Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Level 40 nanomage killed instantly on chest blast

They should definetly tone it down a bit, its a silly way to loose xp.
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

Originally posted by ThePartisan
    Hmm... not all nanomages either. I bet nanomage enforcers don't get killed from chests!

And it would be a good idea to do as the man said: max body dev and implant life.
    Nanomage enforcers? Is there such a thing? And if so, they are gimped. Regardless of lvl and equipment.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Originally posted by Wraith God

Now just a minute here.

1. Its not self inflicted. Funcom changed the story by significantly increasing chest blast damage, and presumably did it for some reason. Interestingly, the only class it signifantly effects are nanomages. Why is that? We won't get an answer from Funcom of course, but the reason I'm posting here, is because I think that change was ill-conceived. If you don't think it wasn't ill-conceived, then lets here your reason for raising blast damage just enought to catch a good chunk of nanomages and nobody else.

2. As noted, body dev, strength, evades, are all dark blue for NTs. Presumably, because they're of tertiary importance for the class. MC, on the other hand, is of primary importance. So you're ocmparision is 100% off the mark.

Further, for Mobs, my hp is not an overwhelming problem. For chest blast it is. Why is that? Why should a chest do hugely more damage that the most damaging Mob in the whole mission? Presumably, there is a reason. What is it? Especially as all my spying skills are dark blue, so there is no way I'm ever going to be able to disarm a chest. Does this mean that nanomages are specifically intended not to solo? Or if you solo, only nanomages should not get loot? Does it make sense?

Your point that it can be compensated for, is a valid one. And yeah, that's what's gonna have to happen. My point here though, is what is the rationale behind making nanomage NT change their implant and IP priorities simply to survive opening chests? I haven't a clue. Do you?

A couple of things.

First of alll.

Start maxing Comp Lit. I cant believe you dont put IP into that.

Secondly. The reson they made traps higher dmg is. No one feard them. IT was only a minor insect bite. I doubt a SINGLE person in the entire planet has raised the Trap Disarm skill.

Now, this said, it is NOT a nanomage nerf. IF you were, for examplke, a nanomage fixer, or nanomage agent, you would have a GREEN trap disarm skill.

This is as it should be. Deal with it.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Hehe. Guys who make assertions without data are just such easy targets.

It just so happens that I have a bunch of chars. Some are nanomage, some are solitus, and some are opifex. Here's a list of the hp and bodydev stats on those around level 40:

1. level 40 Nanomage NT: 530 hp; 145 body dev
    2. level 36 Solitus Doc: 711 hp; 120 body dev
    3. level 44 Solitus Crat: 828 hp; 160 body dev
    4. level 30 Opifex Fixer: 658 hp; 113 body dev

None of these chars but the fixer has hp implants, and on the fixer I compensated for the 104 max health from them.
    You'll notice that even the level 30 opifex could have easily survived the blast that wiped out the level 40 nanomage. And the level 30 opifex has significantly lower body dev stats.
    Level 27 Nanomage NT. 136 body dev. 512 max health. Implanted Stamina and Bright Max Health.
    Unlike you, I understand that the downside of the nanomage breed is their low health, and thus compensate for it, instead of complaining when my own stupidity gets me killed.

Your assertion then, that the chest blasts indiscriminately affect all classes is simply bull. You don't know what you are talking about.
    What I said was: "This affects anyone who hasn't raised their HP. A trap doesn't care if you are an Atrox or a Nanomage, it just does damage. "

Do you really think that there's a line in the code for traps that checks if you are a nanomage? Sheesh.

I'm sure everything seems pretty basic to you. But that doesn't mean that it is.

For example, my docs also have dark blue evades, and sure, they're gonna get hit by chest blasts just the same as the nanomage. The difference, is that the Solitus doc will survive but the Nanomage NT won't. By a wide margin. And if you look, you'll see that the doc has spent less on body dev. So its not a simple question of raising stats as you seem to think.
    One is Solitus.
    One is Nano.

The Nanomage gets more Int/Psy/Nanopool, and less health.
    This is a *tradeoff*.
    This means that you have to compensate for the lower health of the nanomage, not whine about how unfair it is that chests do damage now.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

hahahahahaha.

I had died so many times from someone opening a chest in a room that i was in.. I used to have to say to the team i was in that if someone was going to open a chest please let me run out of the room first and everybody would laugh an i would say no seriously please and every time someone would open a chest while i was in the room or while i was trying to run out and i would die... I put some ip into that bomb evade skill andmy hp and now when one blows up i still have a good 500 hp left.
    svendor lvl 206 nt
    Eternal fury
    LORD oF THE CLAW CAMP.

Bomb evade skill ? You mean duck exp ? I thought that only affected shotties... ?

* Failed Rollerrat Hatching Colony tries to blow you into tiny bits, but MISSES * ?
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Hmmm you have low health and you're fragile.

You have no skills to detect and disarm traps.

You died .... hmm lets see... hmmm does the term "natural selection" mean anything to you?

Well, first, I'd like to thank everyone who posted on this tread for helping me out (yes, you too Mr. Kenlon ).

Its clear that I'm just gonna have to give this char a massive boost in hp before he solos again (this is the first time I've played this char since they increased chest damage, btw).

It also clear that trying to get a rationale for changes is like trying to get a rationale for laws, just a sure fired way to get you in trouble. So before I end up in jail, I'm just gonna cut my loses.

See y'all in the game.

Originally posted by Turin

Nanomage enforcers? Is there such a thing? And if so, they are gimped. Regardless of lvl and equipment.

That was sort of a joke

But there are actually nano enfs

Nice with some diversity... although I don't wanna by one myself.

Well well

1. Get a small HP buff before you solo a mission.
    2. Get a body dev. or max live implant.
    3. it shouldn't be all that easy to solo....i actually think chests doesnt make that much dmg. I'll be more frightened if a RR pops up from the chest...i'm a nano mage doc so.

PS. Good luck :-)

dr.wizzz

1. Its not self inflicted.
    Yes it is. YOU dont max Body Dev and YOU dont implant life.
    Funcom changed the story by significantly increasing chest blast damage, and presumably did it for some reason.
    LOL - changing the amount damage done by chest traps is not changing the story! It is part of a constant tuning of elements in the game, and has nothing to do with the story.
    Interestingly, the only class it signifantly effects are nanomages. Why is that? We won't get an answer from Funcom of course, but the reason I'm posting here, is because I think that change was ill-conceived.
    This is a change that affects anyone who is low on HP's. Agreed - nanomages are easier to gimp in that respect. But with maxed body dev and implanted life my own nanomage NT survives every chest he pops - even when calming through 80% missions. The fact that a skill is dark blue does not mean that it's not important!
    If you don't think it wasn't ill-conceived, then lets here your reason for raising blast damage just enought to catch a good chunk of nanomages and nobody else.
    Anything that causes damage will do a bigger percentive chunk into a guy with little HP, than the same damage will do to a guy with more HP. Thus, nanomages will notice any damage dealt to them more than other species.
    The damage dealt here is not insta death for a nanomage who has taken appropriate action to cover up for his breed weakness! You havent! You didnt even bother to max body dev!
    2. As noted, body dev, strength, evades, are all dark blue for NTs. Presumably, because they're of tertiary importance for the class. MC, on the other hand, is of primary importance. So you're ocmparision is 100% off the mark.
    Actually I'm not.
    Yes!!! MC is of primary importance - it is your attack raiting. But having the highest MC in the world doesnt help you if you dont have HP's. Without HP's you are dead. Therefore - your HP's are of primary importance too.

As pointed out to you by others in this thread - as you level up you will have to deal with more dark blue skills. Why? Because they are important! Because you die if you neglect them! So here's a tip: Dont grade the importance of a skill by the color it has! Grade it after the consequenses of NOT upping it.
    Your point that it can be compensated for, is a valid one. And yeah, that's what's gonna have to happen. My point here though, is what is the rationale behind making nanomage NT change their implant and IP priorities simply to survive opening chests? I haven't a clue. Do you?
    For all my NT's - both NM and Soli - HP's have been a key implant and IP priority. I think that's true for most NT's out there.

Jeevez........: Rimor Clan Enforcer (Atrox)
    Mediceval....: Rimor Clan Doc (Solitus)
    Mozart........: Rimor Clan Trader (Solitus)

Retired:
    Helvic.........: Rimor Clan NT (Solitus).
    Epoz..........: Rimor Clan NT (Nanomage).

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Traps are rather boring

First - just because its dark blue does not mean you dont have to raise it. I hate having to do it, but mylvl 89 MP is having to dump tonnes of points right now because i am a three shot kill to many mobs.

Second - What are you thinking trying to do a solo mission, dont you know thats a borderline exploit, and in need of nerfing, why else would it be so much easier to survive in a team.

traps are really boring. Damage - eather you survive or you dont. Either you can heal up right away, and one would wonder what penality that is, except a very minor financial one. Perhaps if traps did other things, ie snares, roots, morphs, dots, it would be a little more inspiring to use a drap disarm, or put points in that area.

Ani.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

If you are an NT then get layers.... it is effectively an HP buff.

Recast it just before you attempt to pop the chest.

Does trap disarm work like B&E i.e 2x QL of mission?
    2003-2004 full time addict
    2004-2005 full time testlive
    2005-2006 full time addict to another game
    2006 occasional testlive

It seems Absobtion shields amplify damage yet. My opifex at level 80 got blown all over rubi ka with a blast for 7020 damage. If you look you can still see parts of him landing here and there. This was from a door that was locked!. anyway at the time i had a bigol essance, nt shield, and doc hp buff and almost 3000 health. After I posted about it to my guild I had responces from level 160-197 characters saying they couldnt even survive that.

Also another problem about instantly killed is when fighting mobs who decide to use full auto and burst. a equivalant level mob in a mission when they do do this hit you for a large chunk of damage if not over it. A level 130 Atrox enforcer in a mission was 1 hit killed by full auto. the group started to say how they didnt see his life go down at all.. just poof. he looked back at his damage and sure enough full autoed for more then his max health.

While these factors do make the game more of a challange. Dieing from 1 hit is not fun. More specificaly, Dieing in one hit from a NPC who has had their health and armor over doubled compared to a pc at that level is unfair. Monster special attacks should be halfed just like player damage to another player. chest damage needs to be lowered or else fixed so reflect shields and absorbtion effects dont do more damage to you then intended. Frustrating the players with NPC's ultimate attacks is rude and uncareing.

Re: Traps are rather boring

Originally posted by Animosity
    traps are really boring. Damage - eather you survive or you dont. Either you can heal up right away, and one would wonder what penality that is, except a very minor financial one. Perhaps if traps did other things, ie snares, roots, morphs, dots, it would be a little more inspiring to use a drap disarm, or put points in that area.
    Agreed

However - traps harms mobs close by and make them aggro. I've had some occations with calmed mobs aggroing me after I popped a trapped chest.

Morale of the story - pull the mob away from the chest before calming it.

Epoz

Jeevez........: Rimor Clan Enforcer (Atrox)
    Mediceval....: Rimor Clan Doc (Solitus)
    Mozart........: Rimor Clan Trader (Solitus)

Retired:
    Helvic.........: Rimor Clan NT (Solitus).
    Epoz..........: Rimor Clan NT (Nanomage).

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Game don't need weaker traps.
    Game need way of getting missions 100% free of traps if you choose (and less loot).
    Game need more bigger better loot in trapped chests that don't blow up and sucky loot if they blow.

The first time I got a char blown to pieces (a low level agent) it felt great. The old traps were crap.

3xQL IIRC.

Have a nice weekend.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Trapped chests are the best way to gain xp, not lose it. One option is to raise perception and trap disarm just enough to get you over the hump. Disarming chests gives WAAAY more xp than picking the lock and either dying from the blast or killing the resulting rat.

Oh yeah, you use the search command to detect traps.

Or just team for a while til ya get more HP.

(just a couple of ideas for ya, everyone gets the opportunity to make their own choices in the game)

Oh jebus H. Max your damn body dev out and put in life implants. At level 40, you could be wearing ql120 or so life implants (use temp surgery implants in the head hand and eye to get them on)

I see this lame excuse from nanogimps all the time, especially in teams. "WTF you lame doc! You should have healed me before that enforcer took all of my 200hp away!"

Hp comes before nanoskills, even for a caster. Especially for a caster. People won't be impressed by izgimmer's flaming butt revenge if they can't keep you alive.

And jimminey cricket! Soloing missions at lvel 40 self buffed? Hell, even the mobs are probably running essence of behemoth and mochams...

Seasoned Nanogun: "122 NT LFG! Gimme mokies pllzzz gimme ess pls, **** crit plzzzz"
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Talking Your sliding your agg bar right?

Nano NT here...
    Started having this problem also post patch.
    Have been keeping my evades up a bit recently thou.
    With 530 body d, 300 somethin duck explosions and pretty
    good nano agumented. I barely, survive (but do survive) chest
    explostions. Not sure if it's luck or sliding the bar to full defense before opening the chest but, thought it might help so...
    slide that bar!!!!!!!!!!!!

they've set it up to kill nanomages. Nobody else. That's my problem.
    If it makes you feel better, my opifex agent died opening a trapped chest @ lvl 40ish (dark blue body dev/dark blue stamina).

However, being that she's an agent I did know the chest was trapped before I opened it..
    ~ Nikki "Kitene" Darling ~
    4925867th lvl 200 MA. cookie plz!
    ~ Lady "Aerfalle"Aerlinthe ~
    4925867th 200 NT. Gimme cookie
    '.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.>Storm<.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast