Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet addiction - bad?

Internet addiction - bad?

Poll: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=90656

Just curious how people think of this issue after someone gave me an online (smirk) poll if your addicted or not.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

You and I both play too much!

I must play more!!!!!!!!
    Illuminati

220 Arinova - Bureaucrat
    207 Novatek - Soldier
    200 Vitalangel - Doctor
    200 Teknova - Fixer
    200 Je'Tina - Shade

get a life, RL is way better than internet.

EDIT: starting to sober up, so you will never know what I did say here haha (although my original thought still remains)
    Last edited by Thedo; Jan 16th, 2003 at 12:21:28.

Better in your eyes; better in the eyes of society or better in my eyes? That's what I'm struggling with, because I can't give a <cencored> about what society dictates persons whats good and whatnot, and in my eyes.. I'm having fun in my life.

If we both die; do you dare say you had more 'fun' then me? No, I'd be content with what I did.

*gives the mike to the next person*

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

As long as you can say you have enjoyed your life, and you have given harm to no one in the way you live your life, then I say do what you want. However personally I feel certain aspects of RL (alcohol, dancing, friends ) are better than the internet, but I am slightly mad anyway, so who am I to judge anyone anyway

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Sorry if I sounded a bit judging last night hehe. Yea if you have fun and enjoys your life then sure, keep doing that. However you need to try out different aspects of life I think, as you never know how it`s like before you`ve tryed it

I suppose it's to each his own.

In my case it's pretty simple. I'm in a relationship with a girl I love. If I were to spend too much time online, I'd most likely loose this relationship since she does not share that interest in my life. I choose to keep my relationship.

I need money to be able to pay for internet connection and the monthly AO fee. To get money I need a job. If I spend too much time on AO I might not do what's required of me at work, hence I might lose my job and income. Not able to pay house, food, connection or AO fees, I will have through internet use caused myself to get in trouble. This I would classify as a problem.

The biggest problem with living online, as I see it, is that the world is not really substantial. It does not exist when the connection is turned off. People in the virtual existence often turn out to be someone they don't appear to be. This is of course true in real life as well, but it's so much easier to lie, and pretend online.

What I fell is a very bad thing though is to be judgmental about all this. I choose to live my life as I see best for me. As do you. I have no business judging your lifestyle, wether I agree with it or not. The saddest part in my opinion, is the people shouting at other people to get a life. Everyone has a life, everyone decides themselves what to do with it. And I have no right to tell anyone they have a problem. I can however be there to help if they themselves decides something in their life is causing grief and needs to be changed.
    Garret "Necc" Scheer press officer of Desert Winds (MSAS)

Karma, the world's true equalizer.

Free Rubi-Ka!

some of us actually use the internet to escape the daily battles, and AO is a perfect place to forget all things real. there is nothing better for my soul then to take a few hours departure from real life and enter the world of AO.
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

Originally posted by Lumin
    some of us actually use the internet to escape the daily battles, and AO is a perfect place to forget all things real. there is nothing better for my soul then to take a few hours departure from real life and enter the world of AO.
    Yup - me to. But just like some more illegal escapes, you can have too much of a good thing. I'd glad I've got a job that prevents me from playing (though not posting!!) because it means I can't overdose like this time last year (12 hour days in AO - for 4 months..).

Not that I spend most of my day wanting to play AO rather than work mind..
    Please allow me to introduce you to the voices:

The voices, the voices! Stop the voices!

The voices are played by, in order of appearance:

Gragoneye - loveable, hugable, with a fondness for violence!
    Servivious - bitter, twisted and a little unhinged..
    Blindhealer - just a little bit out of her depth!

Proud to be First Order!!

My sentiments exactly. The hours I spend online are directly related to the hours of stress I've dealt with for any given week.
    Its my break from reality.

The Internet is not harmful to you, so being addicted to it isn't a bad thing. I've never ever heard of someone being isolated for being addicted to reading! So whats the difference if you read in a book or read on a computer.

I'm addicted! I'm addicted to living my life to the fullest. Today, that includes Video Games & the Internet. Tomorrow, it may be something else.

-Tifanyx

The Internet is not harmful to you, so being addicted to it isn't a bad thing. I've never ever heard of someone being isolated for being addicted to reading! So whats the difference if you read in a book or read on a computer.
    the book ends, while the knowledge on the net continues.. its called information overflow and it has different effects on the persons in question.
    Its all about self controll, so I can say that I agree and disagree with you.

I dont think its harmfull in the way of isolating you or spending more time infront of the screen than with humans. humans has always been social and even with other entertaining gadgets we still will feel the need for real interaction.

However in my case its about information overflow, I like to learn new things, and the internet gives me an unmetered source of information, both harmfull and creative.
    the problem starts when you loose controll and you skip normal human cycles like sleep and eating to gain information. 4 days with no sleep and little to no food will start making gaps in your memory of what you have done the last days and perhaps weeks.
    even worse is it if you got work to do aswell,
    work requiers additional energy as you in most cases do not have the "dream" job. or if you got a job you like, you sometimes get assignments that are less fun than others.
    People around you wont notice any changes as you go on with the normal things you do, you go to work, you meet your friends, then you go home and spend all night reading or experimenting on subjects just to repeat the cycle again next morning.

it works for a long time, its scary how long you can go with little food and litterally no sleep and constant information going in to your brain. the difference about this and just gaming yourself to death as some induviduals has done in the recent years is that you actually move around in the 3d world we like to call vicinity of our life and interact and do other things then just point and click. and that is perhaps whats keeps you going.

after some time with this cycle your world starts to crumble.
    mostly because your body and mind cant take it anymore. you got a certain amount of spare energy and when its used up your going down fast.

the fun thing is when you have slept all weekend and wake up just to realize that you have just abused your body beyond what you think you will be able to repair. after that things just gets empty and your just there nothing more nothing less.. evrything is moving in slow motion and each days is already lived and utterly spent. I guess people would call it depression, but I for once do seldomly gets depressed, I find happiness in many a small thing each day

however for me there is light in the tunnel, things are getting back to normal now since eating more regulary and getting enough sleep is once back in my life. each day again feels like a new day and not one that I have lived before. still I love the information I can get and I often spend probably too much searching for new and bizzare things. but atleast I know when i have reached my limit and its time to go.
    doing that is in my opinion the most important discovery you can do, you will be much more able to make time for evryone who demands it off you, and at the same time have time for what you like to do. atleast for now

edit: sorry for the lenghty post.
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

You speak of too much information being the cause of the addiction; but I'm more or less "addicted" because I see it as a great escape of life, which I rather dislike. I do not roam the internet seeking new lifeforms and new civilazations, to boldly browse where no-1 has gone before; no, I play a game with lots of persons in it, I'm intrigued by the differnt cultures, languages and personalities and love to interact with them. They do not see me, making it a perfect world where people judge on character rather then on solid stuff.

I don't sleep a lot, I drink a lot coffee to counteract that need, do it for the last 2 years. I don't know; I may "burn-up" sooner but I also did spend more time too, so it averages out I'd like to think. Alternatives would be to sleep more and have a nice work-sleep-work-sleep-weekend treadmill. Somthing that not only disgusts me but something I also cannot do; I need an escape! And an online game is perfect for that. Take away my computer and I'll grab a book, or Ill go watch TV, the hours I'd make awake would be the same.

Yet I'm internet addicted! It's quiet funny the test said so. I do "internet" a lot, it does influence my life and I do think about internet when Im not behind the pc (those were one of the questions that were asked). But replace "pc" and "internet" with a book and you'll see I would answer yes to those 3 questions too. (In the past I would read so much that I had like 3 hours sleep). Internet addicted? Reading addicted? Seems I'm addicted to everything I'm addicted to free time.

Maybe this all will change when I got work I like, instead of this job I have now due to the economy here being very bad (no work to be find in my expertise). The only way I manage is to spend as much free time as I can.

Addictions can be truely weird.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

the book ends, while the knowledge on the net continues.. its called information overflow and it has different effects on the persons in question.
    Its all about self controll, so I can say that I agree and disagree with you.

I dont think its harmfull in the way of isolating you or spending more time infront of the screen than with humans. humans has always been social and even with other entertaining gadgets we still will feel the need for real interaction.

However in my case its about information overflow, I like to learn new things, and the internet gives me an unmetered source of information, both harmfull and creative.
    the problem starts when you loose controll and you skip normal human cycles like sleep and eating to gain information. 4 days with no sleep and little to no food will start making gaps in your memory of what you have done the last days and perhaps weeks.
    even worse is it if you got work to do aswell,
    work requiers additional energy as you in most cases do not have the "dream" job. or if you got a job you like, you sometimes get assignments that are less fun than others.
    People around you wont notice any changes as you go on with the normal things you do, you go to work, you meet your friends, then you go home and spend all night reading or experimenting on subjects just to repeat the cycle again next morning.

it works for a long time, its scary how long you can go with little food and litterally no sleep and constant information going in to your brain. the difference about this and just gaming yourself to death as some induviduals has done in the recent years is that you actually move around in the 3d world we like to call vicinity of our life and interact and do other things then just point and click. and that is perhaps whats keeps you going.

after some time with this cycle your world starts to crumble.
    mostly because your body and mind cant take it anymore. you got a certain amount of spare energy and when its used up your going down fast.

the fun thing is when you have slept all weekend and wake up just to realize that you have just abused your body beyond what you think you will be able to repair. after that things just gets empty and your just there nothing more nothing less.. evrything is moving in slow motion and each days is already lived and utterly spent. I guess people would call it depression, but I for once do seldomly gets depressed, I find happiness in many a small thing each day

however for me there is light in the tunnel, things are getting back to normal now since eating more regulary and getting enough sleep is once back in my life. each day again feels like a new day and not one that I have lived before. still I love the information I can get and I often spend probably too much searching for new and bizzare things. but atleast I know when i have reached my limit and its time to go.
    doing that is in my opinion the most important discovery you can do, you will be much more able to make time for evryone who demands it off you, and at the same time have time for what you like to do. atleast for now

edit: sorry for the lenghty post.
    Gah , theres alwayz 1 who writes there life story

I think it depends heavily on the individual. Some can live, drink, and breathe the net...and be very stable. I've known some.

Others just seem to go to pieces at work, in their love lives, and at home. I've known some of those too.

The internet is more of a tool than anything in the equation. I will admit that it might be a more dangerous one than it seems.

I guess the following Eddie Izzard quote might be of significance:

The National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, uh, people do." But I think, I think the gun helps. You know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that.

All joking aside, I really don't think being addicted to the internet is a bad thing. It's just when a person can't differentiate right from wrong (much less do the right thing when they need to)...that it is a bad thing.

I'll also add this: This so-called Real Life? It can be great, but don't let anyone fool you into saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. RL is badly bugged, and so are many of the people who exist in it. Same rules, different setting.
    Capacitor, the device - a device which collects and stores electricity.
    Capacitor, the Fixer - a Opifex who collects and stores visits to Reclaim.

-||-

I'll also add this: This so-called Real Life? It can be great, but don't let anyone fool you into saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. RL is badly bugged, and so are many of the people who exist in it. Same rules, different setting.
    When your realize that your body and mind has a limit in the physical world you realy like to explore those where you have no boundaries, its an escape that becomes life preserving
    Originally posted by Cz
    Sing a song for FunCom

Gah , theres alwayz 1 who writes there life story
    Close but not entirley correct, my addiction to information has only been around 2 years, I have been an frequent user of the net 5 years before that aswell, playing games against people from different parts of the world has always been an large hobby for me

but there are always times in your life when things change, oh dont we love that
    Originally posted by Cz
    Sing a song for FunCom

Y'know what? Real life isn't that great.. Yes, I've said what others were skirting, here's my reason:

From my experience, this world is on the verge of a complete meltdown. Y'know what I saw in the paper a few weeks back? Raelians, fanatics, human cloning, Iraqi nuclear weapons... Ugh, that's not fun at all. I think that it's safer to stay away from that rubbish, it doesn't sound like a barrel of monkeys to say the least.

Now RL isn't all bad. There are great people that you can meet, become friends with, love... Lots of opportunity out there. My influenced conscience has always argued for the sake of RL, but during my long hour and-a-half commute home every day, I sometimes think to myself: "Is this what life's all about?"

Overall, life is mostly composed of boring, pointless, and uninspiring moments. If not these three, at least monotonous. (From my opinion and experience, I'm not talking for anyone else here) The very rare and infrequent parts are the events that make it all worth it.

My problem is that I'm a bit too different to see the life scale as a balanced one. I'm too cynical, technical, critical, and thoughtful to just blindly walk through all of the boring stuff to get to the good parts. Overall, I'm sadly starting to find this entire bundle to be pretty overhyped.

I'm not quite sure what makes AO so refreshingly0 different from RL. Possibly because you can turn it off and simply relax and think without being pressured from anyone. Possibly the fact that you can be outrageous and totally unlike your true self without any reprecussions.

I'm not totally sure.. But right now, RL is at 70% importance, and AO is at 30%. 1/3 is quite a bit for a game, but is AO really a game? I don't think so anymore.

To answer the original question- is it ok to be addicted? Well, I only take my habits so far.. I never play for days on end without sleep, I'm too fond of sleep. My boundary and definition of addiction- (Which I occasionally have from time to time) -Is to play for about 4-8 hours a day for a time of around a month. I don't find it harmful, but I also find it refreshing to take a break.

The one thing to ask yourself is this- Do people have the right to decide what I want to do? Do they have the right to decide that I've had enough? Is addiction truly a horrible thing? It's a horrible thing from another's perspective.. but is it horrible from mine? You have to consider that before drawing any other conclusions.
    Ernest "Zane0" Bunke - Equipment - Perks
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Fix 200+ Engineer Slayers

Overall, life is mostly composed of boring, pointless, and uninspiring moments. If not these three, at least monotonous. (From my opinion and experience, I'm not talking for anyone else here) The very rare and infrequent parts are the events that make it all worth it.

My problem is that I'm a bit too different to see the life scale as a balanced one. I'm too cynical, technical, critical, and thoughtful to just blindly walk through all of the boring stuff to get to the good parts. Overall, I'm sadly starting to find this entire bundle to be pretty overhyped.
    The thing that happends when you dont get enough sleep is that you start to forget.. not the moments that you normaly remember, but all the small and normal things at first.. like brushing your teeth, walking to the bathroom and so on.. its quite amusing when you cant remember to have ever visited the bathroom for 2 weeks, you know you have, you just cant remember it. it was not important enough to be recorded. in some ways its kinda gets refreshing, you never have any "down time" anymore, atleast not untill your reserves are used.
    though I do kinda enjoy those moments now, it reminds me that im still alive and human, with all the perks and flaws that comes with it

The one thing to ask yourself is this- Do people have the right to decide what I want to do? Do they have the right to decide that I've had enough? Is addiction truly a horrible thing? It's a horrible thing from another's perspective.. but is it horrible from mine? You have to consider that before drawing any other conclusions.
    The sad thing is that they simply classify it as "internet addiction" even if you have so many different factors at play.
    They rather put you on drugs then have someone talk to you why you spend so much time, or rather why you do as you do.

there are no doubt about that some people DO get problems by using the internet too much, but I guess the major part is rather in a gray zone where alot of other factors are at play. still they get to know they got a "net problem" and get the "easy fix" rather then realising what went wrong and learn to live with it and make a fix themself or in cooperation with someone else. there are usualy not a problem you cant fix without resulting to quick fixes.
    usualy things takes time, and spending your time on the net might be the path that leads you to the point where you can move on.

you probably said what I just said in alot fewer lines
    Originally posted by Cz
    Sing a song for FunCom

"From my experience, this world is on the verge of a complete meltdown. Y'know what I saw in the paper a few weeks back? Raelians, fanatics, human cloning, Iraqi nuclear weapons... Ugh, that's not fun at all. I think that it's safer to stay away from that rubbish, it doesn't sound like a barrel of monkeys to say the least."

You know what you forgot? USA with George Bush in the front marshing (spelling?) to attack all and everyone. You know who mainly is responsible for the insecure situation in the world today? USA and Bush`s barbaric response to the attack on the twin towers. If they`d acted a bit more civil th world would have been a much safer place today. A bit off topic, yea I know..

That darn bush will doom us all!
    Ernest "Zane0" Bunke - Equipment - Perks
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Fix 200+ Engineer Slayers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast