Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Refocusing the Community work

Originally posted by Kuroshio

I've pretty much stayed out of this topic so far. Felt the heat coming off it 6 subforums down and said not on my life. But this statement I couldn't pass up.

I've had a forums account at AOVault and AO Basher for longer than I've had an AO account, since they were operating before AO was. I think I might even have a Stratics account as well. I've never in all that time received a single spam email I can begin to track back to any of those sites. And I'm fairly proficient at backtracking spam email. So if they've sold my email address to someone, they've been extremely subtle about it.

As for this particular move, well quite frankly it sucks things that would get me banned for repeating

Moderators on a fansite have 0 liability for their actions. People at an official site have to answer for their actions eventually since they have the official endorsement of the company. If Solarax or Nevver go ape**** one day (not saying they, specifically would but those are mods I can name off the top of my head), there's nothing that can be done about it.

And there's the whole argument about hopping all over the web for information. I do that enough whenever Funcom gives sneak peaks at stuff, trying to collect all the information. Having to do it for regular stuff just isn't my cup of tea.
    Kuro I'm not trying to flame you here but I have some proof.

Back while I was playing DAoC, I used the IGN boards because there is no forum support for DAoC by Mythic.

Needless to say, I decided to use my AOL email because I never use the account.

I'd never used the email to register ANYWHERE before. In fact, before registering with IGN with that email account I never got any email to it.

Now, I did that back in May of last year. Within two weeks I started getting spam...., and even physical mail to my physical address that was addressed directly to me.

Here is a picture of my AOL Email Box now....and I've never used it for anything...I've just kept the account as a dial-up back up if I'm traveling.

There were 124 messages in my box. All of it spam, with the possible exception of the one message that appears to be from AOL....but really isn't. After I checked it...it was just a false email name sending me more spam...the body content of the email was inviting me to come see "LIVE NUDE COLLEGE GIRLS" on their webcams.

Now...thats 124 messages. But if you keep in mind that I logged into the account last Friday because my wireless was on the fritz and deleted 297 messages. Thats 400 pieces of SPAM in less than a weeks time.

And the only place I ever used that email address at was....you guessed it Camelot Vault IGN so I could use the Nimue(RP) forum.

Sid Scheer, and your speculations... smells faintly weird... of conspiracy theories all over the place.

The process was started long before the fan sites got into this. We even kept them in the dark until just before Christmas. You're looking for black hats and mirrorshades where there are none.

I'm positive right now about keeping the RP forum, for the reason several people gave me; AO is an MMORPG. Thus having such a forum on this bulletin board is as beneficial to new players as the Beginners' Corner and the profession forums.

Also, the events people have requested it stays here, as they use it to keep people under surveill... *cough* stay updated on player events.

its the black helicopters, watch out for the black helicopters........

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Cz, you understand that many of your customers have no interest at all to go to a fan site to get info of what happening in AO?

We will continue to post here in those forums that are open and instead of less work, you will get more work.

I also want you to promise me that I never will get any spam mail if I register on the forums on those fansites.

You already have pretty bad customer support, with this change you really going even farther down
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Originally posted by Cz
    Sid Scheer, and your speculations... smells faintly weird... of conspiracy theories all over the place.

The process was started long before the fan sites got into this. We even kept them in the dark until just before Christmas. You're looking for black hats and mirrorshades where there are none.

I'm positive right now about keeping the RP forum, for the reason several people gave me; AO is an MMORPG. Thus having such a forum on this bulletin board is as beneficial to new players as the Beginners' Corner and the profession forums.

Also, the events people have requested it stays here, as they use it to keep people under surveill... *cough* stay updated on player events.
    Hahah and ummmm hah.

I know it sounds weird but it looks even weirder from where me...Mr. Customer who doesn't know jack diddly about whats going on sits.

And thats where all the customers sit. I didn't comb the forums looking for conspiracies...I went to the Story Discussion forum and bam...there it was right in front of me. I read it...and I came to what is called a "conclusion". Doesn't mean it was the right one...but when you put the two situations together it smells.

Sorry.

I am glad that you've decided to seriously consider keeping the RP forum. And I hope that comes through tommorrow when the pruning occurs. The RP crowd will do whatever we can to ensure you don't have to worry about moderating us overmuch...up to and including hunting down and viciously killing any Omni, Neutral or Clanner that starts raising too much trouble.

And pretty much with that...I'm satisfied. Roleplay is an integral part of this game. And if the roleplay forum and events calendar stays...I'm happy.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Cz
    I'm positive right now about keeping the RP forum
    Well, that's good news . Thanks Cz.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Originally posted by Cz

CZ, Excellent news. thanks amigo.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Originally posted by Sid Scheer

Kuro I'm not trying to flame you here but I have some proof.

Back while I was playing DAoC, I used the IGN boards because there is no forum support for DAoC by Mythic.

Needless to say, I decided to use my AOL email because I never use the account.

I'd never used the email to register ANYWHERE before. In fact, before registering with IGN with that email account I never got any email to it.

Now, I did that back in May of last year. Within two weeks I started getting spam...., and even physical mail to my physical address that was addressed directly to me.

Here is a picture of my AOL Email Box now....and I've never used it for anything...I've just kept the account as a dial-up back up if I'm traveling.

There were 124 messages in my box. All of it spam, with the possible exception of the one message that appears to be from AOL....but really isn't. After I checked it...it was just a false email name sending me more spam...the body content of the email was inviting me to come see "LIVE NUDE COLLEGE GIRLS" on their webcams.

Now...thats 124 messages. But if you keep in mind that I logged into the account last Friday because my wireless was on the fritz and deleted 297 messages. Thats 400 pieces of SPAM in less than a weeks time.

And the only place I ever used that email address at was....you guessed it Camelot Vault IGN so I could use the Nimue(RP) forum.
    Heh...and my Comcast email account, which I've never used since I've long established my identity to other email addresses, has spam in it as well.

I know where most of the spam email that goes into my throwaway accounts come from. The accounts I've put into for AO Vault and Bashers are still pristine as far as spam goes.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

As someone who uses her screen names at AOL just for throw away e-mail accounts I can safely say that AOL e-mail accounts are spamwhores no matter where you use them.

AOL e-mail accounts are notorious for the amount of spam that gets dumped into them.

Originally posted by Cz

Cz...I love you. Funcom...you made the right decision. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I hope the forum change gives you the chance to spend more time with us. You're "our guy" and I think everyone wants you to find time to do more for/with the community.

Grateful,

Player of Lille

Originally posted by Miria
    As someone who uses her screen names at AOL just for throw away e-mail accounts I can safely say that AOL e-mail accounts are spamwhores no matter where you use them.

AOL e-mail accounts are notorious for the amount of spam that gets dumped into them.
    Thats entirely possible too Miria but my AOL account is about 5 years old.

Yes it would occasionally get spam over that time. But nothing to the level of ridiculous its been since May of last year. 400 pieces of spam in a week is ridiculous for an account I don't use anywhere.

Closing the forums is riduculous. As paying customers we hardly ever get feedback from FUNCOM about several issues in the game, but through this forum we communicate ideas to each other on how to solve problem, from can't get the game running to help with quests. The players here solve their own problems with out funcoms help. Taking this away from us is taking away another feature of the game. I know I will NEVER register at the AO fansites, I dont' have time to go and check 12 different locations because you have chosen to split the players up over all the different fan sites. to be honest I would rather keep things how they are, because honestly I dont' see how this move will in anyway help the players. Maybe funcom should request help from the Paying customers, because it seems like we fix more problems than Funcom does. This is OUR game now, quit taking it away from us. Well, I along with many other players truly belive this is definatly a wrong move from Funcom. you know it seems like when you guys something right (I.E. The new patch) you go and do something trulely asanine. well My posting days are over. I really hope you guys start making some sound decisions and support the customers more....
    RK-1
    ------------------
    Nrse.

It's true, Cz, that in predicting that there will be further cuts in customer service and customer relations areas, I am guessing. However, it's a best-guess based on the information at hand:

1. The company president changed.

2. Developers have been cut.

3. Customer relations has been cut to one person. Customer service emails already seem to be handled primarily by one or two people.

