Thread: Player involvement in story?

Player involvement in story?

I have just come back to AO from a years absence. Now one of the things that made me want to play is this supposed story. I see comics, movies, novels, and unique critters but I am not finding anything that the players themselves can do to affect the story. Am I missing something?

So can players affect the story or not?

Not really much. Sometimes you have to be in the right place in the right time, mostly you would have to find a group of people that like to shake things up. Currently there seems to be none.
    Clan players stopped supporting the Council of Truth and that led to it's downfall, thats the only thing players altered recently

besides the whiners whining... like always

I've not seen much udating of importance either

So by people not roleplaying or supporting the story, they have managed to alter the story....hmm not that's defintetly a twist!

I would love to shake things up, but being a level 29 enforcer, not much I can do at the moment, and the thought of gaining 100 or so levels just so I could maybe kill gaurds doesn't sound like a story altering event.

I have been so bored lately that I tried to grid into omni...died real quick ( am clan), but it was worth a laugh. Then I tried to kill tribo Ratcatcher just for a giggle ( I know I am clan but damn am I sick of hearing him spout that I am not helping the rat problem)...he was light orange and I hit him for a whole 1 point of damage and got ganked by a 1000 point damage shield.... I think we should get as many people together as we can and kill him!

Anyway, if anyone want to try and shake things up and needs an enforcer give me a tell on rubi-ka 2 Name is wyrre.

Player events get worked into the storyline from time to time, but you do usually need to get involved with a group of players working together to affect things. The current Voice of Freedom article is in reference to an event that actually happened in game, involving my clan. It's not just a bunch of stuff on the web site that never actually happened in game.

Aye, I think FC is doing their best to try to keep the storyline on the same ultimate goals. I am gathering, however, they are actually paying attention to players and seem to even enjoy altering the details of the storyline and news according to player actions. All in all, compared to other games with a "storyline," I am pleased.
    Enri - Adventurer
    Paxton - Bureaucrat
    Proud Member of Clan Anarchist Syndicate

START SEEING the difference between a player and game designer

Forum Education!

Well, there is hope that Notum Wars will make for interesting player story, since the global state of notum will be completely player controlled.

However, until that happens, story is a no-no in my opinion. Around the CoT-fall era, it looked like influencing the story was happening, but in actuality, it was just a scripted event by Funcom to prepare for the Notum Wars release. i.e. the people who were anti-CoT got all the publicity because that's the direction Funcom was going anyway. The people on the otherside got no notice.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth