Thread: Better notification of Tower attacks

Better notification of Tower attacks

What I would like to see is some new code to allow all players to be notified if a tower owned by their side is attacked. Currently, you only recieve a message if one of your orgs towers are attacked. I keep hearing about the fun people are having at raids, but unless you are in a populated area when someone is spamming for help in defending their towers, you left in the dark.

Now, I know, that there is currently a bot running on the omni side where attack planning and defense messages are running. But most people can not even join the damn thing. After sending numerous /tells to the person running the bot, without a single reply, I have pretty much given up.

If you want us to fully enjoy this part of NW, you have to give us something that allows us to know when there is something better than running god damn missions going on.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

I suggested during the Beta of NW that they added an Tower icon down with our Ping meter that would show us the status of our towers currently.
    green for ok and red for under attack.. perhaps yellow to warn about that your open to attacks.
    when clicked you will get a msg. dialog like the rest with the name of the tower location under attack.

next thing to do is grid so you can get CC'ed away
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

Leader's "All Towers" chat is just that... all clan (and omni) towers. If anyone is attacking anything, it shows up there "The (side) organization (Org1) has declared war on the (side) organization (Org2)! " - so if your leader is on all the time he/she should be able to distribute info. Would like this feature to be made avail for ALL people though. Had my towers destroyed once simply because none of my Org was online and no one knew about it.

just my 2cr
    ~Ralakan
    w0t0 Guild leader (No longer Retired )
    Chief Engineer, RK2

I cant agree with this enough. Its ludicrous to be totally unaware of attacks if your leader is not online. Granted, you want a leader that is active, but come on, to rely on the leader 100% of the time is just foolish. There has to be some better way of informing people that they, or their friends, or even their enemies, are under attack.

I guess this shows the disinterest in anything PvP and in NW in general. Three replies. If this is not a problem for most of you, how is it that you are getting notified?

I'm getting notified because I sit next to the leader in RL, so I can see the pink writing on his screen - and it's nice! "Oh, 13 omni guilds attacking a Storm tower - sounds like fun! "

I just don't know why everybody doesn't get this opportunity - there is a lot more info there than just the bare war-facts. You can detect alliances and keep an eye on your allies towers. My guild managed to rally a defence together one day when our allies were attacked and their leader was not on.

This should be an option for everybody. Couldn't it just be an other "channel" that you could turn on and off? At the same time they could skip all those trade-channels - everybody uses shopping 1-50 anyway
    "is there anyone on this ship who remotely looks like Satan?"

Pluspol - NT
    Ozon - crat

2nd rankings get it as well, not just leaders. not sure if 3rd in line get it as well (i dont have anyone at that level).

dunno if everyone needs to see the all towers notice.. i'd really rather see something to let guilds with alliances see each others tower notices tho.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Originally posted by Jellobiafra
    I guess this shows the disinterest in anything PvP and in NW in general. Three replies. If this is not a problem for most of you, how is it that you are getting notified?
    A lot of times the best ideas get 0 replies. It's because so many agree that no one posts. It's a big "Duh, of course it should be that way and if Funcom doesn't know this by now they are really out of touch..."

I totally agree that "all towers" should at the very least hit the top 3 or 4 ranks of any org, if not all players that have it open.

This really is a "duh", I figured it was just broken or something and they are working on it, if that's not the case then I hope they decide to change this to make more players aware of attacks.

well, first off note im at work and my inet at home is down, i was outputting the data on what towers were being attacked and by who over the last 48hrs and it was updated as soon as the battle broke out. But i moved and have yet to get my internet connection back up, but im not sure if i will continue to output the data as no one seems to be using it or even really want it.

Edit:
    Iv'e been thinking of Allowing people to join the bot reguardless of side to listen to the "All Towers" spam that leaders hear in a smaller format. Though since my bot is what handles the outputting of the XML data people might want to just screw with it and try and bring it down from time to time.
    Last edited by Xyberviri; Jan 14th, 2003 at 09:03:09.
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

Dear Funcom,

Please pretty please, can you make it so ALL guild members get the warnings of your own bases being attacked, no matter which guild member the tower belongs to? It's a bit silly to require all tower owners and org leaders to be on 24/7 in order to recieve warnings.

BTW, Someone should move this into the 'Suggestions' forum.
    Last edited by Bothead; Jan 14th, 2003 at 11:36:33.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

Originally posted by ShadowGod
    2nd rankings get it as well, not just leaders. not sure if 3rd in line get it as well (i dont have anyone at that level).
    Some clarification please. This 2nd rankings getting a warning to. Is that from the all towers when your own towers are being attacked or is that from the Org. towers when your own towers are being attacked?

Personally the Org. towers have been silent all the time for me. Even when our own base was destroyed.

For most part of december I gave leadership to one of my advisors. Which made me advisor. It was during that time our base was attacked and destroyed. Being advisor I didnt get any intel on this. Nor did any of my other advisors. Only our current leader got the intel
    General Thoram of the Twin Sun Syndicate

Unhappy

I would just like to be notified when my guild's towers get attacked. Once a guildmate used the tower to get to a playfield for a mission and saw that half the towers were down. We were never notified.

Fortunatly it was a small group of attackers that were easily repelled.
    -Omnitek is your fiend
    Claybats the Sane
    Idahoe | Kalderon | Claybats | Meyna

when my towers were being attacked, i, along with the others in my guild did get a notice via Org Towers about the attack. i did not get it via All Towers tho. but everyone else on All Towers did.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

I am very sure that my 2nds or 3rds in command do not get any notice about other guilds comming under attack, or attacking.

I can see reasons why all players in an org should not get this info, which may or may not spam their chat, but AT LEAST my seconds in command should be privy to this kind of information, since I am not online 24/7, but someone with authority almost allways is.

I think most guilds have alliances or players just wanting to have a bit of fun helping out. as Ozon stated, A lot more information, can be had than just who is attacking who: a score of attack messages may imply a major offensive beeing started in which some may be diversions. Enemy alliances can be decoded and so on, and so on.

Add to this the whole athmosphere and backdrop that this information gives. I am sure that a lot more players would get involved in NW if this information was more readily given

I need to have some common ground with my officers to be able to acces the situation and reduce the workload of repeating simple but crucial messages to my officers, especially when you want to help defend a base and the clock is ticking. Any org should be able to function at near 100% effeciency even when the leader is afk

someone mentioned that his seconds had this info...Am I missing something here??. Our Government form is Corporation.

Another thing is that we at times have gotten no messages when our own base came under attack, which is TOTALLY unaceptable. Only the leader was given the information
    Last edited by Warcriminal; Jan 16th, 2003 at 08:59:33.
    "We are jolly green giants...walking the planet...with guns"

Stormhat"Warcriminal" Lotto

General of Ragnarok

Master of 80 sec survival

"Valhalla or Reclaim!!"

Hmm...

Or perhaps you should do as we have done (dont know how its done but many others have also):

We get every tower attack message displayed on our guild channel so everyone knows what battles are going on.

I dont know where that information is pulled but it dont require our leader to be online... maybe its some lvl 1 toon in his own guild acting as bot and listening that leader channel, shrug

Zarch and da chars

ok, Thanks for that info. Ill have a talk with my guildbot admin and see what He can do....

more information is welcome on how to do this, or if it can be done via guildbot

It stil, however,does not justify the way the system works now. A workaround, like this, should not be nessary to gain such importaint information imho.

General of Ragnarok

"Valhalla or Reclaim!!"

Originally posted by Warcriminal

I can see reasons why all players in an org should not get this info
    Could you explain those reasons? Because the way I see it, I payed for NW so that I could be involved in raids and defensive actions on towers. And I read constantly that battles are going on, yet I don't get to participate because I don't hear about them. If you have real reasons why I, with a rank of member within my org, should not be notified of attacks automatically, I would sure love to hear them.

don't missunderstand me. I have nothing against members knowing where assaults are taking place per se, but I do feel that some screening of attacks made by your guild is preferable. Every time you open fire on an enemy tower, all of your guilds towers become open for attacks.

to ensure that you are not in constant danger of becomming attacked, and your bases destroyed. Leaders should deside what targets are primary targets. In a perfect world all members should know not to attack random towers with no chance of success. This might not always be the case, but ofcourse it depends of what level of anarchy you like in your guild. Some guilds like to have a medium of dicipline in its actions.

I for one would like more information given to my comanders about where and when attacks are taking place, but I do not want a free for all. declarations of war are just that. A declaration of War, not nescessarily one that end after that specific attack ends, but might be carried on for weeks. Therefore I want to be able to control the flow of information, in order to ensure succes, of the attacks my guild decides to participate in. I do feel that only Leaders should deside what guilds we attack. That said I ofte inform my guild of posiblities for helping out in defending and helping in attacking without killing towers.

A solution would be for the individual org to costumize who gets told what. that way you could choose a guild with the degree of anarchy you desire

General of Ragnarok

"Valhalla or Reclaim!!"

Bump!
    Illuminati

220 Arinova - Bureaucrat
    207 Novatek - Soldier
    200 Vitalangel - Doctor
    200 Teknova - Fixer
    200 Je'Tina - Shade

Last edited by Warcriminal; Jan 17th, 2003 at 11:41:16.

General of Ragnarok

"Valhalla or Reclaim!!"