Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character Crisis

Character Crisis

Hey, this probably sounds pretty noobish, but here goes

I started AO a little over a month ago, and im loving it. My current main is a level 80 Fixer, which has been my favorite character since i started him on Jan 2nd.

My problem is, i want to make a new character =) I want someone that is: fun, inclined to teaming (i dont solo), strong/useful, and maybe (though not necessary) able to PVP.

I cant choose a profession though, all the choices seem relatively fun, but i cant choose.

Can you guys post your favorite profession and reasons? What should i play? =)

Be a doctor and your team will love you.
    Be an enforcer and your doc will love you.
    Be whatever you want - It took me making an alt in nearly every profession (except crat) before I finally figured out the profession I wanted to play to 200.
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

If you want a profession that's loved for its usefulness, powerful attack ability, handy team-nanos and PvP ability, then the Engineer profession is *not* what you want.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

Well, as already said, enfs and docs rarely go wanting for a team.
    Fixers too are very popular, and then it becomes a bit harder.

However, Crats are extremely rare these days, and although they are heavily gimped, most agree that they are the best mezzers in the game. And mezzers are also very popular, because when a team doesn't have to worry about adds, the mission goes much faster.

Also, you get a lot of sympathy, and nanos with cool names, like Demotivational Speech: Let's form a commitee (sp?) and other such things.

Plus a pet that (and correct me if I'm wrong here) is even more useless than MP or Engie pets.

Advies are fun too, because we get morphs and can charm leets (which sorta makes us the absolutely lamest of the pet users) and get to heal second best. In addition to that, even though it's pretty much ALL crap, advies get the most boss loot in the game too.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

Originally posted by Revelator
    Well, as already said, enfs and docs rarely go wanting for a team.
    Fixers too are very popular, and then it becomes a bit harder.

However, Crats are extremely rare these days, and although they are heavily gimped, most agree that they are the best mezzers in the game. And mezzers are also very popular, because when a team doesn't have to worry about adds, the mission goes much faster.

Also, you get a lot of sympathy, and nanos with cool names, like Demotivational Speech: Let's form a commitee (sp?) and other such things.

Plus a pet that (and correct me if I'm wrong here) is even more useless than MP or Engie pets.

Advies are fun too, because we get morphs and can charm leets (which sorta makes us the absolutely lamest of the pet users) and get to heal second best. In addition to that, even though it's pretty much ALL crap, advies get the most boss loot in the game too.
    I don't consider crats gimped at all.

They have awesome speeches including +100 to attack rating, +300 to defenses, 7% crit speech that only takes 1 ncu, etc, they have decent nukes, aoe mezzes (which also are aoe init debuffs in pvp), roots, the whole nine yards.

Their pet is stronger than MP pets, believe it or not, and they have the ability to charm two MOBs, for an incredible amount of damage.

It's just my opinion, but I am havin a hard time seeing that as being gimped. They have better defenses and offenses than an MP. It seems the main area that they are lacking in is the ability to heal themselves, but that's made up for in their other abilities
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Totally agree on Crats. I have one level 80ish and it rocks. pet + 2 charms kicks ass. I was soloing Chaos Minions at NW mines at level 40. If PvP is a concern choose NT over Crat. Better nukes and NS.

Ive made a crat, made level 5 in newbie backyard before i had to log (:P)

Do these level fast? I messed up by maxxing mat met every level (before i realized crats dont use mat met), the char will be fine right?

Maybe after that ill level my doc (level 36 right now), once i have some more cash (from calming missions on crat, and blitzing on Fixer)..

After that Enf, or for fun Agent or *gulp* Engi =)

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Revelator
    [BAdvies are fun too, because we get morphs and can charm leets (which sorta makes us the absolutely lamest of the pet users) and get to heal second best. In addition to that, even though it's pretty much ALL crap, advies get the most boss loot in the game too. [/B]
    OMG... I once looted from a team mission boss - 4 nanocrystals: kin of tarasque, 2 discs: kin of tarasque, and the rest of the loot was terrible too. Damn the Tarasque!
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

Originally posted by Cronos
    Be a doctor and your team will love you.
    Be an enforcer and your doc will love you.
    Be an Engi and .. uh... errr..

(I have a lvl 123 Engi )

Hey Shef, crack that engie out of cold storage some time and lets go borg hunting!

--
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Originally posted by Kzak
    If you want a profession that's loved for its usefulness, powerful attack ability, handy team-nanos and PvP ability, then the Engineer profession is *not* what you want.
    LOL

kymmie
    Izola "Kymaene" Thompon
    Board Member, Black Orchid

u should check out this thread

Great read..., even for veterans

And yeah, Crats are the Shizznitz
    - Shin1 - The 'Crat Gimponator and Hecklerherder eqp
    - Unit Member of Storm - Official punching bag (TM)

"Being the master of crowd control means nothing when you can't crowd control at raids and most static dungeons and pvp and high level missions and players with high innate resistance and then one day you finally realize that there are more things that you can't crowd control than what you're able to."
    -Kithrak- Crat Professional

Originally posted by Kenlon
    Hey Shef, crack that engie out of cold storage some time and lets go borg hunting!
    Haha, no!

I haven't played him in uh, 6+ months. Hate him.

I do however have a lvl 100 NT which I just recently started. He should be able to team with you (and not get totally screwed xp-wise ) soon enough

Originally posted by THEDEACON!

They have awesome speeches including +100 to attack rating, +300 to defenses, 7% crit speech that only takes 1 ncu, etc, they have decent nukes, aoe mezzes (which also are aoe init debuffs in pvp), roots, the whole nine yards.

Their pet is stronger than MP pets, believe it or not, and they have the ability to charm two MOBs, for an incredible amount of damage.

It's just my opinion, but I am havin a hard time seeing that as being gimped. They have better defenses and offenses than an MP. It seems the main area that they are lacking in is the ability to heal themselves, but that's made up for in their other abilities
    Just out of curiosity. Have you ever tried a crat ? if not please do so and you'll see all the failures

Originally posted by Strieder
    Ive made a crat, made level 5 in newbie backyard before i had to log (:P)

Do these level fast? I messed up by maxxing mat met every level (before i realized crats dont use mat met), the char will be fine right?

Maybe after that ill level my doc (level 36 right now), once i have some more cash (from calming missions on crat, and blitzing on Fixer)..

After that Enf, or for fun Agent or *gulp* Engi =)

Thanks guys!
    Anything you spend the first 14 levels will pale into insignificance later, so it won't matter in the longer run, might hurt a little to start with but you'll get over it.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Originally posted by Xzalah

Just out of curiosity. Have you ever tried a crat ? if not please do so and you'll see all the failures
    Was that intentional? You appear to be disagreeing and then ... hmmm.

Anyway, crat's are just awesome at low to low-mid levels. I believe they do start to suffer post 100 though come back later on. Main issue is psychic checks making charms all but useless in teams around those levels, which will hurt your damage capability.

Still, at the lower levels, and for soloing, there is no more fun class.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

Originally posted by THEDEACON!

Don't know nothing about no pet users, having never played any myself. I do know however that while Engies and MPs are rare, Crats are RARE. Like, they stand out in a crowd like a Pit Lizarded Enf running Rage and Challenger!

I see a Crat, I want to go up to them and tell them how cool I think it is that they play a Crat! Especially at higher lvls, I doubt I have teamed with a Crat more than 2 or 3 times since I hit TL4.

In fact, I think I will start one myself soon! Be interesting to try a pet user actually.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

I have played all proofs so far (not very high lvl, though some 100'ish) and my favorite for fun factor is agent!

U allways has a choice in what u want to do, allthough u get kinda gimped using Fp/mimics

Agent looks like the single coolest prof in the game, but from what I've seen its not for the impatient...

Talking soldjer

I just got back in the game after a 4-5 month absence i think in that short time the game has come pretty far! The bad part is ALL my chars got deleted like 49eng and a lvl 64 adv. I just started a new char which is a Soldier. So far im liking it alot i went down in the subway at lvl 5 and kicked some @$$ made it to lvl 6 really quick. Ive played an Agent and yes im an very impatient person and i didnt enjoy it very much (only played to lvl 19) Im considering making a new agent because i have a better understanding of the game. Glad to be back in the game

Raidn (atlantean)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast