Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speech/Aura spam

Speech/Aura spam

In their current form, Crat Speech and Engie Aura nanoprograms 'pulse' every 20 seconds.

While this sounds good in theory, in reality their implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Not only are they very spammy, they create extra screen and chat lag.

Every 20 seconds you get the following 3 chat messages.

Nanoprogram executed successfully.
    Executing program XXXXX.
    XXXXX will terminate in 10 seconds.

I have a number of suggestions to make these programs a lot less annoying to all players.

1) Set the duration of the programs to 31 seconds and keep the pulse at 20 seconds. That way, you will cut out 1/3 of the messages the caster will see and 1/2 of the messages other players will see.

2) Set the duration to 71 seconds and the pulse to 60 seconds. Even less spam and lag for all.

3) have an option to turn off speech/aura messages.

Please add any other suggestions you might have regarding these nanos.

Here's an even better idea.

Set the duration to 5 minutes, instead of 20 seconds. What possible harm could this do?

It will save us all a lot of annoying chat window spam, and that way players will actually want these buffs cast, and will stop yelling at engineers and crats who cast them.

Thumbs up Yes

*Bump* to this thread; I agree with starknaked though what harm is 5 minutes? However, Miir's suggestion of making Aura chat messages optional to turn off and on is a good one as well.

But either way this issue must be addressed.

Av.

limiting the effects to only members in the same team would help to

Does anybody else agree that 90% of these issues could be fixed if they split the chat window into "speech" and "action" windows where player chat is on the bottom and damage and warnings etc are on the top?

Red face ha lol ,)

yep, indeed ehehhee

/bow

but that smells like middle-age i say ...

we should show some tact when obviously stealin ehehehe ,)
    tradeskillz ?

*bump*

5 minutes sounds good to me. I'm assuming that they are trying to prevent the "create team, cast nano, disband team" tactic like you get for Baton or various Doctor team buffs. But 5 minutes would reduce the spam and it would wear off even before you got to your respective mission sites if you didn't stay together.

Scorus

Agreed

Bump to this. What was FC thinking?
    Due to the extreme caffeine content I only serve Tanzanian Peaberry Coffee imported from Earth.
    4 out of 5 Bureaucrats prefer it over Menthol.

Thumbs up

/bump

I think the spam should just go period, the buff lasts for about 30 minutes or so anyways so why not just do that instead of it fading every 20 seconds. Another "good idea" on paper gone wrong.

Im going to kill any bureaucrat that spams me with godamn annoying NFs.
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

Hey, I'll bring an OT engineer and we'll spam you with our auras Snarf. Granted I'll die in 2 seconds but mission accomplished I say. Charge!

Oh, does negative auras show up in the enemy's running programs list?

Unhappy

btw the eng +ac auras are bugged, if you zone with one active your ac is returned to non-aura buffed levels then it wears off, and it removes the same amount of ac again, so you need the aura running to have your normal base ac again.. Not sure if this is a visual bug or not, but it's annoying, especially as people buff before zonening into missions..
    --Rookie Teh "Wobble" Sux----------------------- AKA-----------------------Pirate "Ninjapirate" Dog--
    -+Legion+-
    WTB ATI T&L fix, h8 D3D.

waiting for current nano-folrmula to accomplish

waiting for current nano-folrmula to accomplish

the auras are deadly.

every 20 seconds a chain healing Doc will not be doing that for at least one nano+casting time - possibly bugging them out of being able to hit that heal button right away again.

Team dead. great aura - glad we had it.

Pulse-Nano's are b00lsh33t. not to sound negative

-Raik Out
    Zack "Raik" Brumble - "Boom Hippie Bye Bye, the Raik is back!"

good ideas... bump
    Photeus - Omni Crat - RK1
    >Rerolled cause RK2 is a graveyard off-peak<

Psychomancer - Omni Crat - RK2

Greythorn - Omni Trader - RK2
    "I normally dislike violence... im just out of stock"

Bump, bump, bump

As both a doc and a crat, I would love to see this change implemented. My crat gets people yelling for me to turn it off, and my doc fails to cast when he needs to occasionally. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal to you peeps at FUncom, but when your doc can't cast, you die.

I personally think #2 (Set the duration to 71 seconds and the pulse to 60 seconds. Even less spam and lag for all) is the most reasonable and would not be difficult at all to code.

I'm not sure I like the 5-30 minute duration suggestion.

If you are not near the eng/crat when the pulse activates, you lose the effect for 5 minutes... Not great when that person out of range is your puller/enforcer.

I like the idea of it being an aura.
    If you increase the duration by too much, you turn it into just another buff.

bingo

This sounds like a winner to me. Unless there is some reason why we have to have the spam, then this should go live as soon as someone has time to change 2 numbers in the resource database.

20 seconds is fine.
    What funcom should do is to remove 'xxxx nano will be terminated in 10 sec', 'xxxx nano terminated' spam and making these auras not interrupting any other casting.
    Thats the real issue, not the timer :P

20 seconds is fine.

I beg to differ.
    3 spam messages in 20 seconds and screen/chat lag is not fine.
    Being requested to not use these nanos in a group is not fine.

What funcom should do is to remove 'xxxx nano will be terminated in 10 sec', 'xxxx nano terminated' spam

Having the duration 11 seconds longer than the pulse will remove the will terminate in 10 seconds message.

making these auras not interrupting any other casting

The way nano casting works would require recoding. This is a lot of work that could be quick fixed by upping the duration.

Thats the real issue, not the timer

Of course, recoding the entire nano system so that auras/speeches are not annoying and spammy to 99% of the players would be the best solution, but I'm being realistic.
    Upping the duration is a quick and easy solution that woul;d require minimal time and effort on behalf of the dev team.

Cosmik? Out there? Anybody looking at this issue?

Scorus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast