Thread: Question on Professions

Question on Professions

I am back in the game after playing for a bit around the time of release. I am just wanting to find out what everyone thought of the professions and of their favorite one in particular. I am not looking for an uber profession, just have not had the time to play each one to a high enough level to see if that is what I wanted to play.

Now I am not trying to start a "my profession is better than yours thread", more like, this is my profession and this is what I like about it and what I do not like. I keep reading threads on this but they are mostly flames and calls for nerfs.

I guess I will ask a question to start, what do you think is the top 3 PvM professions and top 3 PvP professions and why. Also maybe say which professions are better at soloing (I sometimes play at odd hours when not a lot of people are on) and which ones really need to be in a group.

Thanks in advance for any info, look forward to seeing you ingame.

good post by brad over at beginners, it is rooted.

Thanks Thyrra, that was a good read. I am curious though, everyone seems to say a certain profession gets hard at such and such an lvl then easier again later. Anyone have any ideas what lvl the more common profs get hard at (not sure how high I will be able to play a prof with my playing time).

Generally, they get hard at title caps, most noticably 85ish-100 and 130ish-150. Thats simply because you can improve the character through raising (green) skills. Thus, a crat is stuck at lvl 149 with the calms/charms he used at lvl 125, an MA is stuck at lvl 99 with the MA skill he had at lvl 82 etc.

There are also some "gaps" in nano-lines for the various professions; MA's as an example have MA buffs of +12 / +20 / +60 / +140. Just before you can use the +60 MA mastery, its a bit tough, same with the +140 one. This can be helped with getting special items and/or buffs, but it hurts nonetheless.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

Thanks Dave, that is a big help. I just got a character to lvl 40 so I have not experienced that yet. Will have to keep that in mind. Trying out a Engie, Doc, and Fixer right now but might try an MP or a Soldier soon just too see how they work too.