Thread: MIssions Suck

MIssions Suck

something has to be done with the fun factor here i am one for outdoor hunting no matter how many times i ask my guild to do some dungeons in camelot or some new outdoor camps, everyone just says no and does the same old BS MISSIONS. You guys need to implement some stuff in the game. I have some suggestions for you.

Need a place where you can go and do a raid and get some Ubar armour and weapons. class specif and and non class specif stuff...I MEAN thats whats its all about. Get people going places. I have a level 187 Adventurer and its just the same old thing day in and day out because no one is wanting to go and try new things because the rewards are just not as good as the missions them selfs..

Thanks

P.S fix the WEN WEN'S

Wen-wens seem to be fixxed on test.

I'd love to go outdoor hunting with a team, but it seems that everyone is doing missions. I could not agree more.

The xp is being raised outdoor it seems, but the loot of the outdoor camps need to be changed in order to reflect the risk, heck, outdoor camp bosses should give better loot than mission bosses because they are so much tougher.
    "There is a storm coming! Our storm! - Paul Mua'dib"
    ---------------------------------------------
    Randomize argument in scripts!

The magical pony, scene1-5,6

Im glad there are trolls and whiners, gives people something to compare with. Makes the rest of us look better.

"Spam is not just something you do, its a way of life."

OOGA BOOGA.
    ---------------------------------------------

I've been soloing a bunch of the 200 bosses in PW, and it's a lot of fun. All the mantis bosses are a blast, can't manage the 2 boss camps too well, but I'd agree, some mob specific loot would be great and better experience rewards.

Soloed some 200 mantis yesterday, the thing must have had at least 500k HP considering regeneration, took me about 30 min to kill it, lol had to rebuff in the middle of the fight, and when it was over, 475k exp.

Indoors could be made fun too, but some things need to be done. The camera needs to be more intelligent, pet pathing needs to work, there needs to be more environments and bigger rooms, mobs need to be much more cooperative and smart.

Human mobs give more exp than monsters because human mobs were supposed to be casters. This has been so nurfed, that their casting abilities are almost meaningless, yet they still give the same exp. If all their casting abilities were restored (but left in the confines of reason, like no chain casting LW) missions would be much better.

I still say:

Give human mobs our HPs

Give them very good AI and make them work together as teams work together, and give them a 2-3 room help radius.

Put 3 times as many in each mission.

Make exp based on HP, thus nurfing their exp per mob, but with the added mobs a wash.

Now monsters can still have more HP, they will give more exp but have a lower exp mod as they don't cast.

Yeah it's ridiculous that for months we asked to "see the light" and hunt outside, yet nobody takes advantage of thrse new camps. We whined, whined, whined and got exactly what we wanted and just like when a child gets that toy he's been asking for and then never touches it, the camps went unused

The creativity put into these camps to make new mobs, even to think of the names of the bosses, is staggering and a remarkable piece of programming. New items, new quests, new enemies, all went to waste. hundreds of hours of programming work.

I'm not just on my soapbox here, I'm just as guilty. I tried to get teams together when the camps first came out, then I kinda gave up entirely outside of a few short trips to belial or dav recently. And even that's because I couldn't handle many of the new bosses. I'm really bummed about the whole thing. They raised the xp by about 10%, yet folks still say it's not enough.

I think of all the other things Funcom could have fixed in that time period if we hadn't badgered them for outdoor hunting for so long and I personally would like to apologize to the dev team for my own comments about outdoor hunting :/

But seriously, enough self bashing. It seems there's alot of us that wants to go hunting still. It's so much more fun than missions and MPs over 150 will actually find themselves quite satisfied with how well we perform outdoors as opposed to indoors. Nothing fantastic of course, we still need a whole of work, but there's some interesting strategies an MP can work on outdoors, as well as crats and to a lesser extent (sorry guys), engis. Pet classes are somewhat nice to have around outdoors.

So if anyone is putting together a team for outdoor hunting, there's a level 174 MP and a 150+ MA always lfg. Send a tell to xcelsius or thedeacon
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Another change

I think the problem here goes beyond the outdoor vs. indoor debate. The problems are:

Mobs are dumb
    All there is to do is kill things.

These two things must be changed for anarchy to last. There needs to be more to missions then moving from room to room and killing things. Heck, there are free MUDs out there that can accomplish more interesting things. Admittedly, its harder to add content to a modern 3D game then a text based MUD, but this is progress, and AO just doesn't appear to be capable of keeping up. AO needs to make it so there are decisions and thought involved in the missions and not just mind numbing repetition.

Mobs act like idiots. They have no sense of tactics. They behave like robots without intelligence. MOBs should not have to have uber stats to compete with humans. They should work together. They should flee when seriously injured. They should have good pathing, rather than zooming in random directions when trying to attack. They should use their nanos intelligently (no rooting with 5 hp left). Etc.

Ideally I'd like missions to be more than a set of rooms thrown together at random. Instead, it'd be nice to have it set up in a logical fashion. An office building would look and feel like an office building and not a random collection of rooms. Caves would have large caverns and narrow crevices, not a set of random rocky rooms. The Mobs would be logical. Security guards at the front would be strongest, and then the weaker workers would be located inside with a few exceptions.

These are problems both indoors and outdoors. Hopefully funcom will make both equally fun and advantageous. Its really a shame that they made the world look so good but set up the game so your doomed to wonder horrible looking dungeons all the time.
    L58 Fixer RK1

In my experiences the outdoor camps have only one major flaw, warping. Me and a group of people tried these when they first came out and tactics basically get thrown out the window other than "Tank beat on mob, healer heal tank, healer gets warped to mob and killed, everyone dies getting warped to mob".

One day I went to watch some 170+ people at the Ace camp. As they ran like hell to the border after the Trader and Doc were killed, the mob decided I would be a tasty snack and chain warped me to him just for kicks (I had 800+ runspeed and still couldn't get away).

Something just seems wrong when my only option is to use my 6 second evac to grid out (If I'm lucky) because even with eleventy billion runspeed I can't get away from something. Speed is one of the reasons I became a Fixer in the first place.......
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

we asked for outdoor hunting to be fun again. it was always fun, just not rewarding after they nerfed it.

we should have asked: make outdoor hunting rewarding enough so i can find a team willing to hunt.

positive suggestion to make missions better

By now we have all figured out there are a limited number of rooms that are put together at random according to a farely recognizable set of rules. Anyone who has made an effort to get good at blitzing knows these rules.

I suggest for team missions making sets of rooms that go together. This is just like the individual rooms that we have now, but they would be larger peices of a couple of rooms together. These rooms would be related to each other in some way. Puzzles, tricks, and items requiring profession specific or number specific items.

For example.
    room with a button that has to be held to keep a door open. Someone with a fast run speed would have to hold the button, while everyone else went through, then he would have to get through another way.

another example.
    doors that are timed to open and close. it would add a new level of excitement when blitzing to realize that there was the eight door corridor coming and the doors had to be timed right.

another example.
    swinging bridges (i hate these)

another example.
    doors have to be held open to keep another door open at a long corridor. It might mean sacrificing a pet, it might mean a uber run speed required, it might mean having to do parts of a mission while one person is left holding a door open.

another example.
    in mission mini missions. for example mini boss x has the key for the main boss room. Or the generator is going to blow, if you can get the slapon unit to it, you will be fine, otherwise, its lanterns.

another example.
    x number of buttons have to be hit simultanously, but when it happens, x number of mobs are released, so the challenge is for hte team to get back into fighting formation before all members are killed individually.

another example.
    solo portal, only one member can get into a room to perform a task. This is where profession specific tasks could really come into play. Traders and engies would be in great demand if the team mission stated you would need x in quantum field to finish, halfway through the mission you find the force field keeping you from the boss pin can only be removed by an engie in a solo portal room, and there are uber mobs in it.

another expample.
    NPC's in missions. Help, i'm lost, i dont know how to get out, and that monster wants to eat me. If you get me to the door, i will give you this item i wont need anymore because i am safe

another example.
    innocent mobs. You walk into a room, there is a mob who shold not be killed or you cant complete the mission. but overzelous n00b wants to kill everything.

another example.
    rising water levels, who wants to swim when there is a cyborg in the room.

another example.
    uber complex mazes. I hate them, dont do this. xp points for completeing the mission.

These changes would not be too difficult to include, and may be on the drawing board already. If you could impliment them sooner, i would deeply appreciate it.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Those are some fantastic ideas Animosity. Hope CZ or someone reads this thread.

Lot of good ideas here for indoors and outdoors.

BTW the warping thing isn't as bad now, if you have pets. only 50% or so of the time are my charmed pets freed with a boss warp.

If I start fighting a boss i can't handle I can get my bot and 2 charmed to work on him and make a break for it, once you are out of his agg radius, he keeps the hate but won't attack you again till you move back in to the radius, so there are ways to escape without being chain warped.

Personally, I dislike the whole warping thing. If anyone REMEMBERS why nano range and rifle range for that matter was nurfed to a 40m hard cap, it was because you could fight outside of a mobs attack radius and the mob was too dumb to find you. The DEVs said then that they had 2 options, one was to nurf range, the other was to have mobs warp to the players. They opted for the first, saying that the other option seemed cheep and unrealistic. Well guess what getting warped to a mob is? The exact same thing in reverse only worse, because half the time all of your charmed pets are freed and you are suddenly attacked by the boss and your 2 ex-charmed pets AND any other social mobs in the radius. Boss warping is the very same solution Funcom said was too cheep to implement instead of nurfing range, and now it's in the game.

Also, pet pathing needs to be fixed outdoors as well, it's not much better than indoors, pets get stuck on everything outside, and often they won't follow you if you are agged by a mob on the ground, they will just loiter by the mob that agged you. I find myself terminating lost pets all the time in PW.

Anyway, mobs need some brains and tactics, not cheep parlor tricks.

Exclamation The good old times

That was so long ago, when i went out to Omni Greater forest with my team, i think I was lvl 20 or something.
    We ran a long while, there was absolutely no end, but then, right behind those big Mountains in Mutant camp, we could see those light red creatures, i remember the Claws and eyes, those Eye guys.

Great times, we never had a doc, cant remember we had one, one ran in to the camp and dragged a bunch of eyes with him, took us 3 min to wipe em out, then our xp was half full, allmost.
    Then mighty with Monster Parts and xp we ran back to the little outreach outside Omni Entertainment.
    We shopped and went foreward, we where allways in the front.

But now, the wast resources of xp out there are never used, they say it is more xp in missions. But is it really that fun going in to the same rooms at least 3 times a day??

The little guys at that time was allways in the front , we were the one fighting the rebels, we where the one ruling MMD, we where the ONES.

What have happened to this world, do we just think about XP?? Do we just want money?
    We work in a big company yes, but now we just fight, we dont go in the mines for Notum anymore! Have we left earth for war?? Do we give birth to warriors?

We have to fight for our right to not fight (so much), pls!
    Thengol and Arnt united

Everyone wants XP. Everyone wants easy XP. When 14.5 first came live, a team of 150+ guildies went to PW cyborg camp and we had a blast. The only bad part was the fact that it takes SO long to get there. I'd like to see a small outpost close to a few of these camps. Something like "Bot Op" in GTC next to bot mountain and south of Temple. A superior shop, a guard (probably useless), an insurance terminal, reclaim, and a bank. Gotta keep people close to hunting areas and give people a common place to gather and /s LFG.. soon, the population at that outpost will grow, and outdoor hunting will make a comeback.
    Last edited by Nediar; Oct 25th, 2002 at 12:30:09.
    Waithe 133 Enforcer (my new main character)
    Nediar 180 Nano-Technician (boring. semi-retired)
    Uberned 127 Meta-Physicist (retired. pet pathing is "teh sux")

Nediar @ level 171