Thread: some suggestions from a new player

some suggestions from a new player

Hi,

I've only been playing this game for 3 weeks, but I have a few ideas for some improvements I'd like to see (some of which I expect have been covered before)

Nanos
    I play an Agent and organising nanos is a big problem. I would like to be able to delete nanos I longer want (or even better remove them for resale). I would love more options for arranging them. It would be nice to add extra pages and rename them. It would also be nice if the nanos stayed on the pages I did put them on (a bug I assume). I'd like to organise my nanos by class and utility, not by the color of the crystal. I'd also like to be able to name the pages with my own descriptions. I wouldn't mind if it made the nano screen larger (indeed resizing it or moving it to another part of the screen would be great).

Map
    I think the smaller map should have more detail - often you don't know that there is a wall or other obstacle in your way.
    I would like the ability to mark a co-ordinate on the large map like missions do - and ideally with a marker on the compass as well. Even if it was a map upgrade or separate device needed to do this.

Selling
    The method of selling things seems very hit and miss - and even if you want to buy something, the channels become just spam. I suspect this is why the sales forums are so busy - but they are equally so busy that finding something on them becomes hit and miss. Your sales/buys end up pages down in just a few hours.
    My solution would be to add another terminal type to the game, the small traders terminal. This would work in two ways. Firstly like a bank - you put in there all the items you have for sale. Secondly people can browse items for sale - but with search controls like a mission terminal so you can select (or not) ql range, item type, profession, slot, etc. You then get to browse all the items that match. You can click on the link of the item. To conclude the transaction either then contact the seller or have an automatic price reservation system, but with the machine deducting a percentage.
    Maybe an advanced version of the terminal could handle an automatic auction - with bids and reserves, but a higher fee.

Play items
    There has to be a better way to reload a weapon.
    When I log in I'd rather not still be sitting.

Clothing
    why do back items (cloaks) look like dresses (on my character) and not cloaks?

Saved options
    I would like for window positions to be saved. I always play with my inventory open and would prefer that the game saved it's status when I exit. Similarly I select the channels and groups I want listed - but the filter should to be activated each time I log in.

Old cynic replies..

Originally posted by Droo
    Hi,

I've only been playing this game for 3 weeks, but I have a few ideas for some improvements I'd like to see (some of which I expect have been covered before)

Nanos
    I play an Agent and organising nanos is a big problem. I would like to be able to delete nanos I longer want (or even better remove them for resale). I would love more options for arranging them. It would be nice to add extra pages and rename them. It would also be nice if the nanos stayed on the pages I did put them on (a bug I assume). I'd like to organise my nanos by class and utility, not by the color of the crystal. I'd also like to be able to name the pages with my own descriptions. I wouldn't mind if it made the nano screen larger (indeed resizing it or moving it to another part of the screen would be great).
    My god all heavy nf profs would like this - my NT and doc esp. Never gonna happen - too much code.
    Map
    I think the smaller map should have more detail - often you don't know that there is a wall or other obstacle in your way.
    I would like the ability to mark a co-ordinate on the large map like missions do - and ideally with a marker on the compass as well. Even if it was a map upgrade or separate device needed to do this.
    Yah - be nice, but it's never gonna happen - too much code to edit the map textures..
    Selling
    The method of selling things seems very hit and miss - and even if you want to buy something, the channels become just spam. I suspect this is why the sales forums are so busy - but they are equally so busy that finding something on them becomes hit and miss. Your sales/buys end up pages down in just a few hours.
    My solution would be to add another terminal type to the game, the small traders terminal. This would work in two ways. Firstly like a bank - you put in there all the items you have for sale. Secondly people can browse items for sale - but with search controls like a mission terminal so you can select (or not) ql range, item type, profession, slot, etc. You then get to browse all the items that match. You can click on the link of the item. To conclude the transaction either then contact the seller or have an automatic price reservation system, but with the machine deducting a percentage.
    Maybe an advanced version of the terminal could handle an automatic auction - with bids and reserves, but a higher fee.
    Well - the auctionbot and shopbot can deal with your aution type stuff (type "/tell shopbot help" or "/tell auctionbot help") but as for user shops - forget it - too much code.... (seeing a pattern?)
    Play items
    There has to be a better way to reload a weapon.
    When I log in I'd rather not still be sitting.
    Spend 30 seconds looking at all the "reload button" threads - then realise that in 30 seconds the forum search engine hasn't found them all..... Might happen - don't hold your breath.
    Sitting on log in - yeah its a pain esp. if you /quit while in a yal and have to remove it, stand then put it back on; in the middle of mort; with several nasties tring to eat you...
    Clothing
    why do back items (cloaks) look like dresses (on my character) and not cloaks?
    Because the original textures are now looking outdated and pretty poor. Changing them would take too much code. It may happen slowely over the next 50mil patches...
    Saved options
    I would like for window positions to be saved. I always play with my inventory open and would prefer that the game saved it's status when I exit. Similarly I select the channels and groups I want listed - but the filter should to be activated each time I log in.
    Actually - most positions are saved - but you log in all windows closed. If you put the inventory in a place, then log out and in again, open the inventory and it'll be in the same place. So 6/10 to FC then.. Believe me when I say, after several hundred logins, you'd have an issue with having to close it again each time...

As you can see - the "too much code" issue is rampant. Good suggestions - I think they'd all go towards improving the game.
    Too much code. None of which provides FC with a product they can box up and put on the shelves. And sell. For money. Which they get more of from existing, repeat purchasers (us). Because everyone in business knows its cheaper to sell to an existing customer than to get a new one. Except FC. Who think existing cutomers are too pushy and should make way for new, easy to control customers who won't complain. On the forums. That they're getting rid of. Wonder if thats a stelth nerf to whiners and those with a legit game issue.... Hmm... Conspiricy theory. Forums = bad pr => kill the forums.

HERE's a suggestion or three:

Change your business model.

Offer a better product.

Fix the basics before you attempt to add features.

Is it me or do I sound like a high-school business text book. Not even college; grade-school almost. (thats secondary, university and primary school for those of us in the UK).

note: I'm aware of the irony of suggestion texture changes take too much code. don't flame me on that.

[/rant]

Welcome to AO Droo - hope you like it here. It's not *actually* as bad as it seems, but I'd advise you to leave the forums quickly unless you want to become as cynical and disillusioned as me. Hell - I've not even got a toon over 100 yet. Just 5 to 90+, 3 of which are gone..
    Please allow me to introduce you to the voices:

The voices, the voices! Stop the voices!

The voices are played by, in order of appearance:

Gragoneye - loveable, hugable, with a fondness for violence!
    Servivious - bitter, twisted and a little unhinged..
    Blindhealer - just a little bit out of her depth!

Proud to be First Order!!

Many good stuff in there.
    Some of which being nice variation on what I already suggested

The more people make a suggestion, the greater our chances.

Gotta check the post in full later today.
    The information above is highly classified and only available to worthy Omni-Tek employees; any individual spilling out this info to filthy rebels will be considered a traitor, cooked alive and fed to leets.
    Phloxom - Engi 86
    My Rimor QL50-120 market place
    Fallen Sword: Free web based MMORPG