Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about offensive name

Question about offensive name

Greetings all!

I have started a Doctor and my god how much fun that is :=)

I wanted to make a humours name and called her "Tigbits". Lots of people have confronted me and said "Man, what a funny/cool name - you made my day" etc etc. I've gotten lots of positive comments about it, not ONE single negative comment.

As far as I know, Tigbits = Biscuits brand in England(?). And yes, if you switch place of the letter T and B you will get BigTits.

Now, some twit had to report me to the almighty fellowship of ARKs. What the person is gaining from it I do not know. I would think nothing, but a growth of the person's pen*s. Yes, I am annoyed as the person could have confronted me with it and I would have dealt with it by getting it changed. I would like the person who reported me in give me a /tell online (like that would bloody happen).

I'm now running around with the name "Default36" as the coordinator had to disturb me and my friend's in a team mission without my blessing. Just popped in, stopped all of us. I asked if he could add me to friendslist so that I could message him after mission, but noooo, it had to be done right away. Or else? Well, the mobs could ofcourse be offended by it and report me in.

I was told to /petition for a name change (and the coordinator was so nice and told me he will put in a note allowing me to change my name. I mean, that is PRETTY obvious right?) and i am NOT interessted in waiting hours for help. I sent in a petition, was #27 in line, then #23, then #25 and I gave up when I was #27 again.

Yes, i know this might not be the correct place, but I felt I had to write some words.

So, Tigbit offensive?
    So, Default36 offensive?

Last edited by Tharney; Jan 13th, 2003 at 11:05:09.

Anyone tried to /petition "Anun Tearer" for being offensive?

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Tigbits

I'm English and I've never heard of Tigbits as brand of biscuits.

It seems rather petty on FC's part to get it changed though. Although I have to say I quite like Default36 as a name
    "You know how these so-called 'Environmentalists' are all vegetarian? Well, there would be a lot more of the Environment if they stopped eating all the plants..."

Harry Hill

Originally posted by Gene13
    Anyone tried to /petition "Anun Tearer" for being offensive?

/G13
    lol i thought it was anus tearer the first time i had the pleasure of one chasing me around mort in reet form, not even parrot :P iwas lvl 50 in reet form

It does seem a bit hypocritical, when you consider that FC themselves have seen fit to include items with names like Sticky Love Rain.

Is Tigbits offensive? Frankly, if you have to think about it that hard to spot the innuendo, it's your problem. If I'd passed you in the street, I probably would never have noticed. Maybe I'm just bad at anagrams or something...

Cheers,

~R~

P.S. Never heard of a brand by that name, not that it has any real bearing.

ok thats it..

If this is true then FC have gone too far. It simply means that ure name doesnt matter at all, offensive or not. As long as someone want it nerfed it will get nerfed.

How can u look at a name like Tigbits and get offended? How can u think that other would get offended by names like that? Its silly.

If it said Bigtits I still doubt that anyone would get offended.

Tigbits..
    The only reason I can think of is that FC might not want 5 year olds with humor like.. well 5 year olds to go around saying Tigbits in RL without even knowing what it means. How many 5 year olds play AO? How many under the age of 18 play AO without their parrents "blessing"? The answer we have to addapt to is 0 but FC seems to do things like this anyway.

I have petitioned with many of my characters that have offensive names. I even talked to a GM once with my engie "Screwyou" for quite some time and he never said anything about my name. Why didnt he say anything? Simply because noone had petitioned about it yet.

FC need to draw a line somewhere tho. They need to deside where a name turns bad and where its good enough to stay as it is. Just remeber, FC, that for every name u nerf that line becomes more and more invisible.

"Tigbits" = bad

A leet telling me to Shut the **** up mother ****er = ok?

Just let this Tigbits-person come up with a new name that she likes and from now on try and find rules to go by so it doesnt come to this random drive-by-nerfing.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

This sounds like the Superslag name-change event all over again.

0.001% of the playerbase finds 'slag' to be an offensive word. To placate that 0.001% of the population (and annoy a far greater amount of players), FunCom does, in these cases, value the voice of the very very few over the voice of the majority.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

exactly

And I wish someone from FC could come here and tell us why that is.

They say that people under 18 need approvement from their parrents to play this game but still treats us all like minors.

If FC dont tell us why then we'll just have to think that even they dont know..

Might be a bit overreacting here but FC need to set their foot down somewhere and so do WE.

Lets say that we players are on the right side of the court while FC is on the left. In the middle is the EULA, rules for AO. Now if we players do something wrong then we are moving the ball towards ourselves. If we players can do whatever we want to then the ball is all the way to the right. If FC do whatever they want then the ball is all the way to the left. We all want the ball to be in the midde, right? We want FC and ourselves to do what we are supposed to do. Right now it seems like FC think everything is ok as long as the ball stays on their side..

Not being allowed to use the word "tit" in AO is like taking an adult movie off the cinema because the 5 year olds where offended.

And she didnt even call her character something with "tit".. it was "bit"..

