Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't care about PvP.

Originally posted by wrecklass
    Really, when? The only PvP I have encountered in Rubi-ka is running missions and getting rooted and ganked by someone while I am in my car and unable to defend myself. I call that non-consensual. Maybe that is what you call "tactics."
    You dont whine when a level 150 NPC Controlled Mob kills you, do you? Hell, you'd even expect it if it was opposing sided.

No.

Case closed. I mean really.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Really, when? The only PvP I have encountered in Rubi-ka is running missions and getting rooted and ganked by someone while I am in my car and unable to defend myself. I call that non-consensual. Maybe that is what you call "tactics."
    Well, 99% of PvPers seem to be in it for the win and only the win...won't fight if they might lose, and become incensed if they lose. Easiest way to get a win-fix is to resort to non-consensual PvP and other grief. Read the posts by most PvP forum posters (and in this thread) and contrast them to the anti-PvP posters for maturity and literacy (not to mention lack of doodish/gangstah names). The whole concept of PvP lends itself to grief, antagonism and immaturity...its a hallmark of the majority of their community.

Griefers are everywhere in this game, and that is all I see of PvP. Sorry to burst your bubble of great battles with everyone running around forming grand strategies and perfect tactics. What I see is people standing around shooting and occasionally hitting the heal packs or nano programs. Tactics - ROFL!
    Well, about as much tactics as Quake (twitch twitch twitch...Oh, I twitch faster, I've got better tactics!).

Absolutely! Bottom line: that is all it ever is in these games.
    Agreed! These games start out with the concept of PvP as related to the storyline, then the clowns that are keeping score / out to prove who is 'better' / just want to piss folks off flood in under the banner of PvP and the storyline and original purpose of PvP gets lost.

Frankly, here's a question for the PvP fanatics (one that has been asked in other games and for which I've never read a satisfactory answer).

Q: If PvP is so popular, as popular as you claim it to be in AO, why not allow a PERMANENT PvP Switch (as in cannot attack or cast beneficial nano's on PvPers)?

I can answer it for them....they wouldn't have anyone to grief. There is no reason NOT to let players opt-out (if PvP is indeed popular), for example...

1. If PvP were truly popular, they woudn't need the targets.
    2. If no-PvP flagged players couldn't attack/buff, there would be no interference.
    3. If no-PvP flagged characters couldn't enter PvP dungeons (aka, Camelot) or arenas.

Nope, no reason other than they wouldn't have easy kills to titlehug and folks to annoy. PvPer == Griefer (for 99.9% of them, I have met a few RP PvPers and they were really cool folks).

Oh and Gamavir, your reply to the other PvPer really hit the nail on the head. The average PvPer has an attitude problem, which is why they meet so much resistance. Most non-PvPers are willing to leave them alone and not interfere with their battles, but most PvPers are not willing to leave the non-PvPers alone to run missions. And they wonder why many of us really dislike PvP?

Relarin
    This space intentionally left blank

Relarin == pompus care bear

I like pvp and I am not a d00d.

I am 32 years old.

I have a job as a professional engineer (mechanical).

I work as a defense contractor trying to keep America free by designing technology to observe potentially dangerous people in this world.

But according to you because I like pvp I am an immature idiot without the ability to contrive a complete sentence?

lol
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Originally posted by Yazule
    Relarin == pompus care bear
    [/B]
    Thank you! It is nice to have one's talent's noticed.

Originally posted by Yazule
    But according to you because I like pvp I am an immature idiot without the ability to contrive a complete sentence?

lol

No, but I do hope for our sake as a nation your 'defense contractor' job does not require reading comprehension skills.

Apparently you missed the various qualifying statements 'most' 'average' '99.9%', you didn't understand their meaning or you were so incensed someone didn't like PvP and was willing to say why they didn't that you just had to ignore the qualifiers in order to complain. Not all PvPers are griefers, just the VAST, VAST majority of them...there are some good ones out there trying to co-exist (such as the PvPer I mentioned that told another PvPer his attitude was one reason for problems), they just get shouted down by folks the more militant PvP elements.

As a first impression, I would classify you as a dood based on your reply and choice of terminology (aka, carebear and lol ... classic doodisms) as well as lack of a refutation of one of my main points (that the majority of the PvP forum posts are rather...rude...and this tends to be the majority of PvPers <note, another qualifying statement - the majority, not all>) nor did you answer my question as to why PvPers cannot stand to let non-PvPers opt-out permanently if PvP has such a great following.

No, you did the typical PvPer 'carebear' routine and taking offense without speaking to the points. Perhaps a more, ah, intellectual PvPer would like to try to explain WHY the majority of the PvPers I have encountered ingame and on the forums are:

A. Why most (not all) PvPers are (to put it as politely as I can) raving maniacs with limited concern for others enjoyment of the game?
    B. Why while a non-PvPer can happily not interfere with a PvP battle, most PvPer feel obligated to jump a non-PvP player going to/from a mission?
    C. Why the ganks, insults ingame and on boards, as well as general doodish names / behavior on the PvP forums (and they do read like a group of 12 year olds arguing most of the time) is tolerated if PvP is such a mature pursuit?
    D. Why can't you just kill each other? Why must you involve those that only PvM...is it the easy kills for titles? Fear of losing?

And the big question....

Why it would hurt PvP (other than removing non-PvPers as easy titles/targets of grief) to let non-PvPers opt-out IF they were unable to interfere with PvP via nano's, items or skills permanently?

I don't want to destroy PvP...have fun, knock yourself out shooting things...however with PvP spreading wider and wider into non-PvP zones via the HoHum Wars (and with PvP-induced changes to the rules screwing up PvM) I wish to indicate to Funcom via posting that I do NOT wish to be involved.

Can PvP stand on its own without a supply of easy kills for the majority of PvPers? Personally, I don't think it can...which is why the PvP side screams so LOUDLY at the idea of letting the non-PvPers opt-out.

Relarin

Well, 99% of PvPers seem to be in it for the win and only the win...won't fight if they might lose, and become incensed if they lose. Easiest way to get a win-fix is to resort to non-consensual PvP and other grief. Read the posts by most PvP forum posters (and in this thread) and contrast them to the anti-PvP posters for maturity and literacy (not to mention lack of doodish/gangstah names). The whole concept of PvP lends itself to grief, antagonism and immaturity...its a hallmark of the majority of their community

Alienate, stereotype and insult the PvP community.
    That's not a very effective way get your point across.

I can't argue that some players who partake in PvP are immature.
    I can't argue that some are griefers.

If you have never taken part in 'real' PvP, you can only come up with an ignorant, uninformed opinion.

Like others on this forum, I'll assume that your only experience in PvP is getting ganked while being careless in a 25% zone or watching noobs in the arena.
    If you put yourself in a position to get ganked in a 25% zone, perhaps you deserve to learn a lesson.

Before I had any interest in PvP, I found myself in 0-25% quite frequently. If I was there for a mission, I would always check outside before I completed it. If I was passing through, I would always fly 60m or higher. If I was in a car or on foot, I'd be constantly tabbing for hostiles and traveling close to zone lines.
    There are precautions you can take to prevent getting ganked.

If you refuse to take precautions, you run the risk of getting ganked and really have noone to blame but yourself.

As for PvP'rs wanting to win. well that's only logical.
    If you're outnumbered or outgunned, retreat is an attractive option. However, there can be a lot of fun in losing... and taking a few others down as you're getting your ass kicked can have it's rewards.

Your point on griefing and ganking is unfounded.
    Funcom has gone to great lengths making AO grief-free.
    They have removed all mayhem zones.
    They have removed most 25% zones (the Stret Easts are the only full 25% zones still in game).
    Only pockets of 25% suppression remain in 3 other zones.

You know you can experience 95% of what AO has to offer without ever entering a PvP area.

Relarin, you should lose your prejudice against the PvP community. Your ignorance of PvP nullifies all of your points.

Originally posted by Miir
    Alienate, stereotype and insult the PvP community.
    That's not a very effective way get your point across.
    Just imitating the posting style of most in the PvP forum. And I am not trying to get a point across to most PvPers...they not only won't get it but won't realize there is anything there to be gotten. However, there are a few that might actually be open to seeing other points of view...and there is Funcom itself.

I can't argue that some players who partake in PvP are immature.
    I can't argue that some are griefers.
    Ah, at last someone with a bit of honesty! To hear most tell it, PvP is made up of all honorable individuals grown bored with missions that wouldn't THINK of ganking...least that is the impression I get from PvP defenders.

Not all RPers are folks I'd want to hang out with either, RP/PvM has its share of immature folks. And I'll admit that up front.

If you have never taken part in 'real' PvP, you can only come up with an ignorant, uninformed opinion.
    Sorry, I don't buy that elitist attitude. I don't have to climb mountains to know I don't want to. I don't have to skydive to know I don't want to. I don't have to PvP to know that I don't want to.

And where is this mystical 'real' PvP? Tell you what, Miir, why don't you and the other 'real' PvPers start cleaning up your house of the immature and the griefers you mentioned? Nail a few of these titlehugging clowns that hang out near mission areas, popular zone lines, etc and wait for a gank chance? Clean house a bit.

Like others on this forum, I'll assume that your only experience in PvP is getting ganked while being careless in a 25% zone or watching noobs in the arena.
    The former is PvP, just as much as any mass battle, however unsavory it might be. You're trying to distance what you call PvP from what is a gank.

If you put yourself in a position to get ganked in a 25% zone, perhaps you deserve to learn a lesson.
    No, no one who is not actively looking for a fight deserves to get ganked due to inexperience or a moment's inattention. There are no lessons learned from that, other than 'That PvPer is a <fill in your favorite insult here>'. A lesson would be learned IF the person were looking for a fight, prepared for a fight, and LOST...but there is little to learn from 'Instakill' or 'root' 'drain' 'kill' that lasts under 10 seconds.

Before I had any interest in PvP, I found myself in 0-25% quite frequently. If I was there for a mission, I would always check outside before I completed it. If I was passing through, I would always fly 60m or higher. If I was in a car or on foot, I'd be constantly tabbing for hostiles and traveling close to zone lines.
    There are precautions you can take to prevent getting ganked.
    Precations that, due to random chance, don't always work. Until either the precautions are 100% or PvPers clean up their own, then those getting ganked are entitled to dislike PvP. My PvMing in 75% zones in NO WAY impacts a PvPer passing through and his passing through doesn't affect me. Why do they feel obligated to gank folks going to missions?

I avoid political zones like the plague that they are....but it gets damn old when you start getting 2-3 of 5 missions in places like that and INVARIABLY the item you can use is in a political zone.

If you refuse to take precautions, you run the risk of getting ganked and really have noone to blame but yourself.
    And if you take precations and still get ganked, you got a PvPer to blame (and funcom for sticking missions in PvP areas).

As for PvP'rs wanting to win. well that's only logical.
    If you're outnumbered or outgunned, retreat is an attractive option. However, there can be a lot of fun in losing... and taking a few others down as you're getting your ass kicked can have it's rewards.
    There is a difference between 'wanting to win' and 'taking no chances at losing by ganking folks that can't / won't fight back', wouldn't you say?

Your point on griefing and ganking is unfounded.
    Funcom has gone to great lengths making AO grief-free.
    They have removed all mayhem zones.
    They have removed most 25% zones (the Stret Easts are the only full 25% zones still in game).
    Only pockets of 25% suppression remain in 3 other zones.
    In your opinion. But to myself, as a non-PvPer, they haven't went far enough.

You know you can experience 95% of what AO has to offer without ever entering a PvP area.
    Personally, I support the idea of a PERMANENT no-PvP flag and turning all of Rubi-Ka into a political zone....for those without the flag. Clan wants to raid Omni-Trade...cool...just that they will ONLY be able to fight those that want to fight. Same if OT decides to make a run on Athen. Give PvPers the option of big raids on the enemy strongholds, battles to defend the home territory, etc. BUT it also would let those totally uninterested in PvP opt-out of the mayhem.

Of course, to support this fairly there would have to be changes to the system to prevent buffing and healing of PvPers by flagged non-PvPers, make non-PvPers the first to be relocated with this new loadbalancing, block non-PvPers from dungeons like Camelot that are PvP-oriented (while providing a non-PvP alternative), etc. I'd fully support this. That way, we'd both get what we want....PvP anywhere, anytime for those inclined that way and missions/RP only for those of us inclined to less competative forms of play.

Relarin, you should lose your prejudice against the PvP community. Your ignorance of PvP nullifies all of your points.
    A prejudice learned in text-based MUD's, Ultima Online, EverQuest (tried PvP servers thinking race and deity wars might be interesting in an otherwise dull game like EQ)....in EVERY game, PvPers were the same...ganking the non-PvPer/lower level PvPer while sanctimoniously telling us things like 'Your ignorane of PvP nullifies all of your points'. (translation: I like PvP and you don't so I'm right and you're wrong). When PvPers change, my attitude about PvP will change.

And Miir, except for the comment at the end, thanks for an intelligent post!

Relarin.
    Last edited by Relarin; Dec 4th, 2002 at 18:53:17.

Sorry, I don't buy that elitist attitude. I don't have to climb mountains to know I don't want to. I don't have to skydive to know I don't want to. I don't have to PvP to know that I don't want to.

If you are completely ignorant of it, how can your opinion be valid?

If I was to say that all Acura drivers were Asian and they souped them up, tinted their windows and street raced.... I would look like an ignorant, prejudice moron.

Get it?

And where is this mystical 'real' PvP?

Camelot, 2ho, Tower fights.
    Certainly not MMD and the Arenas.

The former is PvP, just as much as any mass battle

Ganking is not PvP.
    It's griefing.
    It's Grifer vs Unwilling participant.

no one who is not actively looking for a fight deserves to get ganked due to inexperience or a moment's inattention

Ignorance is never an excuse.
    Stupidity is never an excuse.

If you enter a PvP area, you must EXPECT that someone will try to attack you.

but there is little to learn from 'Instakill' or 'root' 'drain' 'kill' that lasts under 10 seconds.

Once again, your ignorance shines through.
    Where are the insta-kills?
    Where are the fights that last under 10 seconds?

You conveniently ignore all the anti-gank features Funcom has implemented. You also ignore the steps Funcom has taken to eliminate non-consensual PvP.

Currently, only player ignorance or stupidity will result in a non-consensual PvP encounter.

Browse the forums.
    Do you see people screaming and complaining about getting 'ganked'?
    When was the last time you saw a thread like that in any forum?

And if you take precations and still get ganked, you got a PvPer to blame (and funcom for sticking missions in PvP areas).

When was the last time you got ganked?
    What were the circumstances?
    Who was the player involved?

Noone is FORCING to take missions in political zones.
    When you take a mission in a 25% zone, you know the risks.
    It's the same as taking a mission in a high level zone with lvl 200+ mobs outside.

Should AO be 100% risk free?

There is a difference between 'wanting to win' and 'taking no chances at losing by ganking folks that can't / won't fight back', wouldn't you say?

'Ganking' seems to be your only arguement.
    I'm sure you'll find that most PvP'ers are anti grief/gank as well.

translation: I like PvP and you don't so I'm right and you're wrong

No, it means:
    I take part in PvP and you don't. By virtue of exposure and first hand knowledge, I am more qualified to make informed comments about PvP.

The fact remains that AO was born of conflict.
    Clan Vs Omni.
    The majorty of the game was 0-25% zones.

In the past year, Funcom 'care bear'd' AO to the point where it was virtually a non PvP game.

If a PvP switch was enabled, it would have to be an 'all or nothing' deal.
    You choose, when you create your character if you want to be PvP enabled.
    There can be no switching done once you enter the newbie backyard.
    There can be no receiving Side XP bonus, tower bonuses or anything else related to Notum wars.

The only problem with that would be the massive burnout rate of players with little to do when they reach TL5 caps...

