View Poll Results: Should cluster names be changed to show the skill name?

Voters
529. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

278 52.55%
  • No

72 13.61%
  • I have a better idea... (post it)

9 1.70%
  • Use current name, but add the skill too (Alamexis)

170 32.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Implant and cluster names

I like your idea Kiryat-Dharin. But wouldn't it be easier to find the clusters when shopping if they where named with location first and skill after? If you are using NanoNanny you often know the location of the cluster.

Too many clusters go in the same place.

I'd rather go to S (for Sense) and see 2 or 3 clusters.

Of course, nano nanny is gonna have some work to do...

OH! and couldn't we find something else to do with the left wrist? Sorry, I know-OT, but jus' sayin'...
    Last edited by RoboKa; Jan 30th, 2003 at 16:56:51.
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

After a year and a half, and hundreds of lvl's, I still have a hell of a problem remembering the names of clusters. Changing the names to the actual names of the skill is a great idea.

Your first in awhile.

EDIT: if you do decide to go with keeping the name and adding the skill to it, make the actual skill come first, so that alphabetically, it's very easy to find.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

After assembling my latest QL165 implants I can only say one thing: I'm glad I don't do this every day!

What they need to do is rethink they way we shop clusters. Why not design an in game gui ala nanonanny and throw away the randomness of what clusters are available!??!!

Every implant and cluster should be available in an easy manner. Great moneysink too!

Jesus.

What is your problem people?
    Name the cluster the skill name.

Sense - Faded NanoCluster
    or
    Sense - Faded Cluster - Head

Why is that bad? Just make the process somewhat easier.
    What is with the crazed ideas of making cluster names 50 feet long?

The KISS method please.
    (Keep it simple stupid)

Oh and nano nanny? Just use the show skill drop down rather than the funky and TOTALLY unnecessary funky naming scheme that exists now.

Just make this bloated process easier. Boom. Done.

Originally posted by Phixit
    After assembling my latest QL165 implants I can only say one thing: I'm glad I don't do this every day!

What they need to do is rethink they way we shop clusters. Why not design an in game gui ala nanonanny and throw away the randomness of what clusters are available!??!!

Every implant and cluster should be available in an easy manner. Great moneysink too!
    I really do think the whole system of buying clusters should be revised. I mean, ffs, this is supposed to be the future.

We should be able to walk up to a kiosk that has a nano nanny type interface, work out exactly what we need, hit accept, and they appear in our inventory.

Having to spend countless days looking for the right quality levels is crazy. If it was originally intended as a time sink, don't worry. Having more time to actually do something fun will likely keep people around longer.

Leave them how they are, I learned all the messed up names allready.
    Pimpernickel 220.19 Shade Stuff
    WTB Ogdan/Captured Spirit/Exsequiae patterns 1m per part and always in effect.
    100M for Spirit Siphon QL 272+

preferably keep most names the same just change the few really confusing ones (like change Nanocluster of Marksmanship to Nanocluster of Archery, etc)

as a old timer from beta now planning on returning, i think the names are fine but some coudld use a overhaul

Urborn2die
    *killing omnis at a Outpost near you*
    _________
    Squeezer MP with style,flair and no hair
    Lifebleeder-Crat with a tude
    Whatsupdoc- If you gotta ask.....
    Polymorph- OG Advent when advents were not cool
    Honey007- 50 foot Agent of TIR(screenshot available)

i personally like the names we have on them now, a 'shining nanocluster of bow' just sounds a bit silly.
    option 4 please
    Field Marshal Londino, lvl 220
    Cutting through the forest of reason
    Veteran of Forsaken
    Former Soldier Professional

Silly doc thingy Londina, lvl 175+
    She needs tokens dont ya know.

This is a good idea. The only thing I could even think of to suggest would be to place the name of the cluster ahead of the cluster naming jargon, like so:

OLD
    Shining Nanocluster of Endurance

NEW
    Stamina- Shining Nanocluster

But just bringing the names into alignment would be a big improvement.

I realize we're talking about clusters here and not nanos, but the same adjustment could really help with many current nanos. For instance, There's the whole Augment line (Augment Sense, Augment Agility, Augment Strength, etc.) which appears together alphabetically. But one step up, the Boost line is scattered accross the list (Agility Boost, Strength Boost, Sense Boost, etc.). I think the stat should always be listed first (Boost Agility, Boost Strength, etc.).
    Last edited by Blue Cat; Jan 30th, 2003 at 18:10:29.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Originally posted by Thromp
    Not worth the time or effort or risk of introducing new bugs. There is nothing wrong with the way it is right now. If you don't know what the cluster does it's not that hard to shift-right-click for more info. No need to dumb this down. There are so many very small fixes/features that are much more worth of the devs time. Here is a list of just a few:

- Up/Down elevator icon on team mission mini-map

- Let us use all 6 of our mission slots.

- Area loot messages on any uber/uniqe mob

- /team loot give %t - to help keep nodrop items from being ninjad

- Make fixer NCU progs refresh correctly

- Make TMS cancel any reflect and check for free ncu correctly.
    always (!) good to have someone bring this up, on a thread which has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. trying to bring this to CZs attention? you reckon he doesn't know about these issues, so you have to high-jack a thread and force him to read it, so he'll become aware of them and fix them asap? you know what? i reckon he knows already. give the guy a break, he's doing the best he can.
    Oryl - 143 Trox MA... Troxxoration(™) Get-up.

OK yeah i trailed off on a bit of a tangent, but it was just to reinforce my main point which is, there is nothing wrong with the current naming system and it's not something worthy of the limited resources Funcom has to fix/improve things.
    Thromp Uber Soldat (hehe ok uber for 80 seconds )
    Threefitty UberSquishy NanoTech

I like the ideas that others have said the best

Skill - Type of nanocluster - Location

Swimming - Faded - Lft Arm

This is the best idea (besides the in game GUI like nano nanny and can get exact ql clusters and what not, but too much work for something we do so few times....)

Edit:

btw, werent the prof answers #4 supposed to come out yesterday?
    Last edited by Stimmed; Jan 31st, 2003 at 05:06:14.
    -Stimmed Out
    (The Stimmed Defiler)
    Cratz

Greetings.

Skill - Type Nanocluster - Location
    Sense - Faded Nanocluster - Head
    and

Nanocluster (Type): Skill (Location)
    Nanocluster (Faded): Sense (Head)
    and

Type Nanocluster of Skill (Location)
    Faded Nanocluster of Sense (Head)

Those examples right there, which have been mentioned in this thread, are excellent suggestions for a naming convention. Very simple, very precise, very straight forward.

Please do consider one of these as an option.

Be well.
    TRAVEL TO RUBI-KA
    A website providing maps of Rubi-Ka,
    playfields, Whom-Pah & Grid maps,
    in-game maps, and more.

http://travel.to/rubi-ka

Discover Leety Goodness at:
    http://how.to/leet

Please do not change the names, some of us have been making implants for 1.5 years and learned all the names by heart. If you change them it will just create problems to other people than the ones who seemingly cannot shift+left click the clusters (or use the nano nanny to make their implants which would tell you both, the name of the cluster and the skill it adds to).

change them!

Any of the suggestions Nepentheia requoted would be great, I've only made a few sets of implants, but anything that makes the usual running around shops looking for the right QL etc easier is fine by me.

peekaboo, I don't see how changing the cluster names to skill names will make problems for anybody.. it just takes some of the hassle out of picking the right imps. You won't have to learn anything new or change anything.

As for shift left clicking the clusters, if i'm looking for a specific cluster and don't know what its called, i don't want to have to click through the whole list to ifnd it, or have endless bits of paper stuck to the monitor so i can look it up until i learn it.

I'd really like to see an overhaul of the whole system along the lines suggested here earlier, but i'd be happy with this as a start

Tim
    "If you spend your life looking down, you'll miss the sun, but you'll never fall in a big hole"

Originally posted by peekaboo
    Please do not change the names, some of us have been making implants for 1.5 years and learned all the names by heart. If you change them it will just create problems to other people than the ones who seemingly cannot shift+left click the clusters (or use the nano nanny to make their implants which would tell you both, the name of the cluster and the skill it adds to).
    Not to come down to hard on you for this, but the vast majority of players are people who are not professional imp makers and the names are just to varied to remember.

Saying that we seemingly cannot shift+left click is wrong. Of course can. But why should we have to? I have been chasing down implants and clusters for about as long as you have, and cannot imagine how this would negatively affect you. Are you saying that if your looking for a INT cluster, you don't have the sufficient mental skills to scroll down alphabetically to the "I"'s and find it? I think you do.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Krystanova

Second, your point on alphebetizing is why all the ones in my proposal are sorted by the skill type first. But, it is also very possible (to save space) to do:

NanoCluster (Shining): BioMet (Head)... or
    NanoCluster (Shining): Head (BioMet)... or
    NanoCluster (Shining): BioMet

Nice thought.
    the N.C. (Shining): Head (skill) system would sort it out just like the implant shop and then by cluster name. I salute this. Please make this an option and put my support behind it CZ.

It would also be a lot easier if the clusters had color specific links for its slot. Say all head implant clusters green, and body blue, left arm red, foot yellow... (why do i feel like playing twister?)

Of course that second part might need an icon change but I'd be more than happy with the sorting by location/skill system by Krystanova's statement as it would only make locating clusters as easy as possible.

Also for those thinking of NanoNanny it wouldn't be a problem you just wouldn't need the change from skill name anymore so it would become a smaller program as it can totally ditch the off statement.

Originally posted by Thromp
    OK yeah i trailed off on a bit of a tangent, but it was just to reinforce my main point which is, there is nothing wrong with the current naming system and it's not something worthy of the limited resources Funcom has to fix/improve things.
    whole point of this is that it won't require a lot of work. it won't require coding, it's just a simple referencing thing, probably. something most likely Cz could do himself. ok, maybe not Cz, but someone with skillz, then.
    Oryl - 143 Trox MA... Troxxoration(™) Get-up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast