Thread: Say No to Solar Racers

Say No to Solar Racers

Vehicles have the potential to be a really cool ingame feature. Indeed surely they already are- Yalms anyway.

But ground vehicles lack appeal in part IMO simply because of how they look. Who wants to pilot what looks like an air vehicle but stuck to the ground, and the size of your leg at that?

So I'd like to petition that Funcom up the appeal of ground vehicles by making them look like actual ground vehicles!

I was dismayed when I saw the current designs for the new ground vehicles to come in Notum Wars. Including armed ground vehicles is definitely a step in the right direction, applause.
    But they look like those little lightweight solar powered racers universities build, don't they? Can I get an Amen on that?

Can we please have some big gnarly scary looking ground vehicles with tracks or at least wheels, or just hovercraft? Take a look at current real world military hovercrafts- plenty scary looking. Look at your own design for the big tracked vehicle What's-Her-Name drives in the AO flash animated series. Now that's what I'm talking about.

The loss of the movement benefits from being airborne like a Yalm can be offset by having fierce looking armed ground vehicles people /want/ to own not just as an alternative until they can afford a Yalm.

I can only guess at the reasons for the current design of ground vehicles, and my guess is that the animating of moving parts such as wheels or tracks may have been considered too hard to pull off or too resource hungry or what have you. Sure something like a battle suit completely changes one's appearance(and is therefore WAY cool) but I'm guessing that it uses the same model of movement, being humanoid and all.

But if all possible to reasonably make animated tracked/wheeled ground vehicles imagine how darn cool that'd look! And I suggest the hovercraft idea since that seems to be kind of the way ground vehicles are now- just laughable little hoverers instead of big fierce ones.

So please please before Notum Wars is finalized take a look at ground vehicles and make at least one big more conventional looking one any warrior would be proud to pilot.

Can I get an Amen people? I say can I get an Aaamenaah!

Two more vehicle suggestions I hope everyone can get behind:

1) No more smurf coffins! Size up them puppies! Vehicles should not be smaller than their occupants. ^_^

2) A multiperson transport vehicle, handy for transporting a whole team. perhaps with higher driving requirement to reflect handling a big monster of a transporter (kinda like driving a semi-truck trailer compared to driving a car). Imagine dedicated pilot chars transporting fellow guildies and what have you.

I can't beleive I'm the only one who thinks these are great ideas, let's see some community support.

Editing for spelling, I hope I got'em all. ^_^;
    Last edited by YourName Here; Oct 29th, 2002 at 04:50:32.

Unfortunately, I don't think vehicles will become any larger. They used to be much bigger than they are now, but were scaled down for some reason or another. See those wrecked and parked vehicles sitting on the ground in various areas? That's about the size they used to be before FC nerfed them. lol

I think the problem stemmed from the fact that there are no vehicles in AO...just morphs.

And the old morphs were too big to fit into some entrances...

Or some.such
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Originally posted by Seid
    I think the problem stemmed from the fact that there are no vehicles in AO...just morphs.

And the old morphs were too big to fit into some entrances...

Or some.such
    Too big to fit into enterances makes sense, after all I dont drive my car into my house. Making players actually exit a vehicle before zipping into the store would be just fine if it meant having vehicles that were even close to a "correct" size (ie. my car should be bigger than me I think)

I dont mind hover cars actually. But I would like to see combat Hydros

Arrow

Some suggestions were made regarding scale, but they would take a bit of coding (have vehicle scale a function of playfield rather than the item).

And tracks?? This is the year 30000ish! Where a construction beam is a feared weapon... and... oh... heh...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

IF they put wheels on our vehicles, then they suddenly had to code wheels placement compaired to the body (ie. the suspension) and angle (like when you drive up and down hills).

With everything hovering as it is now, they are just stuck in one position, much easier to program.

Heck, if someone puts you into the Cat form and you stand on a hill, one set of paws will be in free air and the other firmly embedded a one foot into the hill.

Not a very smart kitty.

Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Some nice vehicle in another MMORPG...

Here is a tank with some clan members standing near it at an outpost.
    http://www.neocron.com/modules/NeoCo...telands_02.jpg

Here is a Jeep and a Tank. The Jeep's gun is manned in the pic
    http://www.neocron.com/modules/NeoCo...telands_05.jpg

Someone riding a hoverbike through Twilight Guardian canyon
    http://www.neocron.com/modules/NeoCo...telands_07.jpg

Just a few. Yep, and more than one person can ride in some vehicles.

AMEN BROTHER! PRAISE THE LORD!
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

Honest Bob's Used Hovercrafts

FakoNamo, I like your armed Hydrocraft idea. Imagine the waterway in Stret West/East Bank patrolled byarmed hydrocraft battling each other and people nearby on land. ^_^

And as you say, I'd rather have to leave my vehicle to enter a building than have a teensy car. ;p

Come on Funcom- One, just one nice big ground vehicle.