Apparently you missed the various qualifying statements 'most' 'average' '99.9%', you didn't understand their meaning or you were so incensed someone didn't like PvP and was willing to say why they didn't that you just had to ignore the qualifiers in order to complain. Not all PvPers are griefers, just the VAST, VAST majority of them...there are some good ones out there trying to co-exist (such as the PvPer I mentioned that told another PvPer his attitude was one reason for problems), they just get shouted down by folks the more militant PvP elements.
    well again I will say it

POMPUS CAREBEAR

you say "most" and "average" and "99.9%"

how many pvpers have you talked to? apparently about 5% of them at MOST. here is a standard "solo" pvp bout (most of your "griefers" would fit into this catagory as Uber dudes want titles and dont team a lot)

Yazule: Good fight!
    other guy: yeah, that XXXX you did was pretty mean
    Yazule: yeah, it is nice but doc's suck at low levels, what kind of weapon you using
    other guy: *shows Item* just got it out of OE
    Yazule: cool, I just dumped in my Q 125 plants
    other guy: neat, well see ya round

that is for my doc who is 70ish fighting SUPER TWINKS.. who "you" would probably call a griefer

Now here is what probably happens with you

Relarin : WTH, I didnt attack you ... you ganker pvp monster (put your words of "wisdom" here)
    other guy: hey man, it is war
    Relarin : god I hate your type, loser
    other guy: I pwn j00!!! (he does this because you are being a sore loser and he has given up on talking to you)

now add the banter of a carebear being smack talked by some guy who cant stand to be sent tells about how he ganked someone (if you are in a 0-25% zone you are fair game, no ganking can occur as you know the rules as well as anyone).

You get what you give.

you say "most", "99%" ... you just included me, as I talk to a lot of pvers and I am nothing special meaning if you say 99% I have to ASSUME you must mean me too.

as far as my reading comprehension it is just fine, and when you are an engineer you never exagerate things like you are in your posts or you get laughed at. 99% is the same as I AM POSITIVE... ALL OF THEM... there is no 100% in my world because it is the real world.

I sure hope your job does not require research or objectivity or else I really feel for your employer.

get off your high horse

get a clue

MANY PEOPLE PVP, MOST ARE NICE PEOPLE

you should go play eq or maybe sims online, this game does not seem to be fore you.
    Last edited by Yazule; Dec 4th, 2002 at 19:35:12.

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

'Ganking' seems to be your only arguement.
    I'm sure you'll find that most PvP'ers are anti grief/gank as well.
    ALL of the PvPers I have been exposed to are gankers. Your elitist idea of PvP holds absolutely no water Miir.

If a PvP switch was enabled, it would have to be an 'all or nothing' deal.
    You choose, when you create your character if you want to be PvP enabled.
    There can be no switching done once you enter the newbie backyard.
    There can be no receiving Side XP bonus, tower bonuses or anything else related to Notum wars.
    I vote for that idea! No problem for me what so ever. When can it be implemented?

The only problem with that would be the massive burnout rate of players with little to do when they reach TL5 caps...
    So you agree that if more people set a non-PVP flag you won't have as many targets? Boo-effing-hoo.

Let the folks who dislike PvP play their game and you play yours. I for one have no intentions to playing long enough to get burnt out. After my three months is up I am already planning to cancle the account because AO holds nothing of interest to me past the exploring of zones. Once I have a Yalm, I'll pretty much be done with it. So I won't be around as a target either way will I?

ALL of the PvPers I have been exposed to are gankers. Your elitist idea of PvP holds absolutely no water Miir.
    if you refuse to pvp then the only people that will pvp you are gankers, does that mean that most pvpers are gankers? no.

just for an experiment, go to the arena where there are a lot of pvpers, go sit in the 0% zone and count how many people there are, then count how many people gank you.

you will find that the concept that all are gankers will be dispelled very fast.

after getting ganked, dont even grab your stuff, go sit there again in the arena in res, I bet you are fully healed by someone within 45 seconds... sound like gankers? no...

then you will get ganked, by the SAME GANKER... nobody else. I have spent hours in the arena with no more than tells "want to duel".. I say no they go away.

*shrug*

*edit*

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you agree that if more people set a non-PVP flag you won't have as many targets? Boo-effing-hoo.
    actually what she is saying is that people burnt out from pvm will not be able to pvp and will realize how little there is to do for them in the high end game.

/edit
    Last edited by Yazule; Dec 4th, 2002 at 22:17:08.

ROFLOL

ALL of the PvPers I have been exposed to are gankers.

Under what circumstances were you ganked?
    What zone?
    Did you take precautions to avoid a situation that left you open to attack?

Irrespective of all that, if you don't actively PvP, you are going to have no interaction with the PvP community in AO.
    Ganking != PvP

That comment shows how ignorant you really are about PvP.

Wink Miir left without a response?!

That comment shows how ignorant you really are about PvP.
    Give it up Miir you don't have a response because it scares the heck out of you that some people may set this flag and you have fewer people to play with. If I don't play, or if I play and have this flag set to non-pvp you have lost exactly the same number of victims.

Does that really bother you so much that it leaves you speechless?

Answer the question, what problem do you have with people being allowed to avoid PvP? I think you would jump at this because then they can set all of Rubi-Ka to 0% suppresion gas and the PvPers can go nuts, while the non-PvPers won't be bothered by it, and Funcom keeps more people. Pure win-win situation.

Why does that scare you?

Re: Re: Re: I don't care about PvP.

Originally posted by Gamavir

So, you'd kill a fellow Clanner just because he doesn't agree with you?

It's attitudes like this that turn off non PvPers in my opinion. And yes, I do like to PvP.

Mayhaps Turin, you should be more constructive, rather than hostile. It'd do all of us that like to PvP a whole hell of a lot more good.
    It was meant as a joke. Loosen up a bit buddy. Hence the smiley at the end of it.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Re: Miir left without a response?!

Give it up Miir you don't have a response because it scares the heck out of you that some people may set this flag and you have fewer people to play with. If I don't play, or if I play and have this flag set to non-pvp you have lost exactly the same number of victims.

Does that really bother you so much that it leaves you speechless?

Answer the question, what problem do you have with people being allowed to avoid PvP? I think you would jump at this because then they can set all of Rubi-Ka to 0% suppresion gas and the PvPers can go nuts, while the non-PvPers won't be bothered by it, and Funcom keeps more people. Pure win-win situation.

Why does that scare you?
    Save your gradeschool psychoanalysys for the pubescent, testosterone filled 14 year old gankers that we all dislike.

Having a non-reversable PvP switch may seem like a great idea at your level... but if you have any intention to level up and partake in PvP, you will most likely regret that choice.

But then again, maybe Funcom might like that. You'll have to re-roll and level up all over again with a PvP enabled character.

Having all of Rubi-Ka 0% suppression is a silly idea.
    I like having the option to avoid PvP if I want to. It's not an issue steering clear of the PvP areas.

Can you deny that funcom has done a good job of cracking down on griefers and making PvP completely optional?

Im curious as to why you didn't answer my questions in my last post:

Under what circumstances were you ganked?
    What zone?
    Did you take precautions to avoid a situation that left you open to attack?
    Maybe you intentionally put yourself in situations, leaving yourself open to attack in PvP areas just so you will have fuel to fire your 'anti-pvp' crusade.
    Last edited by Miir; Dec 5th, 2002 at 17:32:39.

Well, I don't personally partake in PVP because of extreme imbalance. I've been completely crushed as an engineer by every other class, people 20 levels lower have mopped the floor with me. No, I'm not an ultra idiot with ql 20 cyber armour at lvl 109.

I tried to partake in a tower battle. I charged in, fully buffed and with a red warbot against an enforcer about 3 levels higher, already at 2/3rds of his health. Can you guess what happened? After about three seconds, I tried to escape. I almost got away by trying to swim off down a convenient river, but not quite.

Because of this example, I think that PVP has a fundamental flaw. Balance, or rather the lack thereof. I'm sick of being attacked by folk who are OE'd to hell and back with a bagillion credits, an insane armour rating, and damage that rivals that of the mobs that I tackle in PVM.

I don't think there should be a flag to show PVP vs. Non- PVP. There's a simple thing to do that could solve this really. Make anyone that wants to PvP with you, have to ask. I'm thinking of a toggle button that both have to press, operating in the same way as trading does.

In regards to a team battle or tower battle, some sort of scheme like a declaration of offence would work. Ex. You declare offence, and you are able to attack people, and be attacked. If you declare neutrality, you aren't able to attack or be attacked.

I think that'd solve things. If not, then forgive my ignorance.
    Ernest "Zane0" Bunke - Equipment - Perks
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Fix 200+ Engineer Slayers

I think that PVP has a fundamental flaw. Balance, or rather the lack thereof. I'm sick of being attacked by folk who are OE'd to hell and back with a bagillion credits, an insane armour rating, and damage that rivals that of the mobs that I tackle in PVM.

That's the frustration of PvP at lower levels.

Once you get over 150, OE is non existant.
    With a few buffs, everyone can equip QL200 gear.
    The playing feild starts to even out.
    Everyone has similar AC.
    Everyone does similar damage.
    Everyone has similar gear.

To add insult to injury, Engies really aren't a great PvP profession... probably the worst, actually.
    Keep your signature to an absolute maximum of 8-10 lines, normal text size, and don’t overdo the colors and smileys. This is to prevent signatures from taking the focus away from the posts / threads. Extreme signatures will be deleted.

To truly add insult to injury, there isn't much to do with my projected class "advantage", trade skills. I don't have 80 mill to buy a hard armour disk, and I don't have the fanatacism to get one. Oh wait, I have one thing... er, does anyone with a baseball bat want their weapon augmented? :P

Yeah, I've heard about the evening out at around 150. Whoop! Only 40 more levels until I have a remote chance at fighting people!

Anyways, enough of my complaining. I like the concept of PvP, and I think that it has an essential role in resolving the story. In my opinion though, it's pointless for a good third of the classes until they get to a super level. Perhaps lower level people (below 100?) could get some sort of anti-gank tool of sorts. Apparantly at the high levels, hit points are pretty high, reducing the chance of a successful ganking.
    Last edited by Zane0; Dec 6th, 2002 at 00:32:20.
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Originally posted by Zane0
    To truly add insult to injury, there isn't much to do with my projected class "advantage", trade skills. I don't have 80 mill to buy a hard armour disk, and I don't have the fanatacism to get one. Oh wait, I have one thing... er, does anyone with a baseball bat want their weapon augmented? :P

Yeah, I've heard about the evening out at around 150. Whoop! Only 40 more levels until I have a remote chance at fighting people!

Anyways, enough of my complaining. I like the concept of PvP, and I think that it has an essential role in resolving the story. In my opinion though, it's pointless for a good third of the classes until they get to a super level. Perhaps lower level people (below 100?) could get some sort of anti-gank tool of sorts. Apparantly at the high levels, hit points are pretty high, reducing the chance of a successful ganking.
    As an Engy, it will always be pointless. Even with your new nanos. I wish ity were differant. There is not a single Engy I cant destroy I dont think.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Thanks for the support (jk)
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Re: Re: Miir left without a response?!

Save your gradeschool psychoanalysys for the pubescent, testosterone filled 14 year old gankers that we all dislike.
    Extraordinary vocabulary skills there Miir. The college education is beginning to pay off!

Having a non-reversable PvP switch may seem like a great idea at your level... but if you have any intention to level up and partake in PvP, you will most likely regret that choice.

But then again, maybe Funcom might like that. You'll have to re-roll and level up all over again with a PvP enabled character.
    Not gonna happen in my case, as I said, I play other games for PvP and AO won't keep my interest for more than a few months.

In any event, we are all adults here, so as long as we know the switch is permanent (not that it would have to be) and what the consequences are, that would be great.

Can you deny that funcom has done a good job of cracking down on griefers and making PvP completely optional?
    Absolutely.

Im curious as to why you didn't answer my questions in my last post:

Maybe you intentionally put yourself in situations, leaving yourself open to attack in PvP areas just so you will have fuel to fire your 'anti-pvp' crusade.
    Not at all, but one does get missions in these areas that have rewards that just cannot be ignored. That gets frustrating as FC figures this will introduce more of this extraordinary PvP you suggest is going on.

I take every precaution, but gankers are known to sit around the mission doors waiting for folks to emerge. They know we have to come out at some point, and I failed to choose a class that can just teleport back home. Popping up in a car makes me a choice target for the real cowards.

The switch would just enhance some of our play experiences, and since we would have to choose it up front, I don't see any argument for why it would be a bad idea. Taking the pure business side of this, if more people would like to play AO, it seems FC would be better off for it as well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast