Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dungeons and Special NPCs

Regarding spawn rate.

Increasing spawing rate (or decreasing respawning timers time), would mean that unique items would be common items. Every players have all those "Unique" items. No... let's keep them unique.
    Wrong. Every player who is capable of killing the 'unique' monster will have these special items. What is making everybody sick is the fact that these items are 'special' because the people who are able to get them are for the most part jerks or idiots who have *time* as their commodity. There is nothing to be proud about having *time* to waste sitting on your ass in the middle of a playfield or at the end of a dungeon. This is NOT heroic.

Nobody mentions the fantastic fight they had with Nugget or the Ancient Gargantula for which they were rewarded a very special item. They mention how *lucky* they were to be there when he 'popped' so they could get the item. They mention how boring it was to sit for hours and hours. They mention the arguing over who 'gets' to kill the poor thing. This is plain crap, doodoo, feces.

Take the things out of the game if your special rewards are given for how long you can keep your client logged into the servers while you watch a baseball game and glance over at the game every few minutes to see if your target has 'popped'.

If the defeating of the enemy is special enough to merit a special reward, then I don't care if every damn player in the game has the special item. They earned it. The problem lies in the lvl150's killing a special monster 'for' a lvl50 character who was supposed to _earn_ it. This character should _not_ receive the special item. IT WAS NOT EARNED.

Anytime I read something like the original quote above, I cannot help (rightly or wrongly) but think that the player has either:

a.) managed to camp for countless hours to get his 'reward' and now is afraid his 'item' will be less 'special' if (God forbid) somebody else has it.

-or-

b.) is a member of some guild that has members stationed in a circle around the spawn point and is unwilling to let loose of their private little money pit.

Anarchy Online can do without the existence of the behavior in b.) and I could care less if every player who fits into category a.) leaves the game. We'll be better off without them.

Then there's the off-chance that this is the kind of player who simply wants some things to be 'special' simply because they are rare. These were the 'rare collectors' of UO. They valued a 'marble table' simply because everybody else didn't have one. I can appreciate this to a degree. They provided their share of grief in that game as well but didn't affect the balance of power. (How powerful can a table be?)

If one is so dead set on having rare or unique rewards for patience, then ask for items that are special in rewarding your patience. I offer examples:

1. Unique items that show up 1 in 10000 as mission rewards. Same effect as camping that damn unique for 19 hours. At least the playfield is leveled for every single player. The casual player will eventually get the mission in a statistically even number of tries as the NPC camper in the Uber Guild. I'm serious about this.

2. Have treasure chests randomly spawn at one of 10,000 or so locations scattered around Rubi-Ka. Put something unique in them. Let the player who is willing to search the world for hours on end be rewarded with something for his diligence and patience. I'm serious about this as well.

If you want to reward patience then do it with game mechanisms such as suggestions 1. or 2. These provide even playfields for ALL players to get special items. They _cannot_ be monopolized by a-hole guilds and should not affect character balance.

What must not be done is to artificially increase the value of the rewards for slaughtering an NPC by inflating its spawn rate. This pushes the chances for obtaining such an item far into the jerkish or socially inept player's arena. It encourages poor sportsmanship and reduces the fun for those players who don't wish to engage in such stupidity.

If something such as the 'Shades of Lucubration' affect character power then there MUST be an avenue to their procurement that is equally open to every single player who could benefit from their use. To have that avenue closed off by inconsiderate players or bad game mechanics is a sin. If the monster who drops them will likely kill me 100 times over the course of a week before I conquer him and receive my reward then so be it. I earned them. 'IKillzU' who sat on his ass for 20 hours watching the Sci-Fi channel drinking Jolt cola and then logged in his lvl150 character to kill the monster DID NOT EARN THEM. There is no respect to be given to this player or his gear .... only pity.

Thumbs up Re: Regarding spawn rate.

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Wrong. Every player who is capable of killing the 'unique' monster will have these special items. What is making everybody sick is the fact that these items are 'special' because the people who are able to get them are for the most part jerks or idiots who have *time* as their commodity. There is nothing to be proud about having *time* to waste sitting on your ass in the middle of a playfield or at the end of a dungeon. This is NOT heroic.
    I agree that there isn't nothing proud to be "sitting your ass in the middle of playfield", it really isn't heroic. That is why I suggested in my previous message:
    "Monsters don't respawn in dungeon. When all monsters are killed in dungeon, players must retreat from dungeon and start dungeon again. No more camping in boss monster room."

If the defeating of the enemy is special enough to merit a special reward, then I don't care if every damn player in the game has the special item. They earned it. The problem lies in the lvl150's killing a special monster 'for' a lvl50 character who was supposed to _earn_ it. This character should _not_ receive the special item. IT WAS NOT EARNED.
    That level 150 person used countless hours in game to get level 150 (unless he/she cheated). Maybe, that level 50 character didn't earn that, but you must remember that this game have also social elements. Maybe that level 50 character was level 150 character's girlfriend... or something.

Anytime I read something like the original quote above, I cannot help (rightly or wrongly) but think that the player has either:

a.) managed to camp for countless hours to get his 'reward' and now is afraid his 'item' will be less 'special' if (God forbid) somebody else has it.

-or-

b.) is a member of some guild that has members stationed in a circle around the spawn point and is unwilling to let loose of their private little money pit.
    I am not either stereotype a or b. I am person stereotype c.
    c) Person who is member of guild. Sometimes, guild is organizing events for its members to static dungeon. Event's goal is not get to that uber boss monster item. It's goal is to create something social and intresting variation to gameplay after countless and booring missions or hunting. Unfortunately, sometimes static dungeon events fails to deliver it's variation to gameplay, because someone is already cleared dungeon and is now camping in boss room (this happened last time when we did our event to SoM).

I don't want that unique items are necessary items for every player. They should be extra ****e in game. I don't want to see game walkthrough guides like this:
    1. Create new character
    2. Kill "unique" monster at coords x1, y1 to get item z1. If you don't kill this monster you can't do ...
    3. Do leveling unitil you are at level. Best leveling plays for you are at coords ....
    4. Kill "unique" monster at coords x2, y2 to get item z2. Now you are ready to go dungeon n1.
    5. Go to the dungeon n1....

More random gameplay. More unique ways to develope your characters. But characters should also be able to survive with standard equipment.

From my previous message
    You could find very good items only once, but you could also sell it. Very good items should have very long respawing time (maybe once in week).

More random loot, respawing rate, positions and boss monster's minions for outdoor monsters. Keep static dungeons as multiteam and multilevel dungeons, there are good and easy place to arrange guild activity.
    2. Have treasure chests randomly spawn at one of 10,000 or so locations scattered around Rubi-Ka. Put something unique in them. Let the player who is willing to search the world for hours on end be rewarded with something for his diligence and patience. I'm serious about this as well.
    Good idea! I would like to see it in game.
    Last edited by Resetgun; Feb 7th, 2002 at 10:47:43.

Oooo i like the idea of the last post. SPAWN NEW DUNGEONS DAMN IT.

dungeon full=new dungeon

yes, just like the stores/shops respawn if there are too many people, so too should the dungeon. That would be AWESOME!!!

(Bump)
    «¤ W¥RM ¤»

Dungeons are SUPPOSED to respawn when they get full. Problem is that they are allowing too many people in. Seems Steps of Madness they are letting upwards of 20 people in at a time. One team is enough in that place 12 people would be fine.

That dungeon can be completed with a team of 4 people lvl60. Letting others in creates the grief.

The mechanics are supposedly there. Just the variables are set all wrong.

Errr... sorry about my bad english, but I think that you have understanded me wrong... my apologizes.

Bionitrous is right dungeons are supposed to respawn when they get full, sometimes it works... sometimes not. I didn't suggest that dungeons should respawn more often, my point was:

When monster is killed in static dungeon it doesn't respawn. Only way to kill monster again is to exit from dungeon and enter to new one.

For example:
    When team kills Neleb in SoM they must 1) retreat (exit) from empty dungeon, 2) re-enter again and 3) kill all monsters between dungeons entrance and Neleb's boss room, before they can try to kill Neleb again.

This way there wouldn't be camping in the boss room (there is no point to camp in empty room, because monsters don't respawn inside dungeon) and I also think that team would really earn they possible loot this way.
    Last edited by Resetgun; Feb 13th, 2002 at 08:30:36.

LvL cap is probably the best idea, it will solve some camping problems, make the good items nodrop, I got a few of them before. but most of all a LvL cap would fix trouble in places that have 25% gas, and high level's griefing..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12