Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New zones for just hunting?

New zones just for hunting?

Now that Notum Wars has been released, there is a reason for more people to start visiting "the outdoors." However, for those of us who always enjoyed outdoor hunting and exploration, a fairly sizeable chunk of Rubi-Ka's wild zones (at least on Atlantean) will now have 100% gas operating a significant part of the time.

Now, the game world is only about 60% complete from the zones that were on the original map. There are even map items in the game for some of these zones (The Spur, Plains of Salt, the Bay of Rome, and Three Craters come to mind). Does anyone think that it might be good for Funcom to make some of these zones available now, and restrict them to "hunting only" for now, since (in story) we could say they are just now becoming terraformed, and so are not fit for mining YET.

Personally, I'd love to see some of these remaining zones come online. Would anyone else want to see these zones appear for hunting purposes only? If you would, have any suggestions on making these zones interesting as "wild outzones," besides newer and or harder animals (or more of the nasty ones we already have)?
    Last edited by Krystanova; Dec 2nd, 2002 at 22:57:43.
    Rhiannon "Krystanova" Pourier
    Xenobiologist and Explorer, 179 Adventurer
    Explorer 100%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 47%, Killer 0%

Visit Faunlore: Rubi-Kan Wildlife, the Anarchy Online bestiary!

Definitely

I'd definitely support this. In fact, to keep the rp justification for not having it open for land control yet, make this very early in the terraforming process for those zones - make it really alien.

<warning: off the cuff ideas that haven't been given much thought! Proceed at your own risk... >

Maybe have it count as a hostile environment, like a poisonous gas in the atmosphere that does damage every round (like lava, or the green slime in missions) unless you have a specific type of helmet (or buff, or something) that provides a filter or complete air supply, etc.

Some of the zones could be further along, closer to normal habitable zones, partially "tamed", so they could have lower level mobs and only need relatively cheap air filters - suitable for characters 30 to 120 maybe? The less terraformed zones could have MUCH nastier and higher level mobs, and require more expensive equipment that would provide a completely independent combat-grade air supply - suitalbe only for 120+.

Missions in these zones could be part of the terraforming process - things like "you have to kill this nest of slime worms that are causing problems for our terraformers", or fixing a damaged/malfunctioning terraforming machine, etc.

Outposts with whompas, grid terminals and insurance terminals would be relatively sparse, maybe looking like small domed camps used by the terraformers.

I really like these ideas. It would be great to encourage more players to try a little hunting instead of constant missions. They might even find that they like it

There is a lot of talk about hunting needing better rewards.

As an idea, in these new hunting areas additional credits could be paid each kill as a bounty. Each kill to could get a message like:

“Omni pay you a bonus bounty of XXX credits.”

This would keep with the idea of making these new areas safe for the teraformers and further encourage people to hunt.

Re: New zones for just hunting?

*agrees totally and utterly*
    Sulema Keaorata Fahrni

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision

Bump

wow, really cool ideas! i love to hunt. it breaks the mononity of missions, and it just feels cool to go out in the wild. however, i bet the designers will be a little busy with post-vw-release issues for a bit...

again, great ideas. fc, are you listening?

Preach it Krys!
    Nochnaja

Keep safe, and may the clans fear you.

Thanks, everyone. From what I can gather, these are the missing zones:

The Plains of Divaad
    The Reck*
    The Spur*
    The Bay of Rome*
    The Gangly Mountains
    The Road to Kapar
    Plains of Salt*
    Three Craters*
    Striate Rubi
    The Big One
    Nebula Mountains
    The Endless Plains

And at least four major city zones:

Kapar
    Sparta
    Jobe
    Beatrix Mine

Obviously, we already know that Jobe will be emerging. But, considering that there are in game maps for some of these zones (marked with stars), I would have to assume these zones are in a semi-complete state. Now that Notum Wars is out, and we're probably a good nine months from Shadowlands, why not introduce a few more mobs and one or two more zones in the next patch... or hell, make a "hunting and exploration" oriented "booster pack".

Personally, I feel that FC can have a real, legit storyline-fitting reason to introduce these new zones, and can even introduce rewards for "exploration" in these new zones, new mission types, etc. They could introduce cities like Sparta and Kapar down the road, as these zones fall into the "terraformed" regions.

Any devs have anything to say about these missing zones? What were you all thinking about this? Same for the community.... come on, lets make hunting and exploration REALLY worthwhile.

I think Funcom should open up a new zone as a Christmas present to players.

Make it a neutal controlled area so everyone can travel there without worrying about hostile guards. Dont have any land control there - but make it crawling with mobs to hunt!

No response from the world devs? Come on guys! I'm busy stocking up on radiation resistant armor.

TrialElciny
    Well i'm quite sure that those zones will be "The Shadowlands", so you'll have to wait until then to get to there 8)

Not certain they'll be in the Shadowlands. So far, the only confirmed zones in Shadowlands are Jobe and, well, the Shadowlands zones. The last I ever heard of the state of these missing zones is "eventually, if ever." The point of this thread is to remove that "if ever" part, because this'd be a great time to bring these zones in for hunting and exploration purposes, with a relation to the storyline.

One of the best ideas I've read in a while. Variety please, FC?

bumpski
    Randome. Proud General of Link Dead, a mercenary organization. Available for assistance with blitzing, raiding, tower defense, etc. Send a tell to any of our members for more info.

Bumpage!!

Come on Devs - make us hunters love you!

At least give us some zones to fill in the holes... So that you can walk from any zone on RK to another. Atm, BS is completely isolated... there FC can put in Bay of Rome. And unless I'm mistaken, The Big One fits between Mort and Avalon. Borealis need some more neighbourhoods too. And there's an unexplainable blank spot down by Andromeda...

Yeah, and make all of them hunting zones, with lots of spawns, camps, no towers, no outposts. Or maybe one outpost in each.

Well, here's what's "missing" that would be a logical inclusion, making the whole map as it stands continuous:

The Reck and The Bay of Rome: between Rome Green and Broken Shores

Three Craters: between Avalon and Mort

The Big One: between Wailing Wastes and Newland Desert

Plains of Salt: between Perpetual Wastelands and Deep Artery Valley

Not sure about that block between Lush and Andromeda. That's either clipped portions of the zones, since it seems to be all mountains, or it is The Spur. Without a dev at least letting us know, I can't say for certainty.

Originally posted by Krystanova
    [B]Thanks, everyone. From what I can gather, these are the missing zones:

The Plains of Divaad
    The Reck*
    The Spur*
    The Bay of Rome*
    The Gangly Mountains
    The Road to Kapar
    Plains of Salt*
    Three Craters*
    Striate Rubi
    The Big One
    Nebula Mountains
    The Endless Plains

And at least four major city zones:

Kapar
    Sparta
    Jobe
    Beatrix Mine
    I can't remember where I got this list any more... But mine looks like:

Sandsend
    Striate Rubi
    The Big One
    Dry Wastes
    Plains of Salt
    Three Craters
    Bay of Rome
    Coast of Peace
    Coasts of Winds
    Plains of Divaad
    Reck Peninsula
    Sea of Jobe
    The Reck
    The Spur
    Gangly Mountains
    Great Cathedral Park
    Nebula Mountains
    Road to Kapar

Jobe
    Kapar
    Sparta

Personally, I'd *love* to see more zones... Even moreso, I'd *love* to have a high-level equivalent to growing up in Tir County... Slowly hunting my way out from easy to hard for days.. A nice smooth progression with little downtime and lots of fun.

Oddly enough, anyone who's first char was a clanner probably holds the gaming experience of these times as the most memorable part of the game.

-Jayde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast