Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wishlist: the guardian

Yup,

The new pets can be powerful in expectation of better for other professions. A healthy balance is what we're after.

X
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

bump
    Wingless - MP lvl 158 - Atlantean (Rk1) [Armor]

Rustykiller - lvl 53 - President of Nightwalker

re-bump lol

Yup sorry wingless... I'm getting to this tomorrow I hope.

X

OK,

Since wingless' ideas were in the first proposal and Saty in a way used the ideas to build an actual pet I've combined a proposal that describes the ideas and then suggests proposed pets using those ideas.

Let mw know what you think and I'll add it to the wishlist today.

X

Proposal for Defence Pet
    ==================

The proposal is to replace the currently non-functional Mez Pet with a line of pets that deliver real defence in both PvP and PvM.

The base idea is that the MP would cast a 3rd pet that appeared as a shadowy form surrounding the MP. The shadowy form would be achieved by adding a mesh and would move with the MP. The pet would thus not path separately from the MP.

The pet would remain shadowy until the MP was hit by weapons damage. On the MP being hit the shadowy form would become suddenly solid and absorb some of the damage that was done to the MP. In addition, the pet would 'lash back' at the attacker with a short duration debuff. Different pets in the line would absorb different amounts of damage and different pets in the line sould strike back at the attacker with different debuffs.

The pet duration should be similar to the present Mez Pet Duration. The pet casting requirements should be similar to the present mez pet line (with adjustments for Shadowlands Budgets).

Absorb Shield

The original idea for the pet's absorb shield was that a certain percentage of the damage would be absorbed. So no matter what the weapons attack was, the pet would absorb a certain percentage of the damage. This construct does not exist in the present game and could be replaced with a simple AC buff, though this fits less well with the overall idea.

Layers Shield

Another suggestion was that the pet should act as a layers shield. However, given the long duration of the pet it would not be acceptable to have to recast the pet every time the layers were used up. MPs already find themselves too short on casting time since the introduction of the evocations lines. Instead a suggestion was made that the pet should 'refresh' its own layers automatically. This could either be drawn from the pet's own nanopool or from the owners nanopool.

Debuffs

On each hit that the pet absorbs, the pet should lash back in anger at the attacker with a short duration debuff. Suggested debuffs were:
    • 1) Snare

2) Blind

3) Root

4) Stun

These debuffs would be quite powerful so the debuff duration should be short - perhaps 10 seconds for Snare, Blind, Root and maybe 3 seconds for the Stun. In addition, the chance of landing the debuff should be greater as the QL of the pets rises. The lower QL pet should have maybe a 10% chance of landing the debuff while the higher QL pet should have a 25 % chance of landing the debuff.

Proposed Pets using combinations of these features

Shield pet
    • Duration: 30 mins.
      Absorb: 15-20% of damage

Every 10 sec (upon hit from attacker) the pet attempts to blind or root or snare or stun the attacker.

Debuffs would be random, or set to only one of the types for the diffrent ql pets.

Debuff has 160% resist or a 25% chance of landing.

Replaces the mez pet

No NCU cost.

Layer pet
    • Duration 20mins
      500 layers

Pet automatically refreshes layers every 10-20 sec drawing nano from the MP's nanopool.

Debuffs same as "Shield pet"

Replaces mez pet

No NCU cost.

Short duration shield pet
    • Duration: 15-20 sec
      Absorb 40-50% of damage

Attack/Recharge: 2s/10s

Attempts a debuff every time the MP is hit.

This pet also works as a "moral booster" to the attack and heal pet, and they will be freed from any roots, snares, calms, scares, charms affecting them.

Replaces the mez pet

No NCU cost.

This proposal was designed in the Wishlist: The Guardian Thread. For more information about how the design was reached please reference that thread. To propose changes/additions to this design - please post to that thread.

Last edited by XtremTech; Feb 23rd, 2003 at 14:34:28.

Wink Oh

When I understood it, did it sound much more mp like than the I discovered that mps actually was.

I really want something like that and my reasoning is like this:
    -When your pet is lost (ok, hopefully that will be fixed soon) or you are encountered by more than the monster that are fighting your attack pet, or (as it happens to me more often than not) you get attacked and without doing any damage yourself and your pet doing 'much' are you still the one that get beaten your puny nanomage (weak dodge/evade/duck) body to bloody bits; then can you often just forget about it and write off that xp you earned.

As it looks doesn't it have to be a pet, but I like the visual idea about it being as if it is a pet. Spectre like, ethereal, with soft glowing arms around your arms, eyes that pulsates when you are getting targeted by a mob...
    Perhaps it change hue or colour as higher ql is gained?

Maybe the effects can be different at different qls...if FC/the players doesn't think it is balanced following a linear table.

It is very needed, but at higher levels do the effects it gains need to be something that actually saves the character now and then...no overtwinked mp with overtweaked rifle will get like 10%less damage unless for a very good reason.
    --> But on the other hand, I will.

It would be very nice if a mp didn't have to end up like a soldier/sniper in groups.

To make it a bonus for groups: let the mp be able to cast it on the tank (or the person that is suposed to be the tank)...Of course should it still count against the single pet-of-its-kind limit so the mp simply hands over that advantage to the tank. And suddenly do the mp have something rather good to offer groups AND it is quite unique so no prof need to feel someone are taking their place.

Shadows for Shadowlands...
    Visually perhaps something like the intro picture in diabloII where the necromancer got that really nice looking effect where you choose class on your character (thought a necromancer are far from good looking in the actual game)...unless Strommen & Co finds something even better?

that was good for me

It's in the wishlist now.

Thanks to all for helping work this one out.

X

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123