Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mouse speed

lol funny fix.

I get incredible, and I mean *incredible* lag in mission rooms with the big square room with a black square nothing in the center. I'm not the only one though as the whole team always has that. If I do not face the black center I dont get lag, but oh dear if I face it, I cant control my mouse anymore so its often a sudden death for me.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

I get this when looking at effects. Sometimes accompanied by audio stutter.

It looks like the client is trying to run picks through particles. Perhaps you should remove particles from your pick/collision list or give them an invisible dummy handle that you can select instead of trying to allow selection of every individual particle?

But this wouldn't be fixed by a blit delay (and it isn't in my case)... Perhaps blitting the mouse on top of something else that is being blitted every frame is sending the renderer into a loop? I.e. it thinks the blitting hasn't been done yet when it has because the mouse hasn't been updated, even though the other blits have? I've never written this bug myself (unlike see above), so I have no advice.

Edit: Are you particles billboards? They look very good if they are. If so, it's not the former. I'll have to remember to move the camera around while buffing tonight and check.

Of course, I haven't done 3D code in, um, six years now, so I am probably wrong.

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Autumnleaves; May 16th, 2003 at 23:30:21.

mouse movment lagg

I have innstalled ao on many types of computers.

I use right now a P4 2.4 Ghz with ATI 9700 Pro
    and 1 Gb memory tryed both XP and Wink2 both have
    same problem..but Win2k give more FPS.

The problem with mouse pointer "slows down" is not
    lack of computer power, i have played alot of other mmorpg
    where the mouse pointer is independent by the DirectX SDK engien (the 3D engine) Looks like that pointer is going true the
    Graphics card accerasjon. When you buff and get "Nano effets" which are alpha channels..(Texture with transparnet values)
    the mouse are affected by graphics and some other elements are slowend down to like runspeed. This is not a server lagg but how the program adressing and uses the graphic card and texturs.
    I think maybe there is to many alpha textures at ones, when you "buff" you can get like 5-10 "nano effetc" at ones..which give alot of texture layers that the graphic card musth work with. Maybe limit the nano effets so when you buffed
    one buff..and start buffing another the other nano effect stop..this way will prevent layers.

I generaly i think the mouse pointer have to little fps, in a stressed invironment like ao, the mouse pointer do alot of heavy work

I ges you guys have alot of "#headers.h/objekts" to work with, so dont take this as a complaint. I realy like this game..still afte 2 years. I just tryed Ascrhon calls 2 from Turbine Engien, i stop played it after 1 month, and why? it was to boring basicly and got back to my 2 ao accounts. What i woul like to see is more color depth to the textures, i know some of the new patches have realy improved textures on armor and wepons, but i know this means alot of heavy work..but i would realy wish to so more of this improvment to the game

Great work on the fix on "invironment/show all players names"!

Thums up.
    Last edited by Tecscope; May 19th, 2003 at 00:51:54.

Wow cant belive I finaly found a thread about this problem!!!

OMG!! I soooo look forward to testing this all out, since my mouse pointer jumps from left to the right side in one swoop. Weee!
    PREDICAMENT|220:26| SENZOR|220:17| TWERRAX|218:11|

Im a bit unsure that my post fits here, but I'll give it a try (feel free to warp it if it doesnt):

The lag in mission that makes me completely freeze always happens near doors, and almost always from one 'section' to another (section of smaller rooms and corridors - the big room with smaller rooms connected to it, and then lag happens at the door to another big section).
    Lag usually always happen at elevators also. The fix in the last patch only contributed to reduce it, not prevent it.

I usually always play with the minimap up. What I have found is that taking the minimap away near transition to next section reduces lag quite alot. In some way this new type of missionlag seems connected to the minimap as taking the map away when using elevators i.e. is quite helpful. Also when Im in the middle of a lagspell, hitting CRTL + 6 (taking the map away) will kick in a second or two later, and the lag is away. Keeping the map up will usually have a negative effect on the lag (adding to it).

Anybody else experienced this?

OMG for some reason the last patch the mouse lag was horrible, even KEYBOARD lag was horrible turning. I could barely make it out of the rome superior store to a mission terminal .. but I did, pulled one quick, uploaded it, and BANG.. no more look/turn lag.

FREAKY.

The link for the RivaTuner mouse-speed fix is no longer valid, so I'll post the instructions here. Note that this only seems to work for GeForce-based cards.

Download and install "RivaTuner". You can download this from various locations. Try searching for it.

After you install RivaTuner, run it. Under the 'Main' tab click the 'Customize' button under the 'Driver settings'. Click on the DirectX icon. Go to the 'Blitting' tab and enable the 'DDBLT_WAIT' option. Enable the 'Limit maximum number...' option as well. Go to the 'Vsync' tab and set the value here to '1'. Click 'Ok' to save your changes.

Disabling anti-aliasing (or setting it to application-controlled) in your video card's control panel should also improve the mouse speed.

None of this works for ATI users or at least for this user. Seriously hope there is a fix in the works for this problem.

Yup, I have a P4 2Ghz and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB running W2k, and mouse lag generally seems worse now than with my old config (Geforce3 MX).

I used to have full control of my char in tower PvP and had almost no lag i missions at all (blitzing worked like a charm), but now I usually just freeze up for several seconds during tower raids or if I try blitzing a mission, whenever there's alot of textures loading.
    Took a lot of fun out of the game for me

Tried reducing effects, view distances etc to the same or lower settings than with the old graphics card, but this did not help significantly.

Maybe an ATI driver problem, who knows... I'll keep trying anyway.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

LOL. Just started having this problem with the new computer I just bought. Was going crazy with all the fixes and nothing worked.

Then....I noticed one lone checkmark....

"Disable mouse acceleration in games"

Doh
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

the mouse are affected by graphics and some other elements are slowend down to like runspeed.
    Hmm. I have faster run speed then my wife by around 50. We are playing via Winproxy and sit next to each other.... Yet that wench always outruns me and then laughs about it.

/glare

That might explain it. My system is much better than hers and we have different cards. Hers is GF3 64M and mine is ATI 9800 pro 128.

Both systems run fairly well though. The only freezes are with my PC (P4 3.02Ghz very high performance) and thats when in missions and opening doors to new large areas.

As said above, changing from a Logitech cordless mouse and keyboard to a wired keyboard and IBM corded USB optical mouse fixed the mouse pointer lag for me.
    RK1 ~Knights Templar~ General
    Goonn, 207 Fixer
    Mairibeth, 182 ENG // Revcove, 182 MP
    Koave, 135 ADV // Noaille, 145 Agent

Gaute Godager: There is no camping in Shadowlands.
    Phazeblyght: So... no camping in SL... that means people 'get a room'

Not sure if this applies to anyone here (or if it's been mentioned elsewhere), but after I did a clean install of WinXP with logitech mouseware 9.76 I also had very slow mouse speed in AO (and any other game)

What I did was to open Mouse Properties in the control panel, go to the Motion tab and in the Cursor Speed and accelleration group, deselect 'Disable acceleration in games'

Works pretty well for me
    Tools: AOCrafter | AOcrayon | GUISelect | WebCrafter

- Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

Thanks extruder.

Have a GeForce2 and the program helped..

Went to CNet.com and searched for RivaTuner..

Actually, I went to ZDNet and they referred me to CNet.
    100% cotton.

I had the same problem with lagging mouse, but I don't have the equipment that you all seem to have.

I run Win2k, XP 2000+ chip, Epox mb, 384 megs ram, ATI Radeon 32meg SDR 4x AGP card, and I have a corded mouse and keyboard which are quite old.

When I played in full screen or windowed mode at 1024 x 768, my mouse would always lag. When I play in windowed mode at 800 x 600, there never is a problem. Maybe it has something to do with that? I really woudn't recommend going out to buy new meeces or keyboards just because one game doesn't work.

My desktop is at 1024 x 768, 32 bit color, and my windowed mode is 800 x 600 32 bit color...

Scorch
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Aurethea
    Adventurer
    NEPA Org.

Unhappy SL mouse lag

Ok, I'll try to be as specifc as possible here...

Dell Dimension 8250
    P4 2.4 Ghz
    512Mb RAM
    WinXP SP1 (home)
    GeForce4 MX 420, driver version 2.8.4.1 (date 4/8/02)
    no broadband - 56k modem access only
    MS Intellimouse Explorer MS driver version 5.0.174.0 (date 5/15/03)

AO:
    texture quality: medium
    texture color quality: 16/32
    world view distance: 75%
    character view distance: 70m
    ground quality: 100m
    ground full quality radius: 7m
    resoultion: 1600x1200x32 (transform & lighting acceleration capable selected instead of hardware acceleration throughDirect3D), ZBuffer
    compressed texture: off
    most effects ingame misc menu turned off (inlcuding nano effects)

Problem: when I started AO almost 2 year ago no mouse lag. With the mission upgrade patch started noticing mouse lag when in windowed mode - fullscreen mode was fine. Lag really showed up in mission after mission was complete and would often Last until I selected a new mission. At this point I turned the visual settings above down some - didn't really help.

Now with SL loaded I get mouse lag all the time no matter what I do. Going through the fixes I've seen here:

-'syrup mouse' link gone (although from subsequent posts sound slike whatever that fix was it was added to AO
    -'diable mouse acceleration in games'; I can't find this option anywhere. Per the post it sounds like a Logitech mouse option rather than MS mouse
    -'frames from 3 to 2, or from 2 to 1'; I can't find any option even remotely like that in the properties for my video card.
    -'RivaTuner'; downloaded (wasn't on CNet or ZDNet anymore, had to search the web, ended up downloading from a german website since the only english website I found would not initiate download). Followed the instructions Extruder posted on 6/23/03. Not one bit of difference.

I'd hate to keep turning down the visual options, and keeping a mission loaded is kind of a pain if you want to play in SL, since there aren't any mission booths there and getting to one takes a while.

Anyone have any other ideas? FunCom? If you need some info I haven't provided above, just let me know (NelsonPM@aol.com).

Thanks...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oops, spoke too soon above. Once I actually logged in and played (instead of just moving the mouse around some to test) RivaTuner did fix the problem.

Seems a shame that you have to rely on a no-warranty third party app though...
    Last edited by Peter N.; Sep 19th, 2003 at 21:33:25.
    "How many deconstructionists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

"Even the framing of this questions makes a grid of patriarchal assumptions that reveals a slavish devotion to phallocentric ideas, such as: techinical accomplishment has inherent value, knowledge can be obtained, and quantities of labor can be determined empirically - all of which further marginalize the disenfranchised."

Re: mouse movment lagg

Originally posted by Curatox
    When you buff and get "Nano effets" which are alpha channels..(Texture with transparnet values)
    the mouse are affected by graphics and some other elements are slowend down to like runspeed. This is not a server lagg but how the program adressing and uses the graphic card and texturs.
    I think maybe there is to many alpha textures at ones, when you "buff" you can get like 5-10 "nano effetc" at ones..which give alot of texture layers that the graphic card musth work with.
    I fully concur.. if I turn off nano effects, mouse syrup goes away for me.. and the more effects at once the worse it is (ie, when someone runs a team buff and we all get effects, its way worse than when 2 or 3 of use proc something at same time).

but I really want/need nano effects on..

Still having this issue..

I have tried all suggestions above and I still have this issue. I have a GEForce 3 64mb with a 1.2ghz athlon. My friend has a 1.0ghz athlon and an older radeon card and has no mouse lag whatsoever. Yet another friend uses a 700mhz processor and has no mouse lag either! Ahh!

Originally posted by Mawerick
    What I did was to open Mouse Properties in the control panel, go to the Motion tab and in the Cursor Speed and accelleration group, deselect 'Disable acceleration in games'
    I can confirm this has helped me, but not entirely eliminated the problem.. turning off nano effects does elminate the problem entirely...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast