Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoking

smoking

As a person with obscessive/compulsive traits, I knew it was best never to try a cigarette. Addictions are hard to kick. Freud, himself endured 12 operations on his throat due to the effects of smoking. He found that he would rather get cancer than quit, that is how strong the addiction is.

If any of you smoke, post your advice for those who are tempted to start.

Sorry to be so lame, but trust old Hobbes, this is one of those branch points in your life.

I cannot teach wisdom and am therefore doomed to failure, but I tried.

hobbes is willing to endure unferreted critcism if he can stop just one person.
    Last edited by hobbes; Nov 14th, 2002 at 02:32:00.
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

The topic of smoking is one that you don't want to bring up. Half the people will complain, the other half light a cigarette and grin.

*lights a cigarette and grins*

Ok, now then. I didn't start smoking because of peer pressure. Nor did i start smoking because i was subjected to tabaco smoke all the time. I started smoking because i felt like it. It goes really well with alcohol and coffee, both which i do enjoy a snippet of on occasion. *whistles innocently...*

But really, before you start to smoke look at how you live your life. If you sit behind a desk all day, *school or work*, then go home and sit behind a computer playing AO...then DON'T start smoking.

Your body cannot tolerate you abusing it like that, and adding smoking to it. And trust me, cigarettes go so well while being behind a computer. Where i work i have access to a gym, so i spend at least 2 hours a day in the gym. *knocks on wood* And i'm healthy as a horse. So smoking doesn't bother me that much because i take care of my body as much as i can.

If you do the same, then smoke if you like. It's a drain on your money and realise this, it WILL affect your health. It can be a month from now, a year from now...or twenty years from now. But accept the fact that it will affect you sooner or later. If your a casual smoker and only smoke at parties or when you go out, fine...just remember that sooner or later casual smokers become full blown smokers.

If you have a LOT of stress in your life, DON'T smoke for gods sake. I'm Iceman, nothing affects me. But if you are in a situation that involves stress, DON'T smoke i say again. Stress is a killer. combine tabacco with that, and your just asking to get cancer.

But if your not in a situation of stress, take care of your body on a darily/weekly basis, and aren't going to smoke two packs a day...then smoke. Just listen to your body. Forget the surgeon general. They examine 100 000 people and assume that everyone fits into that category. You don't. Every person is individual, personality wise as much as health wise. If your body isn't handling the smoke well, such as shortness of breath, or light headedness, or coughing, or your really thirsty when you smoke...then DON'T smoke.

Your body is telling you to lay off. Listen to it, it's your best friend. But if you take care of yourself, aren't in a stressfull situation and take cigarettes in monderation...AND feel no ill effects while and after you smoke, then do it if you wish.

one more thing...don't smoke anything. A lot of people tend to smoke whatevers available. Or they constantly ask other people. Every cigarette is different. Find one brand of cigarettes you enjoy and stick with them. If your constantly changing brands, your not letting your lungs adjust to the different quantities of TAR and carbon monoxyde. Educate yourself, don't emberass yourself. Try out a few, if none that you like...DON'T smoke.

If you find something you like, then stick with that brand. If later you don't enjoy it, find one you do. If nothing else apeases you...then STOP Smoking. I started with beson & hedges special light, and after a while i couldn't take them anymore. My throat was sore...then i tried Dunhill, never looked back. I have no shortness of breath, no head aches, i don't get tired running, and my teeth are perfect. So always listen to your body, don't smoke and ruin yourself. If your body says no, DON'T smoke.

One last thing, sorry for the long post...

Make peace with the idea that your clothes and hands will smell like smoke. It's not a pleasant smell. So make sure you wash your hands after you smoke. No ladies are going to like you if you smell like exhaust fumes.

Listen to your body people...don't smoke because it's 'cool', because it's not. Laws are cracking down on smokers, and prices are going up. It's NOT the cool thing anymore. Most people do not like smokers. So if you don't smoke, don't start now. Save yourself the money, the arguments, the stares and save your health.

*puts his cigarettes out*

Be good people's.

I believe the best reason to not smoke, has got to be:
    It tastes like dog poop.

Granted, I don't know how dog poop tastes like, I cannot imagine it can possibly taste worse than what comes out of a cigarett.
    But what we like/dislike is completely different from person to person. Some like Coca Cola, others like Pepsi.

As long as you don't pick up smoking because "All your friends does it, and tell you to start because it's 'cool'"

Real men like me smoke Crack.
    Boltgrinder 200 (No Longer Rising!) enforcer. General of Mercenaries of Kai. Dream Setup Current Setup
    CamelLights 62 Nano Technician, To much MC for my own good.

Razi Quote until i change it!

Razi-Away: If you have a doctrine of loving cuddly bears, it means you will go out and love cuddly bears. If you have a philosophy of loving cuddly bears, it means you just love them. It works the same, only replacing "love" with "hate", "cuddly" with a cuss word, and "bears" with a minority of your choice.

Besides, smoking makes you *freaking* *ugly*.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Don't smoke. Sooner or later you'll start smoking in your car and that will lower the resale value!
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

I smoked for 8 years. Then 3 days after my birthday this year (june 3rd) I just decided that after my last cigarette in my last pack I was never going to smoke again.

I haven't, and let me tell you it has been one of the best decsicions I have EVER made. Plus my hubby doesn't have to kiss my cigarette breath anymore.
    Evillies ~ Level 47 Martial Artist
    Evillexus ~ Level 40 Soldier
    HunnieBunns ~ Level 8 Adventurer

I've tried a couple times to quit (once for six weeks!) but I always go back.

Starting is easy but quitting is close to impossible....

Karanya_
    *lights a cigarette and grins*

I'm an unrepentant smoker/drinker/junk food abuser/other stuff we won't get into here.

We've all got to die sometime, and I'd prefer not to live beyond a certain age when I'd find myself in a nursing home or unable to take care of myself. That's my rationalization when I wake up at 3am and cough up a lung.

That said, smoking is kind of a sux habit, but.. like drinking and junk food and all the rest.. I weighed the "benefits" vs. the detriments, and decided that to me, it was worth it.

Just wish my precious Marlboros were a bit cheaper.

--K

just because you think your strong doesn' t mean you wont get cancer.
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

The point of the post has just been underlined by Karanya.

The best way to stop is to never start. This stuff causes extremely powerful cravings that interfere with your daily life and controls even otherwise strong willed people.
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

I cool with ppl that smoke (even though i live in California lol) as long as you dont do it to be cool, like my brother. He'll smoke 3-4 cigs a day when he's not around friends.... When with friends he'll go through 1&1/2 packs easy like. My 2 cents

Definatly dont start if you live in WA state...
    i think with taxes cigs are up to almost 6$ a pack...

uk prices

well u think 6 dollars is bad...we pay near on 5 quid here which is nar on 8 dollars =)
    we also pay about 4 times more than u for petrol.
    Quote "I'm a phat slaya and I'm goona eat ya" - |-|ardC0r3 my bot

I hate the smell of smoke, so I have never had the urge to. I have also worked in a club for years, so I get the advantages of smoking (tar, lung diease) without the expense of actually buying them .

The main reason I dont smoke is the fact you are affecting other people, not just yourself. Its the same reason I would never drink and drive. Your body is yours to do with as you please, no one elses is.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

bah smoking

Dont smoke.

The only good thing in ciggs are the nicotine. And it aint worth getting lungcancer over that ;p

Try snus If you aint reading/speaking swedish fluently i might translate it, if you get the Deacon to do my toes

Seriously, snus gives almost 20 times as much nicotine as ciggs, and none of the drawbacks. (cept for a slight lump on the upper lip, and that goo you spit out then done)
    They are even removing the cancer warnigs on those boxes.

Do the right thing today, be a snus addict
    - Chzaal TL 7 NT. Unit member of Ragnarok

- Uuhum TL5 Enf. Unit member of Ragnarok.

'IMPOSTITION OF ORDER = ESCALATION OF CHAOS' - Lord Omar Khayaam Ravenburst, "The gospel according to Fred", The Honest Book of Truth

Umm other things go with coffee....like doughnuts n stuff.....allright so Ide rather chainsmoke with my coffee and die of a tumor the size of texas in my chin. Hey Wait Ide look like Jay Leno
    Bill "Rudeboyz" Clinton Nobel Prize Winning Engineer, Crusader for Duct Tape and Reclaim Inspector General of Rubi-Ka Gear

Freshman Bob "Spookyrudy" Dole Buff Dispenser, Sexy Atrox, Master of The Atrox Monkey Love Arts

I love how people who don't smoke, and have never had a cigarette, seem to be chalk full of advise on smoking. So i should go see a catholic priest when i want advise on sex? Oh wait...but he's never had sex so...

Leave the non-smoking advise giving to those that are actually killing themselves with it.

*lights up a smoke and grins*

Good friend of mine said it best

Quitting smoking is like your best friend died
    and your the one that killed him.

Originally posted by Iceman
    Leave the non-smoking advise giving to those that are actually killing themselves with it.
    How about those of us who have to work in smoky enviroments, and even though we have never touched a cig in our lives, are probably going to die of those same lung diseases, do we get to give advise?

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast