Thread: Wierdness about certain skills in the game...

Wierdness about certain skills in the game...

Every character has over 60 skills in this game. Most of them are there for a reason, some of them have no purpose. Most of them make sense in its implementation, others are beyond logic. Have a look:

-Adventuring.
    Easily one of the most useless skills in the game. You need it only to equip backpacks and it doesn't provide much of a benefit to wear a backpack on your back when tank armor or a webcloak could go there.

Suggestion:
    Eliminate the ability of NPCs to warp to you when you change elevation and make Adventuring define the speed at which you climb up hills and mountainsides.

-Riposte.
    Easily the most botched skill in the game. Riposte (by definition) is basically a counter-attack launched after successfully parrying an opponent. Parry is already in the game (although parrying gunfire shouldn't be possible).

Suggestion:
    Riposte should be a special attack available to melee weapon users for up to five seconds after they successfully parry something.

-Trap Disarm.
    There is only one use for this skill and the name implies it. The sad thing is that it is a one-way street: there is no placing of traps.

Suggestion:
    Rename the skill to "Trap Placement and Disarming" and allow the players to set traps. A Sense Trap ability should also be implement and should lock perception the same way "Search" does.

-Psychology:
    When you hear the word, you automatically think of it having to do with the mind and the way it works. In this game, you need Psychology to a) wear DeCranums, b) place certain Towers, c) use the aggression enhancers, and d) build certain refined implants. Out of the four, only c) would seem as an appropriate use of the skill. Is it just me??

Suggestions:
    a) - Take the psychology req off of DeCraniums and make it require another base ability.
    b) - Placing a tower shouldn't require psychology. It should actually take some Strength to erect the tower, some Agility to keep your own balance while erecting the tower, and some Intelligence to initialize the tower.
    d) - All implant creation should be based on the nano programming skill and none others. Psychology & Pharma Tech should not be required to build implants.

-Grenade:
    Very few nade launchers and only two types of nades to throw. Hmmmmm...

Suggestion:
    Rename the skill to "Grenades and Explosives", implement bombs (you know, those cute little things that go boom and destroy everything in the immediate area..) and allow the players to set bombs. Placing and disarming a bomb should revolve around this skill.

And while you're at it, please refine the player-made MayFly grenades so that they are not unique and don't require the person attempting to pull the pin to be an electrical engineer. Grenade pins are not that complex and these nades aren't even good enough to warrant the tag "unique".

-Tutoring:
    When I think of tutoring, I envision two people: the tutor and the subject being tutored. So why am I only able to tutor myself in this game?

Suggestion:
    Allow people with enough tutoring skill to tutor others and not just themselves.

-Edit
    -Sharp Obj:
    Thought of this over the weekend. Haven't yet seen a single item in the game require this skill. I've only played an NT and generally have no use for throwing weapons, yet I have searched through the shops and haven't been able to find a single item using this skill. I heard that there were once ninja stars in the game that MAs could throw at people but they were removed because FC couldn't get the animation right. Hmm.

Suggestion:
    Rename the skill to "Throwing Weapons" and put stuff in the game to throw at people (like rocks (boulders for Trox characters), knives, ninja stars, tranq darts, etc..).

I'm sure there is more skill weirdness out there, just need more coffee to think of it all....
    Last edited by Naraya; Dec 23rd, 2002 at 22:11:10.
    .: Naraya :.

Re: Wierdness about certain skills in the game...

They should definitely do something more with all of those skills, as they genereally are completely beyond me as to why they're even in the game. A lot of them are just plain broken (riposte doesn't work the way they wanted it to), and adventuring doesn't make sense since you can carry backpacks in your inventory - so there is no benefit to wearing them, except of course if you have the tara loot pack (which you can eq. with implants and nothing into adventuring skill anyway... plus how many people HAVE that??)

Anyway there are some things you might have overlooked.

Originally posted by Naraya
    Riposte should be a special attack available to melee weapon users for up to five seconds after they successfully parry something.
    MA have a green riposte skill - I assume you AREN'T saying that an MA with no weapon should not be allowed this attack. What about MA weilding bows? The point is the ip into riposte, right? Not the genre of attacker you are. Also what about mobs using this attack? Should it be available to them too, or just to players?

Originally posted by Naraya
    A Sense Trap ability should also be implement and should lock perception the same way "Search" does.
    Umm, what do you mean by this? Search & perception skill already has the potential to detect (or sense) traps. Is that what you meant by the ability to sense a trap? If so it's already implemented.
    Last edited by Nikki; Dec 22nd, 2002 at 06:11:51.
    ~ Nikki "Kitene" Darling ~
    4925867th lvl 200 MA. cookie plz!
    ~ Lady "Aerfalle"Aerlinthe ~
    4925867th 200 NT. Gimme cookie
    '.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.>Storm<.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'

Trap placement and disarm.

This would be a good idea to maybe set traps up in your base.
    svendor lvl 206 nt
    Eternal fury
    LORD oF THE CLAW CAMP.

Re: Re: Wierdness about certain skills in the game...

Originally posted by Nikky
    MA have a green riposte skill - I assume you AREN'T saying that an MA with no weapon should not be allowed this attack. What about MA weilding bows? The point is the ip into riposte, right? Not the genre of attacker you are. Also what about mobs using this attack? Should it be available to them too, or just to players?
    It shouldn't be a profession-specific attack. Anyone with the IP into Riposte should be able to use it so long as they are not wielding any type of ranged weapon (i.e. gun, bow, rifle, shotgun, assault rifle, pistol, etc..). If an MA is wielding a bow, said MA would have to de-equip the bow to allow Riposte to activate should said MA successfully parry an incoming melee attack. Parrying a melee attack while wielding a ranged weapon should not be possible.

Umm, what do you mean by this? Search & perception skill already has the potential to detect (or sense) traps. Is that what you meant by the ability to sense a trap? If so it's already implemented.
    Is it? I didn't know that. I assume that if it is implemented, it only works on trapped chests and doors yes?
    .: Naraya :.