Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retail, pre-order, download and launch

Yeah, but problem is just. You get pvp-flagged for 4 hours when attacking a base without a base yourself.

So good luck doing that.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Originally posted by Noer
    which was too late obviously. What ever way you turn it, its Funcom's responsibility to get out the boxes to the distributors in time. Its not like it force majure or however you spell that thing. Like a plane with all the boxes crashed. Its plain and simple too late shipment.
    How the fark do you know it isn't? As far as FC knows, they shipped on time - this is evidenced by the fact that some stores had NW in stock on MONDAY... obviously, FC shipped a while ago, or those stores would not have NW. Other stores, however, didn't receive shipment. Why? Maybe a plane got stuck because of weather? Who knows, right now. FC is quite right in saying it is out of their hands.

Now, follow me if you will, I don't think they are quite right in saying they shouldn't change their gameplan any more than they have. Obviosuly, a vast majority of players have been left out of NW launch. Accordingly, a majority of tower sites should be locked out for a bit.

In any case, whining about someone getting an advantage is kinda silly, when you can very well start your own little crusade as soon as those towers hit 25%. I'm sure you can find someone on your side of the conflict who has NW to disable one of the whole 10 towers up right now, and if not, you can do a decent job of ganking the other tower setups.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Er...

Without going into details chances are you know which retail stores are going to be used.

You certainly don't control customs, but you probably have some shops you wish to see your product in and some where you'd prefer to cut your own throat than see the box on their shelves because of reputation.

What I (and from reading the board others) are eager to know is which shops you may have chosen to be sold by in our respective countries. Once we know where to look or not we're going to insult local retailers and camp their stores instead of the boards.
    Malusz, Fist of Chronos.
    Raised by the Guild of Meta-Physics.

Yeah, but problem is just. You get pvp-flagged for 4 hours when attacking a base without a base yourself.
    Number of members: 81
    Avg. level: 174 Max. level: 200

Wow, your guild is THAT afraid of attacking towers and being PvP vulnerable? Or is it just the titles that need to be protected? :-p

Originally posted by Razishlyat
    How the fark do you know it isn't? As far as FC knows, they shipped on time - this is evidenced by the fact that some stores had NW in stock on MONDAY... obviously, FC shipped a while ago, or those stores would not have NW. Other stores, however, didn't receive shipment. Why? Maybe a plane got stuck because of weather? Who knows, right now. FC is quite right in saying it is out of their hands.
    1(!) company has it of my knowledge. ONE - O_N_E. And its not even the official source. How on earth can you even assume they got it in time. Latest is people calling DR, who told them they wont even have the game at DR before 6/12. lol - might aswell cancel the order there. Faster to get the game by midgetpost or walk to Hobostan to get it.

You can try defend them all you want. The responsibility for the product is purely at Funcom. And they obviously don't want the responsibility since they don't want to act accordingly to the totally borked distribution.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Wow, your guild is THAT afraid of attacking towers and being PvP vulnerable? Or is it just the titles that need to be protected? :-p
    Okay, Razi went into carebear-mode. Useless to talk then. Our guild is _1_ of many.

1(!) company has it of my knowledge. ONE - O_N_E. And its not even the official source. How on earth can you even assume they got it in time. Latest is people calling DR, who told them they wont even have the game at DR before 6/12. lol - might aswell cancel the order there. Faster to get the game by midgetpost or walk to Hobostan to get it.

You can try defend them all you want. The responsibility for the product is purely at Funcom. And they obviously don't want the responsibility since they don't want to act accordingly to the totally borked distribution.
    Responsibility and FC should never be put in same sentance, paragraph or page !

Its a travesty
    Lordvold Fix MA's
    Flxme The ranged alt

"My theory is that this was probably done in some way that it was supposed to end at a given date like 1st January 2010. Back then there was of course no one that would imagine that AO would last past 2010" Eponyx

Well, I try to find logic, not whine and speculate.

I've heard as much that DR does have it, as that they don't. The truth is that you don't know the answer any more than a rock. The stores people call that they have to spell Notum to? Hah, yea, I'll trust them, since they're just looking at the stock and noticing that the computer says next week.

Still doesn't explain how some shops have been shipping it since Monday. Funny, that.

Re: Retail, pre-order, download and launch

Originally posted by Cz

This is very unfortunate, but nothing we can do anything about. We have shipped the boxes off to our distributors (both retail and pre-order), and have no control of international distribution, customs, transport routes, or local distribution.
    I'm sorry, but it is still your responsibility to supply your distributors with the boxes well before the launch date, just in order for them be able to handle possible delays that might occur. This is especially crucial when it comes to adding gameplay elements that basically comes down to first come, first serve like in NW.
    At least admit to being responsible instead of trying to blame external factors.

Basically, a download offer would undermine our retail partners' sales, and we're not going to do that.
    Ummm...what retail partners? As observed by many posts here it seems like a lot of stores won't even bother to stock the booster at all. Also, I would imagine that your pre-order option undermines retail sales just as much. It's funny how you are so willing to undermine your players confidence in you by not even allowing downloading after you have botched the Euro release so royally. You should reconsider where your true loyalties should be...

Some have suggested that we remove the ability to place towers until more players have the box. This is basically telling the customers who have bought the product that they can't use it (or at least the main feature in it), and not something we see as a valid option.
    What about the poor sods who pre-ordered and has in effect also paid for the product but are still not able to use it, due to you not supplying your distributors in time? By allowing downloading you could rectify that so easily and it would be the decent thing to do after this mess. Screw the retailers and realise that AO lives and dies by it's subscribers. They spread the good word about AO if treated fairly and respectfully, don't and they will discourage people from buying it. This release might hurt FC nearly as much as the initial release of AO since it just goes to show that you are totally unable to cater to your subscribers needs and refuse to take drastic steps to rectify something that you are ultimately responsible for.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Still doesn't explain how some shops have been shipping it since Monday. Funny, that.
    Ill show you why:

Originally posted by Cz
    The booster pack will not be in retail in France until January.
    Can you say sucky distribution network?

Okay, Razi went into carebear-mode. Useless to talk then. Our guild is _1_ of many.
    *lol*

How come you're afraid of being PvP tagged to protect the obviously SO important balance, and I'm not?

Oh, right, you're uber, and need to keep it that way? I can only imagine how hard it would be for your guild to get a mission and sit your chars in it for a few hours.

Jesus, Noer, help yourself, for once instead of insulting others when they point something out. :-p

Can you say sucky distribution network?
    Sucky distribution network.

I'm not excusing FC here. They certainly should have been more on the ball, and have more damage control to do. Of course, do you know WHY NW won't be in France until Jan?

Unhappy Hmmm....

Lack of responsibility ...

Examine the numbers. What is the percentage of your active players who have registered the booster? I would guess its under 5%. You would prefer to secure the advantage of those few who ordered from EBGames, than maintain a fair and level playing field for the majority of your customers.

I live in a major NE USA market, and NW is not in stores.
    - Szentasha
    Leader of Unity of the Rose

AOScripter 2.0 If you need a script, you need AOScripter!

*** Remove Social Armor Restrictions Today !!!

I liked Razi better when he was AO Basher, not Noer Basher. Why not stop being a fanboy and get us a download option, Razi?

Do something for the community instead of just playing your advance copy of NW.

Originally posted by Abunari

I liked Razi better when he was AO Basher, not Noer Basher. Why not stop being a fanboy and get us a download option, Razi?

Do something for the community instead of just playing your advance copy of NW.
    That's pretty presumptive of you, Abunari. I do not have an advanced copy of Notum Wars, and I do not have any copy of Notum Wars. I got screwed by this as much as anyone else.

I've looked at the downloadable option, and it isn't an option, because FunCom can not do it. Trust me, I've looked at it from every angle, and the best option the players have at this point is to take matters into their own hands and assure that no one gets an advantage over them by plunging in and holding off the people with Notum Wars from developing their land.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and I would hesitate to say that I'm quite a fanboy. I simply have looked at this and other probelms from as many angles as I can. Trust me, I've exchanged heated words with many a FunCom employee over things that the game has been and is sorely lacking. /me nerfs Fadinaway

I am trying to get to the bottom of why Noer thinks that fighting is a bad thing in this situation. I came at it from the wrong angle there. It was pretty stupid, but hell, sometimes it works. :-) I'll put it this way: From my conversations with Noer so far about this, my impression is that 1) He is afraid of losing his PvP title by being ** ganked, and 2) He thinks I'm a fluffy bipedal bear with a magical shape on my tummy. I'd respect someone who led his or her troops into combat effectively *far* more than someone with a PvP title. I hope that Noer can come up with another reason that he doesn't want to play the game, but that's as far as I can see.

I'll say this much: Arguing with FC about delaying NW is going to end up being pretty futile, and your time would be better spend planning on how to take out the towers that are being built.

I am affraid of loosing my title? rofl

Guess I can't fall asleep in 2ho anymore then. Guess you need to research a bit more on that part.

Re: Retail, pre-order, download and launch

Originally posted by Cz
    [B]I see some questions about these topics, and would like to give you some feedback on them.

Retail and pre-order
    Many retail stores, especially in Europe, do not have the Notum Wars on the shelves yet. This is very unfortunate, but nothing we can do anything about. We have shipped the boxes off to our distributors (both retail and pre-order), and have no control of international distribution, customs, transport routes, or local distribution.
    This is true. And this are also no news. So FC has known this. Its simply a dishonest to blame the distribution for it. Its all about FC. FC had the power to wait with the NW activition till next week, till the majority had a chance to get it. But once again, a company proved their focus on the US market and their handling of europe and the rest of the world as second class. Its a shame that a european company does it too. And of course for the US market FC delays the activation, but not for the rest of the world. As if the Americans wouldn't buy it, if it was not activated today. Its simply a shame. I did expect this from Verant, not from Funcom. :-(

btw: Can you please explain, how it's possible that a german retailer has US imported copys for sale here, now, today? So its the fault of the european distribution, they got their copys to late?

The point is that you shouldnt _have_ to watchdog an area and keep taking down the build teams/towers as they are built FOR A WEEK just to give you a fair chance to build there, as you should have been able to go and build from the same starting point as everyone else.

Besides which, even if you were prepared to do this, a large multi-time-zone guild has a massive advantage because they can attempt to build practically 24/7.

Once a tower is up its much harder to build there than if the area was unclaimed. Now if you were slow off the mark and another guild beat you to it then thats tough, but since we have an artificial restriction preventing us from building, those that can build have an unfair advantage.

I dont think people will spend time planning towers and attacks, I think they will spend more time finding another company to give their money to
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

That's pretty presumptive of you, Abunari. I do not have an advanced copy of Notum Wars, and I do not have any copy of Notum Wars. I got screwed by this as much as anyone else.
    I find it very difficult to reconcile the above statement with your previous statement that your position secured for you an advanced key and that you suggest that others "try" the same.

I think the presumption is all yours. I see Noer's point perfectly.

Without having towers of your own, how are you participating? The 4 hour penalty is to prevent tower-less raiders from just destroying towers and not giving anyone the ability to retaliate in the same way. Yet that is the situation that your promoting: griefing.

I want to defend my towers. I want to attack towers while risking attack on my towers. I don't want to run a guild of towerless griefers who have to log alts in for 4 hours after a raid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast