Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Sheathing weapons

I think this idea would be the least work for people if whatever weapon you use just dissapears, but is still equipped.
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

I wouldn't have to bump so much if this became sticky heh
    Viro
    [200]-[Neutral]-[Adventurer]-{RK1}
    Game first !!! 200 Neutral!!!6-16-02

Me likes it =)

Great idea and a big BUMP on it

Bump for you Viro! ;P
    RK1 - Hajk - Solitus - Lvl 217/DR 16 - Nanotech - Apocalypse
    ---
    Explorer 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Achiever 40%

I wish this thread would die :(

With all the things in the game that need fixing or just plain suck to use its sad to see that a thread of such minimal importance as the visual look of sheathing weapons has such a high reply count. I know most are probably Viro's endless bumping, but it seems like this is getting WAY more attention that it deserves.

Would it look cool, maybe, but you guys want the look without the realistic drawback of sheathing weapons...delay...if you want your weapon to go into holsters or sheaths then you need to also take into account the time it takes to put it away and pull them out. Some weapons are going to be faster then others, IE pistols will draw faster then rifles.

Fix the problems with balance, lag, rubberbanding, PvP, roots, *Multi-Range!* Crappy nanos, crappy weapons, crappy armors, lots of useless items and such first, then MAYBE worry about the way things look when weapons are sheathed...but for goodness sakes Viro please quit bumping this thing until more important things are fixed. This thread has been arround long enough that if they are reading the forums at all they've read it, probably more then once. Now please quit beating this dead horse.

Fixes before flashy new things.
    Last edited by Atreyu; Jan 3rd, 2003 at 20:29:12.

Meh 1st time someone hated this thread. ah well..

I understand that there's other issues to be resolved in the game. I jus figure this is somethin nice they could do on the side while doin other AO fixes.

I'll keep this thing goin as long as I can or until I quit AO
    Viro

I don't "hate" the thread

I just see it as a waste of resources that could be better used to fix other problems.

I figure just about anything new added to the game except for items in the DB is going to take a significant amount of time and resources, particularly a visual change the caliber to which you are proposing. Even adding a new item is more work then one thinks as there are loot tables and drop tables that are going to need to be updated and then balanced in order to make sure that things are reasonably dropped for their power level.

Adding a sheathing maneuver is like asking them to add two more doors to your sports car while they change its oil. Its not something easily done while working on something else and its going to have to be its own project and effort which would exist seperate from any other thing they are working on. Thus you'll have them putting effort into this and neglecting some other more pressing and important issue. That's why the continuation of this thread bugs...its because you are in effect of keeping this thing alive are asking them to put aside other issues and put in this change because it'd look cool.

For weapons that sheath on legs, you'd have to create the visuals for the holster's then the make sure that the visuals for the guns fit in the holsters, now you need to make sure that during all the various motions of the character the guns don't poke through the exterior of the holsters. Then you need to create an animation to "draw" the weapon from its spot. Then one to "sheath" them. If they want it to be just a visual thing its a lot easier, but if they want to institute checks to see if the guns are actively drawn or need to be, then that's going to complicate things. What are you going to do if you're wearing an item on your back like a backpack or tank armor? Where are you going to sheath that 2 hander on your back on top of the backpack or tank armor? How's that going to interact with the BP or TA? If you just stick the item to the back of the character model then you're going to see the weapon stick through the BP or TA and look weird. If you want to disallow sheathing in such a case, well now you need to institute a check for back items that prohibit weapon sheathing. This would require you to add some sort of tag to all back items that would specify if they interfere with weapons sheathed on the back.

I hope that the above would give you some idea that this change isn't some simple task that can be done while they balance PvP or reduce rubberbanding and such, but instead its a major undertaking that will take a considerable amount of work. Most of the tasks that need to be done in the game have nothing to do with visual things like sheathing weapons, so its not like they can add this while fixing an existing visual character model bug.

This thread has existed for the better portion of a year, it even got a response from Cosmik when he worked at FC. It HAS been seen, there is no need to keep bumping it.....

Please

Angry The Thread Haters

Cranky Boy needs a Nappy Nap!

Re: I don't "hate" the thread

Originally posted by Atreyu
    I just see it as a waste of resources that could be better used to fix other problems.

I figure just about anything new added to the game except for items in the DB is going to take a significant amount of time and resources, particularly a visual change the caliber to which you are proposing. Even adding a new item is more work then one thinks as there are loot tables and drop tables that are going to need to be updated and then balanced in order to make sure that things are reasonably dropped for their power level.

Adding a sheathing maneuver is like asking them to add two more doors to your sports car while they change its oil. Its not something easily done while working on something else and its going to have to be its own project and effort which would exist seperate from any other thing they are working on. Thus you'll have them putting effort into this and neglecting some other more pressing and important issue. That's why the continuation of this thread bugs...its because you are in effect of keeping this thing alive are asking them to put aside other issues and put in this change because it'd look cool.

For weapons that sheath on legs, you'd have to create the visuals for the holster's then the make sure that the visuals for the guns fit in the holsters, now you need to make sure that during all the various motions of the character the guns don't poke through the exterior of the holsters. Then you need to create an animation to "draw" the weapon from its spot. Then one to "sheath" them. If they want it to be just a visual thing its a lot easier, but if they want to institute checks to see if the guns are actively drawn or need to be, then that's going to complicate things. What are you going to do if you're wearing an item on your back like a backpack or tank armor? Where are you going to sheath that 2 hander on your back on top of the backpack or tank armor? How's that going to interact with the BP or TA? If you just stick the item to the back of the character model then you're going to see the weapon stick through the BP or TA and look weird. If you want to disallow sheathing in such a case, well now you need to institute a check for back items that prohibit weapon sheathing. This would require you to add some sort of tag to all back items that would specify if they interfere with weapons sheathed on the back.

I hope that the above would give you some idea that this change isn't some simple task that can be done while they balance PvP or reduce rubberbanding and such, but instead its a major undertaking that will take a considerable amount of work. Most of the tasks that need to be done in the game have nothing to do with visual things like sheathing weapons, so its not like they can add this while fixing an existing visual character model bug.

This thread has existed for the better portion of a year, it even got a response from Cosmik when he worked at FC. It HAS been seen, there is no need to keep bumping it.....

Please
    Why not? First of all, if they did ever implement it, the weapon would probably disapear until you used it. They call those "half-assed jobs". Second of all, no ideas ever get implemented unless there is an influential person behind it, so dont worry about it. In the end it comes down to whos having fun . If Viro likes bumping his thread (which does have a cool idea) then thats fine by me. Eh...its like those guys on the social forum who try to kill spam threads... theres no point.
    Cronoco

*BUUUMMMP*hehe miss me?
    Viro

I'll bump this too.. I'm all for it.

As a side note, scabbards and holsters themselves don't need to be added, so no worries if an item will fit. Just putting the pistols on your hips, the blade on your back, or whatever, is fine by me. They added more emotes, so I see no reason they can't add 3 new animations for pulling weapons...

After the spam in this, I'm amazed this thread hasn't been moved to the social forum...
    Cronoco

Great idea

Hey ..

Ooh, I like this idea.
    *Bump*

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789