Shall I take it a step further and assume that u like this 5 year-olds cash so much that u nerf someones name to keep both him and the name-nerfed person online instead of leaving the name be and maby the 5 year old leaves?

"Tigbit" is simply to far away from something that might sound offensive if u squint a bit..
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Thumbs down Thanks

Thank you for the replies so far. To be honest I want my nick back and/or I want a FAIRLY good explanation WHY i cant use it. I can name quite some names that players are using that might be considered as a offensive nick to me, but here's what I feel about it: I DONT CARE what name you chose to carry as long as it pleases you and isnt used to harrass someone. Ofcourse, there should be a limit, but Tigbits??? COME ON. Its a different story if someone runs around with the name ****Twit(using this as example), but I still wonder who is so low to report a name as Tigbits(and Superslag) imho.

I would like an explanation from the fellowship of the ARKs and I want it quick.

-Tigbits/ilythia (im starting to wonder if ilythia might offend someone too.. Maybe I should stop using my names in my signature?)

Re: exactly

Originally posted by Wrangeline
    Not being allowed to use the word "tit" in AO because the 5 year olds where offended.
    i never met a 5 yr old that was offended by "tit" ... more like "yes thank you, may i have another?"

and OMG .. Tigbits offensive? what a joke!

Some of these ARKs are just a bit ... off ... uh oh i said 'bit' ... is that offensive? /censor gomer

hehe you should change your name to SlagBits LOL

I'm as foul minded as they come and I didn't even notice the reference so if someone, adult or minor, takes offense then it's their problem not yours...

eek, they are cracking down on anagrams?

Better look out Wrangeline:

ANEL WINGER
    LAG WINER NE (someone in NE broken shores complaining of their ping)

Genethirteen: TEETERING HEN

me: RETARD SCOT
    SCORED TART
    ACE DR TROTS (my fav)

Kzak: hmm, I think your safe.

what about the name: Phuk? If Funcom said NO to that ... wouldn't they offend all of southeast asia? and therefore have to put it back in?

after all .. it's a name ...

While we are on anagrams:

Notum Wars: MA NU WORST

(nu=new)

Well it isn't quiet true, but it doesn't sound good for the future of MA's :P

Don't be so sure, Destractor - someone out there will undoubtedly invent 'kzak' as a swearword.

"What the kzak is this, anyhow?"

See? Easy.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

Well, if Tigbits isn't allowed, then noone is safe anymore.

I want dibs on Default1313!

The fun part is when you see people with other first languages than English take advantage of the situation. I've seen some real good ones from Scandinavia, and I bet the Asians are just having the time of their lives, and not with just words like Phuk either.

You should have told the ARK you're Welsh, and argued that Tigbits means 'Healer Blessed By The Gods of Earth And Sun'.

By the way, anyone know how you petition the ARK's, if they should do something as hair-raising as this?
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

If your name is offensive...

There's load of em in this game...

Can't let ppl hazzle you for your name, tell them to get a life and move on

I've seen ppl here with real suggestive names, and even if your name as BigTits i would not find that offensive, and i'm femal in RL...

Some ppl just got way to much time *sigh*
    Best regards Juliet Poetica Capulet (female solitus trader lvl195 - poet by heart, Oh Romeo, - who need Romeo?) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
    "Not all who wander are lost." (John Ronald Reuel Tolkien)
    "To Dare is to risk losing your foothold for a moment, Not to Dare is to risk losing yourself." (Søren Kierkegaard)

Anaïs Manifestos Nin (female solitus mp lvl 171) Member of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Angel Heroess Heart (female solitus fixer lvl 102) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Luna YangYing Lee (female solitus MA lvl 75) Unit Commander of Legionaries
    Meow Wyxxen Meow (female solitus doc lvl 74) Applicant of Legionaries
    Destiny ZorZereZ Decay (female nanomage nt lvl 57) Applicant of Legionaries
    Kittie DarkGodess Catt (female solitus soldier lvl 39) Applicant of Legionaries
    Modesty PlayGirl Blaise (female solitus engie lvl 19) Member of Legionaries

If I mention that an anagram for Anarchy Online is "nice horny @nal", will all the immature kids be scared and run off to their mommies, so we can enjoy the game with the names of our choice again?
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

You should contact Funcom Customer Service via e-mail explaining your situation and contesting the name change.

I doubt it will do anything to help you, and be careful of pressuring them too hard (customer service seems to have a habit of digging up dirt on people who complain and looking for excuses to censor, suspend or ban them), but if the customer service section has to field many complaints about name changes it may, in the long run, cause them to reconsider the naming policies and the procedures for being renamed.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

heh, funcom's run by either a bunch of prudes, or a bunch of people who'd rather piss off one person by changing their names cause of a whiny complainer, then actually think it through and consider if the names is actually offensive to more then 1 person.
    Sredniaka Sherrmanaka Posthasteaka Thanatopsysaka Vashtareliusaka Nnerroaka Alexxander

"Quidquid latine dictum, sit altum viditur"

Sredni Vashtar went forth,
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
    His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
    Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
    by HH Munro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast