Thread: Try out the new AO Damage Meter (like those used in WoW)

Try out the new AO Damage Meter (like those used in WoW)

We've been working on AO Damage Meter, a damage meter like those used in WoW.

Here's a (limited) video demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4iU7KronOg

Here's the GitHub repo: https://github.com/nicgalehouse/AODamageMeter

Here's a link to a direct download of the current version: https://github.com/nicgalehouse/AODa...ter-v1.4.0.zip

It has some features you might like:

• Automatically configures combat log windows/files. If you have one already it'll find it, otherwise it'll create one for you.
    • Pulls in player bios from http://people.anarchy-online.com/ on the fly so you get nice tooltips, icons, and color coding.
    • Aggregates pets with masters using a naming convention (a pet named "Reimagine's robo" is by convention a pet of the player "Reimagine"), but exposes individualized pet/master detail rows when the master's row is expanded.
    • The interface looks pretty similar to AO's.
    • And the basics like pausing fights, viewing historical fights, scripts, and detailed stats for pretty much everything.

Hopefully it's pretty intuitive, but here are some instructions if you haven't used a damage meter like this before: Left-clicking on a row navigates down a level into its sub-rows and right-clicking anywhere navigates in reverse. Left-clicking on row icons is used to expand detail rows, like the individualized pet/master rows I mentioned above, or a preview of the rows that would be revealed by left-clicking on the row itself (in certain contexts). Hover over the left text or the right text of any row to reveal relevant informational tooltips. All data is exposable through a single script, /aodm. To populate the script with data, ctrl+left-click on any left tooltip, the middle part of a row (if it has sub-rows), or any right tooltip. The corresponding data is copied to your clipboard and into the /aodm script.

We haven't tested it extensively so we'd appreciate some people to try it out and give us some feedback, thanks! And oh yeah, it's targeting .NET 4.6.2 and we've only tried it on Windows 10.

• Update 1.1: Now supports dynamically adding pets. When in the Damage Done view of any fight, you can ctrl+right-click a row to assign that character as your pet. You can ctrl+shift+right-click a row, and then ctrl+shift+right-click a second row to add the first character as a pet of the second character--so it's flexible enough for you to wire up your teammates' pets as well. You can then ctrl+right-click on any pet detail row to unassign the pet. Pet assignments are saved and carried forward into the future. Thanks to Cratbureau for the suggestion!
    • Update 1.1: There is now special handling for crat pets. If no PVP has been observed in the fight and we believe the crat's pet in question is a charm, its damage against characters is rerouted to a special mob. For example, if you have charmed a Bloodcreeper, but you're also fighting Bloodcreepers, the damage Bloodcreepers do against players goes to a mob named "Bloodcreeper (mob)" so as to not inflate your own stats. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about those uncharmed Bloodcreepers hitting your charms, since it looks just like your charmed Bloodcreepers hitting uncharmed mobs. Thanks to Lazy for the suggestion!
    • Update 1.2: Added damage type breakdown to tooltips to help you determine the optimal reflect bracer/ShieldAC/AC choices for a given encounter.
    • Update 1.3: Separated regulars (normals, crits, glances) and specials in weapon damage %-breakdown to help evaluate the benefit of crit increase/decrease.
    • Update 1.3: Tracked nano interrupts (requires System channel).
    • Update 1.4: Tracked regular blockers from Keeper Ward nanos, improving accuracy of hit chance and hit attempt statistics (requires System channel).
    Last edited by baduizm; Apr 14th, 2018 at 08:02:31. Reason: Update 1.4.0

Seems to be mostly working with W7/64, except 2 things : as the autoconf didn't work i had to locate the correct Log.txt path manually (and also activate the combat window log within AO, as for any other dumper though) ; also, more problematic the option (geared icon) button makes the damage-meter crash down.

That said everything else seems to go well : i can pause/play the counter, reset with or without discarding current fight, browse through various displays using left/right clicking, choose the correct caracter with upper-left icon, resize/move the overlay anywhere on screen.

Very smart application, gratz !
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

N1 - working fine atm. Only thing I might add: Any chance to assign pets to players other than by convention?

KD

Oh dang bitnykk, thanks for trying it out. I wish I had a W7 machine so I could debug it. I'm sure there are supposed to be good ways for you to give me error logs but I don't really know how that's done.

And yeah Cratbureau that's a good idea thanks, not sure why I was focused on the naming convention so much. So I guess it'll either be some kind of pet entry UI during character selection/editing, or ctrl+right-clicking on a row (but only the first time, then future fights will remember), or both. I mean you're a crat and they don't always know what their pets are going to be so being able to do something on the fly would be nice. And so ctrl+right-clicking when it's already a pet would disassociate it.

Oh and just to mention, you can also name your pets the same as your character like you're used to for other damage dumpers and it'll do the aggregation/detail breakdown, putting all the pets under a character named something like "Reimagine's pets".
    Last edited by baduizm; Jun 26th, 2017 at 16:41:59.

how does the parser treat charms? does it know the difference between a mob the crat has charmed and other mobs with the same name fighting in the vicinity?

The logs don't expose that kind of information, it's just X hit Y for the most part. But you're right, with this new feature Cratbureau mentioned it'll be possible to add your charms as pets. I want to add some support for that to improve accuracy, but it's only possible up to an extent. Here's what I'm thinking:

If you ctrl+right-click to add an NPC as your pet, there'll now be two versions of that mob in the meter, charmed and uncharmed. When any mob with the name of the charm hits another NPC, it'll count towards the charmed version's damage. When any mob with the name of the charm hits another player, it'll count towards the uncharmed version's damage.

So the assumptions are: you're in PvM, not PvP (because in PvP charmed mobs can hit players), you're the only crat with that charmed mob in the fight, and you're not in one of the rare scenarios where uncharmed NPCs fight other uncharmed NPCs. If any of those assumptions are broken then you'll start to see inaccuracies with your own DPM (which is the most important value to get right). I think this is a pretty good approximation.

Some extra tiny details: This will also make use of the capability of the meter to properly recognize what's an NPC and what's a player; for example, it knows Grecko or Leet or Bloodcreeper is almost definitely an NPC, not a player. So if you happen to be fighting an Aquaan with a Bloodcreeper charm, it'll still count the Bloodcreeper towards your DPM, because it's very unlikely you're in a group with the level 217 Omni Fixer named Aquaan and that there's actually an uncharmed Bloodcreeper attacking her.

EDIT: So yeah, the one hole that remains and will probably always remain is when the uncharmed version of the mob attacks your charmed version, or attacks another charm, or any NPC. If your charms are tanking the same mobs that they're charmed from, you'll get extra damage. I guess that means the harder you debuff in that scenario the more accurate your DPM will be. I feel like this isn't a deal-breaker and there'd still be a lot of value in the feature, but let me know what you think. The step after this that'll probably never happen is estimating how much AAO the crat is granting their charm based upon the crat's level, and then establishing with some statistical significance whether the NPC's attacks should be counted towards the charm or towards the uncharmed version.
    Last edited by baduizm; Jun 26th, 2017 at 21:09:35.

Version 1.1 is out now with the changes to allow dynamically assigning pets and more accurate handling of crat charms (see top for details). Again thanks Cratbureau and Lazy for the suggestions!

Next I'll get a W7 VM and see if I can find out what the problems are for some of you guys.

(Oh and by the way, if you use the same folder for AO Damage Meter and just replace files whenever there's an update, it should automatically carry your settings forward... I should probably figure out a better approach though.)
    Last edited by baduizm; Jun 30th, 2017 at 08:03:13.

Hum.... assigning pets does not work very well... I have "renamed" crat pets and the Damage Meter seems to looks into the database to find out whether a name is give to a players char. Obviously one of my pets, "Supervisor", is a lvl 4 neutral Soldier... This pet is recognized by Dam Meter, I might assign it to my crat and all dam is counted.
    My other pet, "Office Punch", has no char-counterpart. And so it's not recognized by Dam Meter.
    Same goes if I rename my pets like "yxcvb" and "mnbvc" - both nothing which is in the database, so no damage.
    From what I just tested, I found out that only pets with a name of a real existing char are recognized and so "assignable".

Maybe you disable "Pulls in player bios from http://people.anarchy-online.com/ on the fly so you get nice tooltips, icons, and color coding." for a test?

KD

That looks awesome man, good job!

Thanks nepherius!

@Cratbureau: Well as you can see we haven't done any usability testing, I think this is just me not explaining things well. Pets are added through the Damage Done view, I thought it would be simpler that way because you can see the change immediately as the pet moves into or out of your detail rows.

But that means when in that view and trying to assign "Office Punch" as your pet, you'll need to go into the Options menu and enable top-level NPC rows. Otherwise he won't show up. And unfortunately you'll have to enable top-level zero damage rows if you're an MP and trying to add your healpet. But then after that configuration is done, feel free to turn those options off again. This also means you have to wait until the logs have seen your pet do something, of course. If that doesn't work then something is definitely wrong, so let me know! (If I had a list of all NPCs names in AO then this wouldn't be an issue, but I don't, so unless it's recognized as having a player-like name it starts out as an NPC.)

Now as for your issue of "Supervisor" being recognized as a player, it's not a huge deal but it is a little annoying to see the soldier icon when in, for example, the Damage Taken view. So to workaround that you can make the name invalid. You can do that in the obvious ways ("SUPERVISOR", "Supervisor!", " Supervisor " etc), by giving your pet a colored name, or by using the pet coloring system w/o actually coloring your pet, like so:
    Code:
    "Supervisor"
    Not a perfect fix and maybe I'll be able to find something better. But I think I want to allow players adding players as pets as a sort of sloppy way to of assessing team damage or something.
    Last edited by baduizm; Jun 30th, 2017 at 15:55:04.

This is really quite neat. Good job!
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by baduizm View Post
    But that means when in that view and trying to assign "Office Punch" as your pet, you'll need to go into the Options menu and enable top-level NPC rows. Otherwise he won't show up. And unfortunately you'll have to enable top-level zero damage rows if you're an MP and trying to add your healpet. But then after that configuration is done, feel free to turn those options off again. This also means you have to wait until the logs have seen your pet do something, of course. If that doesn't work then something is definitely wrong, so let me know! (If I had a list of all NPCs names in AO then this wouldn't be an issue, but I don't, so unless it's recognized as having a player-like name it starts out as an NPC.)

Now as for your issue of "Supervisor" being recognized as a player, it's not a huge deal but it is a little annoying to see the soldier icon when in, for example, the Damage Taken view. So to workaround that you can make the name invalid. You can do that in the obvious ways ("SUPERVISOR", "Supervisor!", " Supervisor " etc), by giving your pet a colored name, or by using the pet coloring system w/o actually coloring your pet, like so:
    Code:
    "Supervisor"
    Not a perfect fix and maybe I'll be able to find something better. But I think I want to allow players adding players as pets as a sort of sloppy way to of assessing team damage or something.
    "enable top-level NPC rows" - haha, yep, I had that off... Will try again, as well as the "invalid renaming".

KD

*EDIT*: Works like a charm now - big thanks!
    Last edited by Cratbureau; Jun 30th, 2017 at 17:03:27. Reason: Test done