Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Refocusing the Community work

Originally posted by Zylina
    Has anyone ever wondered why these 'fansites' do so poorly? Because quite honestly, they are very pathetic compared to this board. Yes, cntrl-c that CZ. I'm going to compliment you. The AO board is one of the best in the industry.
    EXACTLY!

Cz.....do you guys really want to destroy something we all like??!??!??
    All the ducks are swimming in the water

Talking ...

Originally posted by Ravegrrl

EXACTLY!

Cz.....do you guys really want to destroy something we all like??!??!??
    Well, to be honest, they've been doing that since June 2001...

Provisioner
    Trader: The trader is the most trade-skill oriented of all professions.

I see...so you all want to chain CZ to a desk and tape his eyelids open to read/respond to every post in the forums??

Phulleeze.

ive read...man too much of this crappola (the forums) and I have to say...(and thi is what the playerbase posts) 80% of it is crap. Its senseless screaming...whining and crying. perhaps 10% if the overall forums are actual substance. Usfull information. theres allot of repitition in here. Someone complains...everyone jumps in. 70 threads are made up of the same complaint. somwhere in those threads...someone might make a good opinion. Its lost because there are 70 threads about the same thing.

Then the person who made a vallid point crys because it wasnt read.

I personally wont mind. Maybe It ill help me filter through all the senseless crap thats posted and get to some real issues. Yes some forums that I like will be "nerfed" but then again..in essence they will still be there..since you can just post a topic somewhere and start a thread.

Re: ...

Originally posted by Provisioner

Well, to be honest, they've been doing that since June 2001...

Provisioner
    Actually, it was before then, cause they probably manufactured the game keys in April or May.

~Chris

Originally posted by Metalynx
    I see...so you all want to chain CZ to a desk and tape his eyelids open to read/respond to every post in the forums??

Phulleeze.

ive read...man too much of this crappola (the forums) and I have to say...(and thi is what the playerbase posts) 80% of it is crap. Its senseless screaming...whining and crying. perhaps 10% if the overall forums are actual substance. Usfull information. theres allot of repitition in here. Someone complains...everyone jumps in. 70 threads are made up of the same complaint. somwhere in those threads...someone might make a good opinion. Its lost because there are 70 threads about the same thing.

I personally wont mind. Maybe It ill help me filter through all the senseless crap thats posted and get to some real issues. Yes some forums that I like will be "nerfed" but then again..in essence they will still be there..since you can just post a topic somewhere and start a thread.
    And what "crappola" is there? Certainly there are some flames here and there, but it wouldn't be AO without them. Even if some people's opinions on issues may seem invalid or totally off (like, saying that martial artists need a nerf or something), people are still entitled to their own opinion.

As others have suggested, if Cz has problems modding all the threads, why not get some ARKs (or forum volunteers) to help?

~Chris

Unhappy ugh...

Originally posted by Metalynx

Phulleeze.

I don't think that anyone wants to tape CZ's eyes open and chain him to the desk. However...

Any GOOD company understand customer relations. This is the closest thing we have to it (They don't quite give us any other options, do they?). Severing this link between the company and the consumer will only drive more people to think "they just don't give a damn". Those people would be right in their thinking...

If FC had a clue, they would find a way around this issue (hire a large force of low-paid moderators, use volunteers, etc).

Provisioner
    Trader: The trader is the most trade-skill oriented of all professions.

I'm a volunteer mod at the AO Vault boards. While the closing of half of the boards on the official forums may seem like a boon to Basher, Stratics and the Vault, I see it as a boon to the players of AO.

Hopefully this means 3 times as much information from FC to the playerbase on issues that are important. Will it happen? I'm hoping it will.

I'd like to clear up a few things I've seen posted about AO Vault and IGN. Yes, you do have to register through IGN in order to post on the AO Vault VN boards. Doing so allows you to post on both the VN and IGN boards. I'm fairly certain that the IGN boards don't have their own AO section, unlike VN.

Registration is free, and all you need to do is register with your name, zipcode and an e-mail address. IGN does not require your physical mail address.

If you're afraid of spam, you are more than welcome to register using a hotmail or other free account.

Yes, the VN Boards are open to posters from other games(AC, DAoC, etc), but trolling another game's boards will result in warnings and/or bannings of the offending party. Our TOS is basically the same as FC's, i.e., no swearing, posting of vulgar content, etc.

We find is that we get lots of people from other games inquring about AO. There are also people who are wanting to come back to AO and are looking for direct input from regular players.

Popups and ads. A month ago the ads were fairly obnoxius. They were scaled back and now appear far less than they did. Someone on the VN Boards posted a list of IP addresses of the ads from IGN, and you can easily put them in your hosts file to block the ads.

Several FC employees do have accounts at AO Vault, standing out with their red user names. FCranium is the most active FC dev, and we hope to get more of them posting soon.

AO Vault has a great and very helpful community, and I would hope that you will join one of the fan sites rather than quit the game entirely. I would hate to see anyone leave AO because of FC's closing of these boards.
    Last edited by Lialyn; Jan 21st, 2003 at 00:52:34.
    Lialyn
    Doctor of the Honored Maidens

It doesn't matter.

The next step will be the layoff of some GMs; shortly thereafter, the ARK program will be cancelled and more GMs will be laid off, along with the customer relations department.

There is a pattern to these things. They can't cut any more devs and designers. They still aren't making their operating costs.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

No Point To All This

I really dont see why people bothered replying 10 pages of posts when it simply makes no difference. Of course people are going to hope that all these posts will show Funcom what a bad idea this is, but it wont work that way. So far Cz's reply to most has just been, I see your point, but I disagree, so I'm right . Sorry but the players sure seem to know more about this game and the community than any of the people who work for FC so I'd think I'd trust their opinion over anyone from FC.

Several other people have already pointed this out, the decision has been made, its going to get done, no matter if there are 1000 replies against it. Cz said saying its impossible to get the decisions on this "swayed" is going a bit far, but he knows and everyone posting here should know that it doesnt matter what gets posted, it "will" happen.
    Last edited by Cr89o; Jan 21st, 2003 at 01:44:26.

Its fairly obvious that FC is in deep financial trouble. I will stay because i have good friends here.... hopefully another game worth playing will appear before AO is pulled.
    TAMIYANA - RK1

Mail Tami!
    ------------------------------------------------
    To fear your enemy is wise.. to know your enemy is wiser still.....

Ugh

ok 1) is this game going under, tell me now so i can not waste time on it... (heh who am i kidding i wont leave... but its getting kinda quiet)

and 2) What ever happened to Cosmik, i have asked several times but never got an answer...
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

These forums are one of the greatest assets AO has going for it. Closing them down is a big mistake. These forums are the cornerstone of the AO community, and weakening the boards will do nothing but weaken the sense of community among players. Sense of community is what keeps people in a game like this. Less sense of community=less to keep people in the game. This will do nothing but give people one less reason to stay in the game.

If lack of man-hours to moderate the boards is really the reason for closing them it would be vastly preferable to simply leave them unmoderated, or just have someone go through and remove the obvious spam and such, which wouldn't take long. Much of the "moderation" that has been done in the past has, in fact, only harmed Funcom's reputation in the gaming community.

This is a game that is dying of a thousand tiny self inflicted cuts, and this decision is a pretty deep one. Funcom is a company that exists in an endless downward spiral of creating wonderful things and then making decisions that undermine everything you've created. AO has been called by many recently the best MMORPG on the market yet you still have trouble keeping customers. The reason is that every time you make a decision like this you drive a few more customers away, and when you add them all together it adds up to massive customer loss.

This entire game could be turned around if Funcom had the ability to make just a few right decisions, but there doesn't seem to be anyone in your organization who can or will make the simple, obvious decisions that are necessary to save it. I guess the gaming world will never know why.

Cosmik was eaten by Cz.... FC dont feed Cz much and the poor boy has to survive somehow. I say we storm the FC HQ and release Cz from his cupboard under the stairs!
    TAMIYANA - RK1

Mail Tami!
    ------------------------------------------------
    To fear your enemy is wise.. to know your enemy is wiser still.....

LoL.

Seriously tho, this is a mistake, you guys do realise that dont you?

FC boards is the one place where it all semi-comes together, i really dont care what is planed, but crunching everything into a couple of forums wont ease the "pain" of moderating.

Hey heres a thought, select a few players to help out, similar to the professional program, but serving a different purpose. I am sure there are some people that would like to help out, i being one of them.

Just dont think its worth it to basically close the boards.

Account Created

Account Status:
    Open

MMORPG stands for massive multiplayer online role playing game.

What is AO? ... an MMORPG

So why would FC take away a role playing forum, that see's alot of traffic EACH day? ... Is their game not a roleplaying game?

I'm sorry but I don't see the point. AO has the best role playing community than any other game out there, and to remove a forum that so many role players use is a huge insult and a slap in the face. Is role playing not supported by FC?... Seriously, what's the point of a role playing game if we can't even have our forums?..

FC .. you've lost your damn minds.
    Tristalyn, Kaidence, Daquri, Sexykitten, Brittain
    GridStream
    Ich gebe Decavolt meine Seele und Körper
    Voted by the community - Funniest Female - Most Eligable Bachelorette and Best Doctor! Thanks! <3
    Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! HUGS!
    .·´¯`·..·» You've just been RAINBOW hugged!! «·..·´¯`·.

I just dont get why they dont ask for volenteers or something. Give them limited board powers and have them help CZ out. I mean getting rid of the forums isnt really a solution IMO. Getting help with the current ones now, is.

I can understand getting rid of some of the ones that are not used, and things like combining the test ones. but still... i dont think this will work... sounds like the beginning of the end to me....

Account Created

Account Status:
    Open

Hell ill volenteer
    i juststarted to use these forums and have found them emensely valuable you've all helped me soo much
    so i'll give back
    why dont we startv a petition to keep it open?

Yeah, have forum moderators.. That's acctually a really good idea.

I think it beats the alternative and you get to relieve stress from your job and have ppl do it for free.. maybe some of the ARK's or something? ....it's at least worth discussion before you destroy what so many of us depend on.
    Tristalyn, Kaidence, Daquri, Sexykitten, Brittain
    GridStream
    Ich gebe Decavolt meine Seele und Körper
    Voted by the community - Funniest Female - Most Eligable Bachelorette and Best Doctor! Thanks! <3
    Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! HUGS!
    .·´¯`·..·» You've just been RAINBOW hugged!! «·..·´¯`·.

And, also, what's with the sudden notice? It's like one day we're all happy and fine and then the next we're shut out from what I find one of the most appealing aspects of AO? Taking away the forums is taking away part of the game. Think of it as another PvP-like thing - not everyone likes it, but many people do.

The Anarchy Online forums have drawn me back to AO not once, but twice. I would have already quit if it wasn't for them. It's what gives us a sense of community and whatnot, and by getting rid of this (No, I'm not going to fragmented fansites.) what do we have left? A generally boring game filled with camping uniques and the occasional tower battle. Fun.

~Chris

Originally posted by Jayde

While most fan-site maintainers (AO Stratics, AO Basher, Anarchy Mainframe, Anarchy Arcanum, etc.) obviously do what they do because they like doing it. This is not the issue. The issue is that they should not have the burden of solely supporting *essential* services to the player-base of Anarchy Online that Funcom should maintain themselves. A community forum is an ESSENTIAL service that is part of EVERY MMORPG. But, hey...why pay someone on your end to do it when you can coax everyone else to do it for you?

-Jayde
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ultimately there is nothing more central to the success of any MMORPG than its ability to foster a sense of community. When the developers are willing to entrust something as important as that to 3rd parties I fear the writing is on the wall.

This is a case of shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast