Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assumptive Roleplaying... a discussion

I generally try and either go along with a prearranged plan or, if none exist then I just look at the situation and do what I think I would in RL.

If, with on prior OOC arrangements for example, two level 50 Omni come to 'arrest' me in the middle of Clan 100% suppression I'll likely laugh at them knowing they couldn't possilbe subdue and handcuff a level 169.

On the other hand if 5 big burly level 100 Omnipol do the same I'm likely to be easily subdued and dragged off. 100% suppression doesn't mean 5 big Atrox can't sit on me, tie me up and carry me off. That I'd go along with...

I've put my gun to the head of a 'baddie' in 100% gas and threatened them...but then that's just all bravado... Makes no sense to emote "Nelida blows the head off of so and so" in 100% gas.

Originally posted by Tarryk
    Jynne, that would be AWEsome. The ability for, say, someone to create a zone of low suppression (like a 25% suppression mission), then throw a party there and actually have a weapons check (e.g. RolePlayer check) at the door. Maybe even bouncers inside of various levels, twinked to the max, paid specifically to stop trouble before it starts.
    Can you say give Omni-Pol a reason to exist?

Tarryk writhes his hands together in thought.

This, this is good. TD discussion on this coming up this weekend. Perhaps even using static areas like Beer & Booze. Still a few complications to get over....but I'll be thinking on this one.

Hmmmm.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

With intelligent and creative discussions about RP like this thread I am just dying to get involved. I had no idea how much /emote based RP was going on.

I very much agree with the idea that it would be beautiful if we could get consensual 0% suppression on demand so we could put some drama behind the RP combat scenarios without allowing griefers to just waste anything that walks by.

I am always for anything that can enhance RP without peeing in the pool for everyone else. No game will get it 100% right or be all things to all people but I sure would like to see RP get beefed up whenever possible.

(still looking for a way to break into the RP side of AO)

Originally posted by Tyndall
    With intelligent and creative discussions about RP like this thread I am just dying to get involved. I had no idea how much /emote based RP was going on.

I very much agree with the idea that it would be beautiful if we could get consensual 0% suppression on demand so we could put some drama behind the RP combat scenarios without allowing griefers to just waste anything that walks by.

I am always for anything that can enhance RP without peeing in the pool for everyone else. No game will get it 100% right or be all things to all people but I sure would like to see RP get beefed up whenever possible.

(still looking for a way to break into the RP side of AO)
    Did you find you a nice guild yet hun? That's often the key to getting in some RP.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Well, This has turned out quite well. Thanks for everyone's input.

To clarify a couple of areas, I am interested in RP (like that needs any clarification) and I always try to make ooc contact with people if I'm trying to get a scene happening.

On the flip side, as an OP officer I've often been called in for backup into "nasty" situations.... some of which I am aware of the happenings, and some of which I arrive on the scene blind. I don't consider my character's position in OP to mean anything other than I should be acting like a cop.

The idea of 25% gas empty missions with duplicable keys is excellent and has been batted around before. If only it could be. Having twinked bouncers for hire keeping the peace would make the rp experience oh so crispy.

I have another scenario I'm interested in getting feedback on. As a member of OP, I'm often in the position to give chase to a fleeing suspect. Lets say the suspect is again, a much weaker character (in level) and this is obvious to my OP eyes. They take off running. I give chase. Now, my training in sprinting is far superior to this individual, given as how I seem to move nearly twice as fast as they do at full tilt, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume my ability to catch and trip them up? /me uses an ancient earth technique to throw %t to the ground. Sounds reasonable, and has worked for me in the past. It *is* assumptive, but it is only a first step. The player I've downed can now do any number of things... like getting back up... spitting alcohol in my eyes (which is why I always wear my helmet when on duty) or simply saying, "ok, ok... you got me." So I guess what I'm wondering still is isn't there some amount of assumption that should go into certain situations? Obviously I think assuming I've outright killed you in one blow is a little over the top, but given my cop training there are some things I should be good at.

About suppression gas... I'd like to have more discussion around this. While I recognize this gas exists, I think it is an extremely thinly veiled attempt at explaining away in character a much needed mechanism of the game. When I say much needed, what I mean is that I think there should be places in the game where fighting is allowed, and places where it isn't. As far as implementation, I think the gas is horrible. Are you telling me that out in the middle of the desert are machines that are so intricate and precise that they can maintain an invisible line of supression gas? That's BS. People in RP situations that I've been involved in seem to pretty much disregard it anyway.

What I'd like to see implemented would be something like this:

I would like to have the ability to target someone and fire my weapon in 100% gas without actually doing damage to the person I'm attacking. Now, I can see how this could be exploited by griefers intent on dropping people's frame rates, so perhaps the ability to /rpignore a player or even turn off rp combat in the client would work.

Of course I would contact the person I'm intending to fire upon via ooc tell first.

-Wilin
    Adventurer, Cop
    Omni-Pol
    Last edited by Wilin; Jan 9th, 2003 at 21:30:08.

Talking to your "opponent" in an OOC matter often is the grease that allows RP to continue. It certainly will help to establish what the idividual expects from suppression gas and how they feel about levels or what not.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Originally posted by Wilin
    Lets say the suspect is again, a much weaker character (in level) and this is obvious to my OP eyes. They take off running. I give chase. Now, my training in sprinting is far superior to this individual, given as how I seem to move nearly twice as fast as they do at full tilt, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume my ability to catch and trip them up? /me uses an ancient earth technique to throw %t to the ground. Sounds reasonable, and has worked for me in the past. It *is* assumptive, but it is only a first step. The player I've downed can now do any number of things... like getting back up... spitting alcohol in my eyes (which is why I always wear my helmet when on duty) or simply saying, "ok, ok... you got me." So I guess what I'm wondering still is isn't there some amount of assumption that should go into certain situations? Obviously I think assuming I've outright killed you in one blow is a little over the top, but given my cop training there are some things I should be good at.
    I think if you've gotten to the point where your suspect is trying to escape by fleeing from you, they've pretty much acknowledged their willingness to roleplay with you. Leaving their reaction to your attack after chasing them is a good way to do it not just for the sense of fairness, but also to keep things going and leave something to surprise.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Originally posted by Vixentrox

Did you find you a nice guild yet hun? That's often the key to getting in some RP.
    No, not yet. I have a post in the Beginner's Corner about how it seems almost impossible to even engage other players in conversation let alone find a guild! :P

No, not yet. I have a post in the Beginner's Corner about how it seems almost impossible to even engage other players in conversation let alone find a guild! :P
    There is a forum that is entitled Organizations (Atlantean) or (Rimor). If you clearly state you are a RPer looking for a guild that RPs you should get some offers. Suprised some of the fine folks here have not taken you under their wing yet.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -

Oddly, and while I am fairly biased and outdated as I've only played two Omni characters, neither recently and neither past level 40... I have found Omnis that weren't people I already recognized as being RPers/socializers to, by and large, be apathetic towards strangers. My experiences with starting a new Clan character are usually a good deal more friendly.

You should also bear in mind that there are a lot of low level characters who only try to talk to others in order to get handouts. Some people have made low level alts for this purpose and have, in fact, amassed significant amounts of money by it... and in the process they've caused people's hearts to harden and hurt the chances of truly new players who are looking for much-needed help.

Too, people tend to stick with their existing friends, as a rule
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12