Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make the world more dark!

Exclamation Make the world more dark!

as of late, anarchy's happy, green, lightfilled world has begun to annoy me. the other day i received the latest edition of danish gaming magazine ">pc player" and it had the new cool ad for notum wars in it.
    the world on that picture is the world i want to play in! not this sissy clean as a computerchip production facility world ao takes place in!
    make it gritty, dark, dirty and i'll be happy!

[edit]now that i'm on the graphics track, how bout an optional hi-res texture pack for high end users? the version of doom 1 i'm playing has higher resolution textures than ao![/edit]
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Take off the night vision goggles.

Exclamation

i'm not wearing any nightvision goggles...
    and taking them off wouldn't remove the feel of squeaky cleanness the world has...
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Turn down the brightness on your monitor and throw mud at the screen, what sticks and drys should provide a nice dirty texture for you

I don't know what area's you hang out in, but the omni cities are generally clean while the clan ones have the more rundown beatnik look to them. Try outside east of old athen.

ok seriously, you have no idea what i'm talking about? i'm talking more trash in the streets; paper n' stuff flying over the ground, wisened leaves, textures that show decay on buildings.
    sorta like the ones in junkyard outside athens yea, but in more of a toned down way that gives the impression of a world suffering from the decay of war rather than a world that looks completely oblivious to what's happening in it!

i like the omni cities, but still, they're a bit too clean/empty of life... hmm maybe that's what i lack: life... the world looks dead.
    The Red Brotherhood

Hear hear. I agree with you, man. While I hated Neocron, they did have a very dark and gritty world. Like Bladerunner. I think the new Subway Dungeon has that look down a bit more than som e of the older zones. It's full of trash and dimly lit.

I still hear people complain that Anarchy Online is *too* dark and gritty- that it depresses them. They must be used to shiny, happy places like DAoC... so it's somewhere in between the dark and gritty place I'd like to see, and the bright, cartoony places I want to avoid.

I dig it, but I agree it could use a bit more ugliness.
    Last edited by Blue Cat; Jan 4th, 2003 at 01:31:39.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Some ideas makes the fact that FC doesn't listen to his players a good thing.

Gritty yes, Dark no, I'm already squinting at my screen trying to see stuff... and my teddies afraid of the dark *sucks thumb*

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Even if your minds confused,
    then this is what you need to do,
    you need to get that mixed up feeling upside in from out of you" -Mr. Bones

Another thing. Out in EFP, there are no plants ever growing by water, its just a angular scenery.. tjere could be a bit more movement in huge empty spaces/zones, i dont mean cute clientside critters either, and I dont mean mobs walkking aimlessly into walls and in circles, but moving life, swaying plants, more fishies, bring back the sharks!

The cities are pretty boring and without much creativity IMHO. ALot of camps have doors yuo cant enter, Primus camp used to have a room yuo could run inside, they should bring that back definitely. Just put it right by the notum profundis to make it hard to get to, and say you have to kill a quartus for the key

Ahhh, so you don't actually mean "dark", you mean "bleak" or "gritty". Hell, I thought you meant the darn game was too bright as in actual color brightness.

Originally posted by Emiko
    Another thing. Out in EFP, there are no plants ever growing by water, its just a angular scenery.. tjere could be a bit more movement in huge empty spaces/zones, i dont mean cute clientside critters either, and I dont mean mobs walkking aimlessly into walls and in circles, but moving life, swaying plants, more fishies, bring back the sharks!

The cities are pretty boring and without much creativity IMHO. ALot of camps have doors yuo cant enter, Primus camp used to have a room yuo could run inside, they should bring that back definitely. Just put it right by the notum profundis to make it hard to get to, and say you have to kill a quartus for the key
    Turn back on all the environment features you've turned off to make the game run faster. Suddenly, a lot of this stuff you're asking for will be there.

MAKE THE WORLD MORE PINK.. and i want flying PIGS everywhere and tara is dancing in trainingsground ,"Generals right hand!" buffs ppl with swimming and TK is engis pet?
    /tell Oezcan

Originally posted by Mastablasta
    ok seriously, you have no idea what i'm talking about? i'm talking more trash in the streets; paper n' stuff flying over the ground, wisened leaves, textures that show decay on buildings.
    sorta like the ones in junkyard outside athens yea, but in more of a toned down way that gives the impression of a world suffering from the decay of war rather than a world that looks completely oblivious to what's happening in it!

i like the omni cities, but still, they're a bit too clean/empty of life... hmm maybe that's what i lack: life... the world looks dead.
    This is a contradiction of terms.

-----

There is a difference between nighttime and daytime. And have you ever been in the desert during a sandstorm? Its scary! Just open your eyes.

I dont want a darker world, because things are hard enough to spot already.

I love the beautiful scenery. The sun rising above the mountaintops in VW i.e. The stars filling the sky at night. The moon.

The only thing that lacks is shifting seasons. I want snow!
    I do not share your opinion on a darker world.
    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Originally posted by Jaesic

Turn back on all the environment features you've turned off to make the game run faster. Suddenly, a lot of this stuff you're asking for will be there.

They are on laddy I just want to see more. Theres I guess 50% or more area of rubi ka that is empty.

Originally posted by Lavitar

The only thing that lacks is shifting seasons. I want snow!
    I do not share your opinion on a darker world.
    Seasons... hmm... I don't know that I'd want to be the one who came up with the mathematical model for seasons on a terraformed planet with two suns.

It shouldnt be too hard to implement shifting seasons. Make summer and winter last a few weeks each. Maybe 1 month? With a few days of storm during the shift.
    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

And terraforming means man taking controll over the elements to make them suit mankind's needs. So - mankind need shifting seasons, at least to suit the need for variety.

actually terraforming means making land more earthlike, its all in the name

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

You are completely right, lilnymph! But that is just another way of saying what I was trying to say. Thank you for saying it better!

And making Rubi-ka more earthlike should mean shifting seasons. It is UN-earthlike not having it. Dont you agree?

Originally posted by Lavitar
    You are completely right, lilnymph! But that is just another way of saying what I was trying to say. Thank you for saying it better!

And making Rubi-ka more earthlike should mean shifting seasons. It is UN-earthlike not having it. Dont you agree?
    depends on how far you live from the equator doesn't it? not everyone on earth has radical seasonal weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast