Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To tip or not to tip

To tip or not to tip

I dont know about other players here but what is the general consencus on tipping these days.
    Actually im a little anoyed at many requests for buffs these days(mostly from pvp twinks), usually im eather in conversations seeking others to join a team or doing something else that keeps my mind occupied.
    On the rare moment im absolutelly free I dont mind at all.
    Whenever i ask for a buff , i tell the person i will tip for their time, it is only polite i think. As a fixer i may heve been tipped 2 times in the last month while giving up countless hot, run, ncu buffs.

Maybe im a bit annoyed at the fact that i have spent millions on wrangles and mochams and recive little consideration myself.
    I dont know how others feel about it, its not the money its the principle of the thing.
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

I'm in favor of tipping

I always tip for buffs and in return I expect to at least be offered a tip.....I don't always take the tip, but I would at least like to see one offered.
    Klamersan

Klamer7

Anitabuff
    Baby - It's what's for dinner.

Veteran of Apocalypse

This was never a issue with me, until around lvl 165.. ever since then I have steadily more and more been asked for buffs..

These days at lvl 187 I cant go even 2 minutes without requests for

Parrot, one person or whole team
    "MY best perception buff"
    Wolf
    Sabre
    Leet

I dont care for tips, why? People buff me all the time, so I give freely. Tips are cool, sometimes I turn em away sometimes I dont, it depends on the situation, but I never demand them.

As an MA, before the crit buff got nerfed I would cast it 20-30 times a day. I never requested a tip but I hardly ever got an offer for one either.
    Sometimes people would ask for multiple buffs like Reduced Initiative, SubG, Dirty Fighter etc and even then not offer a tip.
    I was asked by a Doc for SubG and gave it to him then asked him for IC and Treatment buff and he actually asked me how much I was going to tip!
    I don't even bother asking for buffs anymore unless it's a good friend or a guildmate.

I say kick him in the head, then debuff his ass

I think tipping others for buffs is a nice gesture.

I agree, it's not like the old days of AO, where tipping 200-300k for +80 treatment buff.
    Illuminati

220 Arinova - Bureaucrat
    207 Novatek - Soldier
    200 Vitalangel - Doctor
    200 Teknova - Fixer
    200 Je'Tina - Shade

tipping when asking for a buff is a nice gesture. I allways do that.

But what about when receiving buffs without asking for them?
    In those cases a 'thanks' in vicinity or in a tell will do.

Originally posted by Kwerk
    As an MA, before the crit buff got nerfed I would cast it 20-30 times a day. I never requested a tip but I hardly ever got an offer for one either.
    Sometimes people would ask for multiple buffs like Reduced Initiative, SubG, Dirty Fighter etc and even then not offer a tip.
    I was asked by a Doc for SubG and gave it to him then asked him for IC and Treatment buff and he actually asked me how much I was going to tip!
    I don't even bother asking for buffs anymore unless it's a good friend or a guildmate.
    what? the nerve.... what popped into my mind, was to tell the doc that you allready paid, with SubG

As a fixer i may heve been tipped 2 times in the last month while giving up countless hot, run, ncu buffs.
    my fixer maybe has been tipped 2 times for buffs since release, so your doing better than me

i always get a tell to buff someone when im playing my fixer and i have my nose in a mission booth. ill get the tell "can i get a runbuff & a HoT?" with them standing there knowing full well im busy... them people usually dont get buffs from me... i just pretend i didnt see the tell message in the clicksaver chat spam... if you are standing next to me you dont have to send a tell, vincinity chat works.

if im not busy, i almost always buff people who ask me and almost always tipp people who buff me...

i also hate when someone send you a tell "can i get a run buff" you start tabbing for them to do it and surprize surprize they arent any where near you... i dont even answer them back.

its good to atleast offer a tip after someone who hits you with a buff you send them a tell for... consider it a "pain in the a** fee"... they just might buff you again next time for free or not even take the creds in the first place.
    JapellaZ
    Bureaucrat

'If you think you finally found the perfect light... i hope it's true' -Belly

I used to tip for nearly any buff I ever got, unless I got it without a request, but now I don't. Why? Because I've learned that casting a buff is simple - you click a macro. If they have to get a buff for it or something, yea, I'll tip, but otherwise I don't. Then again that's just me... (I do tradeskills for free, at any Ql, and don't require, nor request, nor generally except tips)

~Chris

I've been giving buffs for free as long as I can remember.
    Especially when I used the trade bank as a good trading spot for items, I would also get like 5 requests for buffs in like the first 10 secs I would stand there.

It was even so bad once that I really became part of the environment, if people needed essence, they went to the Trade bank. A person said to me, 'he you look different, changed anything?'. And I indeed had, changed a green sleeve to a blue sleeve in my armor

Anyway what I tried saying, is that I've given so much buffs that I don't even dare guess how many it were.

I haven't asked for tips ever, and in reverse I'm not expecting to be asked for one either when I ask for buffs.
    • RK2: Dyna2 Enfo Dyna18 NT Dyna666 Keeper Dyna4000 Fixer Dyna27012 Crat
    • RK-Test: Dyna0002 Meta-Physicist Dyna90210 Fixer ( 05-02-2003)
    • Check my QL200 Enforcer implant designs at Auno.org: 1HE 2HE 2HB
    • Best custom map: Raiko's Map (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)
    • Best custom skin: Notum DovveTech HUD upgrade (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)

Omni-Tek is your friend!
    Elnertz: "I spend all my time making all the loot mine, all because there is no ****ing storyline!"

I have asked for many buffs, I just started playing last week..I did have a 64 agent about 8-10 months ago but it has been long deleted from me quiting..the xp crashes in mutant domain were just TERRIBLE.. A LOT of people have been generous enough to give me omni pol armor and some cash. Getting a tip from buffing is cool but if your new and poor what can you do but ask and sim ply say ty very much! One day when I can tip well I will do so and I thank you all for your buffs/help.
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/character/bio/d/1/name/speeedi

If your a GA twink fixer who wants a 132 to equip their GA and you don't offer a phat tip then you just got the only wrangle you're ever going to get from me

Engies get free buffs and other then that its just if you wanna tip. As for the person complaining about 20-30 times per day. Well in 1 hour today lfg at tir grid i got 13-132 wrangle requests and that requires me to run off and deprive. and a bunch of smaller ones as well.

Tip. Always.

I'm dead sick of giving out HoTs to random tells from little twinks who type /list fixer. The problem is, the first one I reply to with a "step off" will be all over the boards flaming me.

I'd love to comment on the sense entitlement some people have when it comes to buffs, but it isn't worth it. For some reason, very few players think Fixer buffs are worth tipping for. That's fine.

If we all decided that we weren't going to dole them out unless it was to our guildies, teammates, buddies, or paying customers it might change. Probably not.

I always offer a tip for any buff / tradeskill task that someone has carried out for me, it is only correct to do so. When someone askes for a buff from me (and is not too leet about it) and polite then I do not accept any tip they offer, however dont offer a tip and you may find it hard to get another buff from me ;P
    Promoo - Agent, Clan on Rimor
    Still alive but now dressed in spandex and called Big Gun in CoH
    Keeper Of Tiggy

Happy Tree Friends - The best animation on the web

Originally posted by Eidolus
    Tip. Always.

I'm dead sick of giving out HoTs to random tells from little twinks who type /list fixer. The problem is, the first one I reply to with a "step off" will be all over the boards flaming me.

I'd love to comment on the sense entitlement some people have when it comes to buffs, but it isn't worth it. For some reason, very few players think Fixer buffs are worth tipping for. That's fine.

If we all decided that we weren't going to dole them out unless it was to our guildies, teammates, buddies, or paying customers it might change. Probably not.
    Have you tried to type /anon when you're in-game? Makes you disappear from the /list.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

Not a tipper

I never tip, but then again I don't demand that people buff me either, that's just rude. I probably would tip if it was requested, and was a reasonable amount, and I don't believe there is anything wrong with making money off your buffs.

What I always do, if I ask from strangers, is to /bow, ask in /vicinity excuse me MrFixer? When he responds, I ask for Hot and Run please, and if he gives it to me (and I'd say 95% do, if not even higher than that) I say Thank you.

Be polite, never send a tell and don't demand, and I believe it makes everything much better.

Speaking as an adv, I've actually felt very left out that people never asked me for buffs, because most that we have are either useless or self only. Heck, I can hang around Tir Grid for hours without a single request.

Getting a bit better now that I can do Parrot (other), and also people are starting to realize that advies can buff Perception a quite ridiculous amount (at lvl 165 I'll be able to jack it up 680 points) and those scopes never OE.

And just to stir things up a bit, I'll say that maybe fixers, docs and traders should be glad they are constantly being asked for buffs, because if you weren't, you'd know you'd been nerfed.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

omg

lol this not a flame.. i love fixers and their buffs..but yet again a thread gets dominated by fixers thinking they have it hard.
    hots and run buffs!..what about the more rarer class buffs.
    why sometimes my docs like bennyhill running round trade with a train of players running behind after something...and omg the tell spam!
    i used to think players were rude..but its just not poss to awser all. it must be the same for agents and the high end traders and enforcers. there are like a million fixers in this game! try being the only doc about...and if i get tipped its very rare..but i would never ask for one.

ducks from flames

hehe, most of the time these days I get a tell..

You're the only high level adventurer on.....

Seems to be there aren't very many of us, so ya I am constantly in tell hell.

Some people just dont seem to understand who you might be conversing with that's more important then their getting a buff from me.. but let's see:

Let's say all of these things are going on at once:

(1) Guild chat
    (2) Team chat
    (3) Battle
    (4) Vicinity chat
    (5) Several friends in tell
    (6) Several players requesting buffs

Most of the time when someone asks for a buff its someone i buffed to SD 5 minutes or less earlier . They or part ended up inthe wrong GS so they need parroting again.. etc..

I find people really nice when I tell them, oh sorry Im way the heck out in nowhere land right now.. or Im at Primus Camp now tying Notum Profundis's shoelaces together.

People tend to be pretty considerate. So buffing people is a honour, it sgood to feel people need your talents. Sometimes you just cant answer em though, ya try to saysomething, but I think people understand .

I normaly buff for free to Clan. I just hit them with my spam:

This buff provided by Whisper's Edge.
    Whisper's Edge cares about you.
    Visit our gridsite at www.whispers-edge.com

I'll accept tips from someone who appears well off, but its very rare that anyone offers.

The thing that angers me though is rude people DEMANDING buffs. I was sitting outside SD the other day chatting to my friend and some MA walks up and demands I FP to give him Parrot (I'm an agent). I told the fellow I couldn't self cast it yet, which happened to be the truth. So he walks off. A few minutes latter he comes back and says, "Go FP Enforcer and give me your best essence." Not a please...not an offer of payment...not a consideration if I was busy. I basically told him to go to to hell. Had he been polite about, "Excuse me miss, might I trouble you to please give me a good essence; I would be happy to compensate for the trouble" I would have buffed him for free and been glad to help another Clan.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast