Thread: The status of the game (re to "I'll leave because...)

The status of the game (re to "I'll leave because...)

Hi there!

Like so many of late, I found myself to be one of those who "only stays because of the guild", and since I've been unable to log on since the 14.61 patch (that is the game won't run), I've spent some time frustratingly trying to get it to work, some time trying to get help, and finally some time dreaming of other MMORPG's. It is my findings of the last bit I want to share, because I find my energy to keep with AO returning...

Wise of experience, I went straight to the forum of another sci-fi mmorpg to get the temp of the game and the devloper/community relationship.. and I found that "most" players where disgruntled with the game, and I think they even had better cause than most of us here at AO...

As an example, there's only one race/class combination "worth" playing in that game, because it excells in both trading, combat, equipment and just about anything else in the game, so why play the underdog, when you can start an über-character? (Except for the challenge, of course).

One post said something like: "you are obviously new to mmo's. You cant expect to be happy with a char 1, 2, 4 or even 6 months forward in time. Patches and tweaks will most likely force you to change character once or more during that time anyway." Well, I do not know about you guys, but when I invest months in a char, I don't want to find it useless after a patch. In that game they expect it, here in AO, at least it hasn't happened to everybody!(?)

My conclusion is that I will not make the change to another game, because they are likely to be just as broken or worse, and then I will lose the friends and hours I already have here at AO. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, sometimes maybe, but not as a rule.

So to all of you who go "fix x or I will quit and play y instead" -Don't, chances are good that you will be just as dissatisfied with "y".

I'm an optimist, and I belive that one of two things will happen in the future:
    1 AO gets better for all
    or
    2 another mmorpg with a sci-fi setting makes it to the market which isn't riddled with bugs and/or broken and/or imbalanced etc.

Until that, I will do 1 of two things:
    1 suffer as I have until now, and enjoy the chats and excursion with my guild friends.
    or
    2 quite mmorpg altogheter, because the industry really isn't mature enough.

Whatever you do or belive, do yourselves a favour and head in to your game of choice "y"'s forum and spend an hour or so and sift through "" posts as well as "" posts, and don't forget the developer posts. Combined you will get a picture that will help you make the right choice... for you...

I'm staying for a few months no matter what, since I forgot my recurring 6 month thing (or was it 180 days).

Good luck and have fun.
    (And please do something about the fact that I can't log in to the game anymore.. when I cant play I have way to much time to spend on the forums here and elsewhere...... see:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=67546
    for details on my problem.)

I think that the whole MMORPG business is the same. Let's say those who are waiting for SWG. All are saying that it will rock. But i can tell you now that in a few months those boards will be the same as those from ao. People screaming that they were killed by another char, so they need to nerf that class. People screaming that they also want to be a Jedi and that they pay the same amount of money as that person who made it to a Jedi.
    I think it will need a lot of time before this new-industry works as we would like it. Face it, 20 years ago people would have laughed if you would tell them that you would play a game with thousands of players at the same time. This new industry needs the time to evolve and i think that in about 50 years kids are laughing about our MMORPG-games. And yes, even then people will get angry at a company that they mess with their gameplay.

I can't log in as well since new patch....and my emails to support or well.....

/me ponders cancel button, but the MoK thing holds me back...
    Kodiene
    Founding member of P.E.T.A.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Atrox's
    PAINKILLR
    Mercenaries of Kai

"I personally think nerfs are death in an emergency patch. It is very cool to admit that there are a lot of things we can do boring, very boring in-game. Your input is being adjusted in some Fouls. I want to especially thank the players who WILL die.
    Have Fun! And I'll be seeing you online
    jonhelgi, designer - AO"

"One post said something like: "you are obviously new to mmo's. You cant expect to be happy with a char 1, 2, 4 or even 6 months forward in time. Patches and tweaks will most likely force you to change character once or more during that time anyway." Well, I do not know about you guys, but when I invest months in a char, I don't want to find it useless after a patch. In that game they expect it, here in AO, at least it hasn't happened to everybody!(?)"

I haven't played AO in a long time (>3 months now) [I still have a subscription though, mainly because I'm an eternal optimist]. One of the key reasons I stopped was the thing with nerfing. Yes, the Devs at AO are *extremely* bad offenders when it comes to changing the basis of professions. FC nerfed Traders to hell and then beyond because of whining. FC nerfed NTs to hell and then beyond because of whining. In fact, FC nerfed fixers to hell and beyond because of whining. These all took place at different times, and for different reasons, but they did happen.

There is no way of knowing what will happen to your prof in 1,2,4 or even 6 months because at some point FC will turn around and say, 'that wasn't working as intended, we are "fixing" it now'. I had played AO for a year or so. When I log back in now, I see maybe 5-6 people I knew. That is a damning statement on AO.

I doubt I shall convince you. However, I'd like you to understand that FC has messed up what was a truly inspired product by making it insipid.

Originally posted by Loriac
    FC nerfed Traders to hell and then beyond because of whining. FC nerfed NTs to hell and then beyond because of whining. In fact, FC nerfed fixers to hell and beyond because of whining. These all took place at different times, and for different reasons, but they did happen.

I dont know what game you have been playing, but it sure isnt AO

You forgot FA soldiers, the original nerfs. You also forgot agents, second in line.

w00ps in fairness it seems that fixers are on the right path, I will give FC that one. The general impression I get is that it's not on the path they expected tho.
    Last edited by fortykru; Nov 22nd, 2002 at 04:57:24.

just to say, fixer where originally nerf to heck and back at the end of beta (so I have heard, I am one of the 2% of people on these boards who where not in beta ). They went from being the most powerful proff in the gme (literally being able to kill ANY mob outside) to being the weakest, were they stayed for most of the the first year of release. They are on the right path now, FC just needs to hurry up and get everyone else on it too, before the nerf cries drag them back like they did traders and MA's

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance