Thread: Suggestions for an Improved AO *Please Bumb if you like any of these*

Lightbulb

Ok here are some ideas that after a year and half of playing, IMHO would make AO an even better game.

1) How about a pet store. Some place I can go buy a little leet or wolf or something. I just think it would be great to be able to have a reet or wolf or leet to follow you around. Give them a duration (or until dead), base the pet you can buy of some ability score or skill (adventuring, or another use of psycology).

1B) a Kennel of some kind that you can drop a pet off at while you log. Like apartments but only holds 1 item (ie pet). Maybe have it cost cr to use.

2) Put the formulas for the other armor types into the game. So that we can make heated or chilled plasteel. I can see some types such as Opol armor not being availble but some of the other should be. This way we can make that peice of ql150steel ribbed that is not availible in the shops if we want to.

2B) make the PPPE for armor easier to find or make it availble in shops. I dont mind the parts (such as notum) being hard to find to make certain armor (or like mantis parts). That is how it should be, however the tools should be there to buy. [and yes I have a shape hard armor pppe and still want other people able to have access to them.]

3) How about towers actually mining notum. As it is the towers are good for skill advantages (and this is nice) however, if they are notum mining towers, you would think that a guild would be able to harvest some notum from them. How about have it spawn around the controller on the ground every so often and in the ql range of the tower. Or be able to refine notum chips/frags from carbon rich rock and have those spawn around the controllers. Each tower could only spawn a certain amount at any one time, and would spit out a new peice (if the total around it was not full) every hour or two. This would make towers even more valuable and sought after. Plus giving players access to a usuable resource from the towers.

4) The ability to modify weapons. Be honest, there are only a certain number of weapons that are used. Most just sit there and are never used. Take a look at the DB and the stats on the weapons and revamp some old ones so they are more viable. This doesnt mean make each weapon as good as the ones that are boss loot only and that are intended to be rare. But there are weapons such as , magical staff of the inferno, that are never going to be used for anything but looks. So please update the weapon stats to make more of the viable, I hate the fact that most character all carry the same gun (one of the reasons im a dual pistol soldier STILL).

4B) now that you updated the DB, add in some weapons that can only be made. A couple weapons that we have to find all the parts for to make from scratch would be kewl. Maybe add a quest or two for some even rare weapons. Also add the abil to modify most if not all weapons. Why not be able to change the dmg type of my Pistols from Proj, to fire, etc. OR be able to add burst or full auto to a weapon, maybe in place of fling or aimed shot. I know for one if I could change the aimed shot to fling on the Anti-Cyborg rifle, I would be one happy soldier. Now I know some of this is in the game (chem mauser, boosted hellspinner etc) THe chem mauser is prob the closest to what I would like to see. This is a great process. however please dont follow the same pattern as you did on the hellspinner, (this is a good thing for quests and quest weapons such as the hellspinner) but not for every weapon.

4C) add reverse engineering in. Ie I use a engi tool (dont forget traders in this please, ie dont make it engi only) on a weapon, and BAMB, in my invintory there is a blue print of the steps needed to make the weapon. even if it trashes the weapon in the process, at least I would now be able to reproduce the weapon. Aslo please organize the existing formulas, so that they are just the weapon name, not a book for different ql weapons. The formulas should be the same no matter the ql, the only thing that should change is the ql of the parts or the kit to make the weapon. (if this is the case, then please clean up the forumal machines so that it isnt a head ache to look for the ones that are there)

5) Remeber when putting in class specific items that buff certain skills that sometimes more the one class uses these skills. (ie, salesmans hat that is made from merchants hat. Would be Great if Traders could use this, but it is engi only. Not that engis shouldnt have it, they should, but put it in for traders too. Chemistry skill buff that agents get, but traders or engi (as far as I have seen) do not get. Hell, doc dont even get it, and if anyone should they should. AoE burst bullets for fixers, but soldiers dont get. So please either make these items open to other logical professions or add in equiv items for the other logical professions.

6) Skin some of the coats or add in new one that are open in the front and show the armor beneath. You do this with helms and the face under it, so it should not be hard to add a transparent area to the skin of the coats. (ok I know this one is completly superficial, but at least it would look cool) or better yet, put these skins in for all the existing coats, and maybe if you take it off and use the item, it would switch between the skins. Ie so you could wear the coat open or closed.

7) A bank open to a particular guild. I know this is supposed to be in the works for guild housing, but why not add it in now. Use something similar to /org contract only maybe /org vault and anyone that is member or higher can open it and take out items or put items in. You can set the vault to hold as many items as the existing personal bank.

8) clean up the chat interface. change the shopping channels to just 1. Pretty much only one is used anyway, so why have it cluttering the channel control panel. Just eliminate the others, though they were a good idea, a year and half of the game has shown that only one is really needed.

9) add the elevator that changes between mission floors to the map as an icon, as well as the entrance door. So that when I use my mini map, I can tell where the lift is once I find it. Have it show and dissappear like doors do. this way at least I can see it whenI get within range as I am trying to trace my way back out of a mission.

10) Add labling to packs or even other items. It would be nice to be able to label my backpacks, even if that note is in the item description that I have to shift-right click to see. It would also be nice if armor and weapons that a character makes would be stamped with their names. Ie in the description, it should have a line saying made by : xxxx . that way when a peice of armor gets passed around the comunity the armorsmith's name gets know and can drum up more buisness.

11) Though I know many would say this isnt needed but it is. Not everyone can ebay for credits or have already exploited their way to instant billionnaires. Change some of the prices in the shops and such so that items are a little more affordable. I know that from playing since launch that we thought we would never afford some of the items and then later found that we could with some work, but if you are a brand new char, with no friends and no past characters to rely on, some things are just way out of reach. Though it seems that some of the high priced items were made that way to be credit sinks to clean up those exploited credits that were not "traced down", that avenue does work for that but in turn screws those that have played honestly. If you want to discourage Credit exploiting and ebaying then make items more affordable. Thus placing less value on those cr. It would be nice for a small guild to be able to maintain a decent level base without the need to exploit cr or ebay them to afford towers and the like.

12) Some more random small scale events. These dont have to be story related (though that is sorely needed) but just small things, like a roller rat outbreak in the sewers, with maybe a Roller Rat queen boss that has to be killed for the outbreak to stop. Mutant raids on cities, flood ent or tir with mutants (make them agro) so players have to participate in the quelling, if they think they cant handle the mobs then let them hide by guards. Maybe some mantese uprising. etc. Do these, alot, a few times a week. would add some life to the game. If you start running these more often and all over, maybe a couple at the same time, you would not get the flood of people at each one that causes some of the problems when one actaully happens now.
    *I understand there is an event department of the arks, put them to work* =hell hire me, and ill do it 24/7= (shameless plug)

13) some more vehicles. again a purely superficial addition, but it would be kewl to have a motorcycle or some such.

13B) make some items like the Failed Ring of Flying, repairible, so that everyone can fly, similar to quantum wings for mps. This would be a great quest plot, to get the item needed for the ring to fix it. PLEASE again dont make it a drop from an uber mob. Though I like the idea of mobs that require a team of high levels to take out, one that requires multiple teams is just lame. It is a filler for lack of insight or thought on the dev teams part. (sorry but that is just true) it caters to the large uber guilds and leave the solo player out. Thus again making people play the way you want and not allowing them the abil to play they way they want.

14) guild message of the day. Something I can post as a guild leader and every member of my guild recieves it when they log on. This would be a very very nice addition.

15) A reason for boats (hydro vehicles). change these to make players being able to fight in them (ie ground assualt vehicles) but only in water. Say you have to go swiming before you can use the vehicle, and then add soem aquatic mobs back. Maybe only out in deep water. or in a zone that has only a couple small islands to rest and recharge on. Just that rubi-ka has some nice areas with large ammounts of water. Why not make use of it. Maybe make the boats a lot more affordable then a yalm, so that it would be a transportation alternative that actually makes sence. *since there are a number of players now that don't know you can walk from rome to ent without using a womp gate or grid*

16) I would like to see custom skins in the game, though I understand the problems this causes in this type of game. But it would be nice to beable to wear a guild Coat or some such, even if it was purely social wear. Maybe work it into the game by creating a stamping items that uses this custom skin and applies it to a blank item you have to buy.

Ok well thats it for now, the post is a little long but I hope you find some ideas in there. I may not post often but that is simply because I am of the opinnion that unless its worth saying, dont say it. If you like any of these, please bumb this so that it gets some notice.
    Last edited by Etrigan; Jan 13th, 2003 at 08:26:11.
    ("...Free the might from fleshy mire! Boil the blood in heart of fire! Gone, gone the form of man! Rise the Demon Etrigan!")
    ===================

*Just another God of the Mind*

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%

Lightbulb A couple things I forgot.

A couple ideas I forgot.

1) The ability to make Symbio-grafts. Maybe you have to plug the nano crystal for the nano into a blank graft, this would still keep some nanos rare.

2) The ability to make the blister packs of pills. Similar to the above process maybe or some other forumal.

3) Modular weapons, ie, maybe some weapons, items that can only be used while wearing a Battle suit. or (new item) battle harness.

ok, there are a couple more ...
    ("...Free the might from fleshy mire! Boil the blood in heart of fire! Gone, gone the form of man! Rise the Demon Etrigan!")
    ===================

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%

You sound like someone who used to play UO and saw how a virtual world ought to be modeled.

Here's a bumb for almost all yer ideas.

I agree, lots of great ideas here.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Something else I forgot.

1) Please for the love of anything that you find holy. Fix the self only buffs on weapons. IT is absolutely stupid that I can cast Riot Control on someone else, but can not buff them with the lesser forms of it.

What good was it to give soldier (and other professions) the weapon buffs they wanted so badly, if you dont give them the abil to cast them on others.

You have already put in place OE rules, so this should not be a concern anymore. Please fix this.

2) Also please give soldiers a multi ranged buff and enfs a mutli-mele. Did you forget that there are some of those professions that actually use more then one weapon. I mean you remember that soldier may use pistol with the IMI, (which I use) but I cant even get the Adventure muti-ranged buff, since it is also self only, let alone get one I can cast myself.. Please add these in.
    ===================

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%

Sounds good to me, though I'ma little worried about having pets...

Sounds like a pokemon idea to me... <glares>

And yeah, there's so many weapons but so little to use, especially those bloody hybrids... (though maybe I should actually think about using one... curse my indecision! I should've made an agent!)

Bump for 2 (but not B, sorry), 4, 4B, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 13B, and 14.
    Intenseheat: Omni MA, ph33r teh ub3r l337
    Preeminence: Omni crat - hopelessly gimped - lost 180K IP trying to reset skills - ph33r teh ub3r t33th
    Omniwins: Omni soldier, always winning

I'm just an ass that happens to be smart.

Cool

Self bumbing cause I like the ideas... dont care if its frowned upon. 8P
    ===================

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%

Lot's of good ideas, I agree with most of them.
    Quit whining (.com)(tm).
    ... listening whining since 2001-07-21 11:12:43...

Bump, on the proviso that pets-for-everyone is a SOCIAL pet, not one for actually doing anything.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

Thumbs up

Just Bumping up, like these ideas.... even the ones that we know will never get in 8)

Angry all alone here?

well thanks to those that took the time to view the post on these ideas, and thank you more to those that have bumped the post.

It seems that the only way to get a post viewed by enough people that it may catch the notice of someone at FC is to post something about nerfing this or that or to flame the ***** out of anothers post.

Kinda sad....

Thumbs up

Liked this idea alot as well...so posting a link to it here

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=80863
    ===================

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%

Lightbulb

Another idea,

This goes off of the Notum generation from controllers. Controllers should generate credits for the org.
    ===================

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%

Lightbulb a couple more ideas

1) How about a tram system around particular cities. Basically, a character steps in/on and rides the track around the city, stepping off when he gets to the destination of his/her/its choice.

2) I know we have the womps but the abandoned subway is an interesting start of something. How about one or more static dungeons that conenct areas. IE, I go out into an abandoned mine in Clon**** that also has an opening in 4holes. Some of the statics could simply have multiple openings in the same zone, again site the mines in Clon****. There are a number of buildings and mine entrances that would make logical openings for a large mine complex.

ok, well that was just a couple more for now. Will keep building on this list as long as I can.
    ===================

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%

So many ideas, so little editing space.

Let's get started

1) How about a pet store....
    Hmm... trust me, you don't want pets... besides, this would be hard to balance, and it would be stepping on the toes of the pet classes.

2) Put the formulas for the other armor types into the game. So that we can make heated or chilled plasteel. I can see some types such as Opol armor not being availble but some of the other should be. This way we can make that peice of ql150steel ribbed that is not availible in the shops if we want to.

2B) make the PPPE for armor easier to find or make it availble in shops. I dont mind the parts (such as notum) being hard to find to make certain armor (or like mantis parts). That is how it should be, however the tools should be there to buy. [and yes I have a shape hard armor pppe and still want other people able to have access to them.]
    Two thumbs way way up on this one. More craftable items, incuding armor, NCU and other utilities. Also some lower level craftables that can be made using store bought components only (ie, making metaplast armor WITHOUT NEEDING A PPPE SHAPE HARD... tradeskills are for all characters, not just characters with hundreds of millions of credits to spare and their respective alts...

3) How about towers actually mining notum...
    Yep, nice idea here.

4) The ability to modify weapons. Be honest, there are only a certain number of weapons that are used. Most just sit there and are never used. Take a look at the DB and the stats on the weapons and revamp some old ones so they are more viable. This doesnt mean make each weapon as good as the ones that are boss loot only and that are intended to be rare. But there are weapons such as , magical staff of the inferno, that are never going to be used for anything but looks. So please update the weapon stats to make more of the viable, I hate the fact that most character all carry the same gun (one of the reasons im a dual pistol soldier STILL).

4B) now that you updated the DB, add in some weapons that can only be made. A couple weapons that we have to find all the parts for to make from scratch would be kewl. Maybe add a quest or two for some even rare weapons. Also add the abil to modify most if not all weapons. Why not be able to change the dmg type of my Pistols from Proj, to fire, etc. OR be able to add burst or full auto to a weapon, maybe in place of fling or aimed shot. I know for one if I could change the aimed shot to fling on the Anti-Cyborg rifle, I would be one happy soldier. Now I know some of this is in the game (chem mauser, boosted hellspinner etc) THe chem mauser is prob the closest to what I would like to see. This is a great process. however please dont follow the same pattern as you did on the hellspinner, (this is a good thing for quests and quest weapons such as the hellspinner) but not for every weapon.

4C) add reverse engineering in. Ie I use a engi tool (dont forget traders in this please, ie dont make it engi only) on a weapon, and BAMB, in my invintory there is a blue print of the steps needed to make the weapon. even if it trashes the weapon in the process, at least I would now be able to reproduce the weapon. Aslo please organize the existing formulas, so that they are just the weapon name, not a book for different ql weapons. The formulas should be the same no matter the ql, the only thing that should change is the ql of the parts or the kit to make the weapon. (if this is the case, then please clean up the forumal machines so that it isnt a head ache to look for the ones that are there)
    Sorry, never gonna happen. The database model FC is using is too inflexible. They'd have to create hundreds of new items, one for each "variant" of any given item. In other words, it IS doable, but I doubt FC would invest the manpower into it....

5) Remeber when putting in class specific items that buff certain skills that sometimes more the one class uses these skills. (ie, salesmans hat that is made from merchants hat. Would be Great if Traders could use this, but it is engi only. Not that engis shouldnt have it, they should, but put it in for traders too. Chemistry skill buff that agents get, but traders or engi (as far as I have seen) do not get. Hell, doc dont even get it, and if anyone should they should. AoE burst bullets for fixers, but soldiers dont get. So please either make these items open to other logical professions or add in equiv items for the other logical professions.
    Yes and no... Some of these items exist for specific reasons, like the fixer cluster bullets, and they should remain unique to that class.. however, I see no wrong in making a fullauto "cluster bullet" for soldiers, and that's actually a nice idea.

6) Skin some of the coats or add in new one that are open in the front and show the armor beneath....
    Thumbs up, 'nuff said

7) A bank open to a particular guild...
    Thumbs up, way way WAY up

8) clean up the chat interface. change the shopping channels to just 1. Pretty much only one is used anyway, so why have it cluttering the channel control panel. Just eliminate the others, though they were a good idea, a year and half of the game has shown that only one is really needed.
    Actually, I have to say the players are at fault here. We DO need all 3 chat channels, have you ever tried to read shopping 1-50 during peak hours? It's insane. But it's our fault, we should be posting the items in their proper locations

9) add the elevator that changes between mission floors to the map as an icon, as well as the entrance door. So that when I use my mini map, I can tell where the lift is once I find it. Have it show and dissappear like doors do. this way at least I can see it whenI get within range as I am trying to trace my way back out of a mission.
    This one deserves a cookie *passes the cookie jar*

10) Add labling to packs or even other items. It would be nice to be able to label my backpacks, even if that note is in the item description that I have to shift-right click to see. It would also be nice if armor and weapons that a character makes would be stamped with their names. Ie in the description, it should have a line saying made by : xxxx . that way when a peice of armor gets passed around the comunity the armorsmith's name gets know and can drum up more buisness.
    I'd love this, but it's never gonna happen. It'd take a complete databaser revamp. They'd have to rework all the code. That's several months of work in the very least. They'd never do that on a postlive game.

11) Though I know many would say this isnt needed but it is. Not everyone can ebay for credits or have already exploited their way to instant billionnaires. Change some of the prices in the shops and such so that items are a little more affordable. I know that from playing since launch that we thought we would never afford some of the items and then later found that we could with some work, but if you are a brand new char, with no friends and no past characters to rely on, some things are just way out of reach. Though it seems that some of the high priced items were made that way to be credit sinks to clean up those exploited credits that were not "traced down", that avenue does work for that but in turn screws those that have played honestly. If you want to discourage Credit exploiting and ebaying then make items more affordable. Thus placing less value on those cr. It would be nice for a small guild to be able to maintain a decent level base without the need to exploit cr or ebay them to afford towers and the like.
    Hmm, don't know what to say here... reducing shop prices would be a boon, but then again, when did you last buy anything from a shop that wasn't a tradeskill item or a nano/health kit/stim? We rarely use the vendor booths past level 50ish, we simply mission for the items....

12) Some more random small scale events. These dont have to be story related (though that is sorely needed) but just small things, like a roller rat outbreak in the sewers, with maybe a Roller Rat queen boss that has to be killed for the outbreak to stop. Mutant raids on cities, flood ent or tir with mutants (make them agro) so players have to participate in the quelling, if they think they cant handle the mobs then let them hide by guards. Maybe some mantese uprising. etc. Do these, alot, a few times a week. would add some life to the game. If you start running these more often and all over, maybe a couple at the same time, you would not get the flood of people at each one that causes some of the problems when one actaully happens now.
    *I understand there is an event department of the arks, put them to work* =hell hire me, and ill do it 24/7= (shameless plug)
    Once again, yes and no... This would be WONDERFUL, don't get me wrong, but once again WE, the players, are at fault. Take your rollerrat outbreat for instance. Let's say the outbreak would start at 22:00 GMT. I assure you, by 22:15 everyone in the planet would know about it, log into an alt of the appropriate level (given that the event was level locked) and by 22:30 the rollerat queen would have been soloed by one or two high level twinks, while everyone it trying to make heads and tails of a dungeon designed for maybe 3 or 4 teams that has 200 people in it... And running multiple events could help, but... I don't know, it's a nice idea, but the implementation has to be well thought up.

13) some more vehicles. again a purely superficial addition, but it would be kewl to have a motorcycle or some such.
    Why not, theres already a model too (check in athen by the advanced shop)

13B) make some items like the Failed Ring of Flying, repairible, so that everyone can fly, similar to quantum wings for mps...
    As much as I like your ideas so far, this one gets a definite NO. I never played a MP, but I know what it feels like to have something that is unique to you ripped out and distributed to the masses *cough* grid and grid nanos *cough*. No. You want uniqueness, and then you say "so EVERYONE can fly", let MP's be unique I say...

14) guild message of the day. Something I can post as a guild leader and every member of my guild recieves it when they log on. This would be a very very nice addition.
    MOTD is very much needed, bumpiti bumpiti bumpbumpbump

15) A reason for boats (hydro vehicles). change these to make players being able to fight in them (ie ground assualt vehicles) but only in water. Say you have to go swiming before you can use the vehicle, and then add soem aquatic mobs back. Maybe only out in deep water. or in a zone that has only a couple small islands to rest and recharge on. Just that rubi-ka has some nice areas with large ammounts of water. Why not make use of it. Maybe make the boats a lot more affordable then a yalm, so that it would be a transportation alternative that actually makes sence. *since there are a number of players now that don't know you can walk from rome to ent without using a womp gate or grid*
    Sure, why not...

16) I would like to see custom skins in the game, though I understand the problems this causes in this type of game. But it would be nice to beable to wear a guild Coat or some such, even if it was purely social wear. Maybe work it into the game by creating a stamping items that uses this custom skin and applies it to a blank item you have to buy.
    No please, not more textures. Not until they fix the obvious flaws of their graphical engine. And it would also require a big database revamp, since an item's textures are referenced directly from the database

Phew, that was a lot, ill review the other ideas at a later date
    Last edited by Basher Tarr; Jan 13th, 2003 at 15:24:23.
    Basher Tarr, Engineer, and damn proud of it!

(really)

Thumbs up yet a couple more

Another idea posted by someone that I think is great so Im adding it here and the link to the original thread.

http://<a href="http://forums.anarch...9969</a><br />

Allow pet users to warp their pets to them. If not built in as a pet command (which would be nice) how about as a seperate nano line (similar to the engi's abil to warp people to them) only it only works on the casters pets. *bingo pets getting stuck 6 rooms behind solved.* well not solved but at least more tollerable.

And the reload button that so many people have asked for. Just put it in already.

ok well thought those ideas needed to be brought up again.
    Last edited by Etrigan; Jan 20th, 2003 at 06:45:13.
    ===================

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%