Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downtime is getting excessive

Thumbs down Downtime is getting excessive

I didn't keep count of the number of hours the AO servers have been down the past month, but it's totally out of line. A rough guess would be that we had at least 2 full days downtime the past 3 months. The cause of this downtime is that FC has to fix things up they screwed up in the first place, so I really think some kind of compensation would be more than welcome. Other MMORPG's I played compensated for downtime by adding a few days of gameplay to each account suffering the downtime.

Wednesday is my day off, and I barely get to play AO that day, I can perfectly live with a 1-2 hour downtime every week, but 4-8 hours is just too much, especially since the reason for the downtime is nearly always a fix for things FC messed up.

They don't even bother apologizing for their downtime anymore: "Greetings! All servers are now down for a client patch and server maintenance. Estimated downtime is 6 hours." Sounds like they even think it's normal to shut the servers down for 6 hours.

Yeh i must agree with u its seems like there is patch every week recently its pain for us europeans especially as it always comes when i would usually play 11am gmt so is extremely annoying. personally i would prefer one big patch a month unless its an emergency.
    Last edited by filnge; Dec 11th, 2002 at 15:55:03.

wednesday morn EST is also my best time....6 hrs once a week is rather excessive, since it takes us about that long to re-sort or banks once we get back in-game
    Auri Sacra Fames!

Specialone Clan Fixer RK-2
    Spatialone Clan Bureaucrat RK-2

hell ya its my day off to and server gos down 11\1200 in the moring and are down 8 F***** hours server are back up 1800ish that a full day when server are down kinda sux

How many of those other MMORPG's DONT have bugs? How many of them patch as often as funcom? Does the EULA say "We will compensate every whining gamer who can't stand for us to try and fix their game to make it better, WITHOUT charging for yearly updates or other such fees?"

hm just want to say : today i was in vacancy, every time there is a patch, i am in vacancy (for one day) or i am sick (so i am at home)

Hurra...
    Vaultcitizen ADV 190. Teh pistol gimpness
    Catspawgirl NT 171. Pnh/Ior Dispenser
    Mareva Fix 167. GSF, Hot and fix grid Dispenser
    Canigou MP 135. CI Dispenser
    Pipboy2001 MA 80ish in gamboling doing /fblock.

Rubi-Ka 1

allways /tell Vaultcitizen

Originally posted by TaifFlame
    How many of those other MMORPG's DONT have bugs? How many of them patch as often as funcom? Does the EULA say "We will compensate every whining gamer who can't stand for us to try and fix their game to make it better, WITHOUT charging for yearly updates or other such fees?"
    every MMORPG has bugs, but not every one spends 4-6 hours patching on a regular basis...

Heh, I've only been playing AO for a week, and this 6 hour downtime thing has happened twice since I started playing. Or at least to my knowledge... I hope they don't do this all the time :\

I came here from AC, where they just have one big patch every month... Downtime doesn't really bother me though, it forces me to do other stuff like... sleep... and eat (I forget about that sometimes). And post on message boards.

for a while they were doin okay with the downtime, but it's been getting progressively worse with each patch they throw up.

Originally posted by CyCo PL
    Heh, I've only been playing AO for a week, and this 6 hour downtime thing has happened twice since I started playing. Or at least to my knowledge... I hope they don't do this all the time :\

I came here from AC, where they just have one big patch every month... Downtime doesn't really bother me though, it forces me to do other stuff like... sleep... and eat (I forget about that sometimes). And post on message boards.
    HAHAHHA FC good going on impressing another new customer.

Also a new customer, and i can see how that could get annoying, especially if it happens excessively.. Then again, we're not actually AT Funcom knowing what they are doing. It could be an emergency..although im just a noob, what do i know?

So it says 11:03, thats GMT right? Making it around 2:03 for Pacific Time (US&Canada)?..Just curious, I got up early to juss fool around and have nothing better to do till hopefullly 8ish when they say the servers will be up.

Is funcom pretty good at estimating downtime, or is it more like "we get there when we get there." ??

Just wait untill you go 3 months with out a patch, you will be begging for 10 hours down time if it will just get AO new content... though they will still have 1-2 hour dowtimes every wednesday to refresh their servers and run scan programs to make sure they are all running ok. :P

the 14.2 and 4 patches had very uncool waiting times before they got implimented

Talking

heheheh, patch day = tons of posting on forum

It certainly makes the numbers look good for total postings and such but it is a shame that someone new to the game might get the wrong idea since many postings are done out of anger/annoyance on patch day.

/me does a few more patch day postings :-b
    If at first you dont' succeed, reload.

If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, loot it.

patch day = laggy forum

6hours is too much

Welcome in ao Cyco what is ur side ? i ll be happy to help u

hey unit99 are u unit999 ?
    Vaultcitizen ADV 190. Teh pistol gimpness
    Catspawgirl NT 171. Pnh/Ior Dispenser
    Mareva Fix 167. GSF, Hot and fix grid Dispenser
    Canigou MP 135. CI Dispenser
    Pipboy2001 MA 80ish in gamboling doing /fblock.

Rubi-Ka 1

allways /tell Vaultcitizen

For those of you who are new (suckers!) the patchfest here is due to the totaly FUBAR's nature of the release of the booster pack, since Funcom needed to rush it out the door to try and get some money back in their pockets.

Just hope this patch accualy fixes something,
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Heh, I'm clan... I reactivated my AO account because all of my AC friends moved here. Yeah, I got AO back when it was originally released, and before that I played beta. I only played it for a month after release though... So, by some peoples' standards, I wouldn't really be a newbie. But, I am a newbie.

I practically had to re-learn everything about the game, and there's still a ton of stuff that I don't know. I've had a lot of fun playing in the past week though. It's just amazing how much they've improved the game over the past year. It's a shame though, reading through this board. It looks like a lot of people aren't satisfied with the game at all...

Originally posted by Canigou / Mareva
    hey unit99 are u unit999 ?
    thats a 100% negative my friend. I assume when this guy made his alias Unit99 was obviously taken (by me) so he added another 9 to it. I've been using Unit99 on the internet for years. Yes I was a fan of the old show Get Smart 99 was the man!

how log have the servers been down?

how long hav ethe servers been down its now 10:31 am standard mountain time thats 7 hours behind GMT. what time exactly did the servers go off line?

Yay, another 3 hours downtime today, looks like our Live servers turned into Test. :P

The downtime each week aint that much of a problem (tho less would be better), but the most annoying thing about it is: they patch it... and then take it down cos the patch was bugged ...

That's like buying stuff from a shop and then walk out the door and immediately come back to return it cos you didnt like it after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast