Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: BUMP for new complete IPR

Beyond having thousands of clones running around, I still haven't read why a full IPR would damage the play of those of you who are arguing against it.

Fine, there will be clones: This affects you how?
    Fine, people can switch from smg to pistol on a whim: This affects you how?

Change from str/stam armor to agi/sense, take ip from runspeed and put it into psycology, decrease a nano skill to increase one for a new nano line? How does this affect YOU.

I personally do not forsee needing one for my mains remaining 75 levels. But if player xxxx uses a full ipr, I just don't see how it will affect me and my game playing.

How many people came to this game, or created what is now their main, after the previous IPR? A lot I'm sure. What I can see that may be a reason, for a high level player that has been around a while, not to want a full IPR, is that you had an opportunity to maximize your character with the first IPR. Now you feel uber and are doing great in PvP. You used the IPR to make changes to your character that you learned would be usefull after 100+ levels. Now, when someone talks about IPR, the idea maybe even scares you. All those players who are now at the point where you used your IPR, don't have that option. And they are unable to do what you could do.

Personally, the only changes in the system we have now, would have been to not have a timer on the original IPR, being able to use it at anytime over your 200 levels, and to add a way to gain ipr points through a quest. Maybe something that can only be done once every few months or something.

Anyway, to summarize, the only people that a full IPR would actually HARM, are those that used the original full IPR to maximize their character, and are afraid of others having the same option now.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

i agree totally

bump for Jellobiafra(and for IPpoints sure)

u said what i couldnt say cause my english is ****.

thx
    /tell Oezcan

Originally posted by Jellobiafra
    Beyond having thousands of clones running around, I still haven't read why a full IPR would damage the play of those of you who are arguing against it.

Change from str/stam armor to agi/sense, take ip from runspeed and put it into psycology, decrease a nano skill to increase one for a new nano line? How does this affect YOU.

I personally do not forsee needing one for my mains remaining 75 levels. But if player xxxx uses a full ipr, I just don't see how it will affect me and my game playing.

How many people came to this game, or created what is now their main, after the previous IPR? A lot I'm sure. What I can see that may be a reason, for a high level player that has been around a while, not to want a full IPR, is that you had an opportunity to maximize your character with the first IPR. Now you feel uber and are doing great in PvP. You used the IPR to make changes to your character that you learned would be usefull after 100+ levels. Now, when someone talks about IPR, the idea maybe even scares you. All those players who are now at the point where you used your IPR, don't have that option. And they are unable to do what you could do.

Personally, the only changes in the system we have now, would have been to not have a timer on the original IPR, being able to use it at anytime over your 200 levels, and to add a way to gain ipr points through a quest. Maybe something that can only be done once every few months or something.

Anyway, to summarize, the only people that a full IPR would actually HARM, are those that used the original full IPR to maximize their character, and are afraid of others having the same option now.
    List #1

List #2

List #3

I don't crosspost. And there's a whole thread where the arguments have been playing out already. Where the reasons both For AND Against are supported by more than "Bump".
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Re: Re: Re: Re: yepp

Originally posted by Kuroshio
    Name the last 3 weapons that were changed in the way you describe please.
    I will take a crack at this; here:

- Joint Clans Patriot (uses rifle/bow combo now)
    - Schuyler Bow (been broken forever, used melee init, people who used had to reset their skills back)
    - Manex Catastrophe (same as above, change in init skill required), a lot of people went this route as well.

Notice I mentioned weapons which are viable; it means that players actually use those in the game.

Having 5 IPR points at level <100 means that I'm less prone to experimentation. Switching from say, Ithaca to Schuyler warrants a reset of 6 skills, and increase in 2 (RI, Shotgun, AS, FS, EE, WS -> PI, Bow).

Perhaps that's why you don't see too many people with different weapons running around. Experimentation is sort of costly in this game.
    Ananke - Carrah - Loretta

ZWhen the going got tough, the tough ran away

I don't crosspost. And there's a whole thread where the arguments have been playing out already. Where the reasons both For AND Against are supported by more than "Bump".
    And I don't care if you do or don't; the title of this post is BUMP for new complete IPR

Welcome to the club.

bizump!

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Kuroshio everything u do and everything u say wont change my need for IPpoints.