4. The Live Events team disappeared, and Ragnar was "let go." Story activity dwindled and then disappeared.

5. The main webpage hasn't been updated with any player articles, let alone story updates, for over a full month.

6. The NW launch was an almost unmitigated disaster with the existing playerbase, and doesn't seem to have increased the subscriber base by much.

7. Funcom is now in the process of taking a step with its customer relations (ie, closing forums) that you, of all people, had to know would be wildly unpopular - for many very valid reasons - with just about everyone who uses them.

8. Funcom refuses to release any statements about its financial situation. Even you, while (correctly) pointing out that I was only speculating, did not directly refute me by saying, "The company is financially secure and is making a profit on AO."

9. SWG is coming.

10. The economy in America, and in the world at large, is generally down.

So yes, I'm not 100% sure that more cuts in customer service areas are to come, however, it is fairly logical to predict it. There is a minimal amount of programmer and developer resources that are required to operate the game at all, let alone continue providing updates to it - but Sony Online Entertainment has proven with EQ that an MMORPG can effectively cancel Customer Service and Customer Relations both, and plenty of people will keep playing, if unhappily.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

*quickly jumps in between two graphic-design classes*

Won't post a novel this time, for I only have 5 minutes switch left on my schedule but this news is a ray of sun. Hoping that the good news stay good news, that is... Grid knows how I hope!... this is... this is... not 'good', but *excellent* news. We don't need lots of place... just some room left in the forums' cupboard to welcome the new, young Rpers ^_¨

Oh well. And here's a bunch of smiles too.

Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Cz, I see many remarks made in this thread about how much work it is to read all these forums and stay on top of fansites too.
    My question to you is, why are you even at fansites? Who cares about them? If you are strapped for time, I would think the first thing to go would be ANY time you spent at fansites. I have never read a fansite forum except once when I had to sign up at SF's website to get into Tarabot. And I am sure I will never go to a fansite forum again. As a result, my enjoyment of the game is going to go down and make the decision to leave the game come that much quicker.
    The solution: Cut out any time spent at fansites by AO staff before cutting out anything from the official site.
    We pay for these forums (yes we do, dont try to be evasive and deny it. Like one person said, we have to pay to have access to these boards, so it IS a part of our monthly fee) and for FC to take any part of that away from us without lowering the monthly fee is wrong.
    It is like the electric company saying that we are going to charge you the same amount as before, but only going to give you enough electricity to run 80% of your house. Do you see anything wrong with that? Well, even if you cant, 90% of your customer base sees the flaw in your thinking. Get it together FC and quit making snap decision with absolutly no thought put into it. Slow down and take some time and consider the implications of your actions.

Thumbs down These forums are too valuable

If it weren't for these forums, I would have terminated my account almost a year ago when I really didn't understand the game.

Your manual is PATHETIC and there is NOTHING that tells you how to do the million things there are to do in the game. These forums are the only thing that kept me from quitting because of the frustration I was having with the game.

If you cut it, you may be cutting a major resource for new players and they may quit before it turns into a serious addictoin, which is bad for your finances.

If it is too expensive to run these boards, you could get volunteer moderators to manage it equally well as your own moderators.

Also, we use this as a means to communicate with the developers.

Sid, I would seriously like to talk to you about your problems. Do you have any way I can contact you? The PM's are turned off so I can't PM you.

Rose
    Zachary Sawyer was born at 11:09 AM on September 17, 2002
    Industry Relations Coordinator - Warcry.com
    Visit AO Warcry - http://ao.warcry.com

Marshrike, I said that these forums take too long to read? It's the other work that takes too long, leaving no time to read.

And I can't see I've been evasive about you paying for access to these forums. I said you don't. I can't be more clear than that.

Now I'm about to head home for the evening. I have some arrangements I need to keep, and some shopping that has already been postponed for too long (my last four dinners have all been spaghetti ).

I'll be back tomorrow, and will check back then (if not from home this evening).

Btw, I won't take any forums down until I'm done with the rest of my tasks for tomorrow, to ensure peace and quiet when the changes are made.

Originally posted by Rosethorn
    Sid, I would seriously like to talk to you about your problems. Do you have any way I can contact you? The PM's are turned off so I can't PM you.

Rose
    My PM's are turned on and I sent you one yesterday.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast