Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few words on the AO story

Unhappy Neutrals are screwed

I'm glad someone has said that we still have an impact on the storyline, although I have yet to see where it has happened. [Yes I am a new player =) ]

Also I would like to see more advantages given to Neutrals, or at least give them more purpose in the story line other than not being there or not wanting anything to do with the politics.

We are stuck in the middle of a war that we dont want, so why not give us a story line to follow or make a new side in this story based out of the neutral population being sick of the constant wars that we dont want or need. =)

I chose neutral because I dont like being part of a big corperation, and I dont like the way the clan side of the story is heading. I mean come on, TIR is taken over by the Sentinals and the leader is a fanatic that is executing any and everyone on sight that doesn't agree with his cause!

I also chose neutral because of the fact that I could go anywhere on Rubi-Ka relativly unbothered by either side, not anymore, now I have to RUN to Athen because I get DOA'd in TIR. Plus at the time I wasn't to familar with the story line, but I've learned a lot and still am learning a lot about it. I still dont like either side. =)

I did like the Clan side of the struggle when I played about 3 months ago [had to stop =( ]. But now I'm back and I cant get enough of the game. I just dont like what has happened in TIR. I think it sux! Bad!

Give us Neutrals something to do other than being stuck in the middle. Or at least give us another side to choose from. =)

Ok, I never really voiced my oppinion on this before, but I mean come on. You chose Neutral to stay out of the conflict. The whole game is about the Omni/Clan conflict. If not the Omni/Clan war the game would not exist. So you expect Funcom to go and shoot off creating a whole new storyline just for Neutrals, when the WHOLE GAME is based on the Clan/Omni conflict. Am I the only one that sees something odd there?

Circle G a Neutral guild has become good at making their own story line. They were even involved with some Omni a while back, to help them find someone. So if you want to be Neutral dont expect to get a lot of story in a game that is based on a Clan/Omni conflict. Choose a side and you will have plenty to do, but the name Neutral says you are "not involved". So do as I and many others have done, and make your own story.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Neutral

LOL, yes I know it is odd. But that is what I think would inhance the storyline. Just something that I would like to see happen. I just want another side in this war, one that has a better purpose than money or tyranny in the name of freedom. =)

I just want the players to have more control over the storyline. I dont like where it has headed for the Clan side of the conflict, and I have never liked the Omni side just because I dont like being just another cog in the wheel of a big corperation.

I love the game, and it has a great storyline dont get me wrong, but when I go to choose a side, I dont want to be part of either. So for now I have just chosen to be neutral. =)

When you say that Circle G has become good at making thier own story line what do you mean? I know it must not be an offical story otherwise I prolly would have read about it. And can you give me any tips on making my own story? =)

Also, I have yet to see how any guild or players have made an impact on the AO story line. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I would love to see it.

I would love to make some impact on the story of Rubi-Ka, but I just dont see how. Maybe its just cause I've chosen the neutral side, but I haven't heard anyone talking about it from either the clan, omni or anyone else. Any tips?

No thank you.

Please do not attempt to drag me into a war I decided not to have a part in. If I wanted to fight in the war I would have picked a side, I didn't. I'm neutral because none of the factions seems to give a whole lot about the planet itself.
    If you want part of the war - pick a side.

Don't like Sentinels? - Work for their removal as a clanner instead of whining about it as neutral. Btw, there are two grid exits to Athen, one in West Athen and one in Old Athen you don't have to run there.

It's difficult enough to stay out of the conflict as it is...
    Garret "Necc" Scheer press officer of Desert Winds (MSAS)

Karma, the world's true equalizer.

Free Rubi-Ka!

Re: Neutral

Originally posted by Brax
    LOL, yes I know it is odd. But that is what I think would inhance the storyline. Just something that I would like to see happen. I just want another side in this war, one that has a better purpose than money or tyranny in the name of freedom. =)

I just want the players to have more control over the storyline. I dont like where it has headed for the Clan side of the conflict, and I have never liked the Omni side just because I dont like being just another cog in the wheel of a big corperation.

I love the game, and it has a great storyline dont get me wrong, but when I go to choose a side, I dont want to be part of either. So for now I have just chosen to be neutral. =)

When you say that Circle G has become good at making thier own story line what do you mean? I know it must not be an offical story otherwise I prolly would have read about it. And can you give me any tips on making my own story? =)

Also, I have yet to see how any guild or players have made an impact on the AO story line. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I would love to see it.

I would love to make some impact on the story of Rubi-Ka, but I just dont see how. Maybe its just cause I've chosen the neutral side, but I haven't heard anyone talking about it from either the clan, omni or anyone else. Any tips?
    Ah yes, Mr.Scheer here is a prime example. He is part of an organization called "Desert Winds". They are ecological activists. They are very concerned about the state of our planet. In that right they have begun their own war against pollution. They attack bases that they feel are polluting or destroying their surrounding ecosystems. And there they have their own story going.

I myself have joined with others in creating an interfactional organization of nonagression pacts. It is small at the moment but I am working on reigniting the spark of interest it had before the Holidays. It has since become a little defunct because of people changing guilds. But I am going to reorganize it, most likely in another name since the previous organization has had some of its founding members leave. In bringing some peace between some guilds I have made an impact on the people and the politics of Rubi-Ka.

My ultimate goal is to bring a Republican/Democratic government to the planet. A governemt by the people, for the people. I hope that one day my organization can be that governing body. That is why I try to include people from all factions, so the whole planet can be represented. I also want freedom for the planet. Though I have an Omni alignment, I do not agree with a corporate rule of a planet. I use alignments to gain access to areas so I can speak with members from each faction. I am not Neutral either, becuase I dont agree with a corporate rule I cant be Neutral. So I am more Clan than anything. I just switch alignments to give myself some geographical freedom.

The original goal of the Clans was to bring freedom from the Oppressive OT Corp. rule. But many of the Clans have forgotten that, and just want to kill people. If you want to read more, read my article in the Voice of Freedom on the Main AO page.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Cool Ahhhh

Ok, I see what you mean now about story lines Benjacrat. Thanks for your help. =) And I have already read that story that you wrote on the main page, great article. =) How many articles did you write before they put one of yours on the main page?

Originally Posted by: Garret 'Necc' Scheer
    Don't like Sentinels? - Work for their removal as a clanner instead of whining about it as neutral. Btw, there are two grid exits to Athen, one in West Athen and one in Old Athen you don't have to run there.
    I didn't truely know about the grid until a couple days ago. Now that I know how to use it, I have been. =) And I think I will take your advice. Although I'm not going to change the alignment on my current character I will be creating a new one to play. =)

Actually that was the first one I ever wrote, and they posted it...

Re: A few words on the AO story - A COMPLETE LIE

Originally posted by JHÞ
    ...I thought it would be helpful if I wrote a post here, out of character so to speak, just to let you people know what is happening with the story and how we are planning to tell it in the forseeable future.
    So at what point did this fail to translate into storyline updates, article updates, ANYTHING at all?

Originally posted by JHÞ
    Some of you seem to be worried about us here at Funcom dropping the story...
    The fact that you are essentially culling all official debate by removing this forum, and have obviously failed in spectacular fashion in following through with your statement of December 13, 2002 is enough room for concern.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    ...not really caring about player’s actions or wishes when it comes to how the story develops...
    How it develops? WHAT developments? Quite simply, you've half-@ssed your way from November on, with no improvements in sight; we have just witnessed the implementation of one of the most cataclysmic occurences in Rubi-Kan history (for which we were given little "official" storyline notice to begin with), and yet the "officials" are dead silent. That is far beyond the proverbial "dropping the ball" - you spiked it at 50-yard line. THAT is proof enough that you are, quite frankly, full of s4!t.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    ...and that everything concerning the future on Rubi-Ka is set in stone.
    It obviously is. Unfortunately, that future doesn't involve an active storyline, as you have proved by your inaction.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    When I started working on the story for AO, the first thing I did was to prepare the physical introduction of actors in the game world, groups of NPC’s representing different story Clans, Omni departments and free agents like Ian Warr’s gang of mercenaries etc. Already some of these are in the game and a lot more is to follow. These story organizations will be the main actors in and set the stage for events and the development of the AO story in general.
    I should really start a poll asking what's left of the "community" if they believe that, especially in light of the fact that the Sentinels overthrew Tir, and yet we heard nothing from anyone.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    It is quite obvious that we need a patch to get these groups (new NPC's, uniforms, items, signs, offices, quests etc.) out to the live servers and the plan is to introduce a couple at the time like we have started doing. Some of these organizations, or factions, are peaceful; others will be demanding their space, like The Sentinels.
    Hmmmm..."demanding their space"? I haven't heard anyone from the Sentinels actually "speak" about such things.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    Player organizations together with NPC organizations are all a part of and create the Rubi-Ka community.
    Glad to see that was taken into account in light of the recent forum decision. By now, it should be painfully obvious to you that your "community" only comprises two groups: your beloved NPCs and the boot-licking fan sites that pressured you into this.

*Rosethorn, Meister, et al., this is not against any of you - I respect you for your dedication to your work, but have very little respect for FC right now.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    As well as introducing new factions, the ones already on the arena will be reformed to adapt to what is happening on Rubi-Ka.
    [Twink1]: D00dz! I just spent 4 hourz campin Tara and got this ph@t X-3!! Let's go kill some ICC peacegimpz!

I do hope your "factions" are prepared to exclusively, solely, deal with that, because that is all you have left.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    Just remember; those are run by NPC's with their own ambitions and agendas and they will not necessarily react in the way you would expect them to.
    Indeed. It is quite surprising that Ross hasn't uttered a word since October; that Derousse hasn't said anything for 2 months, despite these "notum wars"; and that, oh, there hasn't been a storyline update to so much as inform us of these groups theoretically present "agendas" of which you speak.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    Player actions, events and web material are an ongoing element in the development of the story.
    - Player actions: there are many, none of which so much as get tacit support from FC
    - Events: what are these? I haven't seen an "official" event in months. Everything I see is the result of the ARK "greenies" working their @sses off trying to cover for FC's incompetence and neglect. TO THE ARK EVENTS TEAM: This isn't meant to insult you guys - I know you're volunteers and work your buts off, but I also realize that you can only do so much.
    - Web Material: THE F()CKING AUDACITY of the fact that you utter this statement, issue a TAG editorial, and then shrink back away and ignore us after this little bout of appeasement makes me sick.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    Meanwhile we here in the story team observe...what people write on the boards...
    Still wonder why none of us have any trust or respect for you or this "story team"? (oh, and by the way, what ever happened to the "AO Live Events Team"? Funny how they slipped silently away with Ragnar and haven't been replaced.)

Originally posted by JHÞ
    Oh! And one last thing; The interesting thing about coming to new and strange places is usually not to actually see the sights, but rather not to know what you are going to experience, never knowing what is behind the next corner.
    Unfortunately, us suckers who waited anticipantly for something to jump at us from around that corner get stuck with this b()lls4it.

Originally posted by JHÞ
    May you live in interesting times
    Interesting indeed.
    Last edited by Ammicus; Jan 21st, 2003 at 02:07:43.

Changed my mind about my post. I'll just say the last post just enforces my sig.

<rest of content deleted. not in the mood for being flamed for using logic>
    AO is not just about pvp, or Rp or power lvling. It is about whatever the players choose to bring to it. Don't make it personal against one of these groups because you feel nerfed by the game company.

Atlantian: "Jesska Rhees" - lvl 153 Crat - retired
    Rimor: Krazee "Lilyflie" Madness - lvl 103 ENF - semi around again

Okay, so Alamexis is angry. But he's also not wrong.

Garret "Bonefish" Silvestrini
    Director - SPARTA
    Chairman of the Omni-Tek Security Council

Founding Member of the Omni-Tek Security Council (OTSEC)

The Omni-Tek Security Council is dedicated to ensuring the company’s security and interests against all threats, coordinating any action deemed necessary to protect corporate assets and personnel.

garret.silvestrini@ot-sparta.org | www.ot-sparta.org

What Alamexis said!!! Word!

If I read JHÞ's post and think of the latest patches I come to this conclution: Funcom obviously thinks that "a 4 year continuing storyline" is the same as adding a few new mobs and some quests once in a while.

Quests... Well there are just about as much story in them as in running a mission. Not even the roleplayers run missions because Mr. X wants Doctor Y spied on. They do it for some xp's and some loot. And I don't see ANY storyline or roleplay or whatever in any of the mobs.

I even saw JHÞ mention that patches was needed to put in uniforms, boards, whatever...

Uniforms? So far all that has been patched in is more loot. And boards? Well if he's talking about the big advertisement thingies, I don't see much roleplay or story about some Notum Wars commercials!!! That's just an attempt to make some players spend some money.

"A 4 year continuing storyline..."
    Anyone remember when it was next to impossible to browse the AO homepage without being bombarded with that sentence? Try finding it now! Really, there is a price to the winner!!! Goes well with JHÞ's post don't You think?

Bah I'm sitting here shaking from anger right now... Better stop before... hmm... ok, I'll stop
    Ghump - a member of Ragnarok

My hovercraft is full of eels

Word my brutha.

Garret "Bonefish" Silvestrini
    Director - SPARTA
    Chairman of the Omni-Tek Security Council

Founding Member of the Omni-Tek Security Council (OTSEC)

The Omni-Tek Security Council is dedicated to ensuring the company’s security and interests against all threats, coordinating any action deemed necessary to protect corporate assets and personnel.

garret.silvestrini@ot-sparta.org | www.ot-sparta.org

Voted by the community: BEST ROLEPLAYER & MOST INFLUENTIAL OMNI-TEK - Thank you guys!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123