Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few words on the AO story

Well, something I've noticed:

If you're an OT character talking to a random Clan character, and you're being "very Omni-ish" and confrontational... most of us, particularly those who don't actually know you, will just sigh, roll our eyes, and go back to what we were doing.

The people who do reply more than half-heartedly will be the ubah leet dewdz whose adolescence doesn't allow them to 'shrug it off' and therefore feel a need to refute anything that isn't a paen to their superiority.

And the reason is simple: From release until the Sentinels took over Tir, Omni players could safely grid in to Tir - and the Tir grid square was our biggest gathering place for finding teams, buffs, and trade skills. These Omnis often proceeded to spam in vicinity or on shout about how the Clans all suck. It wasn't uncommon; in fact it probably happened on a daily basis.

We ended up just being conditioned to tune it out.

Finally, Re: Greenies. I guess that's just life. The biggest "stealth nerf" in the game is that there's pretty much no "reason" - no advantage - to being Clan as opposed to being Omni. It continues to this date, whatever Kithrak might think about Clanners being the favored children of Funcom.

Just take a look at the Land Control map and reference it with the Grid exit and Whompa maps, and then try to tell me that Funcom favors the Clans.
    Last edited by Jynne; Dec 16th, 2002 at 16:48:32.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Yes, FC does favor the Omni IMO. Jynne pointed out several reasons. Now I do expect Clan to be the underdogs. We should be since we are the rebels...but it would be nice to give the Clan some sort of advantage perhaps something like a stealth boous to eveade those Omni patrols.

As for the greenies...well..it would be nice to have more of them around. Surely there is enough material on these forums that FC could run with.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Re: A few words on the AO story

Originally posted by JHÞ
    May you live in interesting times
    I dont know, you come on these boards and your first action is to curse us all

hugs, and thankyou for the info, cant wait to see how it turns out

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Well, that is because clan was supposed to have its own unique advantages. They were the original reason I joined the clans. I wanted to have the skill advantage rather than the equipment advantage.

Unfortunately omni got the advantages, and the equipment advantage is slowly being given to clan to balance out the fact that they never did the clan advantage.

Putting in the clan advantage and making both sides unique would go a long ways to giving each side a unique "feel". Tis' time for clan advantage.
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

OOC: Oooh, this I can't resist. Now tossing enormous boulder into troubled waters:

What about neuts? We're the ones who REALLY get shafted in this 'ere game of ours.

We get attacked by either Clan or Omni mobs almost anywhere we go outside Borealis or NLC.

Greenies? Oh, I've seen Chab in Borealis a few times, I'll admit, but for us they are a rare sight indeed. (Chab=Xitique, or something. Chab's easier to get right)

Equipment? Anyone notice how Omni's are LOADED with armor only they get to use? Less so for clans, but they're gaining fast with CAS armor etc. Neuts? ICC skinchip and a ring noone seems to be able to get, that I've heard. Oh, and we get to share the Universal crat suit.

Until neuts get something to leverage Token Boards, huge playfields safe from roaming aggro supermobs (Bliss is lethal to lowbies, Athen is a gamble, 4 Holes deadly, and 2HO not much better, Tir County is closed for basically any neut) I really don't see good cause for you all to complain so bitterly about the other side getting the goodies.

Look at the neuts, have a laugh, and feel better about yourself as you realize that yes, someone does have it worse than you.
    This is only my opinion of course, but I'm entitled to it.

BattleFalcon, Unit Commander of Desert Winds
    Bandasje, first ever neutral TL6 doctor, any server.

" but they're gaining fast with CAS armor etc."

I'm sorry my friend, but the Clans have no armor just for them. Unless you count the Dodga Pads. CAS armor can be worn by anyone, even Omni much to my dismay.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

./me giggles

CAS armor being worn by Omni....that is kinda funny..if you think of CAS's history. Heck, CAS armor being worn by half the Clans is kinda funny...when you think about it.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Well Vix it just goes to show who's, in your words, "2D."

On the other hand, the other day I think I saw an Omni-Pol member wearing elite... with a CAS helmet.

And I didn't even mention the distribution of good hunting grounds and outdoor camps, or the locations of most of the dungeons (excepting Lagalot), as being pro-Omni either
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Good to know the story is still going. I look forward to seeing some of these new groups coming into play.

Benj-> isn't sentinal armour for clans only? (or maybe it is only for those who have the sentinals views of the war)

I can't say I have seen many greenies for the last 3 months, but then I don't expect to sinse Borrealis is a quiet little town. Apart from Chab sporting a new lampshade.

RPing does seem to mulitply a lot once things start to happen, I seem to remember a lot of people, myself included, who did not RP often getting involved when the whole Yixxil thing started.

I do believe that once a story starts to really involve people a lot of people will really get into it.

As for the clans, I think one of the main problems is a lack of social buildings Omni have Rompa and, to a lesser extent, baboons. Neutrals have reets, and to a lesser extent neuts are us. (well everyone has the, but they are in neutral areas). Clans have the Cup and strange little areas, but no real main building.

I am looking forward to something to happen, until then I will try to keep out of the action.

?

Actually I have not yet seen a peice of the Sentinels armor other than people wearing it. I dont know what the requirements are. I imagine that it is probably for Clan only. I had not even remembered that armor was in the game. I will be sure to check now that you have brought it up. But Omni have had many Omni only items for a very long time. Only recently have the clans begun to receive items for themselves only.

Well it's only logical. Omni-Tek is the huge corporation with loads of scientists working on developing armour, guns and new tech on all fronts while you are the clans.. the rebels. You started with nothing, and should therefore have less than Omnis. You're starting to developing your own armour now.. slowly.

IMNSHO It's all as it should be.
    President Anisha "Trisagiona" Kenley of the Desert Winds

"Here is the price of freedom:
    Your every drop of courage,
    ounce of pain, pint of blood.
    Paid in advance."

hey

"Player actions, events and web material are an ongoing element in the development of the story"

i am wondering how you will all the people that used to play MAs as their main characters and have recently quit due to nerfs and switched, and just as many of them have cancelled their accounts, be worked into the story line and the upcoming developments and additions to AO.

afterall, cancelling accounts and quiting lvl 200 or near 200 characters is the biggest player action you'll get in AO performed by any players, and collectively will have the biggest of all impacts on all of Rubi-Ka.

o, BTW, i forgot to add, on behalf of myself and MANY MANY MANY ex-MAs: we are currently investigating the possibilities of reopening our accounts, although we cant promise anything definite or anything at all. if we determine that there is a problem we might investigate it further.
    Last edited by Hollowbyte; Dec 29th, 2002 at 05:35:33.

I am pleased to see that hte story line has not been forgotten by Fucom tp. Its good to see that someone from the Dev side is keeping up with the players .
    And i agree that yopu dont need defectors to start rping .If your
    org is an rp or partially a rp guild then someone can start the rp prcoess wether its begins with rp story on the boards to ic roleplaying.

i am wondering how you will all the people that used to play MAs as their main characters and have recently quit due to nerfs and switched, and just as many of them have cancelled their accounts, be worked into the story line and the upcoming developments and additions to AO.

afterall, cancelling accounts and quiting lvl 200 or near 200 characters is the biggest player action you'll get in AO performed by any players, and collectively will have the biggest of all impacts on all of Rubi-Ka.

o, BTW, i forgot to add, on behalf of myself and MANY MANY MANY ex-MAs: we are currently investigating the possibilities of reopening our accounts, although we cant promise anything definite or anything at all. if we determine that there is a problem we might investigate it further.
    LOL!!! That is probably the funniest most unrelated and pointless rambling I've read so far. Glad to see the "Ex-MAs'" public relations officer showed up. Hehe

As far as something related to this topic goes, I honestly hadn't lost faith in the story. Its never been something I've thought to be dead, because its expected with a storyline so long that there will be points when it simmers down. There's plenty of "small-scale" story if you look for it -- greenie action.
    Aaron Simons Harkonnen

Hey Harkonnen, No Greenies Clan Side. That was my Major gripe in this thread.

There are several Clan greenies I've come across when playing on both dimensions.
    Aaron Simons Harkonnen

very new so excuse me if im wrong...

But thus far I have been overall impressed with the roleplay in this game. I have come from a long line of diablo, diabloII, ultima, everquest, and even ancient MUD's for those that remember them, RPG's... and I have experience the best roleplay here in AO over any online game so far (well, not including the muds really jus cuz all they were was text anyway requiring a lil more char play) I just wanted to put in a couple of cents being new and what I have observed....

When i came to this game i thought of clanners as the "good" guys and Omni, being big business, must be the "bad"... I also took into account the storyline as far as I could understand it and had to accept the rational truth that if the game was in anyway true to the story the benefits are really gonna be more evident to the richer of the two...
    Well it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a business is gonna be alot richer than some rebel factions that aren't supposed to really agree on everything... So I would think it goes without saying that Omni would recieve more benefits than Clan. NOW WAIT A SECOND! I kno that sounds really biased being this is a game and should have alot of equal oppurtunity, but fact is if you read along and think logically it would make sense to see more benefits available to Omni as opposed to clan. Thus my first characters as I have learned the game have been Omni. I mean even Omni gives you a shirt to start off with... Not much of a starter gift mind you, but a hint that if you join them oppurtunity is bound to be higher, or maybe a bribe to that affect. Nonetheless I just wanted to say that as an Omni it would make sense to recieve more benefits as you play the game in the start just because they have more to offer money wise, if it wasnt that way then why would they be in control??? Sure sure funcom is responsible for all its players and should open oppurtunities for all factions of the game, but fact is clans are on the low end of the totem when it comes to certain things I mean the screenshots of the apartments ive seen that clanners have even look more shabby than that of the omni apartments. Which again would just make sense. You dont join the rebels for the sake of the monatary benefits... You do it for the glory... THAT is the roleplay intended and if you think they dont offer enough benefits to be a rebel then simply dont rebel. The fact is as a clanner your play within the game is very important, but not likely to be heard as loudly... forget that funcom has something to do with that and realize the GAME has more to do with that, than any opinion. I mean how real would it be for the devil to have access to an air conditioner? would kinna take the burn outta hell...

Bottom line, I plan on one day making clan char's as well just to experience a fuller affect of the game. But all in all I imagine that the roleplay for clanners will differ and vary greatly from that of the omni's as it should. And finally I want to point out with all that in mind I chose to start Omni due to this line of thinking... Learn with those that will teach you... then take what you learned and use it towards your desires... Is that not just a fact of living?
    so you thought i might know something? well they don't pay me enough to "know" anything

Who's been aroung long enough

Looks like most of you haven't been around since the early days of AO.

Omni was supposed to have a monetary & gear advantage over the clans. This got implemented at the beginning.

Clan was supposed to get org advantages for skills.

Unfortunately its just another one on the list of broken promises.

Instead they've given the org skill advantages to everyone in NW. Though Omni gear advantage is slowly being erroded away and even surpassed with new clan gear (Ahem, Tir ring quest for example). I expect they'll have to do something about the monetary advantage if they don't want to give Omni a severe unfair advantage in building towers over the long term.

Why can't you keep your original promise FC and make both sides unique with their advantages?
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

Originally posted by Aaron 'Simons' Harkonnen
    There are several Clan greenies I've come across when playing on both dimensions.
    And how many within the last 3 months or so?

I think the amount of "greenies" may be different on each server. I have bene playing on Rimor now, and notice a TON of clan and neutral greenies, but hardly any Omni ones. WHen I played on the other server, it was the other way around. It could be because there is a larger demand on RK 2 for clan RP'ers and more demand on RK 1 for Omni....meaning higher ratio of RP'ers on such and such side.

I dunno. Just making a guess, but from what I see, clan rules Rimor, and omni rules Atlantian...as far as greenies are concerned anyway.
    AO is not just about pvp, or Rp or power lvling. It is about whatever the players choose to bring to it. Don't make it personal against one of these groups because you feel nerfed by the game company.

Atlantian: "Jesska Rhees" - lvl 153 Crat - retired
    Rimor: Krazee "Lilyflie" Madness - lvl 103 ENF - semi around again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast