Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two new professions in Shadowlands

Two new professions in Shadowlands

So they're going to be introducing 2 new professions into Shadowlands.

From the interview at RPG vault here.

2. New professions
    a. There will be two new professions in the Shadowlands, but it's too early to give any more details right now.

Anybody like to hazard any guesses who might be joining us?

Here are some ideas I thought of:

Biologist:

The biologist is a scientist who is specially suited to understand life. Nano lines include healing, body modification (such as ability boosts and runbuffs), biomet buffs, and the ability to make permanent pets out of non-human animals (i.e., there is no time limit on charms). Their tradeskill specializations include pharma tech and chemistry.

Cyber Warrior:

The cyber warrior is someone who uses implants, computers, and other technology to be a different kind of soldier. While they are suited to manipulate nanotech, in the end the nanotech that they use is geared to improve their combat. Nano lines include those that buff AC, evades, concealment, and perception. I'll try to think of more for this.

Veterinarian:

The vet is someone who is able to control and manipulate animals. Thus they can permanently charm non-human creatures, heal them, buff them, and do other things. They can also buff any human player that has been polymorphed into an animal, such as the adventurer in sabretooth form.

Synnoiont:

This term was coined by the author Poul Anderson (that's the only place I've seen it, at least). A synnoiont is someone who is specially suited to communicate with machines and computers, to the extent that much of their time is spent in a virtual cyberspace, where the rules of perception and information flow are different. This ability to communicate well with the machine world is what gives the synnoiont his advantage. Typically a synnoiont has high intelligence. Nano lines include the ability to get into the normal grid and fixer grid and intelligence buffs.

Android:

This is not actually a human at all, but a robot. Actually, I wish they would add this (or some other sort of robot, or maybe a cyborg) as a new breed. Maybe they will some day.

One thing that makes visualizing new professions hard is that the 12 professions already cover a wide spectrum of combat and play styles. One addition I can think of is that the new professions have special characteristics and/or abilities, such as the ability to wield both a gun and melee weapon at the same time, or the ability to cast two nanoprograms at the same time.

Just as a fun exercise, I'll probably modify/update these speculations as time goes on, just to see how close I am to the eventual professions! Unfortunately, my account expires on New Years Day...for good.
    Last edited by Tyndareus; Nov 19th, 2002 at 14:22:58.

Sanitation worker and fireman.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

My guesses :

New profession n°1 is a light psychic fighter tied with shadowlands. He has some sort of healing and warping. Close to a MA he will enhance his melee way of fighting with spiritual nano-rites. He will have numerous psy shields to protect him and his team, diverting damages to the shadowlands plane.

New profession n°2 is a light nuker that also has some warping / displacement capacities tied to shadowland. He will able to summon specific Shadowland creatures to compensate his weak DDs. He won't control them though : we are done with the numerous pet professions. They will be some kind of bodyguards that will attack hostiles on sight. Their life will be short (a few min for the top ones) and they will have to be summoned for each fight.

And no, I don't have any informations, just making this up.
    Still, it will be frightening to see how accurates my guesses are.
    Last edited by Unexpected; Nov 19th, 2002 at 14:52:57.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Chef and Leet Rancher!

Interesting article, a good read for most people.
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

damn it

just means that there are 2 more proffesions to balance with the rest...and 2 more proffessions that will be better than engineers.

It has cost me too much money to be an unhappy engie.
    Quote "I'm a phat slaya and I'm goona eat ya" - |-|ardC0r3 my bot

Re: damn it

Originally posted by Rocknic
    just means that there are 2 more proffesions to balance with the rest...and 2 more proffessions that will be better than engineers.

LOL

my guess is:
    Devgod and Nerf Enforcer

The first profession will be the Pet. People playing this profession will be allowed to take control of other peoples pets in order to make them path properly.

The second profession will be the whiner. People playing this profession will automatically have there profession changed to that of the forum that posts the most whines that week.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Biologist:

The biologist is a scientist who is specially suited to understand life. Nano lines include healing, body modification (such as ability boosts and runbuffs), biomet buffs, and the ability to make permanent pets out of non-human animals (i.e., there is no time limit on charms). Their tradeskill specializations include pharma tech and chemistry.
    I like the biologist idea but, my vision of him is a bit different. Yes, he understands life but, more importantly he understands destroying life alot better, sort of opposite a doctor. His attack would include powerful DoT's most likely of Disease damage, but others as well (albeit, not as powerful) for non-organic mobs. He would use some sort of Biochemical weapon as well. As far as buffs go, perhaps some high AC buffs towards some of the more dangerous damage types (Chem/Dis/Rad). Also maybe some life transferring nanos that would drain life from target and give some of it to whoever it's currently aggro'd on. Not sure if this is well thought out, just kinda RPing.

Talking

Here is one profession for ya:

/silly mode on

Profession
    FC DEV:
    Truly a master of the NERF ability,
    this profession will get special nanos that will make most of its targets skills useless,
    such nanos include:

Calling of Gauti
    Summon 12.6
    Nerfers Bliss
    and many more fun nanos.

They can also summon bug´s (special pets that distract the person it is fighting, with wierd things, such as rearranging the shortcuts that person has setup & shuffling the inventory and bank of that person)

/silly mode off

Originally posted by (Gummizluv)
    He won't control them though : we are done with the numerous pet professions. They will be some kind of bodyguards that will attack hostiles on sight. Their life will be short (a few min for the top ones) and they will have to be summoned for each fight.
    This is EXACTLY what many MP's have been asking for as a pathing workaround; alas, I would not be at all surprised if they were given to a new class.

cheers

amis
    Skebet Omni lvl 181 MP

Well the 2 best combat classes currently are a Medic and Salesman.

I guess they could add a Gardner/Florist and maybe a Chef as the 2 new Ubah combat classes.
    Veteran Homer "Detonate" McDuff - My Equipment
    -= First Order =-

First Order is one of the largest and most powerful Omni-Tek Departments located on Rubi-Ka 1. If you are a dedicated Omni-Tek employee looking for superior opportunities within the company, check out http://www.firstorder.net/ and apply for a position today!
    First Order is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on Breed, Level, or Profession.

WHY MMORPG'S SUCK!

if they got a little cheffy hat and apron as start up items, i'd soo play one

Begger and hoe? Already got these 2 professions, might as well make them official.
    Bandersnatch - Opifex Enforcer

I will be the first to argue that the Adventurer should be the class to have animal control, not any other. The Adventurers are supposed to be masters of the wild, and since we have nothing else in our profession that resembles being masters of the wild, the ability to control or at least prevent attacks from (and not that crappy area calm that doesn't work well; mileage may vary) wild animals should be given to the Advy.
    Rhiannon "Krystanova" Pourier
    Xenobiologist and Explorer, 179 Adventurer
    Explorer 100%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 47%, Killer 0%

Visit Faunlore: Rubi-Kan Wildlife, the Anarchy Online bestiary!

Originally posted by Krystanova
    I will be the first to argue that the Adventurer should be the class to have animal control, not any other.
    Jesus aren't all those green swimming and climbing skills enough for you

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
    Begger and hoe? Already got these 2 professions, might as well make them official.
    im with bander on this

the beggers lvl cap will be lvl 5, and the hoe will be locked in 1 playfield, rompa, and be forced to wear social clothing
    // wildwal - the sexiest adv evar - now with nr!
    // legion

Originally posted by Detonate
    Well the 2 best combat classes currently are a Medic and Salesman.

I guess they could add a Gardner/Florist and maybe a Chef as the 2 new Ubah combat classes.
    Don't give me any lip or I'll CH you to death.

Shubalubdub
    Bent Over Naraya
    I have nothing to say, merely wish to immortalize this so it is not lost when you change your title.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast