Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why is the 1k Clan Board better then the 1k Omni Board?

Greetings,

Essentially, I was invited to visit this thread. Both Jayde and Cemetarygate bring up good points and make for quite the interesting debate.

Now, I will get a few things out of the way from the start. I am a Clansman, still completely loyal to the Council of Truth and hoping for them to return, still dedicated to a victory of the Clans against Omni-Tek, a diplomat and hopeful pacifist to the end. I am not blind to the points of view of others, or a "bigoted clan" as was so aptly put by someone.

With that out of the way, let me say I consider Neutrals to be my brothers. I respect them highly for choosing freedom in this conflict, and will always help out a Neutral in need because of it.

However, I am forced to agree with Cemetarygate on most points. The Neutrals do not have "official" backing from anyone; ICC is an off-world "company" that has nothing to do with the conflict on Rubi-Ka, or the civilians caught in the crossfire. Even though they do poke their noses occasionally, they aren't any manner of force on the planet. Harry, from what I can see, is an entrepreneur out for profit, and quite possibly too busy a man to handle the bureaucratic side of a merit system along with his buisness. This essentially reduces the potential sources of "backing" to nil from the listing given higher in this thread.

On the subject of equipment, however, I will say nothing more than the following:I am a nanomage doctor wielding a Sword of Sir Galahad with outdated implants and equipment, and I can still solo a mission when, not if, I feel like doing so. You wouldn't catch me dead in the criminal Clan Anarchiste Syndicate's armor, and I honestly can't see any point in compromising my personal integrity for the sake of "wearing the most popular armor". I'd sooner die than give them any more notoriety.

Tokens boards, however, I'm inclined to agree with Jayde. He does not have the possibility of having a token board, as Cemetarygate so firmly states. He is Neutral, and does not wish to be forced to choose a side for the sake of the occasional benefit here and there. I respect him deeply for that. However (and I use that word quite often), given that I've established there is no official backing for Neutrals, I am forced to suggest Jayde, and any other Neutrals feeling distraught on the subject, direct his(/their) attention to obtaining an item such as the one Kenidy/Isgrimnur describes; "neck item that is unique and has certain advantages". His idea of quest completion is perfectly sound, and inspires me of, bear with me while I elaborate, an item that essentially shows a Neutral has been hired by the ICC. This is quite extreme, of course, and I doubt such an idea would be worked in, but essentially the principle is fine.

I'll end with the shortly-mentioned subject of OT/Clan/Neutral service exchange and trade by mentioning that I am strongly of the opinion OT/Clan interactions should be outlawed. As is explained on the application forms given to everyone as they arrive planetside; "both sides agree that they don't want moles". Interactions with Neutrals however, I regret to admit that I see them perfectly fine as they are, generally. This within reason of my statement that I will help any Neutral that requires it.

I have attempted to make this post as little inflammatory as possible, and if anyone takes offense to any of the contents, I will be quite surprised. And quite willing to discuss the reasons of said taking offense personally with the individual.

That is all for now.
    -Dr. Ervin "Hayjyin" Houston

This thread is something that I often think of in my spare time, as I feel it does require some serious attention, here are some recent thoughts:

"What exactly are merit boards, what are the purpose of them?"

Merit boards seem to be MEDALS, something we often find soldiers wearing when they EARN them. Sure we don't really earn them the hard way, like say the pads quest items, we just kill stuff, hit boss, token, repeat, repeat, repeat.

"hmm merit boards, seem like medals, like one would wear the Medal of Honor around their neck...what else do people wear around their necks?"

Well for starters, necklaces are just totally absent in this game. For some oldschool RPG players who remember M59, their "ultmate" item was a "god gift" that went on the...NECK. Necklaces that have some uber cool abilities might be another option. And not just for neutral people either. Sure plenty of ppl would wear a "medallion" style necklace around their necks if u could see it on them.

PRESS PASSES or other types of passes are worn around people's necks. Look at any major sporting event, they have like 10 ids around their neck etc. How about ICC passes. ICC can get quests - for neutrals only, that allow them say 5 lvls of passes. The top pass lets them do what they kind of complain they cant: buy and sell at all terminals in the planet. Be off limits to ANY guards on the planet, even the nasty sentinals. Gives them some different kinds of bonuses than token boards would...something unique to only a neutral.

Ties go around the neck too, but we have bowties, and well I can't see a tie having a good roleplay significance.

Please share your thoughts on this. I think neutrals SHOULDNT be the same as omni or clan. They are special in a sense. ICC isn't a company either, it is a regulartory body, kind of like the UN. Perhaps that can open a whole bang of storyline when/if FC wants to start with A STORYLINE.

Also I think if merit boards are medals, they should keep going. Just cause a guy wins a few doesn't stop him for engaging in the fight does it?
    Old Isgrimnur Timer - Ranger
    Glen Sago Schmeisser - General
    Marky Kenidy Mark - Master Assassin Retired@200
    Bling Isgrimnurr Bling - Chairman and CEO

"Have you ever wondered, when you check loot and see NODROP, if it is not supposed to be dropped, how come the mob dropped it? And if the mob can drop it, why can't I?"

Re: maybe because clans are better

Originally posted by Animosity
    Or to quote a leet "STFU MOFO"

whine whine whine... we got armour but they get a nicer badge ... wa wa wa... my conscious hurts (then you should have been a clanner) ... boo hoo ... someone else has nice stuff too... no i'm not spoilt, I'm omni!

RU N00B?
    My god, Animosity- did someone cast "d00d Form- Other" on you or something?
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Hayjyin, you bring up a valid point by stating that "he is neutral, and does not wish to be forced to choose a side for the sake of the occasional benefit here and there."

We see many "pick a side, fence sitter" messages directed towards neutral persons. I've never specifically said those words, I havn't planned on using those words and I certainly hope I have not come accross as that type of person since I too respect a persons decision to align with any faction they wish (Although I can't understand why anyone would wish to give up the rights to their sole by joining Omni-Tek).

However, my position remains firm. Neutrals do have the ability to obtain the merit boards, they simply refuse to take the necessary steps. That is perfectly fine. Again, I'm not stating they have to take those steps, simply that those steps are available for them to take.

The difference between Jayde and myself is that I can see those steps, and he refuses to acknowledge them. The point, again, is that the steps are there. Weather or not he chooses to take those steps are up to him. Just because he chooses to turn left instead of right, that doesn't mean the right path doesn't exist.

I agree that the "neck item" is sound in theory, and too feel that such an item can come to be if enough focus from the neutral community brought the concept to the powers that be.
    Last edited by Cemetarygate; Dec 21st, 2002 at 16:41:18.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234