Thread: Chat and Text: Block Text = Can't Read

Chat and Text: Block Text = Can't Read

Hi there
    Recently I have had this problem with chat and in game text (mission, itam, character references). I can't see any text, only a block of colour. I've spoken to various people and I've tried to reinstall my graphic drivers just in case.
    However, the problem is still persisting. What other options do I have? At present, I can't speak or read in the game:" I'm effectively deaf and mute.

Red face I feel your pain

I have a friend that has the same problem.

I wish I could tell you how to fix it.

It is really driven me crazy. I gave my friend my old TnT2 vid card that i used to play AO on with no probs. Now she has the block chat and can't read chat. We tried everything short of buying a another vid card for her.

If anyone has an answer to this, plz do tell!

Thumbs up Window Mode is a temp fix

Ok we fixed hers!! yay!!

This is what we did. When you log on to AO there is a button called "Settings" click it, now click the button called "Advanced Settings", now click "Restore Default Font"

Make sure your font is "Trebuchet MS, Bold Italic, 18"

and we ran in window mode, no more block-chat

bah... I think all that didn't do anything.

we just tried it without window mode and still got the blocks.

Try playing in window mode.

That seems to get ride of the blocks.

We will keep working on it though, if we come up with anything, ill let you know.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks!
    I'll give this a try and see what happens
    Cheers

Red face Alas, the problem continues

Hi again.
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried them without much success. I'm really tempted to uninstall the game and reload it about now .
    Thanks for the help though

If something in your settings is screwy and you cant figure out what it is, you can try this method to restore it all to original settings.

If your using the default install paths, this should be the path to open AO folder in windows explorer.

C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online

Remove the Prefs folder from the directory and save it elsewhere. *be sure to copy the Prefs folder into another directory as a backup*

Then just restart AO and see whats up then. If your chat is fine after that, just tweak your settings until your happy with them again.

Good Luck
    Last edited by kthxbye; Nov 22nd, 2002 at 10:58:45.

This has been posted under the technical section of the forums also.

I also got the same problem AFTER installing the new Nvdia Detonator 4 drivers. I just removed those drivers, went back to my card manufacturer site and reinstalled the old drivers, Release 30.82. Fixed the problem. The new drivers are no good for my GeForce3.
    Main Khaitlene - Omni Keeper - RK1
    Khaitlsmule - Omni Engie - RK1
    Galaxia - Retired NT - RIP

Proud Member of the Obsidian Order. We're recruiting!