Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Refocusing the Community work

OMG this thread is too hot lol.

But yeah, I think we're all starting to wonder if AO is about to tank. I was talking with a friend about all that. Financial problems are so extremely obvious at this point

I love this game and I don't want to see it go

I need some reassurance :/
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

OH MY GOD! he cant talk anymore!............ fc you evil people... overworking poor Cz... now hes gone loopy!
    TAMIYANA - RK1

Mail Tami!
    ------------------------------------------------
    To fear your enemy is wise.. to know your enemy is wiser still.....

Ok, ok, ok, calm down now. No footness in the thread, please.

Now, I have a few things I need to take care of today, so I can't reply in this thread all the time. I'll read the feedback as it comes in (and maybe post a "read this far now" notice now and then).

I will take the day to look through it all with the others here, and we'll see whether we can find a good alternative. There are good suggestions in this thread, so maybe we can pile it together, cut on other things, and make everybody happy.

Please give some breathing space in this thread though. I'm far too easy to drag into a conversation, especially when people bend my words to mean the opposite of what I said. Knowing myself, I will reload this thread often, and will spend too much time in it to get anything done anyway.

Sound ok? Hope so. Thanks.

Originally posted by Cz
    I will take the day to look through it all with the others here, and we'll see whether we can find a good alternative. There are good suggestions in this thread, so maybe we can pile it together, cut on other things, and make everybody happy.
    Thanks, Cz. It's good to know your (FC's) decision is not quite yet set in stone. I'm sure everyone here will be glad to know that their input is not meaningless.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Just to clarify the Pop problem with some sites

freeware Pop-up killer
    Nuff said, everyone gets spam-mail just delete it.

The reduction in forums, *sigh* I think that's a bad thing for the community as a whole, in the long run it's a bad thing for FC too, and as has been suggested here already once they close the forums down altogether, it's going to mean Cz is out of a job, or at least this one.

I'm not sure I beleive the reasons given, nor am I calling Cz a liar here, 20k posts a day to moderate?(overworked maybe) but FC statements tend to be like political statements, I don't honestley think that we ever hear the whole truth, nor will we ever.

Unless Cz publishes his Memoirs 20 years from now

I think it is a great shame to see all the forums gone, a lot of good has come from there, dispite all the whining and flaming.

Peace
    cal
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

*hugs to cz to help him get through the day and flames*

couldn't we find some middle ground?

how about:

Offical

Beginners

Future anarchy

world of rubi-ka

Test

Roleplay

Techy

Profs (12)

markets

off topic

Last 4 (possibly 5) wouldn't take much moderation. Proffessionals could mod the profs forums, techy is in the hands of the techy bods, you could ignore the markets and off topic forum (possibly roleplay too) unless a thread was reported.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Last edited by lilnymph; Jan 21st, 2003 at 12:05:38.
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by Meister
    The people here who link the closing of some forums to the end of AO or a problem Funcom might have, certainly must be mediums of some kind with spiritual insight into the realms of mystery and shadows. I for fone find such assumptions very much to be without any facts to base them on and simple manipulation of what Cz said to enrage the community against him and Funcom in general.
    Give it a rest Meister.

FACT: Several weeks ago FC announced a major round of downsizing. At the time they claimed that this would not effect AO development.

FACT: The decision to abandon about half of the official forums shows that promise is pretty hollow.

Since FC doesn't have an "investor relations" link on their website I have to assume they are a closely held company and therefore do not need to report financial results. Nevertheless you have to be naive to believe that paring down the customer relations staff to exactly one and the decision to depend primarily on fansites to maintain contact with players indicates something other than dire financial straits.

I have absolutely no desire to enrage the community against either Cz or FC. Cz has heroically defended the indefensible, and I do not envy him for it. FC has produced a very good game, which with an injection of more capital could be great. I am not however stupid. The capital isn't forthcoming. FC is cutting to the bone in an effort to stay afloat. Maybe this story has a happy ending, but the way things look now I don't see it. I say this with regret because I want to see AO succeed as much as anyone. All the indications right now however are that there aren't enough players to pay the bills.

This sounds like a really really bad change to me, will totally split up the whole community, right now it's on these forums we get alot of the info about what's going on and also get to know many other people ingame, now you are forcing us to use fan sites to get same info and will be several diffrent fan sites.

Not all people like fan sites, I think it's a waste of time and to be forced to go to one just to read AO forums really sucks and is nothing I will do.

Leave World of RK, PvP forum and NW forum open (or maybe remove PvP forum and keep NW forum only if you can't afford to have both) so we atleast have afew forums there we can discuss things.

Bad move Funcom, very bad, but you do as you always do and not listen to the players, so we getting used to this too I guess...

{Moderator: It's "Funcom"}
    Last edited by Cz; Jan 21st, 2003 at 13:13:15.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

I'm a very new player/customer and was beginning to become somewhat discouraged (to say the least) when I saw the planned changes to the forums.
    In particular the RP boards.
    My word may have little weight here but as a paying customer surely I have some say?

This however, does give me some hope. Stay true to your word Cz, lets find a better alternative.
    As it stands, the proposed plan is NOT a suitable option. How many people here have said that already?

I think the outline lilnymph has posted looks more than fair, it cuts down your workload while keeping the key components of the community intact.

It has been said many times already in this thread, this is an RPG, please try to keep that fact in the front of your minds when reviewing this decision FC.
    AO needs an RP community and a centre for that community.
    There is no better place for that centre than here.

On a slightly different note, these forums are built on vB, a rather powerful piece of forum software.
    The options and versatility in these boards are HUGE.
    It would be a simple task to setup community moderators with limited access to admin/moderator functions.
    vB is a fantastic tool for managing a community, but rather than reducing that community why not look at how you can utilise the software better with existing resources?
    I'm sure you boffins at FC can work out how to create new user groups for limited moderator access.
    Heck if you REALLY want I'm willing to help hehe
    Last edited by Setunim; Jan 21st, 2003 at 12:14:08.
    Firalon; Would you like a spanner in the works?

Nedax; Grazed knee is it?

A true diplomat knows how to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to the trip...

Hey All,

I'll have to admit to not reading the whole thread through. I just thought I'd drop in to say that I'm pleased that FC is sorting out a manageable workload for the Community Team. Right now covering all of the forums, emails, PMs etc leads to the Community Team not being able to fully cover its advertised role - feeding customer feedback into the design and development process and getting information from the design/development process back to the customers.

We often hear complaints on the forums that FC doesn't enter into a dialogue with its customers enough here in the forums. The hope would be that by refocussing the efforts and workload of the community team, the dialogue will improve. I'd expect to see more of the Professionals Questions being answered as a result of freeing up some more of Cz's time for example. Any overall increase in dialogue and information flow must surely be seen as a positive thing.

From what I can see, the biggest losses will be in the forums where player/player communication is most important. While I'm sure FC could reduce the workload of the community team by simply saying that those forums wouldn't be moderated and covered by the community team, it really isn't viable to have official FC forums that aren't covered by the community team and it would lead to problems down the line.

It seems to me that we can either stretch the work of the community team by spreading it out so thinly that they can only do a mediocre job across all of the information channels - or we can focus the work of the community team so that they do an excellent job on a selected range of channels. I'd rather see them doing an excellent job on a few channels since that's likely to get players more and better representation overall.

X
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

Originally posted by XtremTech
    It seems to me that we can either stretch the work of the community team by spreading it out so thinly that they can only do a mediocre job across all of the information channels - or we can focus the work of the community team so that they do an excellent job on a selected range of channels. I'd rather see them doing an excellent job on a few channels since that's likely to get players more and better representation overall.

X
    True, XtremTech. But with these proposed changes, instead of spreading out the community team thinly, the community itself will be spread out thinly. This is just not the right balance.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Please keep the World of RK, or at least combine it with Beginner's forum.

It's one of the few fun forums left...
    Ashuras - Sol OT Adv on RK-1

Bartle Quotient:
    Explorer 93%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 40%, Killer 13%

Proud member of the Wardens of Omni-Tek

Originally posted by Meister
    The people here who link the closing of some forums to the end of AO or a problem Funcom might have, certainly must be mediums of some kind with spiritual insight into the realms of mystery and shadows. I for fone find such assumptions very much to be without any facts to base them on and simple manipulation of what Cz said to enrage the community against him and Funcom in general.
    Of course there are no facts supporting this theory. You don't need "spiritual insight" to assume something is very wrong with the economy at FC. You just have to read the article.
    Since then we've had several people moving in and out of the team, and perhaps unfortunately, mostly out.
    Why wasn't those that left replaced?
    At the same time, it's always a question of resources, i.e. time.
    Time is money.

The only other reason for this change I can think of is that the so called fan sites have been greasing FC pretty hard for quite some time and FC is going to let you have some.
    All in all, we are sure this will lead to more activity on the AO community sites, both from us and the rest of the community, which is something we all owe to the people behind those sites.
    Either way I don't like it.

I have, during the 17 months I've been playing AO found one (not counting the ones that are db/tradeskill sites) fansite I like: AO-fixer, and that's the only site I'm likely to check.

I have two major problems with this change.
    1. I don't get my information from the official sources on the boards. I get it from the players. If the players will be spread out over 4 (which seems to be the popular number) different sites, it'll be harder for me to find the information I'm looking for.
    2. Less forums doesn't necesarily mean less post unless you plan on deleting everything that you find off topic.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

When I say that this is a part of my monthly fee is because once my account closes soo will my access to these forums, am I wrong?

What I mean is...I think these forus are great and an essential part of the whole AO experience, the fact that itis only open to players who are actually playing is probably one of the reasons.
    Last edited by Raveleet; Jan 21st, 2003 at 12:42:15.
    All the ducks are swimming in the water

The Forums are a free bonus you get when you play Ao ravegrrl, you dont pay for them, but you have to be playing to use them (not sure what happens when you quit, as I never have)

hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Originally posted by lilnymph
    The Forums are a free bonus you get when you play Ao ravegrrl, you dont pay for them, but you have to be playing to use them (not sure what happens when you quit, as I never have)
    That's just playing with words, lilnymph. The fact that you must pay to play, means the 'free bonus' is not free at all. it is contingent on you sending your money to Funcom every month.

Now one of the services that we were given by Funcom for for our money is gone. The value we receive from them every month has been reduced. The amount we must pay has not been reduced.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Well, to use that argument against you, the service has not gone, it has just changed, so we are still recieveing everything as before, so what are you complaining about

hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

This is one of the worst ideas ever.. It's almost up there with NPC pets and half PvP damage/100% heals.

Originally posted by lilnymph
    ...so we are still recieveing everything as before, so what are you complaining about
    Oh stop being silly. read the thread, ya goof.

======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

And one more thing, I hate (and I'm sure a lot of us do) registering on all sorts of 3rd party sides. I find that they more often than not are a way of getting hold of my email address so I can be spammed to death so that they can make a quick buck on running their lousy fansite.

But I guess we just have to use the forums we are left with to cover the topics of the ones we are loosing. I suggest:

* Role Playing - MA forum. Only roleplayers play MAs now that they nerfed crits.

* Organizations - Crat forum

* World Of RK - Adventurer forum

* Tradeskills - Engineer forum

* PvP Conflict - Enforcer forum

* Notum Wars - Soldier Forum

* Tarasque - Traders (<-- Representing greed in this game)

* Story Discussions - NT forum. (All they do is share stories about how uber they used to be with unlimited range in PvP, or how uber they are casting kels and blinds in tower battles)

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast