Thread: Character advancement....

Character advancement....

Nerf levels and nerf XP. With a "level" system, you create the illusion of a beginning and an end in something that isn't supposed to have either. Characters start at level 1 and are finished (in terms of advancement) at level 200. A friend of mine once said to me "You never stop learning until 15 minutes after you're dead". When I reach level 200, my character dies as I cannot learn anything more. Upping the level cap will only make that process appear more drawn out than it already is.

Let whatever used to give XP give IP instead and let mission tokens be worth 1 IPR point per physical token.

Remove the skill / breed caps and let people put IP where they want to when they want to. You want to talk cookie-cutter...this skill system is very cookie-cutter. If it were a system where a character could spend points in whatever skills they like whenever they like, the specialization possibilities are endless. As it stands, everyone has set of caps that they hit and thus everyone has the same general abiliities.

Remove all of the level requirements on ANYTHING that has one and lets go back to a skill-based game.

Let the profession choice determine the nanos in your library and the cost of improving skills.

Let the breed choice determine the cost of improving your base abilities.

Got coffee?
    .: Naraya :.

^^

Not only that, It would be nice if the devs could give us something else to do after lvl 100, anything other than doing BS missions untill lvl 200....I mean gee.....ever tryed expanding static dungeons...maybe do some worthwile quests OTHER THAN something that involvs camping a spawn for houers.....

You have a good game and a good engine to run BETTER things than the ones I see in it right now....Notum wars was a good add but what happens to the players that disslike pvp......?

.......Prolly doing missions in BS untill lvl 200 .....if they stay that long that is, Im lvl 120 now.....and the BS thing is getting a bit...lets say dull?

You want a good improvemnt to this game that prolly will get more players to start playing this game?

Please oh please make us do something on ouer OWN, this game is to much dependant on "team" and other professions. You can have a perfect char and still can't do squat.....

Cheers
    Kell

And remove professions, maybe?
    Let everyone cast every nano?
    Sihirbaz original level 200 NT of Die Neue Welt
    Proud member of Black Thorns

Major bumpage. Read this post funcom!!
    Celebrant Freshman since July 2001, where he'll stay indefinitely.
    Idoloclast Freshman since October 2003, where he'll stay indefinitely.
    Blowfish Tradeskill gimp, designed to be a credit mule. setup
    Greed Name carry-over from Atlantic shard of Ultima Online, where he was a champion duelist.
    Unfathomable On hold.
    Implacable On hold.
    Flowbish On hold.

Account Created 2001-06-28 05:43:08

Proud? player of cAmparchy Online

Lightbulb BUMP!!!! PS..... read on

Skill based is the way to go.... everyone should be able to pick up ANY weapon. Just not be able to use it as effective as a certain prof would be able to.... Leve REQ's suck.... FC, all you did was listen to all the cry babies who couldn't hack it. Heck.... I can't stand getting ganked.... but... what's the point if everyone is the same.... its just damn boring.... You know LOTS of people are leaving AO... and that is sad. AO has the most Potential of ANY of the MMORPG's out there..... Work on it FC... your our only hope....

Re: Character advancement....

Originally posted by Naraya

Remove the skill / breed caps and let people put IP where they want to when they want to. You want to talk cookie-cutter...this skill system is very cookie-cutter. If it were a system where a character could spend points in whatever skills they like whenever they like, the specialization possibilities are endless. As it stands, everyone has set of caps that they hit and thus everyone has the same general abiliities.
    Exactly because "the specialization possibilities are endless" maintaining game balance would be almost impossible. You would have situations in which people would dump all their IPs into a weapon skill for example in order to equip a very high level weapon and deal instant death to opponents. Sure, their evades will suck but when the mobs are dying before they even know what hit them (because they were designed to challenge someone using a QL 10 weapon, not a QL 50 one) you don't need evades.

Remove all of the level requirements on ANYTHING that has one and lets go back to a skill-based game.
    The level-based limits are in place to control twinking.

If you want to see how twinking (well ok, twinking and a group od developers that treats players with contempt) can ruin a perfectly good game check out Everquest.

Do you people have any idea what your asking?

It kills me how many people on these boards just throw out there ideas and expect to get a "Hey, that sounds great, we'll have it ready in a week!"

Think about what your suggesting.

In this thread you are talking about almost an ENTIRE re-write of ALL of the mathmatical systems in place and the re-thinking of all the design mechanics.

It took the team making this game 3 years to get what they have now.

There is no way possible that they could make your idea a reality, even if they wanted to.

It would take an entirely new team another 2 years to make the changes you have suggested. And in reality what you have suggested is an entirely new game.

I'm not criticizing your idea's, but you have to be realistic with what you believe this team of developers can actually do with the time and money they have.