Thread: an ode to the casual gamer

an ode to the casual gamer

This post is by no means intended to be a rant, or a slam of AO. There are many things that could be complained about, but it seems that base has been covered pretty well. I'm really just wondering if im the only one having this problem.

I recently got up to level 100 for the first time with any character. At this point the levelling curve got so steep that it really did feel like soloing was absolutely innefectual. Easy enough to solve in a group, except that group missions can take up and over 4 hours to complete fully. Unfortunately it's rare that I have 4 hours to play uninterupted as much as I would like to. I'm just wondering if theres any options out there. Or is there possibly going to be.

Outdoor hunting seemed like it was going to make a comeback, but i haven't really heard much about it in game.

>dunno< mebbe im missing something.

Criminess 102 MA

One point is that that not all team mission take 4 hours. Missions in Pleasant Meadows are notoriously long. One of the reasons why Broken Shores has become the place to do team missions is exactly because they are much shorter than PM missons. Of course, then you've got the chance of a mission full of Blaster Beetles

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Omni HQ missions are also relatively short.

Yepp, start doing the same BS missions over and over and it'll soon zapp all the fun out of this game so you can move onto something else that is faster to level in
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

Originally posted by Centurion3
    Yepp, start doing the same BS missions over and over and it'll soon zapp all the fun out of this game so you can move onto something else that is faster to level in
    Like a new character
    I'm having a blast with my new crat. Leveling is still fast and it's always fun to discover a new profession.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

I beg the differ... the world isnt very exciting anymore... remember the first time you saw an bloodcreeper? or an mantis? Now that was fun... now you pretty much know what to expect if you go up against them...
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

Sadly, you just can't make the higher levels as a casual player. If you get into a team mission, you're expected to stay at least until that one mission is over.

It can be interesting to try different professions to see how they work. And perhaps you can get a little of that early level oooh and aaah back by trying other factions.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

One big problem I've had is transportation. It wasn't so bad until they changed the grid to no entrance during combat. Like you say, you can just hit Newland to BS, but it does get stale. Now though, if i want to use CS without serious comp problems I have to go way out to the Longest Road.

Shrug>> Maybe your right, and the higher levels aren't really maintainable for a lightweight gamer. Another alt kinda sounds dull though. I was really just wondering if I was just missing out on something. Anyhow thanks for the response guys.