Thread: What does MOB stand for?

What does MOB stand for?

jus'askin'
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

Wink hmmm

maybe monster/movable object ....
    tradeskillz ?

I hear it was originally an abbreviation for Mobile. It referred to attackable things that weren't rooted in place (like plants). But over time, it came to be a reference to any attackable thing.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Originally posted by Hypos
    I hear it was originally an abbreviation for Mobile. It referred to attackable things that weren't rooted in place (like plants). But over time, it came to be a reference to any attackable thing.
    yep, that is exactly correct, it is an old MUD term
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Originally posted by Yazule

yep, that is exactly correct, it is an old MUD term
    hey! i'm not old... i am ...err.. age challanged

hehe I always wondered what MOB meant as well, but I didn't wanna seem like a n00b so I'd tell people it was "man or beast". hahahaha I'm the master of misinformation and a self proclaimed n00b.
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Hehe Deacon

It does indeed stand for Mobile.

So named because the authors of DIKUMUD, from the computer science department of the university of copenhagen, about 15 years ago, decided to name "code objects" that were capable of moving on their own as "Mobiles" in the networked D&D-Based RPG game they were building, and eventually released open-source.

If you log on to any MUD out there, their names will be in the credits.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Actually, not all MUDs are made on the old DikuMUD code, there are some that are not .. but they are indeed few and far between.

Yes, MOB is short for MOBiles wllthough "Man or Beast" also fits real nice. A lot of odd things like that sneak into games like these over the time.

How many have heard someone in AO say "ding" when they levelled ?
    Have you ever heard a ding when you levelled ?
    Nope, you hear some odd Ziiing and then some pretty "music" ... but definately not a ding.

Take a guess where those really comes from ... this should be easy.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

in the earloy days of AO people called out FLIP! if you levelled

if we are confessing our noobness here. what the heck is a woot? Saying it out loud generally only gets me odd looks.

Fract

I never hear 'DING' before Everquest where leveling has a similar sound, but I never heard 'WOOT' before then either...

Originally posted by Cado

How many have heard someone in AO say "ding" when they levelled ?
    Have you ever heard a ding when you levelled ?
    Nope, you hear some odd Ziiing and then some pretty "music" ... but definately not a ding.

Take a guess where those really comes from ... this should be easy.
    Hmm the best guess I got is EQ. That sorta sounded like a ding. Chances are I'm wrong but its worth a shot. Oh and if I am wrong do I still get credit for knowing what MOB stands for?

I also remember when people use to say flip when they leveled. I used it, but too many people didn't understand what I was talking about so I went back to saying ding. Now I get my well earned "congrats", "grats", "gratz", or sometimes "congorats".

Barakus

Ding

Ding is most definitely a MUD term. Think about it like an old toaster. What sound do you hear when your bread pops up? "DING". So that's the sound of someone's level popping up. I even used to play one MUD where you saw "DING! You have achieved XX level". Definitely predates EQ.

I think woot is an Americanism isn't it?

I don't know I've certainly heard it used in plenty of places outside online games.

There is an online game slang dictionary somewhere but I can't find it anymore. I wonder how many terms we use every day are AO, how many are MMOG and how many are just internet.

Eg.

Gank, gimp, twink, kite, buff, wrangle.

There must be loads more, hey this has the potential of becoming a good thread.

Who has more? Source as well if you know it?

BTW: Cado/Jynne is your knowledge of DikuMUD more than passing. I always love this stuff - we had the guy who wrote many of the original text adventures playing AO a while back - remember the What is a good Hydra team guy?

Gimp and twink have some very ... specific connotations outside of the gaming world. Ask TheDeacon, he probably knows what I'm talking about. Let's just say that there are certain places where you probably don't want to claim to be either and leave it at that...

Cheers,

~R~

Originally posted by Fractaloon
    if we are confessing our noobness here. what the heck is a woot? Saying it out loud generally only gets me odd looks.

Fract
    I'm going to leave the name DIKumud alone and not say a damn word. I'm leaving the DIKumud where it belongs...in the mud. Get it? my d---never mind.

As for w00t.

w00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewoo tw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewo otw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutew ootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhute wootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhut ewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhu tewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwh utewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtw hutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewt whutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twew twhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twe wtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00tw ewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00t wewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00 twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw0 0twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw 00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewoot w00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewootw00twewtwhutewoo tw00twewtwhutewoot

it's the w00tidy w00tness of it all baby. Get in the w00t.
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

woot = something excitingly great. even tho some people missuse it. my guess it cuz they dont know is real meaning. "woot" is slang for "what", which in america if you say it loud and you sound plesantly excited, it sounds like woot, and it means your really happy for yourself or someone else.

example: Player 1: I lvled 20 times today!
    Player 2: woot!

Player 1: I won Dragon Chest in raffle!
    Players 2-100: Woot!

Originally posted by diatribe
    I think woot is an Americanism isn't it?

I don't know I've certainly heard it used in plenty of places outside online games.

There is an online game slang dictionary somewhere but I can't find it anymore. I wonder how many terms we use every day are AO, how many are MMOG and how many are just internet.

Eg.

Gank, gimp, twink, kite, buff, wrangle.

There must be loads more, hey this has the potential of becoming a good thread.

Who has more? Source as well if you know it?

BTW: Cado/Jynne is your knowledge of DikuMUD more than passing. I always love this stuff - we had the guy who wrote many of the original text adventures playing AO a while back - remember the What is a good Hydra team guy?
    KITe is "Killing In Transit" - killing a mob while it moves and can't fight back. The name stuck cause it's trailing a mob along behind you like it was a "kite" on a string This is a much more popular leveling tactic on EQ than it is on AO.

Buff is an Americanism - someone who is strong is "buff." So abilities that make you stronger, are called "buffs."

Gimp is a term used to describe a crippled or atrophied limb - ie, "Bob Dole has a gimped arm from the war." It's also got other connotations... but the way we use it, is in line with the idea of a crippled or atrophied character.

Twink... this one beats me Any ideas?

One quick other...
    COD - Circle of Death. It's where you'd KITe a mob in a big circle by keeping it aggroed on you, while your group stood in the middle of that circle and shot it with ranged weapons/spells.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Diku doesn't belong in the mud. Without it games like AO, EQ, UO, and the likes never would have been around. I still have characters on a few MUDs scattered here and there. YES! They do still exist.
    Don't get me wrong, AO is great. But MUDs leave a lot more to the imagination. Those of us with backgrounds in MUDs I would think have a distinct advantage in truly understanding how damage, ac, and to some degree skills work because it really hasn't changed.
    But this is just the world of someone with way too much time invested in these games...even long before the institution of Smaug.
    And just to stick to the thread, MOB is indeed a short for MOBile objects. Had been a long time since I'd thought about that.

FYI...CoD also has roots in the MUD world. It was a high level skill typically associated with thieves.

Vunari

Stronger than a leetomotive.
    Able to leap small bushes in a single bound.
    Faster than...well...almost nothing.
    It's me.

I used to say "flip" at launch when I levelled, but people got angry or confused and assumed I was typo-ing /flip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast