Thread: Is that true, there is a graphic update with NW ?

Is that true, there is a graphic update with NW ?

??
    Aguitha, Engineer
    Cratisha, Bureaucrat

Yes, its really funky too :-)
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Funky as in good and useful, or just eyecandy? Has the graphics engine undergone rewriting? I.e. less disktrashing?

The only real update to the graphics that are apparent from the screenies is the new nightsky and the airtraffic.
    Some of the effects from the towers might also be ****ed up for NW, but they have not rewritten the graphics engine so it's just eyecandy.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Yeah, what I thought. I guess I'll wait & see, though. I'm on 1Mbit with a Gforce 4 4600, so it needs to be something with the games graphics engine that's trashing things about, not my network connection or hardware...-

Originally posted by Slapster
    Yeah, what I thought. I guess I'll wait & see, though. I'm on 1Mbit with a Gforce 4 4600, so it needs to be something with the games graphics engine that's trashing things about, not my network connection or hardware...-
    Your lag is not real lag!

:-) <j/k>
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

No, it's badly coded server-client interaction "lag" or graphics engine "lag"

That's why I'm putting "lag" in quotes. Like "lag" as in I like to call it "lag" because there's no real name for it other than "lag". In quotes.

The network isn't the problem. My hardware isn't the problem. It *HAS* to be the coding of the gfx engine or something funky going on between client and server.

No, it's badly coded server-client interaction "lag" or graphics engine "lag"

That's why I'm putting "lag" in quotes. Like "lag" as in I like to call it "lag" because there's no real name for it other than "lag". In quotes.

The network isn't the problem. My hardware isn't the problem. It *HAS* to be the coding of the gfx engine or something funky going on between client and server.
    Add a bunch of people on modem too, please.

It is not FC fault at all. The one to blame is the crappy ISP that Funcom rents its server bandwith from.

Originally posted by Dominata
    The only real update to the graphics that are apparent from the screenies is the new nightsky and the airtraffic.
    Some of the effects from the towers might also be ****ed up for NW, but they have not rewritten the graphics engine so it's just eyecandy.
    There's also some more distant scenery stuff, like from omni forest and greater omni forest, you can see omni-1 in the distance.
    Also, you can see the other parts of omni-1 from omni-trade, tht kind of stuff.

Well, that sounds pretty nice. I believe it was said ShadowLands has a full graphics upgrade. So this is a nice touch. I hope.
    0.o
    Jenslove-165
    Born-July 3rd, 2001

Finally got me a naner suit...

Account Created - 2001-06-28 03:53:22

Jenslove is not, has never been, and will never be Ebayed. So stop harrassing me.

Originally posted by Real Mean Destructiva

It is not FC fault at all. The one to blame is the crappy ISP that Funcom rents its server bandwith from.
    Exactly how does this not make it Funcom's fault?
    It's Funcom's responsibility to make the game run smooth so they should get the best ISP possible and if they aren't it is indeed their fault.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

If you do a traceroute to lh.d1.funcom.com (which is the login server for Atlantean/RK1 - find out by typing "netstat" in a cmd window), you'll see that that server, atleast, is located at Exodus. Exodus is NOT a crappy ISP. They serve customers like MSNBC, Microsoft, CNN, Yahoo... Etc.

So this isn't the problem at all. There's something else going on.

Edit : You *USED* to be able to see that it was exodus (Now Cable & Wireless. I.e. it's now cw.net).

if this is just a small graphic update that makes the game abit faster or nicer why the hell wont fc update it in the current game?!?!
    if we wanna play smoother we need to buy the booster???

Exactly how does this not make it Funcom's fault?
    It's Funcom's responsibility to make the game run smooth so they should get the best ISP possible and if they aren't it is indeed their fault.
    I disagree, because as there is also a few of factors there too that you don't to mention either because you didn't know or don't want to mention, such as your ISP and what time it is.

For one, I live in Europe and AO runs flawlessly (lagspikes exist and if you blame FC for that, you need professional help) and the servers are in the US hence there is other factors than "Funcom's responsibility".

If you do a traceroute to lh.d1.funcom.com (which is the login server for Atlantean/RK1 - find out by typing "netstat" in a cmd window), you'll see that that server, atleast, is located at Exodus. Exodus is NOT a crappy ISP. They serve customers like MSNBC, Microsoft, CNN, Yahoo... Etc.

So this isn't the problem at all. There's something else going on.

Edit : You *USED* to be able to see that it was exodus (Now Cable & Wireless. I.e. it's now cw.net).
    Ahhhhh, they service msn and yahoo? Well this explains ALOT. I've been having those sites in particular bob up and down like a---well you know what I mean--for the past couple of weeks. When they do work, they are sometimes slower than hell.
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Originally posted by Real Mean Destructiva

I disagree, because as there is also a few of factors there too that you don't to mention either because you didn't know or don't want to mention, such as your ISP and what time it is.

For one, I live in Europe and AO runs flawlessly (lagspikes exist and if you blame FC for that, you need professional help) and the servers are in the US hence there is other factors than "Funcom's responsibility".

Ummm...hello???

I was making a comment to your post, where you said that it wasn't Funcom's fault, but their crappy ISP... If that is the case and their ISP does suck, it is indeed Funcom's responsibility to get a better one, right?

I have not mentioned lag spikes or bandwith problems on my end at all since I know that they exist and I would never blame FC for those.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Actually, the graphics that have been added are not only the skies and stuff, some textures are redone in higher rez, so yes more eyecandy. Also, there are new sounds like footsteps and ambient sounds and whatnot.

Nothing major except the towers and stuff. I belive people without the booster won't be able to see the towers as detailed as the boosted people like me.

Ummm...hello???

I was making a comment to your post, where you said that it wasn't Funcom's fault, but their crappy ISP... If that is the case and their ISP does suck, it is indeed Funcom's responsibility to get a better one, right?

I have not mentioned lag spikes or bandwith problems on my end at all since I know that they exist and I would never blame FC for those.
    Oops. My bad. Sorry.

In that sense you are of course right.