Thread: Does lag in BS = lag in BS missions?

Question Does lag in BS = lag in BS missions?

I've been doing a lot of missions in Home, BS lately and we got some really bad lag over the weekend. It definitely wasn't client side as when lag got bad for me it got bad for everyone on the team and when my lag went away it did so for the rest of the team as well. My ping was ranging from 90 to 120 so I'm 100% positive it was server side.

My question is this, are the mission served up on the same servers as the zones they are in? Home has lag from hell, but it isn't a huge issue because it doesn’t get you killed. Once you are in the mission where lag = death, it is obviously a huge problem. If the mission servers are linked to the zone servers then I think I will avoid Home at all costs during peak times. If there is just one big mission server cluster and it doesn't matter where you went to get the mission and the lag is equally bad everywhere then I guess running out to the middle of nowhere to get a mission won't help matters any.

Can anyone with the inside scoop on AO's server architecture provide a little insight?

ok all I'm going to post this again.. sorry I jsut have to, the thing I belive you call lag is "skipping" right? If it is, then you will experience lesslagg inside the mission then outside in BS, thisis because the lag you experience is because of that your computer needs to load things from your hard drive.

I know this is not an answer to your Q, but I just wanted to tell you this.
    ?

nope

No, it's not skipping and it's not on my hard drive. What you are talking about is "video lag" and it has nothing to do with my question. Thanks for the reply, but the situation you are talking about is completely unrelated.

We were executing nanoprograms and having them go off 10 seconds after hitting the button. It made it hard to even buff, much less fight. We were fighting and seeing attack animations and such, but not having the damage register for 30 seconds and then getting 3000 damage all at once.
    Thromp Uber Soldat (hehe ok uber for 80 seconds )
    Threefitty UberSquishy NanoTech

Arrow

I don't know if the missions run on the same server as the zone, so can't answer that. But there were issues over the weekend, and the chat server got reset at least once. So it may just have been a general thing (I know I was seeing some server slowdowns from time to time, and i was missioning in Hope).
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

If I remember correctly missions are run on different servers to the zones, so missions in zones can be fine even when the zones server has crashed, and vice verser, so the lag of BS shouldn't effect the lag in missions.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance