Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Friends :)

Smile Goodbye Friends :)

I have decided to leave AO and just wanted to say bye to all the people I didn’t have a chance to in person and thanks to all the people out there who make this game so fun to play. I am not leaving because anything is “wrong” with the game, in fact I love it, but because of what this game has become for me. Funcom has created this wonderful “fake world” where you can have exciting adventures, own items, etc. with no risk to yourself personally. The problem is, at least in my case, they did too good of a job. I have played this game since about 2 weeks after it came out and at first it was just a casual thing that I played for fun, but soon I found myself playing more and more to the point where it has affected my personal life for a long time now. I found myself neglecting my responsibilities, family, and college. So about a couple months ago I decided that I would stop playing. Well about 2 weeks after I decided that I logged on to just say “hi” to people but soon I was playing just as much as before. It then became apparent to me that this was an addiction and the reason why became very clear. Just like any alcohol or drug addict I was using this game as an escape from all the problems of real life. In this game there are no car payments, no hassles from work, no credit card bills piling up, no family problems, etc. It can even numb the pain of things from your past, letting you get absorbed in where you don’t have to think about those things. You can run around relatively free to do your hearts content, and in there lies the problem. The real world is not like that. In the real world when you fall it hurts and when you mess up there are consequences. This game doesn’t make all the problems of life any easier, it just puts them off so they can pile up. Your mind sees all those problems and would rather avoid them than deal with them so the cycle continues. I had thought about that for a long time and why I would do that to myself, yet I continued to play knowing full well it was unhealthy. I guess somewhere along the line I reached that point in life where you take stock of all the good and bad parts of yourself, on that mental list this was one of the bad ones. I knew as long I continued this cycle of “escaping” into things instead of dealing with problems head on, there was no way for me to accomplish anything meaningful in life in the long run. So it took me a couple more weeks of me thinking “I'm quitting” and then making some excuse up in my head or thinking “I can just play a little bit” (classic for any addiction), but I was finally able to drag the will power out of somewhere and took steps in game and in real life to make sure there would be no temptation for me to ever return. This whole thing has forced me to see my own limitations so I have made the decision to never play any online games ever again. It is time for me to live my life and make my own adventures and I have started doing some things that I have always wanted to do. I am starting to get in better shape, trying to teach myself to play guitar, and am even thinking of getting into boxing as a hobby.
    Well that’s enough of my ramblings. Draw your own conclusions from what I wrote but I am hoping some people can learn from my experiences with this. It wasn’t meant to be preachy but I know there are a lot of people out there who have the same problems as I do, so if it gets people thinking I'm happy. I also just wanted to say that most of the people I have met in this game are good people and I wish you all blessing for your families and the best of luck in life. Goodbye my friends I will miss you all
    - lvl 200 neutral agent -

See yer Lore.

The only truely neutral agent.

Good luck in the real world.

Wilfred "Destractor" Keppler
    Last edited by Destractor; Dec 14th, 2002 at 19:18:13.

Goodbye.

There is alot of truth in what you wrote. I'm glad you had the guts to make the plunge out into the real world

215/15 | Lagerlad Atrox Adventurer | eqp | Mostly indestructible
    214/13 | Xpie Atrox Meta-physicist | eqp | Supernova!
    Member of Ragnarok

Lore...Im glad your doing the right thing bud. Good Luck to you in everything you do. Bye leaving you show you have the strength to better yourself, so in the end..youll be fine.

Because Medicali doesnt visit the forums Ill give her good bye for her..and let her know you are gone..shell miss you bud.

Boci-The Original Fatbodied Soldier
    The Sammich Master is Back!
    Boci - Retired Soldier
    Flashgordun - Smurf in Training
    Mussashi---Boci Reborn---Sword Saint
    xxxxxxxx Keeper Twink of Dewm

Doh

Vergil : OT NT : Dept of Applied Nanotechnology
    Jobe Plaza
    Retired NT Professional
    Proud Owner of RubiKa's Biggest Banjo Collection
    Server First!

*dies for a little punctuation, paragraph parsing.. please*

hehe

no really you're right.. the game is amazing, like a drug. like tv to a 2 year old.

i wish you well, like dovve.. we will miss j00.

goodluck ^_^

well i already knew it, we talked i cant say i didnt try to stop you lol ,... keep in touch thou Lore ! dont forget to visit atleast IR forums

goodluck in your life you made the right thing and i am doing the wrong thing =\
    (Original) lvl 200 Neutral -Soldier-
    Lance"Jovilen" Scheer

That's cool, man. Good luck.

For me, though- I save all kinds of cash with AO. Talk about a cheap hobby.

Hell, I'll bet I've saved $1000 this year in missed meals alone. And I lost weight, too!

Win/win!
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

What you say it true. Games like this can act like a cork to fill holes in your bucket of life. I wish you all the best in the fresh air.

It was a true honor having you in the guild. I only wish I could have been beside you on the ride up.

/salute

Maybe we need an addicts message board.
    I wish I had the strength to leave, but i'm too addicted.

Hugs.. Will miss you Lore...

We had some grand adventures and you were very much a part of a lot of our lives spent on Rubi-Ka, Borealis to be exact.

Wish you all the best in the world and it was truly an honor to know you..

Farewell and good luck in whatever you do...
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

Ok, i'll say it.

CAN I HAVE UR STUFF?

(just kidding)

There is a gigantic monitor out there, and without keyboard and mouse the controls are so much easier

Take care Lore. Thanks for your time with us, and the best of luck in all your future undertakings.
    Marcos "Yarko" Orender
    co-Minister of Foreign Affairs, Newland City Council
    Advisor of The Independent Rubikans

Rubi-Ka's neutral news source: The Independent Rubikan http://www.ir-news.org/

Good Luck

Good bye Lore, I will miss seeing you about Borealis

Best of luck with your future endeavors in the real world.

*hugs*

-Elli
    Ellipsana neutral adv
    Board Member of Neutral Underground Trade Syndicate

Elspeth clan adv

Words of wisdom...

For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
    He who hesitates is probably right.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.

Well, i would say, see you in SWG, AC2, yadda yadda yadda, but if your stopping online games, that wouldnt make too much sense, its like offering heroin to a crack addict who is finally going straight, anyways.. I wish you the best of luck IRL, boxing is fun, ive tried it a little bit, and guitars are cool.

Something that I think you may like, Karate, or forms of martial arts. One of the key aspects of martial arts is meditation, where you escape your every day bothers, but in turn, are strengthened to face them when you finally do.

I never got a chance to meet you that well, only a few times on my friends chars, but if i did, im sure you were a great person.

See-yah later lore,

Jerrakean - lvl 140 Trox Enforcer

Thank you for everytime you've helped me when I need a little buff.

Take care and enjoy seeing the sun again.
    ~Streaz~
    "Self Proclaimed Fixer God since Jan 2002"

Note: This account was stolen from me by someone I thought I could trust. I didn't realize what was going on untill someone from my guild contacted me and let me know what was happening. Funcom was gracious enough to give the account back to me, the original owner, but the account is deactivated for the time being and my main concern was just getting it out of the hands of an unsavory character. Sorry for the drama.

-Streaz

Goodbye

I wish you good luck Lore. It was nice meeting you and I'm glad you took action against your addiction.

Safe travels!

good bye Lore,and thx for some wize words!!
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

yea as bion said, was an honour having you in our guild and is gonna be real sad to see you go man (man words are hard to say...).

but am happy for you man, youve realised this is just a game, its all meaningless as the life youve been neglecting is far more important.

p.s -- one of the greatest guys ave ever known in this game, NEVER used to say no (and i mean that) whenever u needed help.

a great guy gone,

one of the greatest guys ave ever known in this game, NEVER used to say no (and i mean that) whenever u needed help.

a great guy gone
    I can't think of a way to say it better............

Being one of the first Neutrals to lvl200, you were an inspiration to us all(myself included) to show that it CAN be done. Besides being a GREAT guy, your actions ingame always upheld the highest standards of honor, dignity, honesty, and loyalty.

The world needs more people like you, Lore........both the real world, and this imagined one. And wherever your life takes you, I'll be beside you in spirit cheering you on. Take care, my friend.
    Nealandbob Headbasher Burninsword-RK1
    Deathfyst Tonofbricks -RK2
    Tonofbricks Nealandbob -RK Test embracing my inner Brat
    Finally back from Iraq
    Enforcers ONLY vote here!
    WoW-Pahani, Skywall/Horde and Barthilas/Horde
    "A good Enforcer dies a lot"-Deng
    "FC didn't create Enforcers, Deng did" -Tza

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast