Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Refocusing the Community work

Originally posted by Blix

From the IGN Privacy Policy:

"...By becoming a member, you authorize us and our third-party service providers to send you email updates and information about promotions and special offers...."

" By becoming a member, you authorize IGN to share your Personally Identifiable Information with our advertisers. Our advertisers may use your Personally Identifiable Information to send you, via email or postal mail, advertisements or other notices, and it is possible that your information may be shared with others."

http://corp.ign.com/privacy.html
    Oh, thats horribly worded. I've never gotten anything, mail or otherwise, from any of the advertisers.

Here is also what it says, if you are really concerned about your info being shared:

"At a minimum, we require your name, birth date, gender, email address and zip code. The more information you volunteer, the more we can tailor the site and promotions to your interests."

You can register a hotmail or yahoo email address if you don't want to give your personal one - but you won't get spammed.

I will talk to IGN about this policy though - the way its worded is a turn-off.

Rose
    Zachary Sawyer was born at 11:09 AM on September 17, 2002
    Industry Relations Coordinator - Warcry.com
    Visit AO Warcry - http://ao.warcry.com

And we're not placing the responsibility of communication on the fan sites. Not at all. That is still on us, and we want to do more of it.
    Well why do you remove some of the most important game related communication we got ?
    And forcing them to use 3rd party sites for that kind of communication ?
    if you have any secret plans on making a new board, or anything else please tell.

I appreciate that people devote their time to the community like AO-Basher and the rest of those sites. but I dont want to use their msg boards for communication that should have stayed on your boards.

but I guess we are all speaking for deaf ears here. they made a decission that is not affecting in-game play and balance and hence not related to the 12.95 we pay for playing the game. talking to each other and such, thats just a pure bonus we get while playing.
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

Originally posted by Cz
    Sid Scheer, I'm not familar with the expression you're using ("to wash its hands of its roleplaying community"), so I don't know what to answer.
    Its from the bible (and Roman history). After crucifying Jesus of Nazareth, Harod went to wash his hands. Symbolicly removing his guilt and responsibility for the act.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Oh i forgot.. we have the same forums Funcom has here on AO Stratics. So if you absolutely need all of the forums you have here now (of which many will be closed) you can come to us Our forums do not have pop-ups, as that would be really bad. Youc an find them here
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Originally posted by Rosethorn
    I will talk to IGN about this policy though - the way its worded is a turn-off.
    LOL! The way it's worded is to clearly say exactly what it means! It's not something different that is just poorly worded. It ACTUALLY IS an agreement that IGN can do those things.

Go ahead and "talk to them". Nothing will change as a result - because it says what they need it to say - and I feel sure that lawyers have approved or written it.

Martek

Just to bounce off the real topic for a sec..but the real topic is NOT bashing IGN's privacy policies..can we get off it and get back to the problem at hand, please? Danke.
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

We do have ads on the website to be able to provide the content/boards, you are right. Spamming with ads doesn't seem like a correct definition though. Almost all websites on the web have ads of some form.

IGN does not sell your email address or your mailing address however - why on Earth you thought that ???

You won't even get IGN mail if you click off all the newsletter options when you sign up.

Rose
    This is far off subject but I've dealt with you people on this before.

Any ideas why 2 weeks after registering on IGN I started recieving mail to my house addressed SPECIFICALLY to me from Match.com and a few other internet "Romance" sites? I don't frequent any of their sites. Never been to any of them...but suddenly after registering with IGN I'm getting specifically addressed mail from them.

When I investigated, your "Limited Tech Support" told me the same thing you just said...we do not sell email or physical addresses. But when I finally cornered a manager at Match.com I was told that my address was bought bulk, and that "lots of websites sell your personal information to other sites" for "marketing purposes".

Probably coincidence eh?

I can understand your positive argument for this. Your company stands to make a good increase in advertising revenues when this all occurs.

But sorry...it won't be from me. Like I said in my previous post, as soon as I feel like I'm not in a community anymore....I'm not paying to play the game anymore.

And essentially IGN, Stratics and every other corporate site out there could give a leets arse about community. Its all about numbers. How many ads did we expose our viewership to today? And hiring admins that work for free to use the "shut the heck up" bat on people that might not have brilliant and glowing things to say about Funcom's game.

The more I read your responses Rosen....the more I feel theres alot more to this decision than just poor Cz being overworked.

Let me put it bluntly. I'd rather Funcom upped their monthly fee to 20 bucks a month and hired Cz some help and actually had the money to finance themselves into getting more involved in their game than EVER coming to IGN and paying you people your stupid Insider fee just so I can have a fully functional forum.

And essentially IGN, Stratics and every other corporate site out there could give a leets arse about community. Its all about numbers. How many ads did we expose our viewership to today? And hiring admins that work for free to use the "shut the heck up" bat on people that might not have brilliant and glowing things to say about Funcom's game.
    Do you really think I or anyone else on the Stratics staff would do the work we do on the site if we didnt give a "leets arse" about community? We are *all* about community, but somehow that needs to be paid and the money doesnt come in on its own you know.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.

Originally posted by Kasimir
    Just to bounce off the real topic for a sec..but the real topic is NOT bashing IGN's privacy policies..can we get off it and get back to the problem at hand, please? Danke.
    Actually the policies of these fansites are very important since Funcom is essentially going to force us into using them if we wish to remain part of this community.

Based on their (you have no) privacy policy, I won't be using IGN.

Based on Meister's "vee haf vays uf modahating joor posts!" statement earlier in this thread, and my perception (be it right or wrong) of his attitude in general, I won't be using Stratics either.

I'm sure something will come up that will keep me from wanting to use Basher, either.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Coincidentally, I wonder how appreciative the fan sites are of the fact that all the traffic being shunted from the official forums to their servers will likely cause their bandwidth usage (and thus their monthly bills) to go way up.

Ironically, the first thing that came to my mind when I read about this was that it was being done in part to free up bandwidth being used by the boards. In any event, this change is mind boggling. Like Noer said, as a paying customer, if I have to scour 3-4 different sites just to find one piece of information, I probably will not even bother. From the perspective of a potential customer, I'd only have to wonder why the company responsible for the game was making such a move.

Boneheaded. Is Funcom honestly trying to drive people away?
    Gogo "Atremis" Yubari
    220 MA - RK1
    Tranq

There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: Re: Re: Anarchy Online Vault

Understood Blix - but you may have a little better shot getting them answered by submitting them to me for my weekly Q&A, especially if its a bug/gameplay/future of the game type of issue.

The developer Q&A comes directly from Cz and company. I submit the questions players care the most about and they answer them.
    Rose
    My problem is this: Everyone has an agenda. Myself included. If I was the one to submit the most 'cared about issues', you can bet that fixers, poor customer service, and rampant lag issues since 14.6 (sorry, have to get that in as often as possible) would be at the top no matter what.

On the official forums, at least everything was equal (i.e. everything had about the same amount of chance as being read by a representitive of FC). Now we will have a group of self-imposed player representitives forwarding the most important issues of the day to FC. Not good.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

Originally posted by Jynne
    Actually the policies of these fansites are very important since Funcom is essentially going to force us into using them if we wish to remain part of this community.
    I'm trying to be a bit more positive about this and not give up yet.
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

Cz:

This action of closing the Role-playing forums will end up to be a huge mistake for the RP community that mainly exists on RK1. The players that regularly post and talk here are some of the most active players in the game. Forcing them to go and use 3rd party web sites is redundant to what genre you consider your game to be a part of:

Multiplayer Role Playing Game

This action of closing the RP and many other forums will be comparable to shooting your self in the foot. Please read these threads posted on the soon-to-be dead Role Playing forum.

Thread 1
    Thread 2
    Thread 3

((Sorry about the size of the font before the edit.))
    Last edited by Lesentia; Jan 20th, 2003 at 22:23:53.
    Randa "Lesentia" Forejt

Whisper's Edge

"Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill..."
    -Cypher, The Matrix

Coincidentally, I wonder how appreciative the fan sites are of the fact that all the traffic being shunted from the official forums to their servers will likely cause their bandwidth usage (and thus their monthly bills) to go way up.
    Hum.. at this time our bandwidth usage is really low.. (well low as in that it could be around 10x that much and would not be bad), so don't worry, the increased bandwidth usage on Stratics at least will not be bad for us

The slowdowns on the webserver are often times due to some hardware problem. I am not exactly sure whats going on there, but our Network Director "Jhariden" is always hunting down any problems and so far it have always been hardware problems with the webserver (we got 3 servers for the main Stratics stuff: webserver, forumserver and email server). The forums are ok the way they are, the webserver is a bit slow, i agree.. but that is not due to lack of bandwidth
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol

Lesentia

I dont think your links work like you intended.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Closing the roleplaying forum is not *that* bad. There are places you can go to to keep posting the same things you posted on the RP forum, just not here. Recently there has not been much activity on the RP forum or the Storyline forum anyway. Instead of being afraid to move to new territory, I am excited to see how this change affects the community in the long run. I can already say that our forum activity on AO Stratics has increased
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol

Originally posted by Meister

The Stratics forums are moderated, thus we will not allow the amount of flamewars and *****ing that has occured on these forums here during the last 2 years.
    Well, that about says it all.

Welcome to Stratics, the slow loading, care bear, fan boi site elite for Fun Com's downwardly spiraling game Anarchy Online. Here, you can find out exactly what people mean when they use words like "credits", "missions", and "imps". Feel free to join our forums to express your undying love and actual physical lust for all things Fun Com. Please, if you aren't going to post someting nice and fuzzy, don't post anything at all.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

good move, thanks Cz
    Pre-14.6 Freshman Boycott "Toolboxau" Canada - Legend 200 - Unit Member of Reborn - Proud American and Proud Conservative

ChanOP in FC's offical #anarchyonline; visit irc.funcom.com

Some say this country's just out looking for a fight
    Well after 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right
    Have you forgetten?

Originally posted by Meister
    Closing the roleplaying forum is not *that* bad. There are places you can go to to keep posting the same things you posted on the RP forum, just not here. Recently there has not been much activity on the RP forum or the Storyline forum anyway. Instead of being afraid to move to new territory, I am excited to see how this change affects the community in the long run. I can already say that our forum activity on AO Stratics has increased
    Excuse me.

Role-Playing
    A forum for out-of-game role-playing and storytelling, including player events (but remember the calendar too). 12541 (Posts) 1398(Threads) (Last post) January 20th, 2003 12:32:01

Got more on your forum corporate man?

We like it here. The functionality of these forums makes it easy for us to change identities to reflect the character we are roleplaying at the time. The character icons, the people we know here, this is why we like it here.

And because this is where the story IS.

I'm not looking forward to how this is going to affect the community in the long run. As far as I'm concerned you and IGN can split up all the ub3r l33t d00ds amongst yourself and laugh like maniacs at all the free money Funcom just gave you.

If I'm judging the RP community accurately, none of us want any part of either of your forums. Theres a few people willing to accept it...but overall, the general feeling is no.

But like I said earlier, its not about quality. Its about NUMBERS for you guys. You could care less where the RP crowd goes, just like it seems Funcom does...because we're not a "market significant demographic".

Your opinions are noted, and are seen for what they are. Good intentions with dollar signs thinly veiled behind them.

Heh dollar signs.. all our staff does the work on Stratics for free and we dont get a single cent for it. If there was more activity regarding roleplaying in general, there would maybe even be news to post
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast