Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A letter to the Dev's

Re: Some major flaws in this reasoning.

Originally posted by Miriandel
    My conviction is that fun comes from PvP, because PvP is the only real challenge, and Piikey is a damn good PvPer as it seems.
    Maybe your fun comes from PvP, but mine comes from PvM

I agree entirely with the original post in this thread. People will only stay the course if they are given new and fresh GAME CONTENT. But as a matter of interest, does anyone know why the game is capped at level 200 ? I dont understand it. There is no way on earth AO will last four years at this rate. Funcom's solution of nerfing the power-levellers is idiotic, and will simply upset people and make them leave the game. Is it completely beyond the wit of Nerfcom's programmers to change the 200 cap to 500 or 1000 ?

Who thought up the 200 thing anyway ?
    SIsTeRs.oF.eVIL
    A band of psycho renegade techno-nun disco-enthusiasts, working on the extreme boundaries of respectable behaviour in OMNI INQUISITION.

Content vs. leveling

My char is at level 78 (and since I'm playing an agent, I don't expect to level to 200 ever, let alone quickly). But if I'm not bored now, I don't see why I'd get bored simply because I got to level 200. If I did, I'd probably try a new profession or two.

But although I think levelling isn't the issue, I also think the original post is right on regarding content. For example, I'm completely baffled as to why missions lack even the simplest puzzles -- "find the key", "secret rooms", "secret switches", "decode the message".

I'm not suggesting Funcom resort to these features (the last thing we need is another Doom-find-the-key-to-continue-to-next-part-of-mission game). I'm just pointing out that Funcom didn't even do THAT much, let alone get creative with the missions.

Like how, for instance?

How about in-mission NPCs who have information you need, or are the only ones who can open a passage so you can complete the mission? How about different ways to get that NPC to cooperate? (Bribe with an item that you need to get elsewhere in the mission, charm the NPC, threaten it, fight the NPC until it is nearly dead, etc.)

I'd go on, but it would be a total waste of time and effort. We're talking about a company that created the single most brain-dead system imaginable for balancing NPC vs. player combat. I rank geniuses like these playability designers right up there with people who think an innuendo is an Italian suppository. If they can't even figure out how to generate NPCs that more closely reflect what players have and do at the same level without making them pushovers or too tough to beat, I don't see why anyone would think they'd ever figure out how to add the harder stuff, like the playability features we wish were in the game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12