Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argghhhh Pick A New Patch Time Already!

Not that bad...

Ok I will admit I am rather new here and the patching does get on my nerves a bit but then I think. I remember playing UO when at midnight the servers stopped saving and servers went down EVERY DAY! *gasp* I remember EQ where bugs would run rampant until there were thousands of petitions and more then enough data gathered to prove its existence. My friend tried AO and dropped it 3 days later because it was an unplayable mess, I picked it up because I had read about all the work they have done and are still working on. Patch notes would be nice, a regulated time? ok think about this next time theres a bug that makes it a lot easier for you to die think about the fact that patch day is just 1 week away or 8 hrs away instead of the moment it was noticed to be fixed. This game has 20 times the personality of UO or EQ, it has great teamplay missions where you literally will always be able to do something. Try spending an hr looking for a group then getting one and waiting for a five hour patch. Better yet think about UO in its early days when the server went down around the time you should have been asleep anyway!!! I wont lie I stay up to 4 am on this game fairly often but I appreciate that they are working on constantly improving things. Yes I know they are not always thing that are needed but would you rather get four patches in one week with only 1 useful fix or 1 patch a month with no useful fixes because thats the dif between EQ and AO.

Originally posted by Rubel
    Some people in this thread seem to think that the patch times depend on the norwegian workday... however, to the best of my knowledge all AO servers are located in the US. So it's not only a time of day with few players online, it's also in the middle of the workday of the people that do the actual patching.
    Well, they're located in the us, but the devs, who make the software, have designed the database architecture, check that the new server version works as intended and have to fix it if something goes wrong are in the norway.
    And they probably take care of most of the server administration remotely anyway.

Originally posted by MORB

Well, they're located in the us, but the devs, who make the software, have designed the database architecture, check that the new server version works as intended and have to fix it if something goes wrong are in the norway.
    And they probably take care of most of the server administration remotely anyway.
    as I understand it from a friend who works as a network administrator type bod, as long as you have someone in the room with the servers who can physically reboot the damn things incase something goes wrong, it doesnt really matter where in the world most of the people doing the up date are, so I would guess MORB has hit the nail on the head with this one.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Re: Same here

Originally posted by Ztatic
    It seems that whenever I have a day of from work (I'm a nurse so I work all kinds of strange hours, including weekends) there is a 3-5 hour patch and I lose an entire day of valuable gaming time. Not everyone works 9-5.
    Just for reference I'm in the US. Now I have been playing long enough for this to affect me in AO but you want to know something funny? When I played EQ it seemed like every single time I decided to take a "sick day" to play my cure(heh) they'd a) be patching and b) taking twice as long as usual.

It got so bad I was half convinced that they had someone watching me.

StealthyEQGuy: "Okay, he took the day off, he looks like he's suffering from withdrawal symtoms and he's crawling towards his computer! Quick! Patch! Patch! Patch! Go!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12