Thread: Hi everyone--and an RP question

Hi everyone--and an RP question

This is an OOC post.

Hello,

You may have seen a couple of posts from me here before, but I thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself more properly all the same.

I've been playing since February, and this is my first MMORPG. I've played pen & paper RPGs a lot when I was younger though (yep, I'm a Hardened Geek).

The RP part of the game interests me more and more, now that I have the gameplay basics down. Most of all I love to make stuff up, here in the game, as well as in other contexts (write short stories etc).

I recently wrote an article, The Ghost of Willy Snelton, which was a lot of fun to make.

I also tried to arrange a Science Conference on Rubi-Ka a while back, but it has proved to be a little too ambitious a project, and it's cancelled due a lack of presentations.

I have a slightly gimped level 41 trader (Kronocide) on Rimor, and a level 44 fixer (Tenfour), that's doing much better, on Atlantean.

I level slower and slower these days, as I'm preoccupied with other things, such as taking pictures for articles.

Anyway, I hope to be able to sneak into the RP community, and make that a signifficant part of my gaming experience, I really think I need that to keep my interest in the game.

And now for my RP question:

Have you ever talked about or considered archetypes or "personality templates"? I know it may sound horribly boring, but I'm just curious about what you think of it. In my experience, role playing is more about immitating fiction than immitating reality, and in fiction, clear, easily recognizable personality types definitely have their place.

I'm thinking that choice of profession would imply something about the personality of the character, which isn't completely unrealistic in my mind.

For example, I imagine that a fixer is kind of a lone rider type, self-sufficient, not too concerned about the law but usually honorable (unless he's a "bad fixer," that is).

With no facial expressions, and a limited set of social gestures, I believe something like this could be helpful for defining characters.

I would love to hear more about what kind of personalities other profession tend to have, and whether this is something you take into account at all.

(I seem to remember something similar to this in the manual, in fact, but I have misplaced mine, so I can't check. )
    Tenfour, Scienceleet, Abhaya, all on Atlantean
    AO Stuff

OOC:

Hi, Kronocide!

I read your story and loved it!

The one thing that you will find is that everyone has their own ideas about roleplaying. For that matter, sometimes these differences even lead to arguments. But one thing is for sure - there is no "right" way to do it. Sure, there are some basic things like if you are more into freeform rp, then at least contact one person on the other "side" if you're going to do something drastic like arrest them, rob them or somehow cause some other conflict, don't god mode and so on.

Some players come up with profiles for their characters and sometimes they do take profession into account. Keep in mind that you aren't limited to emotes that are just in the game like /greet /legshake and so on. You can also make up your own even if your character doesn't actually move. One of my favorites is Nevver raises an eyebrow. Think of basic facial expressions but be more detailed about it:

Nevver smiles
    Nevver smiles warmly
    Nevver smiles wryly
    Nevver grins wickedly
    Nevver grins mischieviously

You can be as elaborate as you want:

Nevver grins then cackles wickedly while wringing her hands!

I sometimes make little scripts. I played AC for a while and really missed *cringe* so I made my own:

/me cringes!
    /scared

Of course, you can also get more elaborate than that. Adding /me's to existing emotes can give them new meaning.

Hope to see you around!
    Last edited by Nevver; Dec 16th, 2002 at 01:56:05.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Hi there Nevver

That's very true about the /me emotes, I hadn't really thought about that. In fact, when I think about it, a lot of "role playing" has been going on in the IRC channels I've frequented over the years, only using /me commands.

One thing I've been wanting to do is to visit Rompa, but I'm not sure how to get there without dying. I will figure it out though, I guess there should at least be some challenge for a clanner to go to an Omni bar.
    AO Stuff

Well, if I were an Omni Fixer and wanted to surprise a friend in Rompa, I would use the Fixer Grid to get to the dropoff point in Entertainment which puts you in Omni Sewars. From there, I would then head south into the Entertainment District, then head to Rompa. If I were a Fixer, that's what I would do.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Thanks Nevver, I'll keep that in mind.
    AO Stuff

Kronocide,

Don't give up on the Science Conference. It was a great idea and it had a lot of support. To be honest I did not submit anything becasue I thought it was over-subscribed.

It's saddly true that support in an online game tends to melts away quickly, but its still possible to get things done. And we need events which are different and intelligent. If you want I can help organise it, after the mad Xmas period is over.

As for the genreal point, Nevver is right, there are a lot of different style of roleplaying out there. Search around, see what suits you best. I think because the need for continuity and good communication lines, being in a roleplaying guild is still the best way forward, but opinions vary.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Krono-
    If you're interested, i'd love to help you give the Science Convention another shot. I am, like you, new to the RP scene and would love to get a little more experience. I have several friends I know would love to contribute to this, we've studied many amazing things on Rubi-Ka, from ancient alien presense on Rubi-Ka to the the discreet but known presence of vampires on Rubi-Ka. Looking forward to a responce.
    Andy French-

( OOC )
    Im sorry I wasnt around to give a hand last time, or I would of jumped at the occasion. I've seen a huge increase in RP'ers lately, and its a good thing, because I sick of leveling, 153 dings is enough for now
    Please contact Prezidential ingame, or leave a response on the boards.
    And by the way, awesome story =]

Thanks, Savoy and Andy.

I'd like to give the conference another go, sure. And waiting until after the holidays seems like a good idea.

First of all I need to locate the forum I set up on EZBoards, I've just reinstalled everything, and forgot to backup my bookmarks. But I'll post it here as soon as I find it...
    AO Stuff

Welcome Krono I look forward to some RP with you. Please feel free to contact me for any questions on current Clan events, organization, or political questions.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Thanks Benj, I'll certainly keep that in mind.
    AO Stuff

I would have presented my pet science project at the conference but then I'd be arrested because the research is illegal.

Love the sci-conference idea though. Don't give up.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

One of my guild members, Variorum, I think was interested in your sceince fair.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Hi all.

I managed to find he EZBoard forum I registered for Science Conference discussions, but since the gold member trial expired it has all gone to hell. Not even the boards I'd configured are there any more.

I will try to set something else up, possibly use a forum I have running on my site that no one is using at the moment.
    AO Stuff

Science Conference time

So, Kronocide, shall we press ahead with this Science Conference? I am happy to help both ooc organising and ic (with RUR) to provide a presentation. If you have trouble with your mesage board, I can set one up at RPcentral for you.

Private mesage me or, if on RK 1 send me a tell and lets get this show on the road, as they say.
    Last edited by Savoy; Jan 7th, 2003 at 18:33:28.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!