And everything u do and everything u say is a free bump here.

u can post ur "good" arguments (against IPpoints) to ur link1 link2 link3

thx for reading this.
    /tell Oezcan

I did NOT use my full IPR so your last statement is downright WRONG.... I have all of my IPR on my enforcer and a LOT of skills (MA, 1hb,1he, SA, FA, Multi wield) with points I dont use in the least (well FA for FoB). Yet I still have all my IPR.. why? beccause I think that they are wrong, I think they lead to nerfs (I have other reasons, but this is the one I will focus on).

yes this is cross posting, but only because you have not heard ANYONE explain the detriment of IPR... I will explain another reason if you want but lets focus on nerfs.

I hate nerfs, they ruin the game more than any other single factor.

Funcom nerfs anything that is overpowered, but how do you define overpowered? It seems to me that Funcom looks at what everyone is doing, compairs it to other things and then (normally) nerfs it or removes it.

Freedom arms removed
    one style of nova removed
    LLTS removed
    Crit buffs nerfed
    that neat looking clan armor removed (forgot its name)
    MA attacks nerfed
    Crit or die weapons nerfed

Just to name a few. IPR lead to cookie cutters of the uber of the day/week/month type. Then funcom nerfs them, forcing them to look for a new uber template that use more IPR which bring another nerf.

People dont change pistols on a whim, they do so because there is "uber item X" that they want to use. People dont change to experiment, because they normally DONT CHANGE BACK unless they get nerfed.

People causing these nerfs DIRECTLY EFFECTS ME because when I get nerfed it is because of the flavor of the month player.

There is a reason for you.. a couple of others that I wont go into detail about are

1) Me working hard to find a "better way" to do something and then everyone "steals" my idea and toil and sweat at no risk, cost, or thought. If you want to use my new "template" it should cost you, not cash, not time, but IP!!!!

2) I lose my uniquness to cookie cutter toons (if I find something cool like in item 1)

3) in an imersive persistant world I lose my "imersion" when I can switch skills on the fly, how is that supposed to be a simulated world... I am an engineer, can I just reset myself to be a politician? No, because I spent all my time learning something different.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

BUMPAGE..!!!
    i missed out on the first ip reset (wasnt on for the 2 weeks or whatever u could do it) and my first character who is a nano mp with dual riders has spent so much ip on junk that i cant just reset what i have cause i dont have enuf points...
    i still use this character every now and again cause its the only one with a yalm
    please one more chance for a full ip reset..!!!

Originally posted by Myself

thx for reading this.
    Please tell me what you spent your IPR on... then we may have a good conversation. I have found nobody that has been gimped by Funcom enough to need all those 15 IPR and a full IPR... and if you gimped yourself then too F'n bad .

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yepp

Originally posted by Loretta

I will take a crack at this; here:

- Joint Clans Patriot (uses rifle/bow combo now)
    - Schuyler Bow (been broken forever, used melee init, people who used had to reset their skills back)
    - Manex Catastrophe (same as above, change in init skill required), a lot of people went this route as well.

Notice I mentioned weapons which are viable; it means that players actually use those in the game.

Having 5 IPR points at level <100 means that I'm less prone to experimentation. Switching from say, Ithaca to Schuyler warrants a reset of 6 skills, and increase in 2 (RI, Shotgun, AS, FS, EE, WS -> PI, Bow).

Perhaps that's why you don't see too many people with different weapons running around. Experimentation is sort of costly in this game.
    The Join Clans Patriot was the name of crossbow we were looking for in the other thread. Thanks. MAs were using it for alpha strikes in PvP and then switching to other weapons/fist I believe. For some reason, I'm not feeling much sympathy for them

I use bow on my Trader and currently use the Schuyler bow with him. I've used bow from before the Schuyler bow was fixed and currently use a Schuyler bow. What did I use till it got fixed? An OT Limb Bow. I made my character to wield bows, not any specific bow. Nobody forced anyone to put IP in melee init to wield the Schuyler as fast as possible while there were other viable alternatives availible until it was fixed.

Same as above. MPS, MCS, OT Kerans Minigrinner.

People chose immediate power when making those choices. They got what they wanted when they made those choices.

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Originally posted by Myself

thx for reading this.
    If any developer is pondering IPR based on a thread like this, which posts do you think they're going to pay attention to? The single line "bump" posts supporting the topic? Not likely. Most likely they're going to look at the posts that actually support a stance, either for or against the particular action, and look at the reasons given.

"Bumps" can be simply tallied. Cohesive arguments get analyzed. Or do you think that Funcom looks at the post count of a thread and goes "Okay, we do that" knowing that maybe 10% of the people that play their game use the boards? Better hope not. Cause the thread that's titled "Remove the mechanics for complete IPR and burn the disks the code is on!" is leading in post counts.

Bump threads are worthless and I hope you can see why.

No Kuroshio, they want to remain competitive with others while playing the game; they don't want to be labeled as gimps.

Here is an example why IPR is needed.

I know a trader who, from the beginning, rolled a trader who would use SMG based weapons exclusively. She's over 150 now, and uses Manex.

The time that Trader has been alive in RK-1: 6 weeks.

Take another trader, who hasn't leveled this fast; he's ~145 or so now.

He's used his IPR points to swap from shotgun -> X-3 -> shotgun. Call it an experiment. He needs 5 more levels to get a few extra IPR points. Then he has a choice to make:

1. Go with Manex, which is a single skill damage weapon. While doing IPR, he will most likely reset skills required to equip LLTS. Depending on the shotgun, we are talking about 1-5 IPR points needed. What if Funcom introduces a new shotgun that's not critical reliant, and hits as hard as a Manex?

2. Stay with shotguns, and take the wait and see attitude, and hope that the long promised LLTS nerf, won't take effect. If it does, he will have to seek an alternative weapon, unless Funcom introduces a new shotgun that's not critical reliant, and hits as hard as a Manex.

Your sympathy comment says a lot as well. People try to adapt to changing conditions. See, in real life, there are no IPR points, there are no points at all. You train, you learn. You chose to stick to an inferior weapon until the weapon of your choice got fixed. What if it never got fixed?

I, for one, would have sympathy for you.

Originally posted by Yazule

I did NOT use my full IPR so your last statement is downright WRONG.... I have all of my IPR on my enforcer and a LOT of skills (MA, 1hb,1he, SA, FA, Multi wield) with points I dont use in the least (well FA for FoB). Yet I still have all my IPR.. why? beccause I think that they are wrong, I think they lead to nerfs (I have other reasons, but this is the one I will focus on).

yes this is cross posting, but only because you have not heard ANYONE explain the detriment of IPR... I will explain another reason if you want but lets focus on nerfs.

I hate nerfs, they ruin the game more than any other single factor.

Funcom nerfs anything that is overpowered, but how do you define overpowered? It seems to me that Funcom looks at what everyone is doing, compairs it to other things and then (normally) nerfs it or removes it.

Freedom arms removed
    one style of nova removed
    LLTS removed
    Crit buffs nerfed
    that neat looking clan armor removed (forgot its name)
    MA attacks nerfed
    Crit or die weapons nerfed

Just to name a few. IPR lead to cookie cutters of the uber of the day/week/month type. Then funcom nerfs them, forcing them to look for a new uber template that use more IPR which bring another nerf.

People dont change pistols on a whim, they do so because there is "uber item X" that they want to use. People dont change to experiment, because they normally DONT CHANGE BACK unless they get nerfed.

People causing these nerfs DIRECTLY EFFECTS ME because when I get nerfed it is because of the flavor of the month player.

There is a reason for you.. a couple of others that I wont go into detail about are

1) Me working hard to find a "better way" to do something and then everyone "steals" my idea and toil and sweat at no risk, cost, or thought. If you want to use my new "template" it should cost you, not cash, not time, but IP!!!!

2) I lose my uniquness to cookie cutter toons (if I find something cool like in item 1)

3) in an imersive persistant world I lose my "imersion" when I can switch skills on the fly, how is that supposed to be a simulated world... I am an engineer, can I just reset myself to be a politician? No, because I spent all my time learning something different.
    I too hate nerfs my friend. But I don't think that you can blame IPR for nerfs. Some of the nerfs you listed happened before the IPR, so you can throw those out. Others can in no way be blamed on an IPR.

And people don't experiment, you are right. But ask why? It's because they can't. It's too expensive. Think of it this way:
    I go to create a doc. Now, as someone who has played the game for a while, I know better than to just jump into it, and pick a route. So what do I do? I spend some time reading the Doc forum to find out what template is best for a Doc. What template has the best chance of making me uber. And I go forth with my cookie cutter toon. No IPR needed to do this.

Now, on the other hand, if that person had the option of having a full IPR every once in a while, his toon may be up for much more experimentation which could lead him to finding something that works better for his play style.

Uniqueness is absolutely impossible in a game atmosphere, where you have an unlimited possible number of players, and a very limited number of options for proffessions, weapons, or armor. Take a walk to NLC and look around at all the 175+ soldiers. Most of the differences you will see in toons is in the height of the toon. Can you blame a full IPR on that? No. Blame a game that has few templates that work on a permanent basis.

As far as changing on the fly not being part of a simulated world, I guess I can understand things like tradeskills. But are you telling me that in RL, you can not put down a shotgun and pick up a machine gun?

I'm sorry, I understand where you are coming from with your arguments, but said arguments are full of holes.

You believe that full IPR leads to cookie cutter toons, because people don't really experiment. I believe the exact opposite. People don't experiment, because game mechanics do not allow it.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

No Kuroshio, they want to remain competitive with others while playing the game; they don't want to be labeled as gimps.

Here is an example why IPR is needed.

I know a trader who, from the beginning, rolled a trader who would use SMG based weapons exclusively. She's over 150 now, and uses Manex.

The time that Trader has been alive in RK-1: 6 weeks.

Take another trader, who hasn't leveled this fast; he's ~145 or so now.

He's used his IPR points to swap from shotgun -> X-3 -> shotgun. Call it an experiment. He needs 5 more levels to get a few extra IPR points. Then he has a choice to make:

1. Go with Manex, which is a single skill damage weapon. While doing IPR, he will most likely reset skills required to equip LLTS. Depending on the shotgun, we are talking about 1-5 IPR points needed. What if Funcom introduces a new shotgun that's not critical reliant, and hits as hard as a Manex?

2. Stay with shotguns, and take the wait and see attitude, and hope that the long promised LLTS nerf, won't take effect. If it does, he will have to seek an alternative weapon, unless Funcom introduces a new shotgun that's not critical reliant, and hits as hard as a Manex.
    When you can explain to me why the 2nd trader deserves to be as effective as the first trader, I might find some sympathy for him. But what I see is someone that switches to whatever weapon is fashionable (or believed to be the most powerful) and wanting to do so without any cost whatsoever. The 2nd trader's IP expenditure is catching up with him now. He chose to spend his IP on shotgun, then on an X-3, then on shotgun. He's made his choice. Now he should deal with the results of his choices.

Your sympathy comment says a lot as well. People try to adapt to changing conditions. See, in real life, there are no IPR points, there are no points at all. You train, you learn. You chose to stick to an inferior weapon until the weapon of your choice got fixed. What if it never got fixed?

I, for one, would have sympathy for you.
    I didn't choose to stick with an inferior weapon. I chose to use the best weapon availible for the skillset I had. Because of the physical init problem, that made the Schuyler Bow inferior. But those people knowingly invested in the wrong skill just to wield a bow which was known to be bugged? That's what happens when you build your character to use an Item and not to use a skill set.

If ever there was a better example for the lengths people will go to in order to attempt to remain the absolute top I've never seen it. Purposely investing in the wrong skill to use a bugged weapon? And you need IPR because you did?
    Last edited by Kuroshio; Jan 14th, 2003 at 21:35:52.

I too hate nerfs my friend. But I don't think that you can blame IPR for nerfs. Some of the nerfs you listed happened before the IPR, so you can throw those out. Others can in no way be blamed on an IPR.

And people don't experiment, you are right. But ask why? It's because they can't. It's too expensive. Think of it this way:
    I go to create a doc. Now, as someone who has played the game for a while, I know better than to just jump into it, and pick a route. So what do I do? I spend some time reading the Doc forum to find out what template is best for a Doc. What template has the best chance of making me uber. And I go forth with my cookie cutter toon. No IPR needed to do this.

Now, on the other hand, if that person had the option of having a full IPR every once in a while, his toon may be up for much more experimentation which could lead him to finding something that works better for his play style.

Uniqueness is absolutely impossible in a game atmosphere, where you have an unlimited possible number of players, and a very limited number of options for proffessions, weapons, or armor. Take a walk to NLC and look around at all the 175+ soldiers. Most of the differences you will see in toons is in the height of the toon. Can you blame a full IPR on that? No. Blame a game that has few templates that work on a permanent basis.

As far as changing on the fly not being part of a simulated world, I guess I can understand things like tradeskills. But are you telling me that in RL, you can not put down a shotgun and pick up a machine gun?

I'm sorry, I understand where you are coming from with your arguments, but said arguments are full of holes.

You believe that full IPR leads to cookie cutter toons, because people don't really experiment. I believe the exact opposite. People don't experiment, because game mechanics do not allow it.

oh, I was not saying that IPR created all those nerfs, I was showing how over use of something indicates to funcom that it need nerfing, IPR just increases the overuse of items therefore creating a higher percentage of nerfs.

and a guy that uses a shotgun would not be nearly as qualified to fire a machinegun (i have fired both and they are very different)

and yes it is hard to be unique in all online games, but it is impossible if people can change on the fly (assuming you "invent a better mousetrap)

the skill in mmog's is planning (these are not twitch games)

I think you want holes in my arguments more than they are there

anyway, dont know why I got into this again, kuroshio is doing a fine job lol.

Final note, love the name, Jello is my favorite artist "chicken5h1t conformist like your parents" is a great IPR theme song hehe

ROFLOL

Cool

When you can explain to me why the 2nd trader deserves to be as effective as the first trader, I might find some sympathy for him.
    Sure, he deserves it because he dared to be different, and game's mechanics changed. Game should reward everyone, not just those who can play more than others.

I didn't choose to stick with an inferior weapon. I chose to use the best weapon availible for the skillset I had (snip)
    No, you chose an inferior weapon set to begin with. After all, you didn't select a skillset, then tried to find a weapon for it, it was the other way around. Most people who chose bows did so to be different. Pow-bows are inferior at any level when compared to anything else out there, including Ithaca (with or without a scope). Moreover, even after the fixes, Schuyler is inferior to other similar-damage weapons because it not only misses, but also gets parried, and has no specials. You should know that. I know that because I tried one.

If ever there was a better example for the lengths people will go to in order to attempt to remain the absolute top I've never seen it. Purposely investing in the wrong skill to use a bugged weapon? And you need IPR because you did?
    I don't need IPR; see, that's what you don't understand. I'm not threatened by a global IPR. But I see how this game continously changes, and how certain people tried different weapons with varying success. Just like there is nothing with being an absolute gimp, there is nothing wrong with remaining the absolute top.

And to answer your last question:

Yes, so that they can remain competitive.

Life changes. You don't just totally lose all the skill you ever had in something -- something that perhaps you took a long time to study and develop -- while trying to learn something new. And while there is a certain ability humans have in real life to adapt and retrain, it isn't a sure thing. People in real life get left behind by the changing world all the time.

I oppose complete IPR. I'm not actually all that crazy about the existing partial IPR. Yes, this is even though I used full IPR on two of my characters. It was a convenience, but I didn't absolutely need to do it, and I sure wasn't demanding it.

You want to redevelop your skills, you reroll. That's one major advantage this fantasy life has over the real thing.
    Bima, Golly, Whatsamatta, Laslingis and an army of sub-100 alts

Sure, he deserves it because he dared to be different, and game's mechanics changed. Game should reward everyone, not just those who can play more than others.
    He didn't dare to be different. Shotgun different for a trader? An X-3 different for just about anyone? ROFL.

No, you chose an inferior weapon set to begin with. After all, you didn't select a skillset, then tried to find a weapon for it, it was the other way around. Most people who chose bows did so to be different. Pow-bows are inferior at any level when compared to anything else out there, including Ithaca (with or without a scope). Moreover, even after the fixes, Schuyler is inferior to other similar-damage weapons because it not only misses, but also gets parried, and has no specials. You should know that. I know that because I tried one.
    Actually Loretta, that is almost EXACTLY how I end up with the weapons I use. Let's take the current example of a newbie NT I just created on RK1. I decided I'm going to wield 2 handed edged weapons with this character. Note I didn't say a specific weapon just a type of weapon. I do a little digging and find a lot of 2 handed edged weapons require 2HE/Brawl/Dimach. I invest in 2HE, Brawl, and Dimach. In the 2nd mission I take, I get a Dull Katana. I can also use a Longmoon, Haxor, True Katana, or Bladestaff. If I choose to, with further IP investment, I can wield other weapons as well. And I'll still be a 2HE Solitus NT

I don't need IPR; see, that's what you don't understand. I'm not threatened by a global IPR. But I see how this game continously changes, and how certain people tried different weapons with varying success. Just like there is nothing with being an absolute gimp, there is nothing wrong with remaining the absolute top.

And to answer your last question:

Yes, so that they can remain competitive.
    People didn't "try" other weapons. They switched to the weapons and generally enjoyed using them...Until the next flashy new toy came out. Now they want to switch weapons. Nobody in this thread wants to "try" a weapon and switch back to their original if they didn't like it. They want to be able to keep hopping from weapon to weapon and not care a whit what it does to the balance of the game in the meantime. Well Funcom cares what it does to the balance. They show us with every single nerf just how much they care about the balance of the game.

And yes, we'd still have nerfs with or without IPR. But I'll bet Funcom is willing to let some items be slightly overpowered if everyone isn't using them. The fact that they don't nerf those weapons until everyone is using them (or trying to) suggests this.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast