Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions on how to tank uber bosses?

Any suggestions on how to tank uber bosses?

Apart from hoping they nerf parry on ranged bosses, anyone here have some suggestions on how to tank high end bosses?

I.E. is challenger worth the nano shutdown?
    Should I just spam mongo, or concentrate on dealing damage?
    or will wearing a pair of pink panties work the best?

I got stuck tanking Ris tonight and I spent more time drooling like the three year old NCU gimped mental retard I am, then as a tank, because of all his stuns. First time I ever tanked anything, and it wasn't a very pleasant experience.
    Cordivae pinches your butt!

You did well Cord :) Ris is tough since he is close combat and manages to interrupt 75% of nanos anyway heh. Just keep doing what you're doing :)
    Level 210 Vanguard Kaelien | Current Equipment
    .theAdventurer | AO Bookmarks

Executing Nano Program: Leet Friend.
    Nano program execution error. You fumbled.
    Leet: roxxor
    Attacked by Leet!

Hm,

from my personal experience the sad answer I would give is: "Reroll a Fixer and get GAIII or better".

I happened to participate in a raid on the Notum Trainee, organized by Smuzz, as allways great fun.
    Thanks to you Smuzz on this occasion.

Our tank, a Fixer who's name slipped me died by a freak accident and the Soldier who has taken over the beating announced that his MK Shield is about to terminate.

So I hit my Mongo-Shortcut ....

Took her three hits to eat throug my 6k of HP (not fully buffed at that moment).

That is on FullDef, with maxed evades, Ring of Luck Defense.

I'm sure I would have survived with support from the start (Docs aware I have aggro, NT's spamming me with layers and the like) but in that situation I visited reclaim in like seconds.

I'd love to hear from any Enforcer being able to tank Bosses like this to rebuild my selfconciousness.

Hugs and kisses
    Steelbuns
    Quote Originally Posted by Primakoff
    You can never deal enough damage to OD even the most average role-player 220 soldier with the right gun, so taunts are your only hope.
    I want to tank The Beast with nothing but a chair and a Concrete Cushion FFS!

Yeah it seems crazy that Funcom pushed Fixers into the tank position, Enforcers should be allowed something like the Adv +10k HP buff ... in fact this is in AODB - Mongo Annihilator - guess it's not ever gonna make it into the game though

BTW Steelbuns - 6k HP?? I'm lvl 148 casting Titan and have around 7k HP when in Mongo mode...what gives?
    Sig sigue sputnik

Originally posted by Kriistof

BTW Steelbuns - 6k HP?? I'm lvl 148 casting Titan and have around 7k HP when in Mongo mode...what gives?
    Coruscating stopped running a minute before this happened and I had no intention to tank so I did not recast it.

And no Mongo running...

I'm not sure about the actual number, but fully selfbuffed I have about 9.2k HP .
    You can never deal enough damage to OD even the most average role-player 220 soldier with the right gun, so taunts are your only hope.

Thumbs up

ummm...fixers suck at tanking...they just can't *keep* the aggro...thus forcing everyone to do less damage over time ect ect ect......you need a tank to be an enforcer, simply because the reflect damage will let u keep aggro.....I have no problem tanking the unique mobs...dunno what your doing wrong

12k hp selfbuffed, 14.5k with doc buffs.

other than the obvious things (all hp buffs running and RRFE) Challenger isn't worth it, just keep mongo running & rage...I wouldn't reccomened mongoing once u have aggro, as it is still screwy...but mongoing to get aggro works.

dunno if that helped, as it might have been incoherent...reply @ school requires me to look like i'm working..

Supersoly lvl 220 Atrox Enforcer
    Fearthis lvl 200 Opi MA
    Tehsoly lvl 60 Atrox Enforcer

and a lvl 160+ sold...

Legion

i've been playing a ga4 fixer recently and it sucks for tanking.

sure, mobs miss so much i have higher effective hp than a few enfs put together but i can't keep agro. mobs miss me so much that they are constantly breaking combat and reinitiating their attack. this opens up windows of opportunity where others can get agro. a non-retarded ( by atrox standards ) enf could take away agro.

if i'm allowed to be the only one doing damage for a while i can tank fine ( but a properly buffed up engie could too ). this forces the people around to do less damage in attempts to help me keep agro ( and not die themselves because they can't evade a pack of 40 rabid leets ).

a ga4 fixer is uber, no doubt about it, but is not a real tank. grrrrr

My guild is going back to Enforcers as Tanks unless we have a lvl 200 fixer with GA4 around, and even then its a coin toss.

Still havent found a mob i cant tank, cept Ian Warr, havent been in on a pull o him, usually we just get the other 4.

Soldiers are of course excellent short term tanks, but after MK drops they are in a heap o trouble.
    Boltgrinder 200 (No Longer Rising!) enforcer. General of Mercenaries of Kai. Dream Setup Current Setup
    CamelLights 62 Nano Technician, To much MC for my own good.

Razi Quote until i change it!

Razi-Away: If you have a doctrine of loving cuddly bears, it means you will go out and love cuddly bears. If you have a philosophy of loving cuddly bears, it means you just love them. It works the same, only replacing "love" with "hate", "cuddly" with a cuss word, and "bears" with a minority of your choice.

My guild has a great Tank....name is Anikitos. He seems to do this.

Pull agro with LOFL, Mongo and his EQB. Everyone in team does not shoot. If Anikitos can't get agro right away and mob is going around whacking people....they are to die without shooting. When Anikitos retains agro, 2 CH docs sync their heals to keep him alive. He Mongos and uses LOFL and just keeps hitting mob all while keeping Challenger running. When Mob has him well on it's hate list, his team and only his team, the Kill Team starts with attacks on full def with no specials. Then after a bit everyone else starts in with no specials on full def. When mob is close to dieing everyone goes full agg and specials.

It seems to work 90% of the time.....the other 10% is just pure entertainment. Yesterday I tanked Ris Lee for about 1 minute.....I don't have any ubber armor other then MKII, and my HP with Mongo was around 12k. Unfortunatly you need a crapload of HP to start with so docs can keep you alive. Ris hits me for 3-5k......and hits fast.

GAIV Fixers are fantastic pullers....but not tanks.
    Last edited by Hemicrusher{LC}; Feb 11th, 2003 at 19:09:55.
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

Anikitos learned from OT

Now, if you want to actually KILL THE MOB instead of taking 200 hours to do so - The tank should do this.

But the best way to tank these mobs is NOT with damage, it's with mongo. Start off with full agg, flurry, get the damage on. Then start to chain mongo. WHen you hold agro - Full DEF, and keep casting as best you can. As soon as the HoT wears off - Cast again. HE/Crunch, whatever you can get are your best friends here, mongo your ass off.

If possible, when raiding get one person to mongo, tell all other enfs to take it easy with mongo and whoever is supposed to be tanking will tank well.

Even if others are on full agro.
    Even if others use specials.

Mongo Powa.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Soldiers can be good long term tanks 2..
    Sbje RK2 Soldier
    Sbee RK2 MA

Yes, should have mentioned that too
    (as long as you have someone on standby to RRFE after MK goes down )
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Talking

Nice suggestions folks
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Now I tend to believe what Kinkstaah says is more true. Anikitos is very effective in the way he tanks and as long as everyone does what he says.....it's pretty flawless.

But I watched Cheeze(sic) from Synergy Factor tank the guy that drops the Sentinal armor. He never ran challenger, just chain Mongoed.......he held agro 98% for the time and when it was lost once, he pulled it back.

I think the key is, is that no one should use specials. Nothing like a massive crit to make the mob look for someone else to smack.
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

Thanks for all the posts, makes me fell a tad better.

Is 9267 HP at level 164 too low?

I have a CAS Body and Queenblade that add to HP as well as 1k Token Board.

I feel sooooo gimped right now...

Need to redo my Eye Implant to be able to cast Mongo Crush I guess.....

*sigh*

Thanks for the support, I have a Gimps Anonymous meeting to attend....

Steelbuns

hmm... just recently started playing a enf again gotta say yes easier to hold aggro with him, than with my fixer, but don't necissarily do too bad with Lay. I use a ql 200 jealousy augmented aggression device little extra cost in psychology there but it works wonders, and I needed the psychology for towers anywys what I usually do with lay is pull and have noone attack till I get aggro, then every time I can hit my device I do so I usually end up holding the agg pretty well that way Just my two cents though.
    Layartic - I have no fear of falling but I hate hitting the ground!!
    Sunebam - What you want me to heal too!!??
    Shatterstarr - Just kinda relaxing to let your pets work!

And a few other toons of no notable mention yet

LOFL

Would the same strategy using LOFL (Library of Foul Language) instead of Mongo work? Or is the LOFL not as good an aggro catcher?
    BigGreen
    Advisor of Rising Phoenix
    www.risingphoenix.org

current setup

Thing is, these mobs switch aggro for no apparent reason sometimes. some more than other. And as kink said, mongo taunts way more than the damage you might do. These mobs have crazy evades and parry whatnot.
    Fluff Molgan Fluffyfluff eqp
    Mglomk2
    Synergy Factor

....have been horribly brainwashed by the prospect of being uber into camping NPCs until their peepee's shrivel (c) Naraya

From what I've seen the raid leader screaming
    FULL DEF NOW NO SPECIALS
    OK LET EM RIP
    STOP ATTACK

And that sort of thing get the job done and the tank keeps aggro.
    I tanked Ris Lee for about 5 seconds though when I got aggroed on accident and it's crazy how these mobs do dmg.

Main difference between Enforcer tanking and Fixer is that the fixer is gonna take less healing while the enforcer require more but his HP is higher allowing more chance for CH between each recharge. For the highest level mobs like Ian Warr or Peter Lee, I strongly suggest an Enforcer because those guys dont miss often and fixer cant take many hits in a row. But for lower level unique mobs, I strongly suggest a fixer, mostly because its way more relaxing for the poor doc who has to keep casting the same heal all the time With enforcer, they are forced to keep casting all the time, over and over, while fixer require healing less often. Keeping aggro is not a problem for fixers. We can do very good damage with our manex. We can even get a wrangle and crat speech buff since our NCU capacity is extremely high. AC buff, Wrangle, Layers, all the HP buffs, Screens, AT, you name it. Our snare is also a great taunter. not as good as mongo but enough to regain aggro
    Last edited by Insida; Feb 12th, 2003 at 06:14:43.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast