Thread: Trap XP needs tweaked badly

Trap XP needs tweaked badly

Right now, you don't even want to do traps because the rat is a massive xp ball worth more than the paltry xp you get from disarming a bomb.

Considering that this is the ONLY use of the skill...

*Do not nerf rats, allow them for teams who do NOT have someone capable of trap disarming.

*Give 1k xp PER QL of the trap that is disarmed, split among the team normally (aka for a ql200 trap, you'd get like 167k or whatever).

*This seems high, but think about it, it's the ONLY use for the skill, and a 200 trap requires a lot of skill. Any less xp and teams will NOT wait for you to disarm anything, they'd just take the odds on a rat popping up.

There is absolutely NO reward for this skill right now, in fact there is actually an XP penalty for disarming traps instead of fighting the occasional rat. (3 rats in a 190+ mission will give ~150-200k xp, disarming 8 traps will give you like <50k).

John

Disarming

Face it, disarming is worthless, don't even bother. It'd probably be best if Funcom simply removed the skill and made breaking/entering used for those effects instead.

Really, funcom should consolidate B/E and Trap disarming and they should do the same thing with adventuring and swimming. Skills that alone are not invested in need to be consolidated.

Of course, this would be a major patch (a long ways away), and require redesigning of many things, but the current skills are a huge disgrace.
    L58 Fixer RK1

I guess you're right, it's just that it would be nice to have a use for the skills that are in the game.

Traps could be so much more than they are as part of the team mission experience. But funcoms so afraid of giving xp for anything but killing it hurts.

Like the guy who makes my 200 implant sets for me. Why shouldnt he get at least 50k xp per completed implant (or about 750k a set).

Consolidating the skills isn't a bad idea, but I just hate to shrink the game instead of expanding it.

John

It really doesn't make much sense to get more XP for failing the disarm. I agree, there should be some adjustment to that.

But really, why is there a rat in a trapped door? I mean what kind of trap is that. It makes no sense at all! Door traps should just damage you, not release a monster. Chests I can understand, they could theoretically hide in those. But a door? What were they thinking? Don't adjust it for doors and instead make rats only for chests.
    That's my two credits....

- Antoine Kozar (Greengiantj)
    AntoineKozar@yahoo.com

"Any forum posting, if allowed to go on long enough, eventually leads to flaming." - Dat Phan

Originally posted by Antoine Kozar
    But really, why is there a rat in a trapped door?
    Perhaps it's not really in the door. Perhaps there's a little hidden rat flap.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Or a rat hidden behind the door? That would make more sense.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

Door Rats

I want to know what kind of sick guy locks up angry, vicious rats next to doors to sic whoever opens the door. What a wierdo. We definitely need better variety in traps.
    L58 Fixer RK1

Traps vs. rewards

I guess traps haven't been useful since FC removed the possibilty of getting bombs from disarmed traps....

Hmm, maybe useful if re-implemented, so one could use the bombs as land-mines with a proximity trigger that is activated a few seconds after the bomb is placed on the ground. Placing the bomb on the ground would make it fade to invisibility for players outside your own org. Using land-mines would only be possible in certain areas (surrounding towers, mayhem zones etc. The mines would probably need to disappear after a certain period of time, to prevent griefing/exploits). Attackers would need to use the 'Search' action (Perception skill dependent?) to locate the mines. Agents would then be invaluable as scouts for the attacking teams, with their cloaking skills.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix