Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do?

What do you do?

I have always wondered about all you groovy people, what is it that you do all day?

Whenever reading through all the mish mash of threads in this delightful forum, I always hear the random, often dirty comment followed by the obligatory "bored at work @__@" commentary to justify their silliness.

So I have to ask what is this work that you speak of and how can it be so boring that you are able to click, click, click away at the AO forums without any remorse for your lack of productivity?

There seems to be a fair number of rl engineers hanging around these here parts? What exactly does an engineers do all day? I have envisioned a mad scientist tinkering away to built his ultimate creation: either a time machine or a talking vacuum that slices and dices your cucumbers
    Or do you guys crunch numbers to sort through yards of ticker tape to find the exact coord of something somewhere. Then when you finally find the precise numbers you enter it into your magical HAL 9000 holographic computer thingamajig, causing it to spew and ream of ticker tape, requiring even more calculations/
    Or do you work on some top secret, hush, hush blacks ops project, and you spend your days and nights creating the tiggest ol bitty bomb to end all of existence if given the go ahead to push the big red button

Now moving onto all those NT computer wizards. What exactly do you do? Do type away on your computers to create the super mega code, uncrackable by even the HAL 9000 computers that those engie's have? Or are you programming a wicked virus to steal all the worlds money, making you wealthier than Bill Gates?
    Or are you too frazzled on coffee to even know what you are doing?

How about those military men and women? Do you spend your days perfecting your iron physique? Can you Rawr! and flex your mighty biceps and crush wee mortals like me? Do you practice your markmanship, allowing you to shoot a tiny target mile away blindfolded? Or are you stationed on a deserted island in the South Pacific, allowing you frolic on the beaches and sip pina coladas. Or perhaps, you are working with those crazy engies on a project to end all of existence.

Or how about the non-descript office job? Do you sit in your cubicle attempting to avoid any form of work? Do you have your own pointy-haired boss who spews out non-sensical jargon?
    "Bob, i need to have a proactive dialogue with you in an attempt to decentralize our NE assets to allow a fundamental paradigm shift in our core business practices"
    Do you get to cook the books, adding a few zeros here and there to the profit and revenue balances?
    Do you have a corner office with a crazy secretary, who'll sabotage your every effort to make it to a meeting on time?

Or are all my job descriptions purely an idealized view of work from a silly child?

wow Lola...I wonder what it is that you do all day that gives you the time to make this stuff up.

I don't really spend much time on anything in particular. I'm way to hyperactive for any sort of extended streams of coherent concentration. My imagination runs a bit too wild at times. I sorta flit around from tangent to tangent. When i have access to a computer, usually beween classes or while doing homework, i'll whip up a quick post in a stream of consciousness. This post was inspired by my pondering of TheDeacon. In his post about his wife's addiction to The Sims, he mentioned that he worked with his wife. I was kinda curious what exactly he did with his wife [besides sucking her toes]

Well, I work. I currently drive for a living, but would love to get back into radio
    In lieu of a better signature, this'll have to do

Im a student... Other then that my life is AO... its kindof sad really... someone help me find something better to do.

Re: What do you do?

Originally posted by Lola
    Do you have a corner office with a crazy secretary, who'll sabotage your every effort to make it to a meeting on time?
    lol, that sounds exaclty like my secretary, thought since I dont like meetings, I am not going to start complaining now

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

School, where I am sabatoged by an idiot who has no idea how to do a project.
    Do you know where the word "sabotage" came from? It's an interesting story for 30 seconds.

sounds like my kind of person. Maybe if you tell him to go away or you will shave his whole body then maybe he will leave you alone

thats what I would do...

I'd have to go with the coffee one...
    Randa "Lesentia" Forejt

Whisper's Edge

"Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill..."
    -Cypher, The Matrix

I am a bloody taxman

I think I've said enough... And NO I don't want to talk about it

Im in QA.

Sometimes I find myself acting as I do at the office while playing. All these bugs I tell you. If the company I work for released software with half the bugs, our customers would run...very far.
    Garret "Necc" Scheer press officer of Desert Winds (MSAS)

Karma, the world's true equalizer.

Free Rubi-Ka!

Well all though it seems like I shave people's bodies completely bare... I really dont... all though that would be funy to video tape..
    maybe Ill go home today and try that.

Originally posted by SilverSmoke
    I am a bloody taxman

I think I've said enough... And NO I don't want to talk about it
    Ack! A crat! Dont mezz my pets!

oh and im an student.
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

jobs..

I am the everyman. I am alll things to all people.

What do you think I am?

• A high school history teacher.
    • An unemployed computer nerd.
    • An employed computer nerd
    • A professional AO player flogging stuff on Ebay to meet the bills
    • The son of a reclusive billionaire, who wastes daddy's money with these "stupid games".
    • Employed by the SAS to form strategy for potential military actions, such as Afganistan, the invasion and subsequent erradication of Iraq, etc.
    • A 12 year old boy who got expelled from school for disruptive behaviour.
    • A management consultant involved in combing eastern Europe for residential broadband managers with the intention of selling them stuff.
    • A house husband, livingg off my beautiful wife's fortune nd pretending to look after the kids while I really just let the staff do all the work.
    • A bored alien tasked with making first contact with you people.
    • A receptionist for an advertissing company, who has free time because everyone's too busy getting the christmas campagns sorteed to have visitors.
    • A prisoner in a low security prison where I am currently serving a 5 year term for coputer fraud. Of £10 million which has yet to be recovered... Oh the irony.
    • PA to the CEO for a large bank in London, who does no work, thus not generating anything for me to do.
    • None of the above.

Well? Well? Well?
    Please allow me to introduce you to the voices:

The voices, the voices! Stop the voices!

The voices are played by, in order of appearance:

Gragoneye - loveable, hugable, with a fondness for violence!
    Servivious - bitter, twisted and a little unhinged..
    Blindhealer - just a little bit out of her depth!

Proud to be First Order!!

um number 7 oh crap is it number 10? omg im so confused.. Thanks alot!

I sit in a cube, on the phone, all day, and sell servers, networks, PCs to "medium and large business". I actually do have a hairy boss who talks about quotas and margin and close rates all day.

I wouldnt say your vision of work is too idealized, the way you put it, it actually sounds kinda crappy. I'd say your view of work is more drab than idealized I think work is about 40% actual work, 50% socializing, and 10% smoke breaks So I guess those that dont smoke use that 10% to post on the forums.

I'm a bartender and I do graphic design and fantasy illustration from time to time.

I usually work about 3 days per week, and 2 of those days are always Friday and Saturday. If I'm reading, posting, or playing I'm definitely not at work :P
    -=STRATAH=-

TFC coup co-conspirator
    Member of The Mocker's Naked, Co-ed, Full contact, Drunken, Synchronized Blitzing Team

-=The Mockers=-

Anytime I'm online or posting on the forums I'm either on lunch from my overnight job slinging boxes around, or I'm home for the day, just goofing off till I'm relaxed enought to sleep.
    Ya think after 3 1/2 years of night work sleeping in the day would be easier hehe.
    Garishna Dual pistol slinging adventurer without a clue.

You ppl are lucky to have legit jobs, and always remember that. I frigging sell marijuana and warez and other pirated or stolen things.

It's not fun. I want a secretary and a desk.
    Pfft, the GMs and ARKs aren't rid of me yet! Back for a third round, in this corner, we have Vamp. Weighing in at a buck-fiddy and lovin' all the bitties.

Donations to the "Why Did Vamp Give All His Gearz Away" fund are now being accepted. Either that, or a friendly hello.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast